• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp/Disrespect 2015 |OT| - Building a better quarterback

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechDX

I like that "doesn't throw interceptions" has been reclassified as a negative. This is on a level of stupidity on par with that guy that thought Rodgers should be throwing more interceptions to improve as a quarterback.

I don't think it is a negative but if your main focus is the run game you need a QB who can make deep throws to keep the defense honest. Most safe choice QB's cant do those and that is why they are safe choices

Godslay

Banned
Add me to to Eagles fanbase.

Also, is Madden 16 actually good, or is it just because it's the newest roster? I haven't bought a Madden since probably 08 because I wasn't noticing changes, but I kinda wanna play it again.

Go here and add yourself:
http://nflgaf.com/teams.aspx

Also I am not keeping track of anything (no IPs, email addresses or anything like that) aside from the following:

Username
Country
PSN
XBL
Steam
NNID
IsLifeLong
HallOfFame
HallOfShame
Active
JoinDate

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
So you're saying your coach purposely sabotaged his QB competition (along with his job) because.....of reasons? That makes no sense, if Mallet was flat out better than Hoyer why would Bob refuse to start him? What does he gain? What kind of a dumbass is he? This is the coach that you covet? You've got bigger problems if that's true....

how many fucking times do we have tell you people that it never was a competition? Like is it that hard to grasp that the coach *said* there was a competition, that doesn't actually mean there was one. Coaches say shit all the time and they never ever don't say what they actually mean?

Olivia%20Harlan%20sideline%20reporter%2002-S.jpg

Kevin Harlan's daughter Olivia.

Mallett is a prototypical gun slinger QB. he will make you go "WTF!?!" one play then "Holy shit! you see that?" the next. Big risk/ high reward.

Hoyer is the safe choice. "Game manager", "Makes safe boring throws" basically Matt Schaub 2.0. Low risk/low reward

O'Brien made the safe choice and for what I believe he is and will be it is disappointing.
I love how you are trying to peddle Mallett like he's Brett Favre or something. I'd say he's more of a Josh Freeman type of gunslinger.

brentech

I like that "doesn't throw interceptions" has been reclassified as a negative. This is on a level of stupidity on par with that guy that thought Rodgers should be throwing more interceptions to improve as a quarterback.
Basically this.
On the other hand, if you watched his games the stats do lie. He had a lot of shitty throws or bad decisions that should have got picked or were straight dropped by the D. His INT total should be much higher and he may have been the luckiest QB for 3/4 of the season.

Mallett is a prototypical gun slinger QB. he will make you go "WTF!?!" one play then "Holy shit! you see that?" the next. Big risk/ high reward.

Hoyer is the safe choice. "Game manager", "Makes safe boring throws" basically Matt Schaub 2.0. Low risk/low reward

O'Brien made the safe choice and for what I believe he is and will be it is disappointing.

My guess is he saw more of that than the "holy shit" moments, also like BigAT said...why is safe a bad thing? You're trying to win games not put up highlight reels.

how many fucking times do we have tell you people that it never was a competition? Like is it that hard to grasp that the coach *said* there was a competition, that doesn't actually mean there was one. Coaches say shit all the time and they never ever don't say what they actually mean?

And again even if that's true then your coach is an idiot if he's handing the job to someone (Hoyer) when he clearly has someone better (Mallet)...unless of course that other someone isn't better..... :eek:,

Godslay

Banned
I like how Godslay excluded me from the dump.

Go add yourself. Simple as that.

I'll update it periodically as people sign up.

Signed up. Are you a software developer?

Yes.

I took over some asp.net webforms projects, so to teach myself I whipped this up.

Added.

I have to go back to work, but I'll keep activating you guys as the day goes on.

I can redump it for you Act if need be, maybe just the people that sign up during the day.

Godslay

Banned
Ah nice. So it's mostly server side page generation? Also a software dev.

It's Entity Framework DB First generation.

Basically I built the database, imported as classes into a webforms project with an ADO.Net Entity Data Model.

From there it's just objects. Which I just bind to an Asp.Net server control (Repeater), and filter accordingly with an Entity class I built to retrieve the objects from the database using LINQ.

Not as complicated as it sounds, but that's the gist of it.

Signed Up.

What's this NFLGAF.com site all about anyway?

Just for fun.

Made it in my spare time to teach myself.

It's largely incomplete and has some test data in there, but figured it would be a good way to keep track of who belongs to what team.

Slay I added my new name, don't know if you want to delete chris.trejo or just edit that version.

Also Darkest (And fellow Dolphin fans) What do y'all think of Armandos suggestion to sit Tannehill if Fox isn't going to play this week?

And it says here the Dolphins might be smart to let quarterback Ryan Tannehill sit out the entire affair.

“That,” a Dolphins source said Monday when I posed the idea, “is kind of radical.”

I cannot argue. Preseason games offer important preparation for the next five do-or-die months of professional football, and this game is the most important of that bunch.

But no one can convince me risking the health of the starting quarterback in a preseason game simply to get some prep work is rational, considering the heightened risk Tannehill might face against the Atlanta Falcons.

captive

I like slay's list which properly has me down as a Colts fan
yesterday you freely admitted you were a colts, browns and eagles fan. Like really.

My guess is he saw more of that than the "holy shit" moments, also like BigAT said...why is safe a bad thing? You're trying to win games not put up highlight reels.
When you play not to lose, instead of playing to win you ultimately lose anyway. Just look at John Fox coached teams.

Colts defense saved

Demeco proved blown Achilles is a two year injury.

Chris just change your name back to chris.trejo ffs!! *prays

Rando Pls, chris.trejo is gone and nothing can bring him back :(

yesterday you freely admitted you were a colts, browns and eagles fan. Like really.

When you play not to lose, instead of playing to win you ultimately lose anyway. Just look at John Fox coached teams.

Demeco proved blown Achilles is a two year injury.

I guess....but neither QB is going to do much of anything so Bob is just looking out for himself. Can't draft a QB if you aren't on the team next year!

Quite possibly the saddest thing I have ever read here.

RIP Trejo

You have only yourself to blame.

I get where he's coming from but it doesn't seem realistic. I'd say start him and if he takes a few big shots early then get him out of there.

One hit is all it takes though, Thomas didn't play well against a depleted panthers Dline...

Godslay

Banned
Chris Trejo has been added to the Hall of Fame. May Tebow shine a light on his soul.

I added everyone else.

I'll be out for awhile, but I'll check on it later.

I also updated the Pats Superbowls to 4, whether they are legit is still up in the air.

bionic77

Requesting permission from the NFL GAF council to change team allegiance if the Rams move to LA and change their name to the Xtreme.
Permission granted, conditionally.

It is conditional on the basis that you denounce and renounce Tom Brady. You must make a clean break from both of your teams first before we can take you seriously. This must be notarized.

Otherwise you risk becoming squickens twin.

One hit is all it takes though, Thomas didn't play well against a depleted panthers Dline...
Preseason is always terrifying no matter who is starting on the o-line. The QB is going to take some hits as well as the rest of the team, plus you can have freak non-contact injuries like we got with Jordy Nelson and Kelvin Benjamin. Every time you step on the field it's a risk. I get that Tannehill will probably take more shots with Fox out but do you think he'd go 100% clean in 3 quarters even with Fox? That's why I think they should just see how it goes and pull the plug at the first sign of danger.

I think Tannehill needs these reps. He has never played in a game with Stills, Jennings, or Cameron so all of these plays are helping them build chemistry.

If Tannehill gets injured on his first hit in the game I will be super depressed but he's going to get hit in the preseason regardless.

captive

I guess....but neither QB is going to do much of anything so Bob is just looking out for himself. Can't draft a QB if you aren't on the team next year!
are you clairvoyant? Can I get the lotto numbers? I'll split the winnings with NFL GAF.

There's no possible way to know that about Mallet, he's played 2 real life games. Like ok if you *think* he'll suck fine, but there's no way to know that for sure unless he gets to play. Which is the point, none of us think he'll be great, but we want to find out for sure. He has a higher upside than Hoyer, that's all we want.

Permission granted, conditionally.

It is conditional on the basis that you denounce and renounce Tom Brady. You must make a clean break from both of your teams first before we can take you seriously. This must be notarized.

Otherwise you risk becoming squickens twin.

What if Brady is traded to the Xtreme to follow in the footsteps of the legendary Tommy Touchdown Maddox?

Wrayfield

Slay I added my new name, don't know if you want to delete chris.trejo or just edit that version.

Also Darkest (And fellow Dolphin fans) What do y'all think of Armandos suggestion to sit Tannehill if Fox isn't going to play this week?

Injury risk or not, I am a fan of as many reps as possible especially if you're not proven yet. Everyone throws for ~4k yards these days, Tanny's got tons to learn and even if it's just a series or two, I would like to see him in there. Fine with keeping him out for the fourth game when you just sort out reserves.

That said, I haven't seen a single preseason game, maybe he is ready. Or as ready as he can be. Not buying into the preseason stats hype. Which team was it won all 4 preseason games and lost all (?) regular season games? Lions, I believe.

Draxal

Honestly, I recall BIll Parcells telling this Simms about interceptions.

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blog...Parcells/05464d90-6f78-4e56-b617-b466a7f6f620

“His greatest line to me ever was during the opening game in 1984 and we’re walking out of the locker room. He said, ‘If you don’t throw two interceptions today, you’re not taking enough chances.’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom