• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp Thread |OT| - Make America Great For Once

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMczaf

NFL ‏@NFL 1h1 hour ago

UPDATE: #WASvsTB has been moved to Wednesday in an effort to avoid severe weather.

��: @NFLNetwork 8 p.m. ET

Wednesday Night Fuckball between Jabronis like DM and Slooter.

Fuck that Slooooot

Jameis gonna win!

Bread

Banned
We have monies.

Bread showed me photos of the monies.

:D
it's true! i have a lot of money
27434658_s.jpg

i took this picture

I finally got to rewatch the Eagles game. The 12 and 13 personnel sets they used in that game were amazing. So many possibilities for those packages. Three TEs that can run and are great at blocking, DGB who is a giant, and Mathews or Sproles in the backfield? There's so much they can do with those packages that it actually makes me excited for what the offense can achieve.

Hindl

I finally got to rewatch the Eagles game. The 12 and 13 personnel sets they used in that game were amazing. So many possibilities for those packages. Three TEs that can run and are great at blocking, DGB who is a giant, and Mathews or Sproles in the backfield? There's so much they can do with those packages that it actually makes me excited for what the offense can achieve.

Yeah this report has a pretty good breakdown:

http://www.phillyvoice.com/doug-pederson-master-obvious-using-his-skill-players-correctly/

I still don't think it'll be amazing, but it was heartening to see Doug actually play to his players' strengths. Bradford is a checkdown machine, so why not use the WCO that focuses on short and intermediate quick passes where he's accurate? We have three good tight ends, including the under-utilized Trey Burton, so use more 3 TE sets. Also, the TEs are good at blocking, which helps our suspect OL, so more reason to use 13 personnel and give multiple looks. Huff is great in space but can't catch for shit, so run jet sweeps to get him the ball easily. And lastly, using the different RBs to their strengths, Mathews as a power runner, putting Sproles in the slot, etc. A lot of this is basic stuff, but it's nice to see him playing to what our players can actually do instead of last year where Chip became one-dimensional.

Here's an even more thorough breakdown too:

http://chipwagon.typepad.com/eagles/2016/08/a-new-era-with-some-refreshing-changes.html

bionic77

I am glad that most of you are poor. Not because I hate you (though I do hate some of you). Some of you are bad (i.e. the Pats fans) and it is depressing seeing bad people succeed.

And the rest of you would probably not be able to handle all of the wealth correctly. You people would go all Rick James if you had money and start fucking up my nice couch and bring down the property values in the neighborhood.

Things are better with us olds handling all the money.

Hunter S.

The last time the Broncos were in this situation (1999), there was that camp battle between Bubby Brister and Brian Griese. Bubby pitched a fit when Griese was given the starting job. I don't know which Broncos team is in a worse QB position.
I know which team won the title(s) based off defense and which team won because of a great offense of that time with a good defense. Elway's last great year was also the last great year of T.D. His knees were shot after that...shame. Still is a legend here though.

This time the Broncos are returning their best defensive players, despite losing some goodies. But hey, the National media does follow the QBS and Peyton is the Goat and John is a legend. No surprises there.

Yeah this report has a pretty good breakdown:

http://www.phillyvoice.com/doug-pederson-master-obvious-using-his-skill-players-correctly/

I still don't think it'll be amazing, but it was heartening to see Doug actually play to his players' strengths. Bradford is a checkdown machine, so why not use the WCO that focuses on short and intermediate quick passes where he's accurate? We have three good tight ends, including the under-utilized Trey Burton, so use more 3 TE sets. Also, the TEs are good at blocking, which helps our suspect OL, so more reason to use 13 personnel and give multiple looks. Huff is great in space but can't catch for shit, so run jet sweeps to get him the ball easily. And lastly, using the different RBs to their strengths, Mathews as a power runner, putting Sproles in the slot, etc. A lot of this is basic stuff, but it's nice to see him playing to what our players can actually do instead of last year where Chip became one-dimensional.

Here's an even more thorough breakdown too:

http://chipwagon.typepad.com/eagles/2016/08/a-new-era-with-some-refreshing-changes.html

People have been whining about the DP choice for head coach a lot this off season, but he's already putting his players in a better position to play to their strengths in this preseason than Chip did in three years.

rando14

I am glad that most of you are poor. Not because I hate you (though I do hate some of you). Some of you are bad (i.e. the Pats fans) and it is depressing seeing bad people succeed.

And the rest of you would probably not be able to handle all of the wealth correctly. You people would go all Rick James if you had money and start fucking up my nice couch and bring down the property values in the neighborhood.

Things are better with us olds handling all the money.

What qualifies Olds vs Youngs, agewise?

I'll have money someday!! ...but will I be an old by then? 😞😞

Hindl

People have been whining about the DP choice for head coach a lot this off season, but he's already putting his players in a better position to play to their strengths in this preseason than Chip did in three years.

Agreed, he's playing with what he's got and makes me excited for when we can draft some actual talent for WR. It's preseason but there's been some creative looks, and he's surrounded himself with good positional coaches. He wasn't my first choice but I wanted to give him a chance before I raked him over the coals. Again, preseason means nothing but at the very least he's shown to be competent.

Agreed, he's playing with what he's got and makes me excited for when we can draft some actual talent for WR. It's preseason but there's been some creative looks, and he's surrounded himself with good positional coaches. He wasn't my first choice but I wanted to give him a chance before I raked him over the coals. Again, preseason means nothing but at the very least he's shown to be competent.

Yeah I mean it's not like I think based on preseason he's going to win coach of the year or something, but people were acting like since he had zero experience he would be in over his head and basically not even be prepared for a game. Instead we saw him come to every preseason game supremely prepared, with some unique looks, and effective game plans. If he approaches every regular season game exactly the same you can already discount the doom and gloom scenarios a lot of people have been painting about him being head coach.

Getting upset with a Cleveland fan for being poor? Isn't that like getting upset with a Packers fan for being white?
Exactly.. This prejudice is unacceptable BG.

Why bg hate #brokeboyz?
When Gata is right on something BG.. Every person needs to step back and reevaluate the

Lol if Floy actually bought the tickets I would have moved him down ten spots for getting ripped off
Edit: I think you're still ahead of confrontation though
I'm not last and that's okay

BG

floy is being bankrolled by breadstream corp
Absolutely and Breadstream is paying all my fines imposed by the Commissioner.

I'm set baby :)

No wonder he's broke
Worth more than Gatatech biiiiiiiiiiitch

We have monies.

Bread showed me photos of the monies.

:D
Me too DM :)

I mean DM has a history of being tricked by criminals.....
What are you implying?

The Steelers should trade Landry to the 'Boys for Zeke. Straight up.
How bout fuck you and stop taking everyone I like and trying to make me hate them Chuck.

What qualifies Olds vs Youngs, agewise?

I'll have money someday!! ...but will I be an old by then? 😞😞
You're going to be a doctor Rando.. So.. Yeah you will be old by then.

Line_HTX

So the Cowboys still haven't decided on putting Romo on IR Designated to Return because they want to see if he's ready to go by Week 6? What's the rush, why not wait the extra 2 weeks for Designated to Return?

So the Cowboys still haven't decided on putting Romo on IR Designated to Return because they want to see if he's ready to go by Week 6? What's the rush, why not wait the extra 2 weeks for Designated to Return?

Cowboys are knee deep in the fantasy of Romo having a magical Super Bowl run after one of his breaks.

MechDX

Don't have to designate "to return" anymore. Teams can pick one player who is on IR to return after 6 weeks

Oh boy....

Sielski: Eagles making sure Kendricks gets the message

An NFL team's fourth preseason game is supposed to be for the guys you don't know, the guys fighting for jobs in the league, hanging on to the hope that they'll be the 52nd name on the 53-man roster, that they'll land on the practice squad, that they'll have something resembling a future in pro football. It's not supposed to be for a player who has started 53 games at linebacker over the last four seasons, who ostensibly will be one of the Eagles' starting outside linebackers this season. It's not supposed to be for a player whom a team can't afford to lose. It's not supposed to be for, say, Mychal Kendricks.

Yet the Eagles' fourth preseason game is Thursday night against the New York Jets, and . . .

"There's a chance he plays," coach Doug Pederson said Monday.

What's going on here? Kendricks sat out the Eagles' first two preseason games with a hamstring injury then was on the field in the fourth quarter of Saturday's victory over the Indianapolis Colts - you know, the fourth quarter, with the backups and the maybes and the never-will-bes. Now, per Pederson, Kendricks might suit up against the Jets. Weird. Or perhaps not so weird.

"He hasn't played. He hasn't played," Pederson said. "We want to see him get game and live reps. That's the bottom line."

That's a strong sell there by a first-year NFL head coach. But it appears Kendricks will be the only prospective Eagles starter to play against the Jets, and having him do so smacks of the sort of message-sending test of an athlete's mettle seen at all levels of sport. If the Eagles were a high school basketball team, Kendricks would be running suicides after practice with the jayvees. If they were a high school swimming team, he'd be cleaning the pool after a meet. It's difficult not to see this decision as an indication that this new coaching staff is trying to . . . shall we say . . . encourage Kendricks to play through nagging, soft-tissue injuries that he might not have played through in the past.

Remember: He has never appeared in all 16 regular-season games since the Eagles made him a second-round draft pick in 2012. He missed four games in 2014 with a calf injury. If the Eagles, particularly defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz, regarded Kendricks as so essential to their defense that the unit would be damaged significantly by his absence, why risk sending him out there Thursday?

Neither Kendricks nor Schwartz was made available to the media Monday, but already the Eagles have provided some clues to how they'd answer those questions. At a minimum, they have taken Schwartz's insight and opinion into strong consideration when making player-personnel decisions intended to improve their defense. Leodis McKelvin, Ron Brooks, Nigel Bradham, and most recently Stephen Tulloch - all of these signees played for Schwartz with previous teams, and Bradham and Tulloch are linebackers. Are both of them here merely to push Kendricks, or is Schwartz that much more comfortable and confident in them? Kendricks is supposed to be part of the Eagles' nickel package, there to cover a tight end or a running back on a pass route - except he didn't play in the nickel at all against Indianapolis.

If nothing else, the Eagles are signaling that Kendricks needs to show them that he's more than just another dispensable cog on defense. Pederson can argue all he likes that the Eagles need a longer look at Kendricks in this new system or that they need to get him some reps to prepare him for the season opener against the Cleveland Browns on Sept. 11. But consider wide receiver Jordan Matthews, who injured his knee on Aug. 9, missed the team's three preseason games, and hadn't practiced again until Monday. He all but scoffed at the idea that he'd play against the Jets.

"That's always been that way," Matthews said. "I've never played in the fourth preseason game, so I don't really think of that as a big deal. And it wasn't just me. They were patient with a lot of the guys. Coach Pederson has played. He understands that you don't want a guy to come back and be 80, 70 (percent) unless you need him that day. Basically, the situation was the risk far outweighed the reward to rush me back just to get some reps in the preseason. So he saw that. The other coaches saw that."

They apparently see something different when they look at Mychal Kendricks. And for whatever reason, they need to see more of it Thursday, in a game that is never supposed to be for the guy he is supposed to be.

Farooq

Banned
Apparently the Giants put in a waiver prior to SD picking him up. But it's likely Dallas will get him like every other available QB under the sun, like last season.

Chargers tried to gauge interest in a trade, the Cowboys didn't bite. Cowboys waiver position may have something to do with that, although they weren't high on him coming out of college either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom