• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Pro Bowl Week: Neon Deion vs. The Fumbling Fraud

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
People here idiots and don't know how to drive in this weather. Other morning in all the ice I was just going slow and easy trying to avoid the morons doing 70 and sliding across lanes in front of me.

You just know the city is going to burn if Houston gets a sheet of ice. Mass riots, looting, etc.

It's not safe to drive on a normal day haha.

I can't imagine what the 59/610 interchange looks like in weather like that.

Every numbered Gears has sold at least 6m, and even GoWJ sold over 1.5m, so yes people definitely still care about Gears. It was the second biggest exclusive non-Nintendo ip last gen behind Halo.
I liked the series well enough until Judgment was announced. Didn't even bother with that one because of how boring and derivative it looked, just like God of War: Ascension. After seeing what a new studio did with Halo after Bungie I'm not convinced a new studio can make me care about Gears again, but if they take it off the beaten path enough it might get me back onboard.

Gears 3 was fantastic, though.

eznark

Banned
Nerdist? Is that gator for cerebral?

I liked the series well enough until Judment was announced. Didn't even bother with that one because of how boring and derivative it looked, just like God of War: Ascension. After seeing what a new studio did with Halo after Bungie I'm not convinced a new studio can make me care about Gears again, but if they take it off the beaten path enough it might get me back onboard.

Gears 3 was fantastic, though.

Didn't they hire a Gears retread? I played Gear 2 and lolol what trash.

ShaneB

People here idiots and don't know how to drive in this weather. Other morning in all the ice I was just going slow and easy trying to avoid the morons doing 70 and sliding across lanes in front of me.

3 rules of driving.

Slow down. Stop driving so close to other people. Pay Attention.

Multiply that tenfold during wintery conditions like today.

Nerdist? Is that gator for cerebral?

Didn't they hire a Gears retread? I played Gear 2 and lolol what trash.

Yeah they hired Rod Ferguson from Epic who worked on all the Gears games. I thought all 3 were fantastic, and GowJ was my favorite of all the Gears games so this is huge news for me. If you dont like Gears then obviously this news isnt for you.

eznark

Banned
What happened in Gears 3, I might have played that one as well. I played Gear 1 on PC but it was an early GFWL game and it was totally busted for me.

It's a sweet deal for Epic. How hard is it to create another generic steroid shooter?

1.5m people bought the latest outing according to you. Whoop de fucking do.

Would you say that the last of us was a big game? It sold 1.7m in the US so almost the same as GoWJ. God of War A also sold way less then the numbered God of War games, just like ODST sold less then the numbered Halo games. Side games always sell less then main games, it doesnt mean that people are no longer interested in the franchise.

I was reading Walter Football's "Most Overrated" list. He really doesn't like Wes Welker. Dude won two years in a row.

Wes Welker was No. 1 on this list last year. Here's what I wrote:

This is not a knee-jerk reaction to what happened in the Super Bowl. I've always believed that Wes Welker has been incredibly overrated. When the average fan puts together a list of the top receivers in the NFL, Welker is usually included. He shouldn't be.

Welker is just a slot receiver. He's a really, really good slot receiver, but a slot receiver nonetheless. Because of the monstrous stats he has posted the past five years, some football fans argue that he's on the level of Larry Fitzgerald and other wideouts of that ilk.

There's no denying that Welker is tremendous in New England's system, but I highly doubt he would be half as effective in a normal offense with an average quarterback. Welker just doesn't have the talent to be a No. 1 wideout. He's very smart and crafty, and he's a great guy to have on a team, despite what hot supermodels may think, but his ability to be as effective in another scheme is very debatable. Forum mod Injured Reserve once told me, "The difference between Wes Welker and Davone Bess is Tom Brady." Like Welker, Bess is just a slot receiver. Who's to say Bess wouldn't post 100-plus receptions playing in Welker's spot with Brady?

This stat may surprise you: Aside from Brandon Marshall, no receiver has more drops in the past two years than Welker (26). Sure, Welker has many more targets than the average wideout, but most of the passes that go his way are of the short variety.

So, perhaps that decisive play in the Super Bowl wasn't a fluke. Maybe Tom Brady's supermodel wife knows what she's talking about after all.

Let's check in and see how things went in 2012... Welker once again led the NFL in drops (15). And no, he didn't have the most targets. In fact, three players saw more balls thrown their way. And once again, unlike those wideouts (Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall and Reggie Wayne), the majority of passes Welker saw were thrown near the line of scrimmage.

Credit Bill Belichick for recognizing that Welker was more of a product of his system than anything. He refused to pay Welker, allowing him to walk to his quarterback's greatest rival. The media made a big deal out of this, but Belichick didn't give a damn. The Patriots will get equal or better production out of Danny Amendola as long as the former Ram can stay healthy.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Be8kF3LIcAALtpa.jpg

I like the potential Kubiack, Dennison, Shanahan hires, but I don't like them dubbing it a "coaching dream team". Calling something a dream team is like the kiss of death.

The studio? Obviously none since they are a new studio. There are over 50 people there at last count and I believe they said that the average experience was 12 years, so I am sure that they have worked on lots of different games.

That doesn't really matter. They're not going to have autonomy. They will do what MS tells them to do.

Not that it matters anyway because who could fuck up Gears?

I mean that I've never played Gears beyond picking it up for a few minutes at a friend's house, and I never really cared to. Too bro-tastic for me. And I don't get why every game has to revolve around shooting shit

lol. MS didnt even have an exclusive shooter at launch, so no every games doesnt revolve around shooting.

Tom Penny

I was reading Walter Football's "Most Overrated" list. He really doesn't like Wes Welker. Dude won two years in a row.

Glass Dola didn't match his production though. They still should have signed him based on the cost difference but personal got in the way of business. The Pats absolutely pegged his value correct though. I believe only Gata's Jags offered him more money.

Glass Dola didn't match his production though. They still should have signed him based on the cost difference but personal got in the way of business. The Pats absolutely pegged his value correct though. I believe only Gata's Jags offered him more money.

Julian Edelman did though. In fact Welker's stats in Denver and Edelman's on the Patriots line up almost exactly. Pats fans will take that to mean that Edelman is another superstar naturally.

Dola played with a detached groin muscle for practically the whole year so I'm going to give him a bit of a pass this year.

squicken

I like the potential Kubiack, Dennison, Shanahan hires, but I don't like them dubbing it a "coaching dream team". Calling something a dream team is like the kiss of death.

It's a great system for Flacco and the WRs. Not sure Rice is the right back for a one cut system, though. But it will take advantage of Flacco's big arm and if they can get the run game going successfully then Torrey Smith will blow up

Bummer for Cleveland. They really need a good offensive coordinator

e: Weird move by Ozzie and Biscotti, though. Seems like Harbaugh doesn't really have a lot of power there.

Tom Penny

Julian Edelman did though. In fact Welker's stats in Denver and Edelman's on the Patriots line up almost exactly.

I know but they didn't move Welker banking on Edelman. Edelman lines up on the outside much more than Dola who was supposed played Welkers position. Everything their offense did revloved around murderer and gimp anway and that went down the drain before the season even began. They literally changed their entire offense in one offseason. All they did was run 2 TE sets and went to a zero TE pass catching offense.

KingGondo

Banned
lol. MS didnt even have an exclusive shooter at launch, so no every games doesnt revolve around shooting.
Way to not read what I posted. This is why I don't go to Gaming side--because it's full of people like you who catch feelings based on other peoples' preference in entertainment.

The two biggest exclusive franchises for Xbox are Halo and Gears of War, right?

Halo: shooting shit
Gears: shooting shit

What other great experiences am I missing out on by sticking with PS3/PS4 and the handheld consoles? There are zero compelling reasons to get an Xbone as far as I can tell.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Way to not read what I posted. This is why I don't go to Gaming side--because it's full of people like you who catch feelings based on other peoples' preference in entertainment.

The two biggest exclusive franchises for Xbox are Halo and Gears of War, right?

Halo: shooting shit
Gears: shooting shit

What other great experiences am I missing out on by sticking with PS3/PS4 and the handheld consoles? There are zero compelling reasons to get an Xbone as far as I can tell.

What about keeping track your fantasy football team live on your tv instead of a browser or tablet?! Such technology.

Top Bottom