• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Super Bowl XLVII |OT| Where The Magic Happens

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Rotoworld Football ‏@Rotoworld_FB
Jets have explored idea of JaMarcus Russell

y3veMDg.gif

JaMarcus pulling from guard, leading a Sanchez QB run as Tebow blocks as fullback.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Maybe Flacco will be like Eli Manning and only convince me of his eliteness after winning two Super Bowls.

Eli signed a pretty large and questionable contract a number of years ago as well.

I think it's pretty rare for guys like Eli to improve noticeably from year to year though (non injury years anyway, that foot thing killed him in 2009 I think?)

Edit: if that's true about Jawalrus, contract the Jets.

Novid

Banned
The NFL has never had it good as it does now.

In the 60's the main network for there games got out beat by a old network, with a brand new tech- so much so they had to merge at the end of the decade.

in the 70's you had the midwestern problem, so many games airing at 2 because everybody had to be at church. Not only that- you get preemted for baseball.

in the start of the decade of the 80's you had the first game of the season air on fucking saturday with no major network covering because yeah...management was slow. oh and two strikes that would later kill ratings.

then in the mid 90's you lose the trusted NFL TV partner and we have a lost decade.

But after 2000, things got better and now people watch the the pro bowl more they they do the NBA, MLB or NHL finals.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Joe Flacco is going to get 20 million per.

Half the teams in the league want a QB. Flacco is a top 10 QB. Teams will pay him like he's one of the very best because he's young and there is no other option other than to pay him that kind of money.

I hope the Jets get him. Somehow.

Maybe Flacco will be like Eli Manning and only convince me of his eliteness after winning two Super Bowls.

Eli signed a pretty large and questionable contract a number of years ago as well.

I think it's pretty rare for guys like Eli to improve noticeably from year to year though (non injury years anyway, that foot thing killed him in 2009 I think?)

Edit: if that's true about Jawalrus, contract the Jets.
Nope. One of his best statistical seasons. The Giants offense was humming. The week after the injury he was on the field shredding the Raiders for 4 TD's in a half before sitting down for the second half and letting Carr take over. The Giants defense on the other hand was one of the worst in the history of the franchise under Bill Sheridan.

2010 was the 25 INT year and that was a combination of stupid decision making, revolving door on the offensive line and WR's and a bunch of tipped passes. By the end of the 2010 season, Mario Manningham was the only "name" WR left on the roster. Derek Hagan was a starter.

Fox318

Fuck you all.

This can't be true.
This can't be true.
This can't be true.
This can't be true.
This can't be true.
This can't be true.
This can't be true.
This can't be true.
This can't be true.
This can't be true.
This can't be true.
This can't be true.
This can't be true.
This can't be true.
This can't be true.
This can't be true.
This can't be true.
This can't be true.
This can't be true.
This can't be true.

Wow Matt Ryan is probably gonna target "Drew Brees money" (20 mil a year) as well. Is this a joke? brees is throwing 5000 yards and 40 tds a season, Matt Ryan is a goddamn scrub.

Wow Matt Ryan is probably gonna target "Drew Brees money" (20 mil a year) as well. Is this a joke? brees is throwing 5000 yards and 40 tds a season, Matt Ryan is a goddamn scrub.

Ryan benefits way more from the good team around him. Brees does it with no defense and no head coach.

Although fantasy points weren't that far off between the two.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Just heard about Flacco, is he fucking kidding? joe fucking flacco

I don't think you understand the concept of supply and demand.

Quarterbacks have historically been underpaid given their importance in the game.

Guys like Joe Flacco and Matt Ryan are top 10 quarterbacks. About half the teams in the league don't even have a legitimate starting quarterback. The guys who are in a tier above the likes of Flacco and Ryan will never hit the open market.

So your options are to hope to hit with some guy in the draft. By all accounts this is not going to be the year for that. So your options are to try to find a stop gap until you find that guy, and more than likely fail, or to go "overpay" a Joe Flacco (and its really not an overpay).

The Jets have never had a top 10 QB in a season at any point in the history of their franchise. The closest was like Chad Pennington for a year or two. Thats it. It's literally been futility every season - year in and year out.

I honestly think making Flacco one of the highest paid in the league would be the right move. There is not a chance in hell the Jets would be able to find a QB as good as Flacco in the next 5 years. Hell maybe never.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Fuck you all.

This can't be true.
This can't be true.
This can't be true.
This can't be true.
This can't be true.
This can't be true.
This can't be true.
This can't be true.
This can't be true.
This can't be true.
This can't be true.
This can't be true.
This can't be true.
This can't be true.
This can't be true.
This can't be true.
This can't be true.
This can't be true.
This can't be true.
This can't be true.

Sorry bro.

Sanjuro

Quarterbacks have historically been underpaid given their importance in the game.

Guys like Joe Flacco and Matt Ryan are top 10 quarterbacks. About half the teams in the league don't even have a legitimate starting quarterback. The guys who are in a tier above the likes of Flacco and Ryan will never hit the open market.

So your options are to hope to hit with some guy in the draft. By all accounts this is not going to be the year for that. So your options are to try to find a stop gap until you find that guy, and more than likely fail, or to go "overpay" a Joe Flacco (and its really not an overpay).

The Jets have never had a top 10 QB in a season at any point in the history of their franchise. The closest was like Chad Pennington for a year or two. Thats it. It's literally been futility every season - year in and year out.

I honestly think making Flacco one of the highest paid in the league would be the right move. There is not a chance in hell the Jets would be able to find a QB as good as Flacco in the next 5 years. Hell maybe never.

Alex Smith!

Dennis Manoloff ‏ @ dmansworldpd
Schefty, on if 49ers were to eat Alex Smith roster bonus and cut him: "then there would be more speculation on whether Smith's next stop...

".....would be Kansas City, Cleveland or some other quarterback-needing nfl city." Schefty is piped in; he didn't name 2 teams by accident.

Schefty name-dropping KC and Cle as possible destinations should Alex Smith get released tells me # browns are serious about Smitty.
Yes, Let it begin

i hope alex goes to cleveland or KC. i will always root for him to have success but i can't do that if he goes to the cardinals (not sure of any other NFC teams he would possibly go to).

i actually think he is a good fit for cleveland and KC. i think they can both run and both have good defenses

cdyhybrid

Poor Alex. Plays well enough to get the team to the Super Bowl, sacrifices his body for the team, loses his job to injury, and then gets banished to Cleveland. Let The Curse of Alex Smith begin.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

Flacco: 116 passes of more than 20 yards. 15 TDs off those, 0 INTs. Not elite. Not too fucking bad though.

Poor Alex. Plays well enough to get the team to the Super Bowl, sacrifices his body for the team, loses his job to injury, and then gets banished to Cleveland. Let The Curse of Alex Smith begin.

when does the curse of matt flynn begin? at least we let alex taste some success. the seachickens took flynn off the market with the promise to start and then just obliterated his soul and wasted a year of his life!

Sanjuro

The differences between Flacco and Smith are very little. Both are excellent game managers who are not going to get you in trouble. Problem with Smith, I'm not sure any other team is going to have defense even remotely as good as SF or have some of the best receivers in the game.

squicken

Chud and Norv like the vertical passing game. KC is the better fit, though Alex is a stop gap. Better have a development guy in the works

Drakeon

The differences between Flacco and Smith are very little. Both are excellent game managers who are not going to get you in trouble. Problem with Smith, I'm not sure any other team is going to have defense even remotely as good as SF or have some of the best receivers in the game.

Flacco has a cannon arm though, whereas Smith does not. Yeah, he makes more mistakes, but he's always more physically gifted.

cdyhybrid

when does the curse of matt flynn begin? at least we let alex taste some success. the seachickens took flynn off the market with the promise to start and then just obliterated his soul and wasted a year of his life!

There was no promise to start. Pete's whole M.O. is competition every day. He knew what he was getting into.

Chud and Norv like the vertical passing game. KC is the better fit, though Alex is a stop gap. Better have a development guy in the works

Yep, I don't see Alex coming here. It's why I'm afraid Lombardi will do something stupid and trade to much to get Mallet in CLE.

Although I do think Norv and Chud can make Weeden a lot better. I do love his arm.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Nope. One of his best statistical seasons. The Giants offense was humming. The week after the injury he was on the field shredding the Raiders for 4 TD's in a half before sitting down for the second half and letting Carr take over. The Giants defense on the other hand was one of the worst in the history of the franchise under Bill Sheridan.

2010 was the 25 INT year and that was a combination of stupid decision making, revolving door on the offensive line and WR's and a bunch of tipped passes. By the end of the 2010 season, Mario Manningham was the only "name" WR left on the roster. Derek Hagan was a starter.

Okay I'm getting 2010 confused with 2009 then anyway.

I guess the point I'd make is that we didn't call Eli elite after he won his first Super Bowl so even if Flacco does win, not sure that I'd be ready to put him into that tier either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom