• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Training Camp/Preseason Thread 2012 - A Farewell to snes :(

Update:

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones says he held his breath when tight end Jason Witten took a wicked hit from Raiders linebacker Rolando McClain on Monday night. Jones may not have exhaled yet. Dan Patrick strongly hinted in one of the early segments of The Dan Patrick Show that Witten may have suffered a spleen injury, and that it could be serious. A source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that Witten indeed suffered a spleen injury, which resulted in internal bleeding. Per the source, Witten will miss the rest of the preseason. At this time, it’s not believed that surgery will be required.

Damn. At this point we may need a 90 man roster.

Not specifically because of this but its clear that the NFL is being more precautious even more than last year. Jennings and Pickett have been out all pre season with concussions and McCarthy suggested that even with the rules last year they'd have been back by now

eznark

Banned
Internal bleeding? Don't see how these guys keep playing after these injuries

There is very little pain with internal bleeding and it usually takes quite awhile to lost enough blood to start feeling weak at all. I had a similar injury playing hockey and had no clue. Took me like two days to go to a doctor.

squicken

Adrenaline, a couple of hours after any football game and you feel like a truck ran over you :(.

I meant in terms of not retiring. Whitten should have enough money to live comfortably for a long time. Not like the Cowboys are SB contenders either way

Also, this GIF is old, but every time I see it I laugh. It's just comically perfect

l56vs.gif

squicken

Damn. At this point we may need a 90 man roster.

Not specifically because of this but its clear that the NFL is being more precautions even more than last year. Jennings and Pickett have been out all pre season with concussions and McCarthy suggested that even with the rules last year they'd have been back by now

I have a jaded view on this. Teams are reluctant to sign guys with concussions. That Stanford WR fell in the draft b/c of his concussion history. They won't play or let guys practice who have concussions. So the implication is clear: every time you report concussion like symptoms you move yourself one step closer to the unemployment line. For guys on the roster bubble, they know that even if the do get concussed they better not say anything. And if players don't let teams know they are injured, then how can the teams be liable of those recurring injuries?

The Black Unicorn was networking right after the Cowboys loss in Metlife Stadium last season:

Bennet laid groundwork to be a Giant after loss

As players milled around the MetLife Stadium field after the Giants' division-deciding win over Dallas in Week 17, Eli Manning received congratulations from a rather unlikely source. Cowboys tight end Martellus Bennett, who wouldn't be going to the playoffs because of Manning's heroics, gave Eli an attaboy, followed by a request.

"I said, 'Hey, man, I'm going to be a free agent, so think about that as a possibility,' " Bennett said Tuesday. "He may have thought it was weird because we talked right after the game was over. It's tough to lose, everybody's mad, but I didn't play much that game, so that made it easier to talk about that to him."

Bennett has developed a reputation around the team as a fun-loving guy who will say just about anything to anyone. He has likened himself to Mahatma Gandhi , a black unicorn, Vince Vaughn , Will Ferrell and even Kim Kardashian . He said he'd like to make a movie about a black superhero. He loves to wear soccer jerseys from different countries -- Tuesday he sported a green replica of a jersey worn by Mexico's national team. He has several tattoos, including musical notes on his neck and "L-O-V-E" on a hand.

"All my teammates tell me I'm weird, but they like me," he said. "They say, 'You're like 10 cards short of a full deck.' I just like to have fun. This is just who I am. You know what they say: 'Be yourself, because everyone else is taken.' "

bionic77

Dragon Memory of Light is done. How do you think it ends? It comes out in January. Can't believe it is actually over.

In more depressing news James Harrison's knee appears to be jacked. Not a great way to start the season. I was hoping we got one more full season of Harrison and Woodley coming off of the edge and making life tough for opposing qb's.

Milchjon

In more depressing news James Harrison's knee appears to be jacked. Not a great way to start the season. I was hoping we got one more full season of Harrison and Woodley coming off of the edge and making life tough for opposing qb's.

One of the few guys I won't feel sorry for.

bionic77

One of the few guys I won't feel sorry for.
You don't really mean that.

Harrison is always going to be one of my favorite Steelers. Perfect football player. He is near the end of his career though and I was hoping he would be able to go out knocking Tom Brady the fuck out in the playoffs with a hit so vicious it caused the announcers (likely some pervy Bradyphiles) to stifle a sob or two.

Get well James. And keep the dream of one more vicious knockout on Tammy alive.

He has a lot to live up to with a nickname that awesome.

That is like a 25+ TD/season nickname. If he doesn't get close I move for the name to be taken back until a more worthy candidate can be found.

If vd plays like he did against the giants and saints he will have 32 tds this year and 1600+ yards!

Dragon

Banned
Dragon Memory of Light is done. How do you think it ends? It comes out in January. Can't believe it is actually over.

I had been following Sanderson on twitter, he gets into the groove writing and updates on his twitter as he does it, pretty cool.

I think a ton of plotlines won't be satisfied, like the stupid Seanchan. I really hope Rand breaks the WoT to the point where no one else has to go through all this shit though. If it ends up something like The Dark Tower (won't spoil that for anyone that hasn't read it) I'll be insanely pissed.

If vd plays like he did against the giants and saints he will have 32 tds this year and 1600+ yards!

No one cares about a cry baby second rate TE like Vernon Davis. Especially when he'd be third on the Pats depth chart.

bionic77

I had been following Sanderson on twitter, he gets into the groove writing and updates on his twitter as he does it, pretty cool.

I think a ton of plotlines won't be satisfied, like the stupid Seanchan. I really hope Rand breaks the WoT to the point where no one else has to go through all this shit though. If it ends up something like The Dark Tower (won't spoil that for anyone that hasn't read it) I'll be insanely pissed.
It seems too obvious for the Creator to just assist them and reseting everything, but I have a bad feeling it is going to be really stupid.

I am not even that into it anymore, I just want to see how it ends.

No one cares about a cry baby second rate TE like Vernon Davis. Especially when he'd be third on the Pats depth chart.

He might be 3rd string dancing with his shirt off after he cost his team a Super Bowl win because he couldn't go up and get a ball, but not as a TE!

Had no idea Giants snagged former Patriots CB Antwaun Molden. I guess it's protection for when they inexplicably have 5 CBs out for the year again...

I don't hear anything in camp so far about Justin Tryon, I hope he's doing ok.

cajunator

Banned
I would think of that name more fitting of a player like Marques Colston. He drafted in the 7th round, who came from a college that doesn't even have a football team anymore, outplayed a first round WR pick, became a #1 reciever and consistently puts up big numbers every year.
Dude came from out of nowhere pretty much and became a very successful player.
Of course, I'm biased as a Saints fan, but I'm more talking about how he was picked near the end and is a top end WR in the league. He really was like a fabled creature sort of draft pick.

Dragon

Banned
He might be 3rd string dancing with his shirt off after he cost his team a Super Bowl win because he couldn't go up and get a ball, but not as a TE!

:jnc at thinking Gronk costs the Patriots a SB win. That's delusional even for you FMT!

I would think of that name more fitting of a player like Marques Colston. He drafted in the 7th round, who came from a college that doesn't even have a football team anymore, outplayed a first round WR pick, became a #1 reciever and consistently puts up big numbers every year.
Dude came from out of nowhere pretty much and became a very successful player.
Of course, I'm biased as a Saints fan, but I'm more talking about how he was picked near the end and is a top end WR in the league. He really was like a fabled creature sort of draft pick.

He's also a better TE than Vernon Davis.

cajunator said:
I would think of that name more fitting of a player like Marques Colston.
Marty B proclaimed himself the Black Unicorn. You'll just have to come to terms with that!

Plus Colston is a Saint so wouldn't he be the Black Headless Unicorn?

cajunator

Banned
Marty B proclaimed himself the Black Unicorn. You'll just have to come to terms with that!

Plus Colston is a Saint so wouldn't he be the Black Headless Unicorn?

I think its a cool name, I'm just saying the name happens to describe Marques pretty well.

Martellus can have it. At least he's not a fucking Cowboy anymore.
As a rival NFC team I hate your Giants, but honestly I respect them more than almost any other team.

cajunator said:
I think its a cool name, I'm just saying the name happens to describe Marques pretty well.
I know, just kidding around. It's name that's stuck for Bennett since he said it. I found it hilarious and have just been referring to him as such since.

The original quote:

In describing himself, the former Cowboys tight end has previously referenced Greek god Atlas, Professor Klump, Kim Kardashian and Gandhi. Now he offered up another one Wednesday: a unicorn.

“I’m in the best shape I’ve ever been. Ask any of the guys in the camp,” Bennett said. “I’m stronger than I’ve ever been. I’m faster than I’ve ever been. I could run all day. I’m kind of like a black unicorn out there. It’s amazing to watch.”

EDIT: Holy shit!

Martellus-Bennett-Is-A-Black-Unicorn-451x700.jpg

I need that avatar sized. :jnc

Top Bottom