• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Training Camp/Preseason Thread 2012 - A Farewell to snes :(

Godslay

Banned
Broncos RG Chris Kuper is expected to be sidelined six weeks after suffering a broken ulna in his forearm during Tuesday's practice.

Heard this on the radio earlier. It's too bad considering he just came back from the broken leg. Sounds like Manny Ramirez will take over. We have some decent depth at line at least.

bionic77

A $25 coffee maker is snobbery?

Just how poor are you? Like, live in a box under a bridge poor or regular "my wife spends all my money" poor?
Neither. We live in a Pontiac Aztec. I consider that to be baller. No mortgages, different view every night, and a shit load of cup holders. No man could ask for more.

I really don't Know what happened but I am very skeptical of chad's ex. If that vh1 show isn't cancelled I wonder if this divorce still gets filed....

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Why is Cam letting 00 elbow him in the face? Dude has got to man up and not let these chicks walk all over him.

firen

black or you're doing it wrong

No sugar or milk, I drink it straight black *sogood.gif*

ZDyU4.gif

I approve.

Add tiny bit of cinnamon for increased metabolism and pure sexy coffee.

Milchjon

Football, fuck yeah!

Just got into fantasy this year, does GAF have a league?

Several, but I think most of them are full right now. But there was talk of starting another one.

I really don't Know what happened but I am very skeptical of chad's ex. If that vh1 show isn't cancelled I wonder if this divorce still gets filed....

It's just weird how fast it all happened. Those scenes from Hard Knocks are like 2 weeks old.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
On the coffee front, I'm with eznark. Get a press and never look back. Sugar if I'm desperate and have to get some Circle K/7-11/crappy to go coffee.

I'm not starting another one.

Ever.

:jnc I still don't know why you're trying to draft through the forum. Online drafts take about an hour.

jakncoke

Banned
On the coffee front, I'm with eznark. Get a press and never look back. Sugar if I'm desperate and have to get some Circle K/7-11/crappy to go coffee.

:jnc I still don't know why you're trying to draft through the forum. Online drafts take about an hour.

germans making stuff difficult

It was Larry his suggestion, I'm new to this whole Dutch Goodell thing, so I said 'Okay Larry lets do that'.

I think it was part of his plan to drag me down into his depression.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
So my first little film study thing.

PLAY 2

Donald Brown TD on Colts first drive. 3 and out on their second drive. Luck orchestrates a nice drive into Rams territory. Rams and Colts still playing starters. Quinn red again. Blue this time is Chris Long.

iZ5CbbXrGI41S.gif

Rams drop 7 to defend what is essentially a 3 man route. Long is blocked 1 v 1 by RT. Absolutely zero inside pressure. What's maddening is Quinn is blocked 1 v 1 by Coby Fleener, rookie undersized TE out of Standford. Colts are sliding protection that way, so Fleener does have inside help, but it's never needed. Chris Long got a giant extension a few weeks ago and is locked up with the RT on and island, but can't separate. RB would have chipped if needed, but leaks out since it isn't.

Luck pats the ball about 50 times, gigantic passing lane, plenty of room to step up, looks off Dahl, and hits Collie for an easy TD. You'll see Dahl come over way late. Trailing CB had come off Collie (for no reason since slot CB has back) to cover RB leaking in flat. If Long just gets a little bit of the corner the back stays in and the CB keeps his depth. Anything inside and Luck probably dumps it to the RB

OBSERVATION

How do you give a rookie QB 2 easy TDs, 90 yards passing, and have internet immediately draw comparisons to Peyton Manning? Play the STL Rams defense. I have said many times I think he is great, but these are the two easiest TD passes he'll throw all season

I wanted to comment on this play.

I don't care how good your d-line is, running straight cover-2 in the NFL is a mistake. Unless you can always create pressure (i.e. have Freeney and Mathis in their primes), it can be easily defeated. Anyone who has ever scratched out a play can draw routes to beat it, it's just a matter of getting enough time in the pocket. A skinny post/corner route combo destroys cover-2 all the time. The post route + the qb's eyes draw the safety over and *poof* long reception for the corner route.

I'm also deducting points from Luck. That should be a 5 step drop with 2 hitches, not 3!

Anyone watching this Elite 11 thing on ESPN? It's a really interesting look into the progression and development of elite-level high school QB's.

Plus it gives Trent Dilfer another chance to ride that one Ray Lewis-gifted ring of his

I couldn't trust either of them. Right now we have a he said-she said between the Clown Prince of the NFL and a woman off of Basketball Wives and a sketchy 911 call from a neighbor. Can't make a solid conclusion in anyone's favor now.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
After he went to New York it seems there's new shirtless Tebow pics every week.

What would your avatar look like if animated gifs were still allowed. *shudder*

Made this for kicks. This is that play where McDaniels had the center wheel in a circle and try and block a charging Orakpo

http://footballoutsiders.com/word-muth/2012/word-muth-scouting-rams

http://i.minus.com/ibgR60alffOgYp.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ixWRtAgYRUaSa.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
I can almost hear Orakpo say "wtf?".

Dragon

Banned
someone just took Tebow 3rd round in a mock draft

To be honest if he were starting every day he's not the worst fantasy qb. That has nothing to do with his real value though. I'm in a couple 4 pt passing td leagues and that makes Cam Newton one of the best QBs in these leagues.

squicken

I don't care how good your d-line is, running straight cover-2 in the NFL is a mistake. Unless you can always create pressure (i.e. have Freeney and Mathis in their primes), it can be easily defeated. Anyone who has ever scratched out a play can draw routes to beat it, it's just a matter of getting enough time in the pocket. A skinny post/corner route combo destroys cover-2 all the time. The post route + the qb's eyes draw the safety over and *poof* long reception for the corner route.

They played basic cover 2 all game. Different philosophy from the Colts, who wanted to show off Luck to the home crowd. Rams had no special offensive installs for 3rd down, for example, while Pagano was bringing the Baltimore MLB fire dog blitz (or whatever different teams call it). To be clear though, that blitz is a basic staple of that defense. Nothing exotic about it.

But on that play, Chris Long still needs to beat a no name RT when the guy is on an island. Chatted a bit on Twitter with a Colts writer who insists that play is a testament to how good Luck is b/c he looked off the safety. I think that any QB can look off a safety if no one is within 7 yards of him

LJ11

I'm also deducting points from Luck. That should be a 5 step drop with 2 hitches, not 3!

The key is to match up in your zone coverage. 4 verticals will destroy cover 3 all day, corner post corner will kill cover 2 (as will the smash/divide concept in the gif), scissors (corner and post with a whip underneath) will kill quarters coverage. Spot dropping is death, you're covering grass and not threats.

You basically have to play man coverage once a threat enters your zone area. The CB sunk 15 yards and then decided to keep his head in the backfield and watch for the back slipping out, he's spot dropping.

If they were matching up he would cover the WR all the way, let the OLB or DB handle the back. It's preseason so they're dropping to landmarks and defending grass. Zone coverage has basically morphed into pseudo man.

Okay, I'm scared. Our French friend was talking about Gamepass and all that good stuff and posted a link to the Gamepass page.

I clicked that shit, looked around and saw the word 'FREE'

ArmEQ.png

I clicked that.

That brought me to a page with some legal stuff, with 'CLICK HERE TO ACCEPT' at the bottom, so I didn't read the story and still clicked accept. I now have access to GamePass and everything. Now here is the catch, I haven't filled in anything, no billing details, nothing. So what happens now? I looked up the trial stuff on NFL.com and they said it was only possible to get a free trial after filling in your billing details. Will I get sucked into still being forced to pay without me wanting that? Did they give it to me because I'm such a great guy? Did any of you like me so much that you gave me a Gamepass? Will it just stop and will that be it ?

I'm scared, man. Bionic, I might need a lawyer.

Okay, I'm scared. Our French friend was talking about Gamepass and all that good stuff and posted a link to the Gamepass page.

I clicked that shit, looked around and saw the word 'FREE'

ArmEQ.png

I clicked that.

That brought me to a page with some legal stuff, with 'CLICK HERE TO ACCEPT' at the bottom, so I didn't read the story and still clicked accept. I now have access to GamePass and everything. Now here is the catch, I haven't filled in anything, no billing details, nothing. So what happens now? I looked up the trial stuff on NFL.com and they said it was only possible to get a free trial after filling in your billing details. Will I get sucked into still being forced to pay without me wanting that? Did they give it to me because I'm such a great guy? Did any of you like me so much that you gave me a Gamepass? Will it just stop and will that be it ?

I'm scared, man. Bionic, I might need a lawyer.

The police (or whatever you have over there in Europa) are already on their way to your house.

squicken

The key is to match up in your zone coverage. 4 verticals will destroy cover 3 all day, corner post corner will kill cover 2 (as will the smash/divide concept in the gif), scissors (corner and post with a whip underneath) will kill quarters coverage. Spot dropping is death, you're covering grass and not threats.

You basically have to play man coverage once a threat enters your zone area. The CB sunk 15 yards and then decided to keep his head in the backfield and watch for the back slipping out, he's spot dropping.

If they were matching up he would cover the WR all the way, let the OLB or DB handle the back. It's preseason so they're dropping to landmarks and defending grass. Zone coverage has basically morphed into pseudo man.

Fisher put it on Dahl, the guy who Luck looked off, for not keeping to his landmark. As I mentioned in that writeup, the CB only comes up to take the back b/c the back doesn't stay in to help with Long. If Long just gets a little pressure the RB stays in and the CB keeps his depth. I just view that play more as a failing of the Rams than the greatness of Luck. Not to take anything away from him. But that is a play almost all QBs would make

Watching first episode of Hard Knocks
Edit: Matt Moores wife is pretty hot
Edit: Garrards wife is pretty hot
Edit: Ryans GF/wife is pretty hot
Edit: Les Browns GF is hot
Edit: Dolphins cheerleaders are hot

most passing plays will have success if the QB has time

cajunator

Banned
Will we ever see the glorious swinging gate play again? Was that a once in a lifetime event? More importantly does anyone still have video/gifs of that?

LJ11

Fisher put it on Dahl, the guy who Luck looked off, for not keeping to his landmark. As I mentioned in that writeup, the CB only comes up to take the back b/c the back doesn't stay in to help with Long. If Long just gets a little pressure the RB stays in and the CB keeps his depth. I just view that play more as a failing of the Rams than the greatness of Luck. Not to take anything away from him. But that is a play almost all QBs would make

The strong/front side OLB is covering nobody though. Laurinaitis is running with the divide route, the backside LB with the other vertical threat. As you said, back is in check release, as he releases the SLB should now have him in coverage, but for whatever reason the CB is looking back at the QB. He should know that the OLB should cover the back, or maybe I'm dead wrong and they expect the CB to come and play it.

Still preseason, guys are still learning their stuff. I think if the OLB did his job, or the CB trusted/knew the OLB would grab the back no one would've been open. At that point Luck pulls the ball down and nabs the first down and more because he has a huge hole with zero contain in front of him...lol

Come to think of it, maybe the front side OLB was concerned with the run threat and stayed closer to Luck, kind of in a spy/rover roll which is why he never went with the back.

squicken

The strong/front side OLB is covering nobody though. Laurinaitis is running with the divide route, the backside LB with the other vertical threat. As you said, back is in check release, as he releases the SLB should now have him in coverage, but for whatever reason the CB is looking back at the QB. He should know that the OLB should cover the back, or maybe I'm dead wrong and they expect the CB to come and play it.

Still preseason, guys are still learning their stuff. I think if the OLB did his job, or the CB trusted/knew the OLB would grab the back no one would've been open. At that point Luck pulls the ball down and nabs the first down and more because he has a huge hole with zero contain in front of him...lol

Come to think of it, maybe the front side OLB was concerned with the run threat and stayed closer to Luck, kind of in a spy/rover roll which is why he never went with the back.

Until the back released it was 7 in coverage against a 3 man route. It's always hard to know assignments, but I just can't image that outside CB was supposed to give up the back corner like that. Wish the coaches film was available for preseason so I could see what Dahl was doing.

Rams are really bad. It still bugs me Indy got the first pick. They were better than the Rams. I think STL would have found a way to draft Luck and trade Bradford. Griffin isn't the sure thing Luck is so I have no problem with that trade, even if they will probably ditch Bradford after this year

LJ11

Until the back released it was 7 in coverage against a 3 man route. It's always hard to know assignments, but I just can't image that outside CB was supposed to give up the back corner like that. Wish the coaches film was available for preseason so I could see what Dahl was doing.

Rams are really bad. It still bugs me Indy got the first pick. They were better than the Rams. I think STL would have found a way to draft Luck and trade Bradford. Griffin isn't the sure thing Luck is so I have no problem with that trade, even if they will probably ditch Bradford after this year

Right, it's impossible to know the assignments, all we can do is guess. I've read that in a 2x2 set the Mike sometimes has the back in a cover 2 and the Strong side runs with the TE/slot. Clearly not the case in this situation because the MLB was running with the slot receiver.

There's a lot about match coverages on brophyfootball, specifically about Saban's D. Assignments can change from game to game too, so it's hard to get a clear picture. Remember when the Pats pasted the Jets in regular season Sunday night game, flat out embarrassed Rex. Well Jim Leonhard spotted something with their quarters coverage, the coaching staff switched up some assignments and when playoff time they got coverage sack after coverage sack on Brady.

Edit: In quarters coverage the backs are often the responsibility of the OLBs.

Sparkly for Barkley!

Top Bottom