• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Training Camp/Preseason Thread 2012 - A Farewell to snes :(

Gruden is calling the packers game tonight, finally he's back
7ILL0l.jpg

Good work goldie, but don't expect Broyles to be a something he's not. He's not a burner. He can probably get deep on a scrub #3 CB, but he's really just a very good slot guy. Just has knack for getting open and is a good YAC guy. We always want to compare these guys to Welker, but I just don't think he's that fast. But he's much more gifted than a guy like Amendola. He is fearless and is a hard worker. High character guy you can use.

He could rack up huge numbers with all the space CJ creates, but he really did have a bad injury. Might take some time to get quicks back

Thanks!

Thats exactly how I feel about Broyles too. I know he doesn't impose a deep threat, and that makes him the perfect compliment to Young and Megatron. Broyles and Pettigrew culd be an insane Tandem in the middle of the field. I'm excited for him to be completely healthy and provide a midseason spark if it needs to happen. He fits great in Linnehans system and the YAC is something this team could use. Outside of CJ, the team almost never gets extra yards

mr2xxx

Banned
rgiii-subway-statue-629x460.jpg

2012 Washington Redskins

Offense
[QB] This is why we are here, to see the development of our new franchise QB Robert Griffin III. The Redskins gave up three first round picks to pick this man and all eyes will be on him today. In camp he has played like a rookie, holds on to the ball too long sometimes, threw some bad picks but other times can make incredible plays with his arm and feet. Look for a lot of bootlegs similar to Beck last year but with much better results. WIth the current state of the OL don't be surprised to see RGIII running for his life from that nasty DL of the Bills. Next up will be Rex Grossman vs. Kirk cousins for the backup role. Kirk has no chance this year to beat out Rex so wait till next year for the competition to really take place.

[RB] It will be a tough competition between RBs Evan Royster, Tim Hightower and Roy Helu. Tim Hightower is coming off a torn ACL and will probably see very little playing time as he is slowly being worked in over the course of the preseason. Roy Helu is the explosive back that has breakaway speed but it looks like Evan Royster who is the more all around RB will get the starting nod today. Also watch out for rookie Alfred Morris who is a big back to get a lot of playing time today.

[FB] With the starter Darrell Young out with an injury look for Cooley to take some snaps here as he tries to maintain a spot on the team. If you recall Cooley has played as an H-Back under Gibbs which is a combination of FB and TE so no worries here.

[WR] The Redskins have added Garcon and Morgan in the offseason to compliment RGIII. Garcon is a deep threat and has been great in camp, he has secured a spot as starter. On the opposite end Morgan who has been having health issues this camp will play today and compete with Hankerson for the other starting spot. Hankerson coming of labrum surgery (Bo Jackson's same injury) has made a marvelous recovery and has been doing great in training camp. The slot looks to be locked up by Redskin fan favorite Santana Moss, Moss has lost 15 lbs in preparation for the season and has regained some of his speed. For the last spot on the roster Brandon Banks the smallest player on the team and probably most pee wee teams looks to have developed as a receiver in addition of being a great returner. Look for Briscoe, Austin, Robinson and to compete against him today. Up and comer from two years ago Anthony Armstrong? is still hurt and will not play today.

[TE] Fred Davis is back at starter and Cooley is finally healthy from years of being injured. Look to see if Cooley can remain healthy and the big thing to watch out here is the development of Niles Paul. Paul was recently converted from receiver to TE and Shanny is hoping for Shannon Sharpe like results.

[OL] The OL is currently in shambles, nothing new to the Redskins for the past few few years. Our RT Jamal Brown is still hurt despite taking up yoga and I doubt we will ever see him play. Chris Chester and Lichtensteiger are out this week. This leaves Maurice Hurt and Tyler Polumbus to pick up the slack. We will see rookie Adam Gettis start in place Chris Chester. Also look for 3rd round rookie Josh LeRibeus to play on the 2nd team to see if he has anything because he will most likely be starting by the end of the year. The only bright spot we have is at LT with the return of the silverback Trent Williams coming back from his suspension.

Defense
[DL] Starters are the same as last year with Barry Cofield, Stephen Bowen and Adam Carriker returning. Watch for Jarvis Jenkins to be worked in the rotation to see if he has fully recovered from his knee injury. Jenkins was a 2nd rd pick who was drawing rave reviews in training camp but was injured during this time last year. Also watch Chris Nield and Chris Baker battle for the back up NT position. Chris Nield a 7th round pick last year had a great week 1 game against the Giants but disappeared the rest of the season.

[OLB] Orakpo and Kerrigan are starters here, watch them put Ryan Fitzpatrick on his back multiple times.

[ILB] The great never aging London Fletcher will be lined up next to 2nd year Perry Riley who beat out Rocky Mcintosh last year for the other ILB spot. We are set here as long as Fletcher stays healthy. Watch out for 3rd string rookie Keenan Robinson who looks like he can be a starter someday.

[CB] Deangelo Hall and Josh Wilson will be the starters. Rookie Richard Crawford has been looking great in camp with multiple interceptions, watch if he can pass Kevin Barnes and Cedric Griffin on the depth chart.

[FS] Madieu Williams will get starter reps but 2nd year Dejon Gomes and free agent Tanard Jackson will compete for the starting spot. The competition is wide open currently and one to watch.

[SS] Free agent/ 2x time pro-bowler Brandon Meriweather will be the starter. Reports from camp have said that he has a great nose for the ball and hopefully he will good since we have no depth here, also he isn't injury prone like our ex-SS, good luck luck Jets.

Special Teams
[P] Sav Rocca

[K] It will be Gano vs Rackers competing for this spot.

Dragon

Banned
I'm gonna find a sports bar to watch games tonight. No NFL Network here in my temp housing.

Where to go where to go...

[SS] Free agent/ 2x time pro-bowler Brandon Meriweather will be the starter. Reports from camp have said that he has a great nose for the ball and hopefully he will good since we have no depth here, also he isn't injury prone like our ex-SS, good luck luck Jets.

nicolas-cage-laugh-14piow.gif

mr2xxx

Banned
***hopefully... With the state of the safeties there is nothing else you can do but to talk to God and pray for the best.

Dragon

Banned
***hopefully... With the state of the safeties there is nothing else you can do but to talk to God and pray for the best.

Meriweather couldn't cover a paralyzed person. The guy can tackle and get illegal hit penalties though so that's something.

LiveWire

2012 Washington Redskins

0ap1000000048015.jpg

The top 4 QBs in the NFL get ready to take the field this 1st week of NFL preseason action

[RB] There's also a kid from Syracuse Antwon Bailey at RB. He won't get starting time at RB this game (maaaaybe in the 4th quarter?) but might take some return reps away from Brandon Banks, who is rumored to be at risk of getting cut.

[FB] Very curious to see how Cooley responds to being this position. While he adds a lot to the receiving side of this position and may allow the Shanahans to craft some interesting formations, he is not a good blocker, and behind an already creaky offensive line this could be a complete disaster.

[TE] My gut says Niles Paul ends up becoming the #1 TE by the end of the season.

[OL] lol, what is an offensive line?

Defense
[DL] Really excited to see Jarvis Jenkins back. Hopefully he can make a big impact and really free up Orakpo/Kerrigan.

[CB] Griffin or Barnes may also get starting time at #2, apparently they're toying with Hall as nickelback in some formations.

[K] Rackers will win out.

cajunator

Banned
I have to work tonight. Only one of my uncles would have the channel the game is on anyway and he's out of town.
Looksl ike Ill have to find a stream.

Dang, I don't want to watch the Pack. Looks like all NFL Network has tonight is a look-in show that covers all the games off and on. They're televising every pre-season game per their usual - after the fact tomorrow and the following day.

What the hell HBO, how come Hard Knocks isn't on demand yet?

They're doing you a favor. Except for the bikini reverse crotch-shot during the credits/opening, it's terrible.

Milchjon

I dunno if any other Pats fans were about to type up something superior, but here’s my superficial contribution:

What to watch for: PATRIOTS

Y3ICk.jpg

OFFENSE: After a great year 2011, the offense returns with some added weapons, but it also features scary holes at key positions. The return of OC Josh McDaniels should mean some more creative playcalling.

[QB]: Tom might be 35, but on all accounts he’s still awesome. He’s had some down days in camp, but he pushes himself all the time. He’s been having his throwing coach (Yes, the baseball guy that also worked with Tebow) over at Gilette for the past few days to help him get over his problems. Not much has been said about Hoyer and Mallett, it seems they are progressing well enough to not be worried about it. They know their place.

[RB]: With the sad departure of the Law Firm and Joseph Addai (intentionally?) failing his conditioning test, there's no truly tested player left at RB. Our favorite Woodhead returns, and Stevan Ridley and Shane Vareen enter their second season, with Ridley being slated as the main workhorse. The pleasant surprise of the camp has been undrafted Rookie Brandon Bolden, who is expected to make the roster.

[WR]: Brandon Lloyd might be the most exciting acquisition in years, apparently Tom and him already have great rapport. Welker returns, but after the contract talks broke down things have been quiet. Vagina Groper Edelman is expected to make the team mostly for returns, and Matthew Slater has been a ST fixture. And then there are three wise men battling for the remaining spots in Branch, Jabar Gaffney and Donte Stallworth. The latter got the most praise during camp, and Branch might just be the odd man out.

[TE]: After an enjoyable summer of Gronk, he returns to football looking mostly healthy. But he has been overshadowed for the past few weeks by Hernandez, who looks to have a monster season. No wonder Belichick kisses his elbow. Jake Ballard will probably spend most of the year on IR, so the remaining spot will go either to Daniel Fells or Visanthe Shiancoe. So far it looks like Fells is in front.

[OL]: The scariest part of the roster might just kill us this year. Matt Light retired, Logan Mankins is still injured, and Vollmer’s back could be a long term thing
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
. Nate Solder will move to LT, and so far reports have been mixed. Marcus Cannon seems to be doing well, Dan Koppen seems to be pretty shitty and might be cut. Dan Connolly will probably be back, Brian Waters might be as well. And after that, there’s an ever changing list of scrubs who’s names I can’t be arsed to remember. If Vollmer and Mankins don’t get healthy soon and Scarnecchia doesn’t miraculously fix everything, the situation looks pretty shitty.

DEFENSE: After a terrible year where no one seemed to be able to tackle and BB had to put receivers into the secondary, things look a bit better this year. At least until the camp hype cools down.

[DL] Things look pretty sturdy here. Jermaine Cunningham has drawn rave reviews for his improvements. Chandler Jones was supposed to be pretty raw, but he’s been playing with the first team for a while and looks like he’ll add some much needed pressure. At DT, Wilfork is still the same old beast, and Brandon Deaderick and Kyle Love seem to have their spots secured. The rest of the line will probably be shuffled around for a bit, with Ron Brace, Gerard Warren and Rookie Jake Bequette still in the mix.

[LB] Dont’a Hightower looks like a great pick so far, a truly versatile player that even BB seems to love. Brandon Spikes seems to be better than ever, and Jerod Mayo also returns. There’s still some competition for the remaining spots, but Dane Fletcher and Bobby Carpenter look like the best bets.

[CB] Ras-I Dowling looks finally healthy, and has been pretty good so far. Devin McCourty still doesn’t seem to be over the hump, which disappoints me a lot. Arrington looks serviceable as always, but not more. Sterling Moore seems to be getting better, and Rookie Alfonzo Dennard might make the roster.

Patrick Chung has been a lone bright spot when he’s been healthy. Steve Gregory from the Chargers has been added and played solid. Rookie Tavon Wilson and James Ihedigbo seem to be the front runners for the remaining spots.

SPECIAL TEAMS:
Gostkowski is still his old reliable self, and Zoltan Mesko is awesome. Other than that, the special teams picture isn’t completely clear yet, as several key pieces from last year might not make the roster. We’ll wait and see.

Overall, I'm not terribly confident. Even with an improved pass rush, the secondary doesn't look that much better. And the Oline remains a legit concern, especially with the Bills and others shoring up their pass rush.
But then again, I'm a pessimist. At least we have the most wholesome atmosphere.

VBeQr.jpg

Pats dudes, feel free to add depth!

Dragon

Banned

Great write up! Only things I'd add are Shancoe hasnt been healthy and most likely will be cut and Fells will probably start the season on PUP list. So that means two TE again until what Week 7?

The other thing is Deaderick may be the odd guy out. We'll see.

Godslay

Banned
Great write up! Only things I'd add are Shancoe hasnt been healthy and most likely will be cut and Fells will probably start the season on PUP list. So that means two TE again until what Week 7?

The other thing is Deaderick may be the odd guy out. We'll see.

What happened to Fells? I always thought he would be a decent TE, with the assumption that someone could get the ball to him.

Top Bottom