• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Training Camp/Preseason Thread 2012 - A Farewell to snes :(

WedgeX

Banned
That depends - haven't had my draft yet in fantasy football. Liked watching the Lions play last year until their coach became more of a douche during the year. I hate the Patriots so I get along with most NFL fans.

You were so close to being welcomed into the Alliance.

NomarTyme

Brief little thing on Rams game. Cleary the Rams opened up a bit vs KC. I've noticed in preseason that teams seem much more concerned about playing well at home. It'll be interesting to see what IND does with Luck tonight, as they were very intent on showing well last week

Anywho, one thing I've heard from people who bash Schotty are that he needlessly shifts an has dumb formations. I can say that at least with this one, it was very well done. Something the Rams struggled with last year was the delayed/zone dog/fire dog whatever you want to call it, when STL goes max protect, the defenders responsible for the players staying in simply blitz. The Rams had all sorts of trouble with it last year.

Yesterday's game vs KC. Kendicks lines up wide and motions to backfield. It looks like he will stay in, so Berry begins to rush. Kendricks leaks out, and Berry is late picking him up. That motion identified the man coverage, and putting him in the backfield generated a predictable response from KC that they could exploit

http://i.minus.com/iCeBqTDyoiugm.gif[IMG]

Speaking of Kendricks, if they can get him going . . . Had so many drops last year and really struggled to learn the offense, but he is too fast for LBs and too big for DBs to handle

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iQcEHykrm2HkS.gif[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iokGQLA1tDfLt.gif[IMG]

And just a note from last week. It's not the same coverage or play that Luck had with Collie last week, but my point is the same. Give almost any QB time and he can freeze a safety and hit a tight throw

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/i9w3GoFWaYofK.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
So you're saying we are going to the superbowl?! woot!

BigAT

Giants beat writer on "Prince-Gate":

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo
Not really. Typical locker room-hijinx. RT @TheOriginalGMan: Tell us this at least, is the JPP / Prince thing a cause for concern?
I still don't understand why it's getting so much attention here honestly. Seems like an innocuous thing for people to get all up in arms over.

squicken

So you're saying we are going to the superbowl?! woot!

I just want to see them protect Bradford so a proper evaluation can be made. I re-watched the GB and NYG games from last year, and at times he looked very good. Others not so much. Kendricks can really be good if he learns the offense and hold onto the ball. Some other weird things are that both Amendola and Smith are getting time at X and Z as well as slot. Schotty wants all the WRs to be able to line up at any position. Not sure that's the best idea but I guess we'll see

Squicken posting about it a few times /= freaking out.

Seriously. Don't know why Giants fans are exaggerating everyone's reaction to it. It's just a thing people are talking about and commenting on

Slo

What did I miss with this JPP Giants stuff? Could someone link me to a story or something?

Youtube video went up showing JPP putting Prince on his shoulder, walking him into the locker room and tossing him in the cold tub as other guys cheered.

Beta-male GAF had flashbacks to highschool gym class.

oneHeero

What did I miss with this JPP Giants stuff? Could someone link me to a story or something?
Its on the last page. Jpp dumped prince into tub of water head first. Prince didn't look happy and walked away not saying a word.
Rest of people are loling while Jpp carries prince on his shoulder. After prince gets out of water a few guys tell him he needs to defend himself multiple times. Jpp walks by saying "he ain't gonna do shit to me" a N word and bitch in there I believe.
Giants fans chalk it up to playful hazing that prince was in on but didn't like.

ChanHuk

Banned
The whole JPP/Prince thing, really? People making a big deal over it? That's not as bad as some rookies getting tied to a goal post.

Giants beat writer on "Prince-Gate":

I still don't understand why it's getting so much attention here honestly. Seems like an innocuous thing for people to get all up in arms over.

no one is "up in arms" over anything. after watching the video, it just comes off as awkward and JPP comes off as a fucking douchebag. no one is setting up petitions or boycotting the giants over it. i don't think most people here give a shit about the giants or what they do, just commenting on a video that was posted!

bionic77

Did the texans cheated? They won against the 49ers o_o
The Texans are a better team and will make anyone look bad until October when all of their players get hurt at the same time.

That is why you are supposed to cycle the roids. You just fall apart if you take them all at once.

Slo

Go Seahawks

dodgeball-a-true-underdog-story-10.jpg

All anybody can decipher about this is from the video and in there it was clear that Prince was not happy about it. Seen tons of NFL Locker room hazings and the victim never looks that distraught. They're usually laughing along with it.

squicken said:
Don't know why Giants fans are exaggerating everyone's reaction to it.
It's more the media reaction to it than anyone here at this point. I said my peace on it this AM.

As to NFL-GAF, I'm ready to make cold bathtub jokes whenever Prince gets burned in coverage from here on out!

In some actual football related news:

Miles Austin will apparently be out for some time:

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...08?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter"

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said after Saturday’s loss to the Chargers that he didn’t expect Austin to be back in the next week, which would include the dress rehearsal game at Cowboys Stadium against the St. Louis Rams. Since the Cowboys and most teams typically rest their starters in the preseason finale, it’s likely Austin will not be seen in game action until Sept. 5, assuming he’s ready by then, as the Cowboys have thought all along.

Didn't he deal with some hamstring issues last season as well?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, Greg Jennings and Finley returned to practice as well:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/19/greg-jennings-jermichael-finley-return-to-practice/

As the Packers hoped, that wait ended Sunday. Tom Silverstein and Ty Dunne of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel report that Jennings was on the field when the Packers started practicing, the first time that he’s been able to practice since suffering a concussion two weeks ago. Coach Mike McCarthy said that Jennings had satisfied all the steps of the concussion protocol on Saturday, a big hint that he’d be on the field Sunday.

Tight end Jermichael Finley also returned to practice on Sunday. Finley injured his quadriceps earlier this week, forcing him to miss the Thursday night game against the Browns. Finley participated in warmups for that game before the Packers decided to give him a little more rest.

Nameless

well after watching the full game last night it's pretty clear we have a long way to go in the passing game. i don't know if alex will ever be above middle-of-the-pack, but if he doesn't start taking some chances down the field he won't be.

on the missed moss TD last night i realize that VD was his first read and was open so he passed to him but it's just troubling that he either wont go down the field or coaches make all his initial reads short reads that don't really go anywhere.

on top of that our defense looks really shaky right now. i know we were playing without some starters on D but the secondary just looks like a leaky boat. no pressure on the QB either. maybe aldon/brooks fix that and maybe they don't but if brock is on the field at all (which i'm assuming he will be week 1 against the packers and their 4/5 wide sets) then we are in trouble

about the only compliment i can give to our team right now if the offensive line/running game. two weeks in a row we have absolutely dominated up front in the running game. hopefully this continues because i don't think we were a very good running team last year, we just had a high number of runs so the final rushing yards looked somewhat decent

i still think we win the division but unless our passing game improves and/or our defense goes back to playing out of this world (like they did last year), we aren't going to do anything meaningful

The crazy thing is while we have as much depth as we've had in years our weakest area remains one of the most essential in today's NFL, the secondary. Rogers has a high football IQ and he plays relentlessly, but he's prone to getting out ran and/or out muscled by #1 WRs. I like Goldson; he has speed, instincts, and hands but uses his powers selfishly more times than not. Whitner's above average against the run but well below average in coverage and T.Brown is probably best suited to playing nickel back. Generating a pass rush(and creating long fields with our ST) will be invaluable in masking their flaws this year and if anyone on the secondary get's hurt we're fucked.

On the optimistic side sooooo much of what we do on both sides of the ball relies on scheme, so shaky preseasons might turn out to be the norm during the Harbaugh Era.

Packers fans want an NFL where one day you are suspended for BEING an n-word.

What a shitty state. Fuckers gave us Farve, Rodgers and now Ryan.

Now, Ryan's a crazy man and Rodgers is a cancer patient-hating douche, but what do you have against Favre?

He vanquished the evil Patriots before Eli made it cool to do. And it's not like he sent you a picture of his wang.

Some thoughts on the Giants/Jets game. Just a few bullet points.

- The offensive line concerns me. Specifically the depth. The starting line didn't look terrible but I'm unsure of Locklear at LT. Beatty needs to get healthy and prove he was worth that second pick. He played well when he was healthy last year. The 2nd and 3rd string offensive line looks terrible. Brewer got pushed back on several plays. Petrus looks like he's taken a big step backwards and none of the other guys stood out much. I thought McCants played pretty well though.

- No word on the injury to Jayron Hosely but he had a heckuva night. No muffed punts, played the slot corner position with the first team very well and got the pick 6 from Sanchez. The kid is a player and I really hope his injury is minor. I want Antrel Rolle nowhere near the slot position this year.

- The defensive line for all of the DT injuries looked fantastic. In both preseason games really. The Jets offensive line is a mess so that's worth taking into account but we have fantastic depth at the DE position with starting rotation of Tuck, Osi and JPP. Add in Kiwi coming down to the DE position and Adrian Tracy, Broha and even Craig Marshall and there's young talent to develop. The DT's played well and I was glad to see Hendricks getting first team reps. Linval Joseph continues to be an excellent space eater. He's going to have a great year, I think.

- Prince didn't get picked on but then against the Jets anemic pass attack, there isn't much to evaluate. I read some of the beat writers felt he was weak in his run blocking and was beaten on a few passes that weren't taken advantage of. He needs to come along quickly or back to the bath tub with him! (see squicken!)

- Outside of the boneheaded Eli pick, the first team offense moved the ball very well. Especially when you consider that Hakeem Nicks was nowhere on the field and yet Cruz was still all over the place catching the ball. Hixon didn't get much play but I'm really satisfied with the up and comers. Randle has flashed nicely for two games now. Jernigan needs to do more but had a nice Cruz like catch and run and even Stanbach and Douglas got in on the action. Not remotely concerned about the #3 WR spot.

- Sticking with the offense, the run blocking was fucking atrocious last night. The running backs had nowhere to go and this points back to my bullet point - the offensive line. While stats are nice, I'd like to not see Eli have to put the team on his back and for the team to get a running game going. I love Jerry Reese but the offensive line has got to be a target in the coming draft.:(

Oh and Ramses Barden is done. No way he makes this roster. He doesn't play special teams and lets every opportunity pass him by.

EDIT: Injury updates:

LB Mark Herzlich (hip pointer) and DE Adrian Tracy (Hamstring) are both sore but Coughlin says they should be able to play through the soreness
CB Jayron Hosely has a turf toe injury. Coughlin says he'll be very sore but seems to think he'll be back on the field quickly
RB Ahmad Bradshaw suffered a contusion to his right hand and wrist. It's sore but nothing serious.

squicken

Why didn't they go after Edwards or resign plax?

Patrick Turner is not an NFL wr

The Jets think that Plax was partly responsible for getting Santonio all upset. Bad locker room guy there. Florio thinks they have some sort of double-secret offense that they won't unveil until the regular season

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The Jets think that Plax was partly responsible for getting Santonio all upset. Bad locker room guy there. Florio thinks they have some sort of double-secret offense that they won't unveil until the regular season

I don't know about a secret offense but it's pretty obvious they are keeping shit close to the vest, they've been running the most vanilla offenses so far. But not being able to run the most basic shit correctly is not a good start - and how complex of an offense can you run when Wayne Hunter is starting on your OL?

squicken

I don't know about a secret offense but it's pretty obvious they are keeping shit close to the vest, they've been running the most vanilla offenses so far. But not being able to run the most basic shit correctly is not a good start - and how complex of an offense can you run when Wayne Hunter is starting on your OL?

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/02/23/ranking-the-2011-offensive-lines-part-2/

Barry Richardson was worse last year. Sporano is supposed to be a genius line coach. You'll have to hope he fixes it

Sokantish

I was wondering why Marcel Reece hasn't been used also. He's amazing and is usually matched up against people that have no idea how to handle him.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

The fact of the matter is they don't have an NFL caliber reciever on the roster right now outside of Holmes, and he clearly isn't quite on the same page as the rest of the team. I'm really interested to see how it all goes for the jets this year... somehow Ryan always finds a way to get through by the skin of his teeth, but that might change this season.

BigAT

Man...
Are the jets gonna try and get another wr or replace their rt?

Uggg

I was talking to a few of my Jets friends about this last night. It seems like an absolute failure on the part of the Jets' front office to come into the season with those positions in the states they are in. Even if the entire WR group is healthy (and Santonio isn't being a team cancer), it's still a pretty shitty group.

And it's not like Wayne Hunter is some young player they are giving a shot. He was awful all of last season so they had to have known what they were signing up for.

Top Bottom