• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Training Camp/Preseason Thread 2012 - A Farewell to snes :(

bionic77

Reading the internet today, I guess the Packers season is already over. Well, we had a good run. Trade Rodgers for draft picks please.
The opposite happened with the Steelers. Our first teams dominated team Dynasty, and that was without Mike Wallace. It might be slightly premature but I think we might be taking the title (of team dynasty, which I value more than one Superbowl or 15 high school championships).

And don't be too hard on Rodgers. He may not be a starting qb anymore but we all know he is a capable backup.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
the head ref in the redskins game looked familiar, like he was a former ref, not sure though.

effzee

No I meant the Nuggets. They got the worst player in the trade. I said last year I was not a big 6ers fan because AI was on the team. He is so bad, he acts like a star, he forces up 3s at the buzzer, he insists on shooting from the outside. The 6ers could have got nothing back and I would be jumping for joy.

AI a bad player? He isn't a superstar but he is a great defender and its not like the Sixers have/had much fire power on offense. And he fits in Denver because no one even thinks about playing D on their team.

Terrible trade overall for Orlando though. They had a better offer from Atl, Houston, and NJ. And Dwight was ready to go to NJ yet they turned that offer down? WTF?

Wrayfield

AI a bad player? He isn't a superstar but he is a great defender and its not like the Sixers much fire power on offense. And he fits in Denver because no one even thinks about playing D on their team.

Iggy?

Edit: nvm, interesting trade, but it's not the NBA thread. Actually quite like the trade for the Sixers.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
We better have weekly threads. I always love the headlines and pics/gifs that go up in them. Nothing on sports-gaf compares.

Milchjon

We better have weekly threads. I always love the headlines and pics/gifs that go up in them. Nothing on sports-gaf compares.

Yeah, after the preseason I don't see why not.

I also think Megathreads aren't practical for NFL-GAF. This one is already a quarter full, and we haven't even made it through the first week of preseason football.

Dragon

Banned
He looked alright but he was a little slow and the defense got their hands on his passes like half the time. He was getting plenty of time, which is good.

Yeah not sure what yankeehater was watching (maybe he was holding his breath for Michael VIRck's sake).

eznark

Banned
Sadly I know that feel.

This shitty thing is I am only in this office like twice a month so I don't really have the call to tell her to shut the fuck up and no one else seems to mind. I'm thinking of ordering a singing telegram to come and sing to her telling her she is fat and needs to stop warbling.

This shitty thing is I am only in this office like twice a month so I don't really have the call to tell her to shut the fuck up and no one else seems to mind. I'm thinking of ordering a singing telegram to come and sing to her telling her she is fat and needs to stop warbling.

Why do you hate people?

Yeah not sure what yankeehater was watching (maybe he was holding his breath for Michael VIRck's sake).

I saw Manning come out and throw the ball around after all the offseason talk about him having no strength in his arm he was able to get the ball to guys. I thought he looked much better then I thought he would have at this point.

eznark

Banned
Yeah, I could tolerate the music. It's the mis-timed and off-tune singing by an overly cheery obese girl that is killing me.

Dragon

Banned
The orca fat receptionist at the office I am using today is screeching fucking Disney songs.

Yeah, I could tolerate the music. It's the mis-timed and off-tune singing by an overly cheery obese girl that is killing me.

Just painting a word picture.

I was stressed earlier this week too. Then I got shit done and had a beer after work and felt a million times better. Even if it was shitty Brooklyn Summer.

TheFatOne

Greg Bedard on Chandler Jones strength.

Greg Bedard said:
That has been a huge surprise. Jones placed 37th among defensive linemen at the combine with 22 reps on the 225-pound bench press. And when he appeared at Gillette after the draft, it was impossible not to notice how skinny he was. It looked highly unlikely that he would be able to do the first job required to play every down at end for Bill Belichick: hold the edge against the run.

But when training camp rolled around, Jones was much bigger and stronger.

NFL scouts said it was widely known that Jones cut weight in the lead-up to the draft because he didn’t know what position he would play in the NFL. He wanted to be attractive to both 3-4 (at outside linebacker) and 4-3 (at end) teams. So he played the tweener role to the extreme.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...makes_quite_a_first_impressions_for_patriots/

bionic77

I saw Manning come out and throw the ball around after all the offseason talk about him having no strength in his arm he was able to get the ball to guys. I thought he looked much better then I thought he would have at this point.
He didn't look like the Manning of old, but he looked like a pretty good qb (top 10 qb). Definite loss of arm strength, not sure that is coming back. But I would have to imagine that his rust (loss of timing and some accuracy issues) is going to get better as the season comes along.

Btw, what was the explanation for Nnamdi on that blown coverage on that TD? I thought he was going to be a man to man guy from now on? He looked lost on that play...

Ænima

I'd be mildly offended if Cuevas wasn't on GAF every Friday night drunkenly relaying his clumsy and failed attempts at picking up women.
tumblr_m78m0vCZsI1qj6z95o2_250.gif

Great first half by the Steelers everywhere but on the O-Line. Adams got beat twice, both for fumbles that he (thankfully) recovered. Gilbert decided not to show up. The interior was good. All these complaints about Decastro from TC but he was a rock come gametime. He blew open a huge hole for Dwyer to breeze through in the game. Still had some rookie lapses, but the talent we've heard about was still on display. Pouncey was Pouncey, and Foster held his own.

First team offense wasn't in for very long but I saw what I was hoping from AB - picking up where he left off. While this is his 3rd season it's really his sophomore year as a starter so i'm worried we might see a slump, especially with Wallace not taking up double teams. Brown looked good for the time he was in. Sanders looked good as well. Again, if Wallace doesn't show up we need a big year from him.

First team D was on for such a short time it was hard to read anything on them, so I mainly focused on the D-Line. McClendon is a force. He was breaking the Eagles O-Line on almost every play. Hood was generally invisible, but again, they weren't out there long.

Game was dominated by mostly scrubs after that, so I didn't watch much of the second half, but Rainey was amazing. immediately noticeable speed and shiftiness. Get him in space and he'll tear it up, but if anybody gets their hands on him he's down for sure. Guy is little. I spent the rest of the game watching Sean Spence. The guy has all the tools mentally, he just needs size. I really want the guy to succeed at the NFL level, but so far it seem that he can't shed blockers when engaged.

Also, it's just now sinking in just how new this team is. New numbers to learn everywhere, some players with longtime Steelers jerseys. Weird seeing Maze with Jeef Reed's number 3, Corbin Bryant with Smith's 91 and Spence with Farrior's 51. Past seasons it was gradual, so it was easier to accept.
He didn't look like the Manning of old, but he looked like a pretty good qb (top 10 qb). Definite loss of arm strength, not sure that is coming back. But I would have to imagine that his rust (loss of timing and some accuracy issues) is going to get better as the season comes along.

I don't remember receivers having to come back to the ball or having to deal with as many bounce passes before.

There is something weird about RG3's passing mechanics. He has a little hitch at the end of the throw that almost makes it look like he's throwing downward. It's not Tebow bad, and he actually has a fairly fast release and gets a lot of zip on his passes so I don't know if it's anything to worry about.

Btw, what was the explanation for Nnamdi on that blown coverage on that TD? I thought he was going to be a man to man guy from now on? He looked lost on that play...

The Nnamdi play was just due to confusion. He thought he had help inside so he was taking the outside stuff away in they threw a fade there, but the safety didnt pick up the inside routes so the WR was wide open. Hopefully they have a ton of time to get that stuff cleaned up.

There is something weird about RG3's passing mechanics. He has a little hitch at the end of the throw that almost makes it look like he's throwing downward. It's not Tebow bad, and he actually has a fairly fast release and gets a lot of zip on his passes so I don't know if it's anything to worry about.
03marion_span-articleLarge.jpg

nothing to worry about at all

Texans 2012 prognosis:

They will whoop ass. Patriots suck. Superbowl or bust!

#BULLSONPARADE

There ya go

You could have at least included some tweets from players about how hard they are working, or maybe something from a local beat writer talking about how the Texans are the bestest team ever.

I hate the Falcons beat writer at the AJC. Headline for last night's game, "Ravens rout Falcons". Then if you read the article, he talks about how Flacco took advantage of our linebackers but fails to mention that it was the second string he was picking on aside from Dent when they made that drive.

Ugh, I wish the AJC would hire some decent writers for all of the Atlanta teams.

The starters looked great, our backups not so much but looking around the league and at some of the comments in here, that appears to be more of an indictment of the "new" training camp and offseason rules than anything else.

Top Bottom