• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Training Camp/Preseason Thread 2012 - A Farewell to snes :(

Wrayfield

If I wanted to rent a car in the Northeast, does anyone have any tips? Any recommendable companies?

21 is the age (you need 2 years of driving experience, methinks). They might not give you the most expensive car but you should be alright for anything else. I use Avis, just a habit, no difference between the usual names, and they are everywhere (usually take the one near Logan).

Edit: Actually, age seems to differ between states and companies.

Milchjon

21 is the age (you need 2 years of driving experience, methinks). They might not give you the most expensive car but you should be alright for anything else. I use Avis, just a habit, no difference between the usual names, and they are everywhere (usually take the one near Logan).

Edit: Actually, age seems to differ between states and companies.

I'm pretty sure I meet any and all age requirements
:-(
So there are no price differences? I looked at Avis, seems ok in that regard, but I'm still happy if I save a few bucks.

Nori Chan

duYUy.jpg
This picture will never get old

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I don't understand if it's $1/play or $1/all you can eat. The ticket gets you onto a Valve server that gives out gifts for winning, apparently. I bought one, but haven't used it since the servers are all pretty much fucked right now.

You can play without the ticket, but finding a decent server is a bitch and the queue for Valve to process you to a server works...if you like waiting for hours.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8274392/comparing-mortality-rates-football-baseball

Amazing work by Barnwell. Football players actually have lower mortality rates than baseball players. Have always thought worrying over concussions masked football's effect on overall health. Would be interested to see a similar study with soccer players

That's pretty crazy. The only thing I can think of is that baseball players were quicker on the uptake on ped's. Not just steroids, but uppers and such were popular in clubhouses in the 80's and maybe earlier.

“Eli’s a real laid-back guy. He’s easy to talk to. Just ask him what he wants,” Bennett said. “It’s not like, sometimes like your wife, you never know what she wants. You ask and she’s like, ‘Well, I don’t want chicken.’ You’re like, ‘Well, do you want steak?’ She’s like, ‘No, I don’t want steak.’ You know Eli knows if he wants chicken or steak.
“He helps me out a whole lot. Because I come back, ‘Hey did you like [this]?’ ‘No, I don’t like that. I want you do this, this and this.’ I’m like, ‘OK, the next time I do it, I’ll just do it the way he likes it.’ I like playing for Eli.”
THE BLACK UNICORN HAS SPOKEN.

Update:

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Texans re-signed OT Duane Brown to a 6-year, $53.4 million extension, including $22.08 million guaranteed.

------------------------------------------------------

You ask and she’s like, ‘Well, I don’t want chicken.’ You’re like, ‘Well, do you want steak?’ She’s like, ‘No, I don’t want steak.’ You know Eli knows if he wants chicken or steak.
:jnc

Milchjon

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8274392/comparing-mortality-rates-football-baseball

Amazing work by Barnwell. Football players actually have lower mortality rates than baseball players. Have always thought worrying over concussions masked football's effect on overall health. Would be interested to see a similar study with soccer players

My guess is they'd fare (even) better. Less hits to the head, more of an endurance sport which should be even better for cardiovascular performance, and you'll rarely find an overweight soccer player.

Yes. And when controlled for BMI it's even more in football's favor

Doesn't he state it doesn't control for race, because the data isn't available to them?

THE BLACK UNICORN HAS SPOKEN.

:jnc

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
My guess is they'd fare (even) better. Less hits to the head, more of an endurance sport which should be even better for cardiovascular performance, and you'll rarely find an overweight soccer player.

They take more blows to the head than any other athlete, including football players. Dangerous.

squicken

I'm really surprised football players live longer than baseball players, just based on size and race. Using soccer players in the US is hard b/c a big part of the study is the wealth and pension programs that professional baseball and football players have access to.

My mistake on race. The NIOSH used race, but he didn't. That initial study found that race influenced the findings. Yes yes I made a mistake with the footnote

squicken

Wouldn't race only undermine the findings if the baseball population had a higher % of black players than the football population?

What would interest me is a proper study with a sport that is comparable, like rugby or hockey.

Hockey doesn't work b/c so many players are Canadian and have different health care system. Rugby players don't have the same health care either b/c they aren't as wealthy. The presumption with this study is that both populations have the money to afford the best of the best healthcare in the US

BMI is flawed but its good enough for the majority of people.

Fatties just like to go, oh well weight lifters are considered obese! I just have an athletic build.

No you're a fatty fatty two by four, cant fit through the kitchen door.

Wrayfield

Wouldn't race only undermine the findings if the baseball population had a higher % of black players than the football population?

Hockey doesn't work b/c so many players are Canadian and have different health care system. Rugby players don't have the same health care either b/c they aren't as wealthy. The presumption with this study is that both populations have the money to afford the best of the best healthcare in the US

How would it undermine it? We want to know if the sport is more dangerous. You could still sort the data and include and exlude certain racial groups. Leaving 50% or more of potential study data makes for a poor study.

As for other sports, rugby players play often in countries with a proper health care system, not such a big disadvantage, imo (again a proper rating there would be nice, study and all). Hockey players from Canada cannot afford the same insurance as NFL players in America? I would seriously doubt that.

Also, Grantland.

Also, cardiovascular demand for a baseball player is, on average, much lower than a football player's (okay, maybe not kicker/punter). I would argue a 350 o lineman could have a healthier heart than a first baseman who can chainsmoke and still "perform". What I guess I mean is that study compares the wrong sports and excludes major groups.

Slo

BMI is flawed but its good enough for the majority of people.

Fatties just like to go, oh well weight lifters are considered obese! I just have an athletic build.

No you're a fatty fatty two by four, cant fit through the kitchen door.

Pretty much. The people for whom the BMI scale is broken are not overly concerned about being confused with a fat person.

is it bad

I'm reading that Ridley was able to walk and put some weight on it, but he did walk with a limp.

Jeff Phowe regarding Ridley said:
Looked serious at the start but might have dodged a bullet. Will pass along any info if I get it.

Don't know about Wilson, hope it's nothing since he has been surprisingly good all camp.

More trouble :

Patriots Beatwriter on twitter said:
First- and second-teams combine to allow three sacks in six plays. Hello? Is anyone going to block anybody?

Fucking Jets and Ravens gonna release the hounds :(

Oh, and Gaffney is also injured on his right thigh.

Bill also sent Edelman and Koutouvides home after another scuffle.

When it rains it pours I guess.

Milchjon

is it bad

Here's what the Herald has to say:

Running back Stevan Ridley injured his right leg (knee?) midway through practice and didn’t return. He was stretching it out on the sideline, putting weight on it and hobbling around, which was a fortuitous sign. But it’s definitely an important injury to monitor. Ridley never actually departed for the locker room, and he stopped to speak with an acquaintance after practice before walking down the stairs to the stadium. He had a slight limp.

On a side note, I love reading the headlines on the Red Sox from the Boston Herald. They're always so over the top and overreacting, it's delicious. What a shit rag.

Top Bottom