• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Training Camp/Preseason Thread 2012 - A Farewell to snes :(

Fox318

College sports are stupid.

Its an excuse to get funds for important programs because no community cares if the chemistry or arts departments are doing good.

But them boys on Saturday is wut matters.

I'd like to see more shirts advertising school departments instead of mascots.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

Its an excuse to get funds for important programs because no community cares if the chemistry or arts departments are doing good.

Spoken like a true man of the south.

Slo

I'm as much of an advocate for education as the next guy, but this post is somewhat.....masturbatory. So you're above colleges doing fund raising by selling a product that people want to pay for? Are you also irritated at girl scouts for selling cookies instead doing....whatever the hell it is that girl scouts do when they're not selling cookies?

bionic77

That is what Ivy League schools are for.

The rest of the schools are there to take our money, put us in debt, and delude us into thinking it was a worthwhile investment. You may disagree, but I think they are doing a fine job at all 3!

Talon

Looks like your english department didn't do so well.

We all got department shirts. I have Medill Journalism stuff lying around. I know McCormick Engineering and Bienen Music School stuff is given out all the time, too.

Plus the ISP master race.

MechDX

Calvin%252520stiff.gif

pshhh...

139795_o.gif

2s1rhxg.gif

And just because:
andre-johnson-beats-courtland-o.gif

Fox318

I'm as much of an advocate for education as the next guy, but this post is somewhat.....masturbatory. So you're above colleges doing fund raising by selling a product that people want to pay for? Are you also irritated at girl scouts for selling cookies instead doing....whatever the hell it is that girl scouts do when they're not selling cookies?
At least raising money with cookies teaches the girls about the economy and can be an activity that provides real life skills.

Looks like your english department didn't do so well.

We all got department shirts. I have Medill Journalism stuff lying around. I know McCormick Engineering and Bienen Music School stuff is given out all the time, too.

Plus the ISP master race.
What percentage of those shirts advertise programs that train young adults for a better future versus ones which advertise an anthropomorphic figure?

MechDX

That is a nice 15 yard gain.

CalvinJohnson96ydTouchdown2flv.gif

No need to go through tackles when you cant even touch him.

And we had a historically bad defense then. Can I gif 60 years worth of complete fail?

To think you could have had Dre 10 years ago but you took Charles Rogers. jnfc

bionic77

How did DeCastro do last night?
Solid.

Adams was whiffing on everyone. He looked like a rookie. Hopefully he can evolve past that. Hard to win when your left tackle can't even get his hands on the defender. It was giving me Scott flashbacks. Adams can at least move well but he has to put together and has to be a lot more aggressive.

MechDX

Did not realize Andre played for 60 Years?

I megatron is worth 10 CR failures.

So the Detroit school system doesn't teach word comprehension? Your entire franchise is 60 years of mediocrity. At least I only had to suffer for 9.

We will see on Thanksgiving who is better if your team doesnt have to forfeit due to imprisonment.

He had David Carr throwing to him for 5 years.....DAVID FUCKING CARR.

If you are interested, I would be willing to trade you Maurice Stovall and a future 7th for Dre. Finally get him a competent QB and you can watch him flourish along side Megatron

And lets be fair, David Carr is just as good (if not better) as what Detroit fielded before Stafford finally had a healthy season.

? How long have you been watching football?

Since yesterday

beast786

So the Detroit school system doesn't teach word comprehension? Your entire franchise is 60 years of mediocrity. At least I only had to suffer for 9.

We will see on Thanksgiving who is better if your team doesnt have to forfeit due to imprisonment.

That has been your total existence. If that is your saving grace then good for you.

Cant wait for your team to show up on thanksgiving day. Hopefully your team at least is playing for the draft.

MechDX

That has been your total existence. If that is your saving grace then good for you.

Cant wait for your team to show up on thanksgiving day. Hopefully your team at least is playing for the draft.

250px-Madden_NFL_13_Cover.jpg

No worries. Tendons popped by week 3.

When he's healthy, he's so strong. Gotta respect him.

Still gonna get schooled by the Pats though.

Dre vs Edelman. As much as logic tells me otherwise Ill take Dre.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
image.php

See, this would be funny if I knew who you were or what team you root for. But you have made so few appearances in this thread that it doesn't matter. Prove me wrong come regular season and post in the weekly threads with more than a drive by. But I doubt I'll have to worry about that.

Maybe you should check back through the threads then.

That being said Dre has only ever had 2 seasons less than 13 games, and during his stretch he's always in the top 3.

edit-

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=382299
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=383472
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=381710
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=379338
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=377462

hmm my name is on all of these, all the way back to 2009? How come you're not listed?

See, this would be funny if I knew who you were or what team you root for. But you have made so few appearances in this thread that it doesn't matter. Prove me wrong come regular season and post in the weekly threads with more than a drive by. But I doubt I'll have to worry about that.

He roots for the team that is gonna win the next Super Bowl, quite the regular poster during the regular season.

Also,

f5MAh.jpg

I wouldn't.

eznark

Banned
image.php

I love you gold, but I'm pretty sure he posts a fair bit. At least enough that I recognized what team he rooted for.

The most overrated one, just like his avatar.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I love you gold, but I'm pretty sure he posts a fair bit. At least enough that I recognized what team he rooted for.

The most overrated one, just like his avatar.

Aww low blow, I'm used to the Pats hate, but Uncharted? Cmon.

edit- damn I swear everytime I see a new picture of rex he's lost another 20 pounds.

Maybe you should check back through the threads then.

That being said Dre has only ever had 2 seasons less than 13 games, and during his stretch he's always in the top 3.

Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but his stretch is over. Schaub and his noodle arm won't get it done this year. Andre can only do so much by himself. With no talent at any other position on offense aside from Foster, he will struggle to be top 10 this year. Meanwhile, Megatron is primed for back to back top 1 seasons thanks in part to a front office that is no longer incompetent at infusing a team with talent and the madden cover blessing.

I hope some day the Texans can find the courage Detroit did to get away from their abusive couplings, such as Wayne Fontes and Matt Millen. But I fear Kubiak bought himself even more time with the playoff berth last year. God Speed, Texans

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Brownie_Logo.gif

Let's kick this off with after all the good fortune and optimism that came with Jimmy Haslam taking over as the new owner things went directly into the shitpile with major injuries, suspensions and possible suspensions for four starters on the defense (Joe Haden, Scott Fujita, Chris Gocong, Phil Taylor) so once again it's "fun times in Cleveland again!"

But with all that said there is room for some optimism. This team isn't going to be competing for the AFC North crown nor should they but with a potentially improved offense and a defense that was the definition of bend don't break they may be able to pull of a few upsets and possibly get to around 6-7 wins this year.

Offense
i.png

QB - Out with the old and in with the...old?!?! As we all know the Browns used their 22nd pick this year to select the 29 year old Brandon Weeden. Old man Weeden will be taking over an offense that if you were to call it terrible would actually be way to polite. Having watched all of the Browns games last year the offense was vomit worthy. The hope is with bringing in Weeden the Browns may have finally found a QB who will finally be able to run the west coast offense and be able to throw the ball down the field when needed but to do this he'll need some targets. what to keep an eye out for is to see how he handles the pass rush as he mostly threw from the shotgun all through college.

As of now Colt McCoy will be the backup if possible the Browns will trade him and won't be asking for much. They do understand the situation he's in and want to give him a fair shake somewhere else. I still think he can be a servicable backup somewhere in the league but it won't be in Cleveland.

Seneca Wallace comes in after McCoy, his days could be numbered here as well with the rumours of Holmgren stepping down.

l5393152.jpg

WR - Greg Little is our #1 he came off a pretty up and down rookie season. He put up pretty decent stats (61 recs, 709yds, 2TDs) All in all not bad for a guy who had to take a full year off from football due to being suspended in college. He came to training camp this year having slimmed down about 15 pounds. It's showing, he's been a lot more fluid and is making a lot more plays in training camp. Despite all that though he has got to hang onto the football. He led all rookies with 14 drops last year. If he's able to improve upon that with Weeden as his QB he may be able to come close to hitting 1000 yards.

Mohammed Massaquoi was just awful last season, he had two concussions last year and just couldn't get anything going. The front office is expecting big things from him this year and at least from training camp he seems to have gotten over his previous injuries. This is a big year for him, if he falters he will easily drop down the depth chart with the potential for a few rookies to overtake him. He will need to improve on his totals in his 3 seasons in the league he's only averaged about 33-34 recs a year.

Josh Gordon is one of those rookies. Taken with a 2nd rounder in the supplemental draft the front office believes he has the talent to be the #1 on this team. The thought going into this season was due to him missing out on last season he wouldn't see any real actions until about game 3 or 4 but with how impressive he's been in training camp it seems he's going to be just put out there. Every report I've read on him in training camp so far is that he is a beast, he has been hauling in almost every pass thrown to him and he's built a pretty good relationship with Weeden already.

Travis Benjamin is another rookie WR who has done nothing but up his stock since OTAs. He came into OTAs and looked absolutely terrible but he credits an offseason working with Andre Johnson and a few other WRs to his sudden drastic improvement. Since training camp has started he has pretty much been catching everything thrown his way. He already was a speed threat (dat 40 time of 4.36) but with his tenacity towards making a big play he may see himself inserted into the lineup, currently he is #4 on the depth chart. He may also get some work on punt returns as the Browns seem to be shifting Josh Cribbs towards more kick returns and coverage. The one thing to watch out though for him is he is undersized (5'10, 170lbs) so keep an eye on if he's able to handle the knocks he'll get from corners in this league.

After these four there isn't much of anything else. The only darkhorse I could really talk about is Josh Cooper. Undrafted rookie who was the slot receiver for Weeden in college. I don't expect him to make it onto the roster though.

20120612_kdl_ar7_152_extra_large.jpg

RB - Trent Richardson will be a huge reason for if the Browns falter or do well this season. His tenure is already off to a bad start with the "minor" surgery he had on his knee yesterday. All reports are expecting him to be ready for week 1. He should be on the field pretty much all the time, the Browns liked the fact that while he may not have blazing speed he's a big bruiser and he is willing and able to block. A fantasy side of it he may be the only Browns player you may use a pick on. He should get the majority of the carries for this offense.

Montario Hardesty will be the back up to Trent. The Browns took a gamble on him two seasons ago by moving up to draft him. He already had an injury history in college and he seemed to continue in that trend being injured most of his NFL career. He seems to have come into camp this year with a new attitude. He has been impressing so far and with Trent out for the preseason we will get to see a healthy dose of him.

Brandon Jackson is the only other RB who should get significant time (barring injuries) this year. He was signed last year to help compliment Hillis but he suffered a season ending injury in the preseason. I don't know much about him other than those few games he played with Green Bay so can't really comment on him.

FB - Nothing to say here it's Owen Marecic's job to lose, and he won't.

TE - This is the only position on the Browns I feel is truly up for grabs. Currently the Browns have 4 guys who they will use as TE through the year. 3 of which have a chance to be the starter now:

Benjamin Watson as of right now is the starter, he has the most experience here and if not for some concussions issues last year would have put up some solid numbers.

Evan Moore is currently injured but when healthy he was a red zone target for the offense. He's big and very athletic.

j.png

Jordan Cameron is who the front office is hoping will be the TE of the future. They took a gamble on him last season drafting him late. He has a basketball background but hasn't played much football. From all reports the coaching staff have high expectations for him this year and in the preseason you will see him out there a lot. If he's able to show an ability to pick up the blitz and help on blocking he could become the starter before the end of the year. The coaching staff is definitely going to give him every opportunity to snatch it away from Ben Watson. So far in training camp he is the one player everyone has been talking about making a huge step forward in his development. He is definitely the most raw talent we have on this team.

Alex Smith is our blocking tight end, offensively he'll give us nothing.

JoeThomasGoneFishing.jpg

OL - We got two probowlers in Center Alex Mack and dreamboat/hero of the people Left Tackle Joe Thomas. Pinkston did a pretty good job at LG and will continue to be there. The major problem with the OL was on the right side. The Browns went out and drafted RT Mitchell Schwartz with their second round pick to help shore it up. He should get the nod right from the start as our starter there.

Defense

joe_haden_sm.jpg

I'll be grouping everything together here as I'm still not knowledgeable enough to know the difference between DE/DT/LB. The Browns were dreadful in rush defense. Without looking I am pretty sure they were bottom 5 in that category yet they were top 5 in pass rush. The rush D should continue to be an area of concern with as stated above a decent amount of starters won't be around for the first few games. We'll be relying mostly on Jabaal Sheard to continue from a strong rookie season to attack the QB but frankly without Phil Taylor there I'm not expecting much. In the secondary we're looking to have a strong bounceback season by SS TJ Ward, he had a solid rookie season but injuries forced him to miss most of the games last year. As well a shock to a lot of fans was that FS will be played by Eric Hagg. He was selected 248th overall in the 7th round of the draft and ended up having a real solid rookie season before his injury. The front office is hoping he can continue on that success. Joe Haden had a decent year but where this secondary needs to improve is on takeaways which the majority of which will fall on Haden. He had zero INTs last year but not without having some chances. He couldn't hang on to a plethora of passes thrown his way. Otherwise on the opposite end we have the veteran Sheldon Brown, the Browns have no plans to move him from CB nor should they yet. He is reliable out there and he's not going to be guarding the top players. With Buster Skrine, Dimitri Patterson and Usama Young as the backups the Secondary is one of the few places the Browns actually have some good depth.

Special Teams

This is one of the few areas the Browns are pretty good at. The goal this year seems to be having Josh Cribbs focus more on special teams then as a WR. He will still get some work at WR but it won't be as much as he did last year. We also have Reggie Hodges coming back from a devastating knee injury he suffered in training camp last year. Reggie is a solid punter and two seasons ago had a fantastic year. If he can regain his form don't be surprised to see a lot of teams start off deep in their own zone on a regular basis.

Hope that helps out a bit, sorry for any weird spacing or spelling mistakes, I wrote it at work and didn't have a chance to really doublecheck it inbetween doing actual work today.

Milchjon

image.php

I thought not reading the OP was a bannable offense?

For serious tho, msdstc is a regular for as long as I remember

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but his stretch is over. Schaub and his noodle arm won't get it done this year. Andre can only do so much by himself. With no talent at any other position on offense aside from Foster, he will struggle to be top 10 this year. Meanwhile, Megatron is primed for back to back top 1 seasons thanks in part to a front office that is no longer incompetent at infusing a team with talent and the madden cover blessing.

I hope some day the Texans can find the courage Detroit did to get away from their abusive couplings, such as Wayne Fontes and Matt Millen. But I fear Kubiak bought himself even more time with the playoff berth last year. God Speed, Texans

I'm not arguing over CJ, I think he's the better reciever at this point in his career. What I'm saying is though you gotta give Andre his respect. If he had a QB of Staffords caliber throwing to him in his prime he would've erupted also, even with Schaub he lit it up. That being said he's a physical reciever and he's clearly on the back nine. He deserved better than where he was his whole career.

MechDX

And other than Johnson who is the Lions offensive threat??

I am willing to bet the Texans have a BETTER record than the Lions by seasons end.

Take it?

MechDX

http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/sto...-camp-andre-johnson-matt-schaub-ready-to-roll

4. Attitude is the next step for the Texans defense. I asked one Texans official where the next step will be taken defensively under Wade Phillips, and he responded, simply, "We're salty out there." Last year, the Texans skyrocketed from 30th to second in total defense. This year, it looks like they're starting to play the part of a group that knows it's elite.

The possibilities of this season are getting me aroused!

OUTLOOK

It's no secret around here. The Texans expect to be good. They were 10-6 last year, won a playoff game and gave Baltimore all it could handle -- in a stadium the Ravens hadn't lost in all year -- in the divisional playoffs. And they did it without Schaub down the stretch, without Johnson for a good chunk of the season, and having to replace Mario Williams on the fly. Simple logic says this is a team that should be a juggernaut in 2012, and that's an assessment the players don't disagree with. "I think just going through what we went through last year as a team, that boosted our confidence," Johnson said. "I think it really showed what type of team we had, and we found out about some other players that we really didn't know about. That's what makes this year, the expectation level so high, not just from us but also the fans around here. And it's up to us now to get it done." There's plenty of reason to believe that these guys are, indeed, capable of getting it done.

START THE DAMN SEASON ALREADY!!

I'm not arguing over CJ, I think he's the better reciever at this point in his career. What I'm saying is though you gotta give Andre his respect. If he had a QB of Staffords caliber throwing to him in his prime he would've erupted also, even with Schaub he lit it up. That being said he's a physical reciever and he's clearly on the back nine. He deserved better than where he was his whole career.

Don't get me wrong, I think Andre Johnson is a supreme receiver and one of the best in the league. I just think his time is almost up. Like you said, back 9. And I like to give Mech shit
about it

Though, it still burns me that Detroit gambled with Charles Rogers (Sparty on!) instead of the sure thing in Dre

And other than Johnson who is the Lions offensive threat??

I am willing to bet the Texans have a BETTER record than the Lions by seasons end.

Take it?

Stafford, Pettigrew, Scheffler, Best when healthy, Titus Young is a threat, and even Burleson is better than anything else the Texans have.

The Texans will be lucky to have 8 wins by the end of the season when the Titans assert themselves as the new kings of that division. You have to play the NFC North this year anyway, bro. Any team in our division could sweep up the AFC South and take the division crown. The only win you get is against the Bears because they are garbo.

I'm already locked into a much more important bet with Banned Episode, otherwise I would skull fuck you to victory before the midway point of the season

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Don't get me wrong, I think Andre Johnson is a supreme receiver and one of the best in the league. I just think his time is almost up. Like you said, back 9. And I like to give Mech shit
about it

Though, it still burns me that Detroit gambled with Charles Rogers (Sparty on!) instead of the sure thing in Dre

Stafford, Pettigrew, Scheffler, Best when healthy, Titus Young is a threat, and even Burleson is better than anything else the Texans have.

The Texans will be lucky to have 8 wins by the end of the season when the Titans assert themselves as the new kings of that division. You have to play the NFC North this year anyway, bro. Any team in our division could sweep up the AFC South and take the division crown. The only win you get is against the Bears because they are garbo.

I'm already locked into a much more important bet with Banned Episode, otherwise I would skull fuck you to victory before the midway point of the season

lol.

MechDX

about it

Our 3 running backs (Foster/Tate/Forsett) have more talent and can move the ball better than the list of scrubs you posted. I do not fear the NFC North at all other than the Packers and that game will be at Reliant on Sunday night. The stadium will be rocking like you wouldnt believe and it will be one of two statement games the Texans have this year.

Our 3 running backs (Foster/Tate/Forsett) have more talent and can move the ball better than the list of scrubs you posted. I do not fear the NFC North at all other than the Packers and that game will be at Reliant on Sunday night. The stadium will be rocking like you wouldnt believe and it will be one of two statement games the Texans have this year.

What statement is that? The one where you realize they don't belong on an NFL field?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I see another Lions fan is going off the deep end again.

Way to represent, guys. I guess Schwartz is rubbing off on some of us fans, too.

Top Bottom