• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 12 |OT| What Are You Thankful For?

Eli's problem is that the wr's can't get open (Nicks is hurt, Bracket Cruz, offense is too complicated for Randle), and the offensive line which was fine was ruined by a coaching decision.

Uh,no.

Eli forcing balls to a WR who can't get separation isn't the Wideout's problem, it's Eli's.

The fact they would ever bring up pass pro as an issue for him, but continue to put in a bum like Diehl at RT really shines bright on some of their decisions.
I swear to God if Locklear isn't starting over Diehl this week someone needs to start the "Fire Coughlin" chant again. O-Lines work best when people trust a guy isn't going to blow his assignment half the time. For all we know half the other issues the line has had they were worried about his punkass blowing it.
Uh,no.

Eli forcing balls to a WR who can't get separation isn't the Wideout's problem, it's Eli's.
So... if none of your WRs can get separation, it's the QBs fault?

Striker

I swear to God if Locklear isn't starting over Diehl this week someone needs to start the "Fire Coughlin" chant again. O-Lines work best when people trust a guy isn't going to blow his assignment half the time. For all we know half the other issues the line has had they were worried about his punkass blowing it.
Snee has been dealing with issues too, so the entire right side is either: playing badly injured and has a fork in his ass.

I wonder how Cordle would have been, but I guess they felt an injured Snee is still better than a healthy Cordle. Oh well. Hopefully he's gotten healthy over the bye because they need to do something. I'm still looking out for any news on Diehl-Locklear. Bennett will probably be lingering for a while.

Ben has a better defense and you're here judging Eli based off his. Okay. Worked up over SB's is fine if its a one and done deal by the talent around him like Brad Johnson.

Add that Bennett's been hobbled.

They are having to face two deep Safety and they still can't run the ball. That is what has been the offenses downfall, which also puts them in longer 2nd and 3rd downs.

Suck less. If he's elite like he says he is then he'd stop sucking. Elite QB's face those situations and still perform. Our rushing numbers are much, much lower than the Giants (especially if you take out Rodgers' rushes) and Rodgers faces even more two deep and somehow he manages not to suck. Even with Jennings out the whole year.

That said I dont think it's fair to put down Eli and then praise Ben either. He's benefited the most out of probably any QB ever by having a consistently elite D.

Nameless

1 7 7 Aldon Smith DE Missouri
2 4 36 Colin Kaepernick QB Nevada
3 16 80 Chris Culliver S South Carolina
4 18 115 Kendall Hunter RB Oklahoma State

5 32 163 Daniel Kilgore G Appalachian State
6 17 182 Ronald Johnson WR USC
6 25 190 Colin Jones S TCU
7 8 211 Bruce Miller OLB UCF
7 38 239 Mike Person T Montana State
7 49 250 Curtis Holcomb

1 11 11 Anthony Davis T Rutgers
1 17 17 Mike Iupati G Idaho

2 17 49 Taylor Mays S USC
3 27 91 Navorro Bowman OLB Penn State
6 4 173 Anthony Dixon RB Mississippi State
6 13 182 Nate Byham TE Pittsburgh
6 37 206 Kyle Williams WR Arizona State
7 17 224 Phillip Adams CB South Carolina State

Our last two drafts have been ridiculously good. It's truly become a strength of our team. Long time Niner fans know that wasn't always the case. Whatever became of Kentwan Balmer anyway?

DeaconKnowledge said:
I'd agree. Over the past couple of weeks, his decision making has been poor. There's no question and I won't sit here and defend it away by deflecting blame soley to the WR's.

His performance is a byproduct of several factors though that shouldn't be ignored including his trying to do much which was a big problem he had in 2010. The line has played poorly, wide receivers have played poorly and so has Eli. Hell, the running backs have played like absolute garbage so the offensive woes for the Giants have been a team effort and hardly a "oh look Eli is playing like shit and it's his fault". If you aren't protected, you're going to play like shit. If you WR's can't separate you're going to try to fit passes into tight windows and make throws you shouldn't at times. Ahmad Bradshaw being a fumble machine in the middle of promising drives doesn't help either. Not excusing the shit decision making at times but there it is.

Eli carried this team through the first 6-7 games of the season much like he did all of last year which is conveniently forgotten for some oddball reason. I don't care about elite titles as they are meaningless at the end of the day. What I know is that I trust him to turn it around and play like he has for the last several years. Even with the 25 interception season (Drew Brees threw 22 that season by the way), he still threw for over 4000 yards and 30TD's.

squicken said:
There are 4 guys above the rest. Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, Brady. Maybe Ben when healthy.
I generally respect your opinion but that's a joke. You're going to attribute Eli's success to him having a defense and throw Ben's fucking name in there? Yeah, ok. J N FUCKING K.

TheLegendary said:
Rodgers faces even more two deep and somehow he manages not to suck.
Rodgers looked pretty mortal earlier in the season when your offense wasn't entirely clicking also. Erased that from memory? He also sucked complete ass against Seattle (sorry, those 8 sacks weren't all on your offensive line). Conveniently forgotten. Again, I couldn't care less about elite labels and I certainly don't put Eli in the same category as Rodgers but even good QB's go through some troublesome spots. Peyton Manning certainly didn't look like Peyton Manning earlier in the season. I'm sure folks would say "He hadn't played for nearly a year and half!" but I seem to remember so many around here screaming from the rooftops that he was done and his arm is gone and all kinds of other fun things when he threw three picks in a quarter. The wonders of instant reaction football fans.

kyle-williams-fumble-o.gif

Suck less. If he's elite like he says he is then he'd stop sucking. Elite QB's face those situations and still perform. Our rushing numbers are much, much lower than the Giants (especially if you take out Rodgers' rushes) and Rodgers faces even more two deep and somehow he manages not to suck. Even with Jennings out the whole year.

That said I dont think it's fair to put down Eli and then praise Ben either. He's benefited the most out of probably any QB ever by having a consistently elite D.

Actually I'll give you another Steeler QB who benefited from an elite D: Terry Bradshaw.

Nameless

Just to be clear, a few years from now, when no one will suspect anything I still plan on sneaking into his home and killing him in his sleep, but he is a legitimate deep threat and manages to keep himself on the field despite tons of depth at the position. Ace value for a 6th round pick.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Benefiting from an Elite D does not disqualify you from being Elite.
I don't disagree. It does disqualify using the defense as a primary reason for a QB's success when the other guy obviously benefited just as much if not more from his own defense.

(AND GOD DAMN your avatar pic. I thought you were Larry!)

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
We all know its been in the making for Bob

lol

It's funny, you putting Bob in our group was the only thing that could upset any of us.

harSon

Banned

Alongside an offensive line that was consistently the worst in the NFL since Alan Faneca left. And a running game that has jumped between above average to mediocre (and worst if you use a real metric like rushing yards per attempt) since Jerome retired. And managing to excel behind an offensive coordinator who forced an offensive scheme onto a team regardless of whether they're equipped to run it, making the before mentioned offensive deficiencies that much worst.

He had average output from his offensive line for once, an average running game for a few games, and an offensive coordinator who took the team's strengths into account when he crafted an offensive scheme, and what happened? Ben carved up opposing defenses and maintained a ridiculous time of possession average.

Can you imagine how amazing Ben would have been over the years if they allowed him to run the no huddle permanently? Yes, Ben's defense helped him win games, but his personal stats have been consistently great despite many of the players and personnel around him.

Rodgers looked pretty mortal earlier in the season when your offense wasn't entirely clicking also. Erased that from memory? He also sucked complete ass against Seattle (sorry, those 8 sacks weren't all on your offensive line). Conveniently forgotten. Again, I couldn't care less about elite labels and I certainly don't put Eli in the same category as Rodgers but even good QB's go through some troublesome spots. Peyton Manning certainly didn't look like Peyton Manning earlier in the season. I'm sure folks would say "He hadn't played for nearly a year and half!" but I seem to remember so many around here screaming from the rooftops that he was done and his arm is gone and all kinds of other fun things when he threw three picks in a quarter. The wonders of instant reaction football fans.

I didn't say Manning was done (Well, I did) but what I meant was that his arm was finished. Admittedly he does looks light years better than he did the first few weeks.

Also, Packer fans were saying that Rodgers doesn't need anything to slaughter everyone so I would take their opinions on their team with a grain of salt.

squicken

I don't disagree. It does disqualify using the defense as a primary reason for a QB's success when the other guy obviously benefited just as much if not more from his own defense.

(AND GOD DAMN your avatar pic. I thought you were Larry!)

I love you too FV, and I did say maybe on Ben. Just like I had been on the fence with Eli but have kind of made up my mind there

And like DK says, you can be great but also have a good D. Ben's ability to extend plays has always been so astounding, but as you look at his games played year after year it starts to get a little tough to put him in that special class

It's not conveniently forgotten. Rodgers sucked for a portion of the year. Eli has sucked all year. As I said, all he has to do is suck less.

Bucs are last in pass D, Saints are second to last. However Bucs are best in rush D and Saints are dead last in rush D. The Bucs #1 ranking against the rush is legit too. It's really tough to even get past the line of scrimmage against us. nfl.com doesnt have the rankings, but I would be very surprised if the Bucs arent ranked #1 in tackles for loss.

Guaranteed we'll run Turner up the middle 20-30 times.

hopefuly the vikebikes can pick the niners scraps up

Rachal, Carimi, & Webb almost had their second QB in a two week period murdered, legally, on national television.

In just 6 days they have a fully rested Allen, Robison, KWill, & Everson Griffen coming into town looking to pad their sack stats.
Bears have dropped two in a row and looked absolutely broken last night. Vikes are coming off an important division win, a bye week, AP looking stronger by the week, and Ponder remembering he has more than just Percy out there.

Home field advantage or not, the Bears can't be doing flips of excitement thinking about Sunday's game.
Huge game for both teams.

1 7 7 Aldon Smith DE Missouri
2 4 36 Colin Kaepernick QB Nevada
3 16 80 Chris Culliver S South Carolina
4 18 115 Kendall Hunter RB Oklahoma State

5 32 163 Daniel Kilgore G Appalachian State
6 17 182 Ronald Johnson WR USC
6 25 190 Colin Jones S TCU
7 8 211 Bruce Miller OLB UCF
7 38 239 Mike Person T Montana State
7 49 250 Curtis Holcomb

1 11 11 Anthony Davis T Rutgers
1 17 17 Mike Iupati G Idaho

2 17 49 Taylor Mays S USC
3 27 91 Navorro Bowman OLB Penn State
6 4 173 Anthony Dixon RB Mississippi State
6 13 182 Nate Byham TE Pittsburgh
7 17 224 Phillip Adams CB South Carolina State

Our last two drafts have been ridiculously good. It's truly become a strength of our team. Long time Niner fans know that wasn't always the case. Whatever became of Kentwan Balmer anyway?

Our 2012 draft has been worthless so far but I'm not sure you can blame it on the players. How is a rb or wr or safety or ol or lb going to crack our lineup? In retrospect we should've gone DT to develop

xnipx

Deacon's going to make me look smart this week. But his last comment could have been construed as Flacco support, which is a dead give away who the author is.

One day u will see the light. Hopefully u will pop a bottle of champagne when we sign him to his extension after our super bowl victory parade.

One day u will see the light. Hopefully u will pop a bottle of champagne when we sign him to his extension after our super bowl victory parade.

I'll pop a bottle of champagne when we win the Superbowl. Joe's got serious work to do from here on out to undo what he's done thus far. Although, you're only 3 wins from winning our bet.

Nakazato

Our 2012 draft has been worthless so far but I'm not sure you can blame it on the players. How is a rb or wr or safety or ol or lb going to crack our lineup? In retrospect we should've gone DT to develop
give AJ time trust me it was a great pick.
Got to remember he played for zook so he may need to refine route running.

Mrbob

I guess I should apologize and eat crow right now. I really thought the Texans were gonna regress this season and lose the division. But I was totally wrong. That team is really good and fun to watch. JJ Watt is a man and Kareem Jackson is utter garbage like he used to be. Gonna be a tough draw for anyone in the playoffs.

That being said, I have a few things to say ahead of game time: Fuck you Mech, Fuck you Matrix, fuck you Bob, fuck you Miguel, fuck you Squicken, fuck you Smokey, and fuck the two other members of Texans-age I can't remember right now.

Another Thanksgiving soured by a team far superior than Detroit is coming. You would think I would be used to it at this point, but something about Thanksgiving gives me hope. False hope, but hope none the less

Don't worry, I'll keep my boys in line after the Texans win so Texans Age isn't their normal obnoxious self.

TheLegendary said:
Eli has sucked all year.
Oh you.

squicken said:
I love you too FV, and I did say maybe on Ben. Just like I had been on the fence with Eli but have kind of made up my mind there
Fair enough. I've given up changing minds on Eli a long time ago;). He is what he is and I've always maintained that when he's "on" he's as good as there is in the game right now. He happens to turn it on just when the Giants need him most, thankfully and the team has two rings to show for it.

Mrbob

Wow, I guess Lovie kicked out the media and all non player personnel from the locker room for a bit after the game last night. Sounds like he chewed out the team. So much about him not having the "fire and passion".

Ranvier

Just to be clear, a few years from now, when no one will suspect anything I still plan on sneaking into his home and killing him in his sleep, but he is a legitimate deep threat and manages to keep himself on the field despite tons of depth at the position. Ace value for a 6th round pick.

Give me a call, I'll join you. But yeah you're right, he's been pretty good this year. Wish he was a bit faster but other than that no complaints. That move he made during the bills game for the TD was spectacular. I think redemption is a factor in his improved game.

give AJ time trust me it was a great pick.
Got to remember he played for zook so he may need to refine route running.

He's also pretty weak for his height. I think he barely tops 185. A year of lifting and practicing will do him good.

I think smith will start in NO. Kaep was awesome but I feel that arm motion will get him into trouble with safeties that aren't hibernating like the bears were. I don't want him to have a terrible game in NO and then never see him again and get pigeon holed with smith. Im a fan of a gradual transition.

methodman

Banned
Aldon Smith's 29 career sacks are the third-highest total in NFL history for a second-year player (Reggie White 31; Derrick Thomas 30). Smith still has six regular-season games left in his second season.

Holy shit, and he only played 50% of snaps last season. We could have one of the best Linebacking cores in history (Patrick Willis, Navarro Bowman, Aldon Smith and Ahmad Brooks).

Aldon Smith's 29 career sacks are the third-highest total in NFL history for a second-year player (Reggie White 31; Derrick Thomas 30). Smith still has six regular-season games left in his second season.

Holy shit.

That's not fair. Reggie White nor Derrick Thomas saw anything like the 2012 Bears.

DMczaf

He also has more DUIs than Reggie White and Derrick Thomas's 1st 2 years combined.

Top Bottom