• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Training Camp/Preseason Thread 2012 - A Farewell to snes :(

Godslay

Banned
He's been releasing the ball lower than he used to. Dude has clearly lost some arm strength and he hasn't compensated for it yet.

Oddly enough, I thought his short passes looked the worst. Slightly wobbly, but from what I have read this has been fairly common for Manning over his career.

He did take a deep shot down the field, which looked good. He's even said that he's not 20 anymore (or something to that effect), so he's not going to have the arm he once did. Even with that said, he did look effective and mostly accurate.

Oddly enough, I thought his short passes looked the worst. Slightly wobbly, but from what I have read this has been fairly common for Manning over his career.

He did take a deep shot down the field, which looked good. He's even said that he's not 20 anymore (or something to that effect), so he's not going to have the arm he once did. Even with that said, he did look effective and mostly accurate.
I don't think he looked bad, I just found it apparent that his arm strength has noticeably diminished in his year off.

Also, just once i'd like to see Peyton actually try to tackle a ball carrier after a pick instead of half-assedly running then falling down untouched.

Loving the Chargers second-stringers tonight.

Also kind of funny how Whitehurst looks more comfortable out there than Rivers.

Don't think i've ever seen Rivers look comfortable playing football.

KaYotiX

Banned
flynn is garbage though. his YPA in the pre-season is like 2.1

i said it at the time and i'll say it again: he is this years kevin kolb. only the seahawks didn't have to give anything but money to get him so they still come looking better than the cards

Even I think the Seahawks messed up on paying that much and I loved him as our backup in Green Bay. Wish we still had him because our back ups are shit

Godslay

Banned
I don't think he looked bad, I just found it apparent that his arm strength has noticeably diminished in his year off.

Also, just once i'd like to see Peyton actually try to tackle a ball carrier after a pick instead of half-assedly running then falling down untouched.

I'd agree with you. I'm not sure if it's just not 100% recovered or age, or a combination of both.

As far as tackling after a pick, I would be perfectly happy if he immediately assumed a fetal position in order to reduce the risk of injury.

THRILLH0

Banned

Yep, Manning throws a lot of accurate ducks, he's never been a perfect spiral guy.

Turnstile

Broncos-Gaf - anyone of you in Denver and want to go to the SF game? I can send you my tickets free of charge. I'm not going to make the game.

minx

Haven't been able to see any highlights but how is Alshon Jeffrey doing for you Bears guys? I wish we would have got him for the Panthers but oh well. He came through for us so many times at South Carolina.

He has looked great so far. Amazing hands. If he had elite speed he would have went in the early first. Going to be a great red zone target. Almost had a TD tonight as well.

Nightz

Ryan Mathews breaks his collarbone in week 1. Vincent Brown breaks his ankle this week. This team is cursed. Just sit the starters for the rest of preseason.

squicken

I love you Harbs, but you are often times a sad little man. Making excuses in preseason?

How do you assess this game, as far as the maturation process of what you want this team to be?

Harbaugh: "That's a great question. I don't know that I really have the answer for us. Was it us? Was it them? Was it . . . things I've been instructed not to comment on, so I won't comment on. So don't even ask me. I don't have a feel for that right now. I wish I had a better feel."

--

What did you like in this game? Were there bright spots?

Harbaugh: "I think there were. There were bright spots, guys competing. Guys were going against a good football team. There was good play. We'll see how much of it -- how much penalties there really was and wasn't. But there's always good. There's always some bad. Just keep climbing. That's the thing we need to do right now. Maybe we'll have more answers after really assessing it. Right now, I don't have a feel for whether it was the Texans? Was it the 49ers? Was it other things?"

---

Were you pleased with the way the first-team defense allowed only one field goal tonight?

Harbaugh: "Yeah, they're never in until they're in. Our guys, as they do a lot, they tightened up toward the red zone and held them to field goals. Big interference call in third quarter was some big yardage on that drive. I don't know. It's interesting. I don't have the pulse on this game. What was it exactly? Us? Them? Some crazy, wild calls. Were they accurate? Weren't they? We'll see. I have a headache (from yelling), though. I have a darned headache. A lot them didn't seem like they were in the ballpark."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-...e-crazy-wild-calls?blockID=759351&feedID=5936

cdyhybrid

at first i really didn't give a shit about this ref stuff but there have been some baffling calls in all the preseason games i've watched this year. not saying the regular refs dont make mistakes but not like this
You're right but bitching about it in the preseason to the press is ridiculous.

squicken

at first i really didn't give a shit about this ref stuff but there have been some baffling calls in all the preseason games i've watched this year. not saying the regular refs dont make mistakes but not like this

Of course they are terrible. The league is really embarrassing itself.

But he seems incapable of admitting any sort of flaws. They didn't protect Alex very well. You could even say they benefited from a dubious roughing call and a few holds, or it would have been worse. But he won't address that. What he will do is say that all the other team's success came b/c the officials screwed up. He somehow found a level of whininess below the "we beat ourselves" cliche

cashman

Banned
dezsick.gif

Of course they are terrible. The league is really embarrassing itself.

But he seems incapable of admitting any sort of flaws. They didn't protect Alex very well. You could even say they benefited from a dubious roughing call and a few holds, or it would have been worse. But he won't address that. What he will do is say that all the other team's success came b/c the officials screwed up. He somehow found a level of whininess below the "we beat ourselves" cliche

maybe you haven't followed harbs as much as your avatar indicates. he doesn't like the media. do you honestly think they get in the filmroom behind closed doors and he says "GEE GUYS YOU ALL FUCKING LOOKED GOOD! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!"

just because he doesn't throw his players under the bus for the media doesn't mean he actually means everything he says in the media. he doesn't give a shit about talking to the media or answering questions. the naive dumbfucks like mike florio say "zomg jim harbaugh said niners have 5 #1 wr's! LOL! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!"

it reminds me of the simpsons episode where lisa goes vegan and they say "are you going to marry a carrot!?" and she says yes i'm going to marry a carrot. and they say OH MY GOD SHE ADMITS IT! that's how people are with harbaugh.

Q: Jim, do you have any #1 WR's on this roster?
A: Yes, we have 5 #1 WR's

OMGWTFBBQ THIS GUY CRAZY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUigCWIHJEQ

Why did JPP throw the CB in the water? Prince didn't seem to enjoy that. The Mara's got Youtube to pull the original so Florio has it hosted there
It seems like them hazing Prince possibly after practice. Of course he didn't enjoy it.:) Steve Weatherford posted the original video on youtube in a joking manner, etc. I love the faux outrage though. If Prince had been truly pissy about it or it was some confrontation, do you think that he would have just happily sat on JPP's shoulder being carried down a hallway without any fight or trying to get out of it? :jnc

Slo said:
Without any context

cashman said:
what a fucking scumbag
Who needs context?;)

squicken

maybe you haven't followed harbs as much as your avatar indicates. he doesn't like the media. do you honestly think they get in the filmroom behind closed doors and he says "GEE GUYS YOU ALL FUCKING LOOKED GOOD! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!"

just because he doesn't throw his players under the bus for the media doesn't mean he actually means everything he says in the media. he doesn't give a shit about talking to the media or answering questions. the naive dumbfucks like mike florio say "zomg jim harbaugh said niners have 5 #1 wr's! LOL! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!"

it reminds me of the simpsons episode where lisa goes vegan and they say "are you going to marry a carrot!?" and she says yes i'm going to marry a carrot. and they say OH MY GOD SHE ADMITS IT! that's how people are with harbaugh.

Q: Jim, do you have any #1 WR's on this roster?
A: Yes, we have 5 #1 WR's

OMGWTFBBQ THIS GUY CRAZY!

Oh you. All coaches have coachspeak and hyperbole. He just takes it up a notch. There's saying he has lots of #1 receivers and then there's saying that he would trust the life of his family to Crabbles catching a ball.

I really respect Harbs the tactician and motivator, though I am curious to see how long his schtick will work. Getting millionaires to wear mechanics' shirts isn't what I would call sustainable

It seems like them hazing Prince possibly after practice. Of course he didn't enjoy it.:) Steve Weatherford posted the original video on youtube in a joking manner, etc. I love the faux outrage though. If Prince had been truly pissy about it or it was some confrontation, do you think that he would have just happily sat on JPP's shoulder being carried down a hallway without any fight or trying to get out of it? :jnc

)

Get out of here with that. Prince clearly didn't appreciate it. Them yelling for him to defend himself doesn't seem to indicate he thought it was a joke. Some guys just go too far with tomfoolery. He threw him head first into a shallow tub. It's such an asshole move I'm kind of surprised you'd defend it

Jacobs posted this on Twitter:

Brandon Jacobs @gatorboy45

Big ups to Kareem Jackson from the Texans he is a classy guy, he came to the the X-ray room to wish me a speedy recovery.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Victor Cruz commented on the shot he took from Landry:

"Right in the chest,'' Cruz said. "Hit me right in the chest. It was a legal hit, nothing illegal. It was very legal, he hit me right in the chest and it was a good shot.'' #nyg

squicken said:
Get out of here with that. Prince clearly didn't appreciate it. Them yelling for him to defend himself doesn't seem to indicate he thought it was a joke. Some guys just go too far with tomfoolery. He threw him head first into a shallow tub. It's such an asshole move I'm kind of surprised you'd defend it
Were you there? Do you know the context or the circumstances? Have you ever been in dorm room or around a bunch of friends acting a fool? Of course some people take it too far but seriously with the outrage? I'm surprised it matters one way or the other to anyone or that profootballtalk is making it into tonights big story (5 twitter updates about it? Really?). It's a bunch of jocks/men acting like assholes towards one another (so yeah, guys hanging out). When he rips his ACL or something, call me. Until then, gimme a break.

For the record, I'm not defending anything. I just couldn't care less to show outrage about shit that probably happens in every NFL locker room around the league (or college campus for that matter except far far worse).

Jacobs posted this on Twitter:

------------------------------------------------------------------

Victor Cruz commented on the shot he took from Landry:

Were you there? Do you know the context or the circumstances? Have you ever been in dorm room or around a bunch of friends acting a fool? Of course some people take it too far but seriously with the outrage? I'm surprised it matters one way or the other to anyone or that profootballtalk is making it into tonights big story (5 twitter updates about it? Really?). It's a bunch of jocks/men acting like assholes towards one another (so yeah, guys hanging out). When he rips his ACL or something, call me. Until then, gimme a break.

For the record, I'm not defending anything. I just couldn't care less to show outrage about shit that probably happens in every NFL locker room around the league (or college campus for that matter except far far worse).

it's whatever because i don't feel too much sympathy for any guys that get paid millions of dollars to play football but clearly prince didn't like and it's just a douchebag thing to do. i would say the samething of anyone else who does something like that as well.

hazing by making rookies pay for the teams dinner or shaving a dick in their head is one thing, but physically picking someone up as if they were a child and throwing them into a pool against their will, thereby emasculating him in front of his other teammates, is just a dick thing to do anyway you want to dice it

squicken

My initial post asked why it happened? He threw him head first into a shallow pool of water. It's an asshole move. Don't really need to have been there to make a call on that. Don't really equate that with "outrage". Heck Florio's most directed post on it was wondering why Weatherford was dumb enough to put it online.

edit: I do get it though. Jets steal all the talk in NY. Then on the day the Giants embarrass them the big story is an unflattering one. I can't say I really watched the Giants game with my full attention. And I chalked up their defensive exploits as much to the Jets awfulness as any excellence on NYG's part. Probably not fair, but the Jets are a circus and it's fun to watch the tent collapse

squicken said:
My initial post asked why it happened?
I don't know anymore than you do. Garafolo is supposed to post something on it tomorrow (apparently he spoke to Prince at the game) so I suppose we'll find out then.

squicken said:
He threw him head first into a shallow pool of water. It's an asshole move.
Of course it is. It's a complete dick move. Never argued otherwise. It's hazing! It's a bunch young guys acting their age is my point.;) As noted, maybe I'm not quite as angered or whatever you want to describe it as because I've seen worst in person in College frat house initiations.

squicken said:
Heck Florio's most directed post on it was wondering why Weatherford was dumb enough to put it online.
Agreed on that one. That's what leads me to ask - if it was some big terrible thing that Prince will need therapy over for the next ten years to get over, I'm not so sure Weatherford would have posted it to begin. He probably felt it was innocuous cause he was like you know..there.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
but physically picking someone up as if they were a child and throwing them into a pool against their will
Yep. Look at all of that struggle in the video! JPP can barely keep him contained on his shoulder!

EDIT:

squicken said:
I do get it though. Jets steal all the talk in NY. Then on the day the Giants embarrass them the big story is an unflattering one.
Dude, I don't even care about that. I just think when it's all said and done people saying how awful it was for Prince will end up caring about it more than he will.

Ie other people are douchebags therefore Im fine with this display of douchebaggery.

TheLegendary said:
Ie other people are douchebags therefore Im fine with this display of douchebaggery.
Again, call me when someone is injured or truly scarred with some horrible life changing event. In the interim, let me know when you get off of that moral high horse you're riding.

I don't know anymore than you do. Garfolo is supposed to post something on it tomorrow (apparently he spoke to Prince at the game) so I suppose we'll find out then.

Of course it is. It's a complete dick move. Never argued otherwise. It's hazing! It's a bunch young guys acting their age is my point.;) As noted, maybe I'm not quite as angered or whatever you want to describe it as because I've seen worst in person in College frat house initiations.

Agreed on that one. That's what leads me to ask - if it was some big terrible thing that Prince will need therapy over for the next ten years to get over, I'm not so sure Weatherford would have posted it to begin. He probably felt it was innocuous cause he was like you know..there.

Yep. Look at all of that struggle in the video! JPP can barely keep him contained on his shoulder!

EDIT:

Dude, I don't even care about that. I just think when it's all said and done people saying how awful it was for Prince will end up caring about it more than he will.

are you dense? listen to the shit being said and look at prince's face afterwards. you are naive if you think he could've just "struggled away" and had no repercussions. that's what hazing is. you have a group of dudes picking on someone and if they tell anyone about it or don't take the hazing then it's going to be worse the next time

FrenchMovieTheme said:
you are naive if you think he could've just "struggled away" and had no repercussions.
What are they going to do? Beat him up in the alley out back? Pull out the baseball bats until he can't walk? Please follow your logic through to conclusion. What repercussions?

Are they going to tie him to the field goal post next time and throw ketchup, mayo and other condiments on him? I seem to remember that happening on the last hard knocks with the Jets.

What are they going to do? Beat him up in the alley out back? Pull out the baseball bats until he can't walk? Please follow your logic through to conclusion. What repercussions?

Are they going to tie him to the field goal post next time and throw ketchup, mayo and other condiments on him? I seem to remember that happening on the last hard knocks with the Jets.

not necessarily physical repercussions in all instances. sometimes it can be social repercussions or "not fitting in" with the guys because you didn't go along with it. but like the old saying goes, boys will be boys! nothing to see here!

squicken

Alright bros I'm not sure what we're arguing over here. Everyone agrees it's hazing. We all understand what hazing is. We all understand some people go to far. We all agree what JPP did was an asshole thing.

It's just an unflattering story. We love those! Freeman and tacos. Kevin Kolb. Shirtless VY. Sex boat. Brady . . . doing lots of things. And now this.

squicken said:
Everyone agrees it's hazing. We all understand what hazing is. We all understand some people go to far. We all agree what JPP did was an asshole thing.
Yep. I just don't believe Prince is quite as weak minded about it as some make it sound.

squicken said:
It's just an unflattering story. We love those! Freeman and tacos. Kevin Kolb. Shirtless VY. Sex boat. Brady . . . doing lots of things. And now this.
So does that mean the next time JPP gets a sack folks will say he threw them in the tub?

Top Bottom