• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Training Camp/Preseason Thread 2012 - A Farewell to snes :(

Why is that?

NOTE: I said the same thing about Rex Ryan prior.

Because he is so timid and mousey. Philbin might be a great X and Os guy, but he seems to really struggle when dealing with the players. He just started so maybe he will get better at it, but I think all great coaches have their players respect.

Sanjuro

I'm not under the belief that the head coach needs to be a burly presence to make an impact. Still, I need to watch the show. The only thing I've seen to date is the CJ firing, so just curious on why you guys would think that for myself going into the show. Should fire up the HBO GO tonight.

Dragon

Banned
I'm not under the belief that the head coach needs to be a burly presence to make an impact. Still, I need to watch the show. The only thing I've seen to date is the CJ firing, so just curious on why you guys would think that for myself going into the show. Should fire up the HBO GO tonight.

Is it even on HBO Go?

Just watched the Hard Knocks where Chad gets fired. My first impression is that Joe Philbin is not Head Coach material. Not at all.
I think he's doing a fine Job, by what I've seen so far. I think the real problem is the Organization letting Hard Knocks come in and video tape a first time head coach, and a Offense known to have many problems. It gives people the chance to criticize Joe on ever move he makes.

yankeehater said:
Because he is so timid and mousey. Philbin might be a great X and Os guy, but he seems to really struggle when dealing with the players.
The measure of a head coach is knowing his limitations. It's obvious watching the show that he's surrounded himself with a staff of more "animated" individuals. Mike Sherman for instance has plenty of fire and brimstone to challenge players with. Same for Jim Turner and Dan Campbell. Both of which were featured heavily this past episode. Philbin's day to day job is to make sure his staff is doing what's best for the player and properly evaluating that talent.

While he's a low key guy and can come off as timid - he has people in top level positions delivering his message in different ways. As long as the players are buying into the system and the program he's implementing I don't see the issue.

It's too early to say he's not head coach material based on two meetings with one of the more vocal and outlandish personalities in the league. It's obvious he doesn't want that type of player on his team.

I H8 Memes said:
Joe Philbin is the white Raheem Morris. Not in control, wishy washy
At no point has he come off as not in control or "wishy washy" to me. I don't agree at all. Reserved? Quiet? Sure.

One thing I did notice in comparison to other Hard Knocks we've seen - Jeff Ireland seems pretty cutoff from the day to day operations of the team. Maybe I missed his presence from time to time but he and Philbin don't appear much together in any of the first two episodes. Quite a change from Tennebaum/Ryan and even Marvin Lewis and the Bengals FO.

TheFatOne

I know this would never happen, but I would love to see hard knocks on the Patriots. Would love to see how Belichick handles things like players being cut etc..

Sanjuro

I know this would never happen, but I would love to see hard knocks on the Patriots. Would love to see how Belichick handles things like players being cut etc..

I'd like to see one of the losing participants from the final four for the show. That would be more interesting to me than some team that nobody is interested in.

Patriots, 49ers, Ravens. Would love to see the attitude and adjustments throughout the camp.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I feel like I'm in a third world country. Goddamit Canada I have HBO! Why am I not able to see Hard Knocks? If I want to see it on TV I have to wait for when NFL Network gets the rights!

squicken

I can't believe they actually convince anyone to let them do this. It just exposes all the warts. The only other team that expressed interest this year was the Jags

I'd love to see the inner workings of the Giants as a fan but there's no way in hell Coughlin would ever allow it. A part of me understands not wanting the distraction there, too.

Bowser

I can't believe they actually convince anyone to let them do this. It just exposes all the warts. The only other team that expressed interest this year was the Jags

I'm sure when the Jags volunteered the HBO execs' reaction was:

ibj1RrbuXaq1xb.gif

Sanjuro

I'd love to see the inner workings of the Giants as a fan but there's no way in hell Coughlin would ever allow it. A part of me understands not wanting the distraction there, too.

I just imagine the camera turning to Coughlin. Each time giving an expression, like he is being disturbed taking a dump.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Might have been pretty interesting seeing the Jags. This offseason/preseason has just been awful for them.

WedgeX

Banned
I fear for his life if he keeps playing. These concussions are serious business and he has had some severe ones. It sucks because he is a great player and all, but I would rather not watch him get carted off the field for his last nfl play

Hopefully the Lions can entice him to be a scout or assistant. Or get him back to school. I doubt he'd last past a few games and risking his long term health or life for just a few games is never worth it.

This also means that my prediction of a Smith/Leshoure backfield is coming true.

LJ11

Well they already had A Football Life with Belichick, it was alright. My expectations were too high I suppose.

Sherman was pretty entertaining. John Tortorella is hard to beat as far as coaching + entertainment. Liked Bylsma and Laviolette as well, it's hockey so none of you give a shit, but the Winter Classic is good stuff. Love Torts.

Top Bottom