• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Training Camp/Preseason Thread 2012 - A Farewell to snes :(

Alligatorjandro said:
Anybody get Darksiders 2?
Posted yesterday about it. Have it on PC and am enjoying the hell out of it.

EDIT: It appears the Giants have finally waived LB Clint Sintim. He was a 2nd round pick in 2009 and had two issues - he never stayed healthy (ACL tear last season) and never did much on the field. He played 3-4 in college and it was never a fit from the get-go.

Ralph Vacchiano @RVacchianoNYDN

New roster on my desk and LB Clint Sintim isn't on it. Looks like the Giants may have waived their 2009 second-round pick. #NYG

The team has added DT Bobby Scott (UDFA) and rookie DB/CB Laron Scott to the roster as well. Scott had a 60+ yard return for NO in the Hall of Fame Game.

BigAT

It looks like the Giants have finally decided to part ways with Clint Sintim, their second round pick from 2009. Sintim never really did much of anything for the Giants, first having a hard time transitioning from the 3-4 he played in college and then dealing with numerous injury problems. He tore his ACL last year, an injury which he is still recovering from and resulted in him starting training camp on the PUP list. The Giants young, talented depth at linebacker, along with his injury, must have made him expendable.

Looking back on the Giants 2009 draft, it was actually pretty awful with the obvious exception of Hakeem Nicks.

Hakeem Nicks (1), Clint Sintim (2), Will Beatty (2), Ramses Barden (3), Travis Beckum (3), Andre Brown (4), Rhett Bomar (5), DeAndre Wright (6), Stoney Woodson (7)

Will Beatty is the only other name from that list that has really done anything of note and even then I don't think it would be unfair to classify his development as disappointing. I don't think their last three draft picks even ever made the 53-man roster.

bionic77

Bucs coach wants bucs to be most penalized team in the league. Lol why do the bucs keep hiring retards?
That is actually pretty smart.

Before this season the team was basically a joke and used as a collateral on the other sports teams the owners could not afford. They are not even trying to win a Superbowl so why not go for excellence in categories that are attainable? Like most penalties in a season, most yards given up, most weight lost by a starting quarterback, etc. It is not a SB, but it will still get them into the record books.

That is actually pretty smart.

Before this season the team was basically a joke and used as a collateral on the other sports teams the owners could not afford. They are not even trying to win a Superbowl so why not go for excellence in categories that are attainable? Like most penalties in a season, most yards given up, most weight lost by a starting quarterback, etc. It is not a SB, but it will still get them into the record books.

As long as the Bucs thug ball doesn't get any of my people hurt, I'm fine with it.

Tampa
Bay
Assaulters

bionic77

As long as the Bucs thug ball doesn't get any of my people hurt, I'm fine with it.

Tampa
Bay
Assaulters
I think you are going to be disappointed.

You can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs.

And you can't get into the record books as the most penalized team of all times without breaking a few limbs.

More Giants news:

Patricia Traina @Patricia_Traina

Also, DE Justin Trattou was waived/injured.
That's a surprise. Trattou was a favorite for that 4th DE spot before he injured his ankle. The NFL is a crazy place. Curious if Reese tries to sneak him through to get him on IR.

Also:

Paul Schwartz @NYPost_Schwartz

Hearing that Marvin Austin back problem is NOT serious. #NYG
Good.

RBH

One of the nation’s largest cable providers has agreed to carry the NFL Network and NFL Red Zone.

Cablevision and the NFL Network announced Thursday that they have reached agreement on a multi-year deal to put the two channels on Cablevision systems starting on Monday. The deal means that the NFL Network is now on eight of the nine largest cable providers in the country and it also means that a large chunk of the New York City metro area will be brought into the fold for the first time since the network launched.

“Cablevision is one of the top television providers in the country and will offer New York fans football 24 hours a day, 365 days a year,” said NFL Media COO Brian Rolapp in the statement. “With the 2012 NFL season approaching, Cablevision subscribers will be able to enjoy our expanded 13-game Thursday Night Football schedule, Sunday NFL GameDay shows, NFL Total Access, Emmy award-winning NFL Films programming and much more. In addition, NFL RedZone features every touchdown from every game on Sunday afternoons.”

It won’t cover all New York football fans. The lone remaining holdout of the top nine companies is Time Warner, which ranks second to Comcast in subscribers and provides cable coverage for much of New York City, including this writer who, like many others in the Apple, lives in a building that doesn’t have access to FIOS or Direct TV. That leaves a rather sizable market still without the NFL’s television properties and there’s no sign of thawing in the frosty relationship between the league and Time Warner.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/16/cablevision-reaches-deal-to-carry-nfl-network/

RBH

TV listings for this week:

8/16: Cincinnati @ Atlanta - 8pm ET on FOX

8/17: Detroit @ Baltimore - 8pm ET on FOX

8/18: NY Giants @ NY Jets - 7pm ET on NFL Network

8/18: Dallas @ San Diego - 9pm ET on NFL Network

8/19: Indianapolis @ Pittsburgh - 8pm ET on NBC

8/20: Philadelphia @ New England - 8pm ET on ESPN

eznark

Banned
Bucs coach wants bucs to be most penalized team in the league. Lol why do the bucs keep hiring retards?

This was McCarthy's approach his first year as well. He wanted the young defensive backs to err on the side of aggressive so that going forward they would know what they could get away with.

Fantomex

TV listings for this week:

8/16: Cincinnati @ Atlanta - 8pm ET on FOX

8/17: Detroit @ Baltimore - 8pm ET on FOX

8/18: NY Giants @ NY Jets - 7pm ET on NFL Network

8/18: Dallas @ San Diego - 9pm ET on NFL Network

8/19: Indianapolis @ Pittsburgh - 8pm ET on NBC

8/20: Philadelphia @ New England - 8pm ET on ESPN

Who would want to see the Phins anyway, our best player is a lineman.

Ah. New team, same old Jacobs.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/...it-comes-to-talking-about-49ers-jets-and-more

(still looks fucking weird seeing him in a Niners uniform)

On the Jets:

"It's a circus, man," he said. "But every year it's like that. Obviously the Jets have some great players. Bart Scott, [Darrelle] Revis, [Antonio] Cromartie. They have a good defense, no question about it. But all this stuff surrounding [Tim] Tebow and [Mark] Sanchez ... I truly think it's going to be Sanchez. He's going to be the guy. He's got to be the guy. He's the natural quarterback out of the two. That's just my opinion. I shouldn't be speaking of their team, but I'm just so tired of reading and hearing of everything over there ... and it's mid-August. It's like: Are you kidding me? Camp's not even over."

RBH

Cool, there's football on today.

Yes indeed.

julio-jones-gif.gif

Milchjon

Yes indeed.

julio-jones-gif.gif

Is there a some kind of technique that makes these kinds of one handed "head on" catches easier? I'm having a hard time to not let them bounce off my palm and I don't know whether it just takes practice, good reflexes and technique or my hands are too Alex Smith.

Greg

Is there a some kind of technique that makes these kinds of one handed "head on" catches easier? I'm having a hard time to not let them bounce off my palm and I don't know whether it just takes practice, good reflexes and technique or my hands are too Alex Smith.
The gloves certainly help.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Kave how do you think Weeden will do tonight?

I'm hoping well, he's going to have a full half at least to work with so he should have a strong showing. Looks like Travis Benjamin will be out though so there goes a pretty dependable receiver for him. My hope is Josh Gordon bounces back huge and they can start to develop some chemistry.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Gloves and Stickum.

Wes

venison crêpe
I'm hoping well, he's going to have a full half at least to work with so he should have a strong showing. Looks like Travis Benjamin will be out though so there goes a pretty dependable receiver for him. My hope is Josh Gordon bounces back huge and they can start to develop some chemistry.

I agree, from offence I'd like to see Benjiamin and Gordon with a couple of catches each. Schwartz to have a much improved game on the right.

Defence is mainly going to be about how the secondary perform for me. Wade and Skirne at cornerbacks and Hagg next to Ward. I think the front 4 and LB corp are going to be messy all season long, it'd be nice to have an decent young secondary to cheer on though.

Think I may try and stay up and watch the first half as finding highlights after the fact is impossible.

cajunator

Banned

I don't know but a lot of receivers seem to be able to do it. I've seen Lance, Colston, and Graham do it on the Saints and I think even Shockey. Its probably something most of them can do because they are freakish human beings.

squicken

If I wanted to rent a car in the Northeast, does anyone have any tips? Any recommendable companies?

You have to be at least 21, but otherwise they are mostly the same. Avis, Hertz, and Enterprise. Not sure how it works for foreign nationals and the licensing requirements

Some injuries can't get worse.

He initially had the high ankle sprain in week 4 of last year. Spags rushed him back with just two weeks off and he reinjured it. Spags also tried to rush back Amendola after he dislocated his elbow and he missed the whole year.

Bradford has been whining about that ankle since March OTAs. In every national interview he brings it up. Pretty lame of him imo. But if it really might have needed surgery, then why wait? Why not fix it in March? Just completely mishandled from the time of the initial injury until now.

Bowser

Great Yahoo! Sports article on Steve Smith talking about the good and bad of the last few seasons and how he's having fun again: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--w...-that-nearly-led-to-panther’s-departure-.html

"I had guys telling me, 'Hey, come over to my team, we could use you over here,' " Smith recalled Tuesday from Wofford College, the Panthers' training camp home. "This was during games."

Was the receiver receptive? "No comment," Smith said, laughing.

"To be honest, I was leery about a lot of things," he says. "It's not necessarily that I didn't want to rebuild – it's just that in this game you have a short opportunity. The day that I can't catch a football or run a route, they're gonna take Old Yeller behind the barn and blow his brains out – right?

"So why is it any different – as we call this a business – to [question the] product, to expect the assembly line to have efficient workers? The only thing I wanted to do is play football. Would you say the 2010 Carolina Panthers were a football team? I don't know what it was; all I know is it wasn't football. And so I wanted to get an opportunity, and I think not just me, other guys. There are a lot of guys who wanted to play ball."

"In practice, there are no easy catches with Steve," Rivera says. "On the balls that you'd think would be right to him, he'll spin, or fall away from the ball and try to catch it back behind his body, or take a different angle and lunge at it. It took awhile, but I finally figured it out and told him, 'I'm onto you – you don't make the easy catch in practice; you're trying to make the hard catch.' I'm telling you, some of the catches in practice would make ESPN's Top 10."

Top Bottom