• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 12 |OT| What Are You Thankful For?

WedgeX

Banned
J Joseph, Shaun Cody, Ben Tate, Tim Dobbins & DeVier Posey are all likely game-time decisions

I'd add that there's no reason to stress Andre Johnson or Arian Foster. Heck if Megatron's knee is really a problem DET needs to manage him pretty well too

This isn't a Thursday night game. It's a day game. If's a half day less than the normal awful performances we get on Thursday night games b/c guys are tired. Games that overwhelmingly go the home teams' way

The Lions have to (impossibly) win every game to get a chance at the playoffs. And Burleson broke his leg, and Young Jr. went selfish and hopefully will be cut. Outside of Megatron is really only Broyles left. Osgood is primarily a special teams player, Thomas was picked up to be a returner...and I have no idea who Robiskie is. No time until the off season for Megatron to rest. Fortunately, Megatron practiced today, which is rare since he'd been sitting out the past few weeks.

squicken

People get worked up over SBs. Eli's had one great year and the rest where he's been up and down. QB ranks are dumb. There are 4 guys above the rest. Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, Brady. Maybe Ben when healthy.

All the rest rise and fall with their situations

Ezio

HOU @ DET
WAS @ DAL
NE @ NYJ
TEN @ JAC
BUF @ IND
PIT @ CLE
OAK @ CIN
DEN @ KC
SEA @ MIA
ATL @ TB
MIN @ CHI
BAL @ SD
STL @ ARI
SF @ NO
GB @ NYG

CAR @ PHI

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Had a Perfect Week in GAF's Weekly Pick'em

Hooray!

Oh Shit Plexi-Glass is a Steeler again, desperate times my friends, desperate times

I would still take Eli over anyone other than Rodgers right now.

Maybe Henne.
Honestly, I wouldn't. I'd take him over Brady and his brother right now, but just barely.

Still, Squicken is overrating Alex Smith. Let's see this guy win when his defense and running game fails him.

squicken

Honestly, I wouldn't. I'd take him over Brady and his brother right now, but just barely.

Still, Squicken is overrating Alex Smith. Let's see this guy win when his defense fails him.

Let's see Eli when his defense fails him. Like I said, Eli has never won a playoff game when his defense gave up more than 22 points. All I said was there was a compelling comparison between Eli and Alex's career arcs

Let's see Eli when his defense fails him. Like I said, Eli has never won a playoff game when his defense gave up more than 22 points. All I said was there was a compelling comparison between Eli and Alex's career arcs
In order to fulfill my quarterly quota for "Dan Marino is the GOAT" posts I submit the following:

If Dan Marino had been on the current 49'ers or Giants during his prime he would have won at least 5 Super Bowls.

Drew Brees gives you a mission in the new Hitman:

invVd62qV4LCj.jpg

Cagey

Banned

Arbitrary cutoff point is arbitrary.

Eli has three playoff losses: 23-0, 23-20, 23-11

I see what you're saying, however I still think you're being too lenient to Alex Smith. The dude only has one playoff run under his belt, and when he did he had the most dominant defense in the league AND a God tier offensive line under his belt.

I think a more favorable comparison would be Mark Sanchez. They have reverse career arcs, but under similar circumstances. Mark Sanchez looked more than servicable when he had the Jets then amazing o-line and dominant D lifting his wings.

Striker

In 2005 Eli completed 53% of his passes and the Giants went 11-5. Eli didn't have a passer rating over 90 until 2009, the year they finally drafted Nicks and Smith went nuts in the slot.

How do we know Alex isn't Eli? You laugh but that's playoffs results oriented. Eli w/o that defense is what?
The Giants defense last year was giving up big play after big play. Forget the Cowboys game? Only if it wasn't for Romo overshooting Miles Austin the Giants lose. But the defense got very lucky, and the Giants offense won them the game. If it wasn't for Eli last season, that team is miserable and would be lucky to win four games. They were absolutely pathetic for a good part of the season. You're sitting here like its been the top ranked defense year in and year out, hardly the fact. Middle of the pack at best.

It's obvious Eli's improved each year he's been in the league. He's cited getting teammates he trusts more as a reason, and was able to grow as a leader of the team. With Burress, Shockey, and Barber he was unable to do that. Shockey and Burress begged for targets, and often times ran the wrong routes, and Eli would force it to them. It hindered his progress. Toomer was his best go-to WR and he was 1) slow as hell and 2) could not get much separation after YAC most of the time. When they finally got Nicks and Cruz, they were able to break open the offense for big plays and downfield throws more often.

Your move, coaching staff. I don't get the handling of Wilson at all.
The fact they would ever bring up pass pro as an issue for him, but continue to put in a bum like Diehl at RT really shines bright on some of their decisions.

squicken

I see what you're saying, however I still think you're being too lenient to Alex Smith. The dude only has one playoff run under his belt, and when he did he had the most dominant defense in the league AND a God tier offensive line under his belt.

I think a more favorable comparison would be Mark Sanchez. They have reverse career arcs, but under similar circumstances. Mark Sanchez looked more than servicable when he had the Jets then amazing o-line and dominant D lifting his wings.

But then Alex played under Mike Singletary, possibly the worst NFL coach in the past 25 years. Alex finally got competent coaching and flourished. It all goes back to a Steve Young quote that I'll paraphrase. The most important attribute for a young QB to have is landing in a good situation

Cagey

Banned
The fact they would ever bring up pass pro as an issue for him, but continue to put in a bum like Diehl at RT really shines bright on some of their decisions.

Ahmad Bradshaw barely practices and doesn't have working feet, yet he starts over Andre Brown and David Wilson alike. In Wilson's position, I'd be furious. Unless Bradshaw goes down with another injury that physically prevents him from playing, the staff will keep trotting him out there, relegating Wilson to the bench and Brown to the neglected spellback role.

squicken

The Giants defense last year was giving up big play after big play. Forget the Cowboys game? Only if it wasn't for Romo overshooting Miles Austin the Giants lose. But the defense got very lucky, and the Giants offense won them the game. If it wasn't for Eli last season, that team is miserable and would be lucky to win four games. They were absolutely pathetic for a good part of the season. You're sitting here like its been the top ranked defense year in and year out, hardly the fact. Middle of the pack at best.

Yeah I definitely agree he was great last year, but it's been a long road, and he was shaky but not bad early on.

d[-_-]b

Banned
Steelers suck!

Big Ben is not there this time to throw us into a bathroom stall!

For once we will fight back and say "NO!"

Kave dude your team just knows how to break hearts, I even rooted for them this past weekend...

I'm thankful November is almost over and the Giants are bound to win at least one game in November...

Striker

John Hufnagel, and his two primary receivers were a detriment to his growth. As good as two those players were, half the time they hurt this team than helped it. Once they were gone it allowed him to be more elevated than he ever could have before.

re: Bradshaw

I can't get over them not using Brown more as the A2 back to Bradshaw. With his fumbles and cement feet, you have two other backs capable of sharing the workload.

cdyhybrid

Dolphins fucking suck.

HOU @ DET
WAS @ DAL
NE @ NYJ

TEN @ JAC
BUF @ IND
PIT @ CLE
OAK @ CIN
DEN @ KC
SEA @ MIA
ATL @ TB
MIN @ CHI
BAL @ SD
STL @ ARI
SF @ NO
GB @ NYG

CAR @ PHI

HOU @ DET
WAS @ DAL
NE @ NYJ

TEN @ JAC
BUF @ IND
PIT @ CLE
OAK @ CIN
DEN @ KC: It's the Chiefs. The Chiefs.
SEA @ MIA
ATL @ TB
MIN @ CHI
BAL @ SD
STL @ ARI
SF @ NO
GB @ NYG

CAR @ PHI: TIE

I think Eznark said it best - Kaepernick throws for 250 yards and two touchdowns and all of sudden there's a QB controversy? Even his coach thinks Smith sucks.

Giants defense ain't that great and Eli has won a good number of games.

Points per game, I hate the yards per game defensive ranking...

2012 current rank 12th giving up 21.6 points/game
2011 25th, 25points SB year..
2010 17th, 21.6
2009 30th, 26.7
2008 5th, 18.4 defending champs
2007 17th, 21.9 SB year.
2006 24th, 22.6
2005 14th 19.6
2004 Eli rookie year.. 17th 21.7

Giants defense under TC has had ONE top ten appearance, and only twice they have kept it under 20..

Cagey

Banned
What's with Giants players and not practicing?

Veteran starters with nagging injuries are given leeway in terms of repeated limited practices or straight up DNPs but still get a full workload come Sunday.

Justin Tuck and Ahmad Bradshaw are the most habitual offenders.

Antrel Rolle's comments last December, which included a thinly veiled reference to team captain Justin Tuck, focused on guys not showing up Tuesday-Friday to work their asses off for Sunday.

I think Eli's problem is the same as it ever was - stupid fucking decision making. He's the one QB where you can instantly say "That ball's intercepted" just by looking at his throw.

Veteran starters with nagging injuries are given leeway in terms of repeated limited practices or straight up DNPs but still get a full workload come Sunday.

Justin Tuck and Ahmad Bradshaw are the most habitual offenders.

Antrel Rolle's comments last December, which included a thinly veiled reference to team captain Justin Tuck, focused on guys not showing up Tuesday-Friday to work their asses off for Sunday.

That happens on every team though - Polamalu is constantly held out of practice.

Smokey

I guess I should apologize and eat crow right now. I really thought the Texans were gonna regress this season and lose the division. But I was totally wrong. That team is really good and fun to watch. JJ Watt is a man and Kareem Jackson is utter garbage like he used to be. Gonna be a tough draw for anyone in the playoffs.

That being said, I have a few things to say ahead of game time: Fuck you Mech, Fuck you Matrix, fuck you Bob, fuck you Miguel, fuck you Squicken, fuck you Smokey, and fuck the two other members of Texans-age I can't remember right now.

Another Thanksgiving soured by a team far superior than Detroit is coming. You would think I would be used to it at this point, but something about Thanksgiving gives me hope. False hope, but hope none the less

Say playa you're going to win this game on Thursday. Second you included Bob in texans age oh wow

Cagey

Banned
I think Eli's problem is the same as it ever was - stupid fucking decision making. He's the one QB where you can instantly say "That ball's intercepted" just by looking at his throw.

That happens on every team though - Polamalu is constantly held out of practice.

I can't speak to Polamalu, but the issue on the Giants side has been that the players on severely limited practice schedules have underperformed on Sundays (including the named two this season and last season before Week 16). It's one thing if you're holding a guy out who is still playing at a high level each weekend, but that's not been the case.

squicken

Ed Reed unsuspended by the NFL

Good to see that ze Goodellfuhrer came to his damn senses (or just got tired of everyone bitching)

EDIT:After reviewing the article, it looks like it was overturned on appeal by Ted Cottrell, not by a sudden change of heart by Roger Goodell.

1. Pretend to care about player safety and suspend Reed

2. Overturned suspension shows appeals process legitimate and Saints are little bitches

Goodell victory

Draxal

Eli's problem is that the wr's can't get open (Nicks is hurt, Bracket Cruz, offense is too complicated for Randle), and the offensive line which was fine was ruined by a coaching decision.

Striker

People get worked up over SBs. Eli's had one great year and the rest where he's been up and down. QB ranks are dumb. There are 4 guys above the rest. Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, Brady. Maybe Ben when healthy.

All the rest rise and fall with their situations
Ben has a better defense and you're here judging Eli based off his. Okay. Worked up over SB's is fine if its a one and done deal by the talent around him like Brad Johnson.

Eli's problem is that the wr's can't get open (Nicks is hurt, Bracket Cruz, offense is too complicated for Randle), and the offensive line which was fine was ruined by a coaching decision.
Add that Bennett's been hobbled.

They are having to face two deep Safety and they still can't run the ball. That is what has been the offenses downfall, which also puts them in longer 2nd and 3rd downs.

Top Bottom