• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 13 |OT| My Favorite Things

K-19

Banned
The biggest problem with superhero films(and comics etc.) will always be the hero's refusal to execute known perpetrators of mass violence even though there's zero chance they will ever find a way to effectively imprison them. Superheroes are basically supervillain enablers who care more about their moral codes than actually saving people.

Of course a lot of the movies try to have their cake and eat it too by having the villain die "accidentally."

not this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G_EhjdDoAA

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Welp our best nickel CB, Brice McCain, is out for 6 weeks. Titans game we were without the following CBs:

Joseph
McCain
Ball

That secondary is getting thin..Posey, WR, was the emergency CB and almost had to be used. Texans play man to man like 90% of the time too. Harris and Carmichael next guys up...

Brady gonna go HAM :l

lovely .____. Like I said the Texans need to worry about their health, not making statements when they keep f-ing losing key players.

Tom Penny

Point out to me exactly where I said that? I'm asking the question. I didn't say anyone is at fault or anything or that RGIII is any less the QB because of it. Not sure why you inferred as such.

I simply stated that more than just statistics need to be taken into account when you're comparing any of these rookies and the complexity of the offense is one of those factors.

My guess is both teams are running an offense to get the best out their players unless the OC's are donkey's like Andy Reid. Whatever they are running RGIII has done it better IMO. How you can discount turnovers by a QB when turnovers has the biggest correlation to wins and losses is crazy to me. You ever think the Indy TEAM may be winning in spite of his turnovers some how?

Tom Penny said:
Regardless of the offense your running it isn't designed to make bad throws and throw into risky coverages and hold on to the ball and fumble it more.
So if your offense is calling for a spread with 5 wide sets and you're being asked to read a defense at the line of scrimmage. Based on the defensive formation you have to understand that your receiver may change his route pattern depending on the coverage they are seeing and you have to be aware of all of those route combinations while trying to read the same thing the receiver is reading - you're saying this will not affect the performance of a young QB? As opposed to say a QB who's being asked to make one read at the line and if it's not there, dump it off?

This stuff doesn't happen in a bubble. Not all offensive coordinators handle rookies in the same way and some are asked to do more and that will unfortunately lead to the ball being in greater risk for better or worse. It depends on the offense and their role in that offense.

Tom Penny said:
How you can discount turnovers by a QB when turnovers has the biggest correlation to wins and losses is crazy to me.
Once again, point out to me where I've done this? You have this whole Luck vs RGIII thing going on when I've attempted to make the conversation broader. I'm talking about QB's in general here and you seem to think that every offensive coordinator automatically dumbs their offense down for rookies. That's not always the case. Ask Steelers fans how they feel about Bruce Arians offense for instance? The guy loves the deep ball. Very high risk but potentially high reward.

harSon

Banned
Take advantage of that. I'm sure there are perks you could sneak in by pretending to be the best QB in football.

People will call me out for being too tall though :)

And it'd take me a few more months to get as ripped and toned as he is...

Edit: Sheit, we even share the same last name :|

So it's RGIII's fault they have an offense that he is running vastly more efficient than Luck? Luck has made way more poor decisions with the ball. Regardless of the offense your running it isn't designed to make bad throws and throw into risky coverages and hold on to the ball and fumble it more.

Oh so you have never heard of Bruce Arains before.

Just heard about Ryan Broyles being out for the year with a torn ACL. His career is probably over considering he tore the other one in college...

It's time for Meyhew to go. You cannot continually draft medical cases and hope for the best

Tom Penny

So if your offense is calling for a spread with 5 wide sets and you're being asked to read a defense at the line of scrimmage and based on the defensive formation understand that your receiver may change the route pattern depending on the coverage they are seeing - you're saying this will not affect the performance of a young QB? As opposed to say a QB who's being asked to make one read at the line and if it's not there, dump it off?

This stuff doesn't happen in a bubble. Not all offensive coordinators handle rookies in the same way and some are asked to do more and that will unfortunately lead to the ball being in greater risk for better or worse. It depends on the offense and their role in that offense.

Once again, point out to me where I've done this? You have this whole Luck vs RGIII thing going on when I've attempted to make the conversation broader. I'm talking about QB's in general here and you seem to think that every offensive coordinator automatically dumbs their offense down for rookies. That's not always the case. Ask Steelers fans how they feel about Bruce Arians offense for instance? The guy loves the deep ball. Very high risk but potentially high reward.

Unless you know exactly what each QB is a capable and exactly what the OC is calling then it doesn't matter. Of course and OC can affect a QB it always does. All I know is in spite of Luck's TO's Indy is winning scoring less per game than Washington despite RGIII turning over the ball far less.

According to Mike Jurecki, Cards have been having internal conversations about Horton. Hmmm There are certainly supporters of Horton taking the HC gig but I don't think he's ready for that just yet. He'll more then likely be a HC for somebody next season regardless.

I haven't seen the Avengers yet. As for Nolan's Batman's...I thought BB was overrated and for the most part, boring. That's partly because I was tired of seeing Batman's origin and I thought the villain was uninteresting. TDK I really, really enjoyed because the story was decent and it had good performances. TDKR I thought was overcooked. Bane's Sean Connery voice was too comical for it's own good and parts of the plot didn't make a whole lot of sense. I just hope they let Batman rest for awhile and that for the love of all that is holy, when they do bring him back, do not pull a Spiderman and reboot it. Please Hollywood, stop giving me origin stories told over and over again.

Tom Penny said:
Unless you know exactly what each QB is a capable and exactly what the OC is calling then it doesn't matter.
It most certainly does.:jnc

You're saying that because we don't sit in on meetings or coach these players what they are being asked to do doesn't matter? Of course it does and we have access to game tape to discern just that. It's insane to say that shouldn't be taken into account and goes against the very nature of this thread which is to watch, enjoy, and discuss and analyze football (and generally rib the shit out of each other but that's a given).

If that's the starting point for the discussion, then yeah we're just going to go in circles so we'll agree to disagree on that.

Tom Penny said:
Of course and OC can affect a QB it always does.
Yay, concensus! :D

Spectral Glider said:
when they do bring him back, do not pull a Spiderman and reboot it.
At least the reboot was better than Raimi's terrible first Spider-Man film! Robo-Goblin will forever be an atrocity.

Tom Penny

It most certainly does.:jnc

You're saying that because we don't sit on meetings or coach these players what they are being asked to do doesn't matter? No, just no. That's insanity and goes against the very nature of this thread which is to watch, enjoy, and discuss and analyze football (and generally rib the shit out of each other but that's a given).

If that's the starting point for the discussion, then yeah we're just going to go in circles so we'll agree to disagree on that.

Yay, concensus! :D

So how is Luck playing better than RGIII this year?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I haven't seen the Avengers yet. As for Nolan's Batman's...I thought BB was overrated and for the most part, boring. That's partly because I was tired of seeing Batman's origin and I thought the villain was uninteresting. TDK I really, really enjoyed because the story was decent and it had good performances. TDKR I thought was overcooked. Bane's Sean Connery voice was too comical for it's own good and parts of the plot didn't make a whole lot of sense. I just hope they let Batman rest for awhile and that for the love of all that is holy, when they do bring him back, do not pull a Spiderman and reboot it. Please Hollywood, stop giving me origin stories told over and over again.

I think the new Batman is just going to show up in the Justice League movie first in 2015 and then spin off from that.

TheFatOne

Looks like Chandler Jones is going to play this Sunday. Some good news for the Pats. I don't expect Mankins to play. I doubt he plays until the last game or two of the regular season.

Tom Penny said:
So how is Luck playing better than RGIII?
Ugh. This is just tedious now. For the last time, I'm not saying that he is! There's no question that RGIII has had the better rookie season thus far in their respective systems.

What I am arguing is that an evaluation of Luck as having a "poor season" based on statistics alone is disingenuous. It's even more ridiculous when you're comparing him to a guy that runs a remarkably dissimilar offense. Swap the two players and tell me how effective each would be?

Tom Penny

Ugh. This is just tedious now. For the last time, I'm not saying that he is! There's no question that RGIII has had the better rookie season thus far.

What I am arguing is that an evaluation of Luck as having a "poor season" based on statistics alone is disingenuous. It's even more ridiculous when you're comparing him to a guy that runs a remarkably dissimilar offense. Swap the two players and tell me how effective each would be?

I said he's having a good season and the team is having a great season. Find when I said he's having a poor season? People go with record argument for Luck when it is a team game. If Washington held teams to 20 or below 6 times this season what would the Skins record be?

Tom Penny

Looks like Chandler Jones is going to play this Sunday. Some good news for the Pats. I don't expect Mankins to play. I doubt he plays until the last game or two of the regular season.

I'm more concerned they have no WR with Edelman injured. They better hope their 2 TE 2 WR set is in top form.

Tom Penny said:
Find when I said he's having a poor season?
You didn't. However, the the crux of my commentary went more to the broader perception by some here of Luck having poor statistics and therefore a poor season and the view that all rookie QB's can be compared equally in a bubble.

Tom Penny said:
People go with record argument for Luck when it is a team game.
No question. QB's and the head coaches get far too much credit at times when things go well and far too much shit when things don't.

Though it's hard to argue against the impact a quality QB makes on a team. It's unquestionably the most important position there is and if you lack one - well...

Doorman

Luck just wins

I hope the Colts and Broncos face each other in the playoffs

Lions just lose. I think that one took greater precedence in this particular game.

Don't really have any postgame thoughts, might as well just repeat myself as always: No playoffs this year, no playoffs next year, no Super Bowl under Schwartz and his staff ever. Bring on the
inevitably-botched
2013 draft.

TheFatOne

I'm more concerned they have no WR with Edelman injured. They better hope their 2 TE 2 WR set is in top form.

Lots of talk on the radio about Pats phasing Lloyd out for whatever reason, but I think the real problem could be Brady. Doesn't have the arm he used to so the throws outside won't be as effective. I wish I had NFL game rewind to see what is going on because I can only guess.

How good is the HOU run defense? I know the pass defense has slipped some due to injury. Reading some HOU boards one key seems like running Foster. As a Pats fan I think that favors the Pats. Run defense hasn't really been the problem for the most part, and if HOU wants to go after the Pats best defensive players than that's fine by me.

Jason La Canfora
The Patriots are re-signing WR Donte Stallworth for another stint with the club. worked out for them recently
Move makes sense Pats need receivers. I wonder if Branch is still hurt.

squicken

Lots of talk on the radio about Pats phasing Lloyd out for whatever reason, but I think the real problem could be Brady. Doesn't have the arm he used to so the throws outside won't be as effective. I wish I had NFL game rewind to see what is going on because I can only guess.

How good is the HOU run defense? I know the pass defense has slipped some due to injury. Reading some HOU boards one key seems like running Foster. As a Pats fan I think that favors the Pats. Run defense hasn't really been the problem for the most part, and if HOU wants to go after the Pats best defensive players than that's fine by me.

HOU will have to throw to win. They will not give up on the run, though, and very few teams are able to consistently stay home on those bootleg passes they throw

HOU vs the run isn't so great. Very aggressive in shooting gaps and the LBs are depleted, so the safeties are asked to do work of LBs often. You would have a big advantage getting Gronk and Hernandez on those guys, but with just one idk

As far as Lloyd, he is useless inside the numbers. If Brady can't make throws outside and deep then Lloyd has no value

Tom Penny

Lloyd is soft. That's his biggest problem. He shy's away from contact and never goes over the middle. I don't think Brady trusts him all that much. He lacks toughness. You also can't just huck the ball up to him and have him beat DB's at this point. Houston as far as every game I watch has a fantastic O Line. They area always running the stretch run play that sets up play action for Schaub. That's their bread and butter.

TheFatOne

The Pats needed a big,physical receiver.

I wanted Vincent Jackson. Pats just need someone on the outside that Brady trusts.

HOU will have to throw to win. They will not give up on the run, though, and very few teams are able to consistently stay home on those bootleg passes they throw

HOU vs the run isn't so great. Very aggressive in shooting gaps and the LBs are depleted, so the safeties are asked to do work of LBs often. You would have a big advantage getting Gronk and Hernandez on those guys, but with just one idk

As far as Lloyd, he is useless inside the numbers. If Brady can't make throws outside and deep then Lloyd has no value

Yea this is what I expected going in. I expected Lloyd to be soft, and get no YAC. I don't know why the Pats didn't expect that. It seems like him being soft really bothers the Pats/Brady.
Lloyd is soft. That's his biggest problem. He shy's away from contact and never goes over the middle. I don't think Brady trusts him all that much. He lacks toughness. You also can't just huck the ball up to him and have him beat DB's at this point. Houston as far as every game I watch has a fantastic O Line. They area always running the stretch run play that sets up play action for Schaub. That's their bread and butter.
I don't want them throwing bombs to Lloyd, but it would be nice to see him more involved.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So Edelman's on crutches now... what the hell is the deal with this guy? He always gets stuff gonig, then somehow finds a way to injure himself. Hopefully they can keep it together and they can get healthy in the next few weeks.

Tom Penny

I don't want them throwing bombs to Lloyd, but it would be nice to see him more involved.

When all you do is catch back shoulder out patterns I'm not sure how to get him more involved. In reality it doesn't really matter although the next 2 games will likely determine if have any chance at the bye. They need to get healthy. It's not like some mystery that the passing game revolves around Gronk, Hernandez and Welker when healthy. I'm just hoping in the playoff they are more balanced overall instead of empty set shotgun happy.

Godslay

Banned
We'll trade you Jerome Simpson for Babin.

hennelol2.gif

Giants inactives for tonight: Travis Beckum, Jacquain Williams, Ryan Torain, Adewale Ojomo, Adrian Robinson, Dominik Hixon and Marvin Austin.

Looks like Randle has secured that #3 WR spot with Hixon inactive. He had an ankle injury but was questionable for the game and could have played. Good.

Kregg Lumpkin is the #3 RB tonight behind Ahmad and Wilson ( though he's there mainly to play specials)

MechDX

Its what we do. You run, run, run and run some more. Even if it dont get you huge chucks of yards this has a tendancy to happen:

schaubplayaction.gif

Schaub is really damn good at getting defenses to bite on the play action. If your LBers and DB's are not well disciplined you may be in for a long day.

Top Bottom