• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 13 |OT| My Favorite Things

Fox318

I hope we lose out and miss the playoffs. I am disgusted with our team. You let trash like the rams push you around twice in a year.... Ridiculous!

image.php

K-19

Banned
Batman movies were much more enjoyable than The Avengers, which in its own right was pretty good. Just a dumb, enjoyable, action movie.

The Batman movies are the most pretentious and senseless "trilogy" I've never seen. I used to think it was cool, then I see that was an intellectual rip off. When I watch Begins I see a average movie; when I watch TDK I see that the joker is the only thing that makes sense; and when I watch TDKR I see the biggest deception of the entire universe.

Man, so much waste on these movies. So much averageness, so much shit ...

Smokey

Welp our best nickel CB, Brice McCain, is out for 6 weeks. Titans game we were without the following CBs:

Joseph
McCain
Ball

That secondary is getting thin..Posey, WR, was the emergency CB and almost had to be used. Texans play man to man like 90% of the time too. Harris and Carmichael next guys up...

Brady gonna go HAM :l

bionic77

The Batman movies are the most pretentious and senseless "trilogy" I've never seen. I used to think it was cool, then I see that was an intellectual rip off. When I watch Begins I see a average movie; when I watch TDK I see that the joker is the only thing that makes sense; and when I watch TDKR I see the biggest deception of the entire universe.

Man, so much waste on these movies. So much averageness, so much shit ...
Weird, the fact that Nolan tries to ground the movies in reality makes them so much more enjoyable to me.

I am sure if you examine any movie with the same scrutiny GAF nerds give to Batman (OMG they fucked up the placement of the vehicles in that editing!) then they will fall apart.

But to each his own.

Also, :lol @ FMT. Harbs is douchebag (both of them) and I am enjoying his downfall.

bionic77

Avengers was awesome!

Went in expecting more Iron Man level awesome and it delivered.
The Iron Man, the Hulk, and Thor were enjoyable. I liked the nerdy agent and Sam Jackson's character as well.

Arrow dude, latex girl and captain america were all super lame though.

Branduil

I like the part where we have magical flying aircraft carrier technology but we still have jets which require the full length of an aircraft carrier to take off for some reason.

Frenchie said:
You seriously must get your priorities in order.;)

Also, it's funny you mention the Joker as being the only thing that "makes sense" in TDK considering you could make an argument that the Joker's omniscience throughout that film is its most unbelievable aspect. I don't have a problem with it but the argument can be made.

I don't know. I don't see anything pretentious about grounding the character in a more reality based world and not viewing it as a living cartoon. It misses the flashiness of the Burton Batman films,sure but then it also has a level of seriousness I appreciate and WANT for the character. The Burton films are two steps away from being the Batman 60's TV Show with better art direction.

Branduil said:
I like the part where we have magical flying aircraft carrier technology but we still have jets which require the full length of an aircraft carrier to take off for some reason.
This is the most amusing criticism of the movie though. I'm willing to accept big green men, a dude in an iron suit and magical norseman from another planet but FUCK THIS AIRCRAFT CARRIER NOT CONFORMING TO REAL WORLD TECHNOLOGY! ;)

Also, the Helicarrier has been a staple of the comics for a long time.

Branduil

Also, it's funny you mention the Joker as being the only thing that "makes sense" in TDK considering you could make an argument that the Joker's omniscience throughout that film is most unbelievable aspect of it. I don't have a problem with it but the argument can be made.

I don't know. I don't see anything pretentious about grounding the character in a more reality based world. It misses the flashiness of the Burton Batman films but then it also has a level of seriousness I appreciate. The Burton films are two steps away from being the Batman 60's TV Show with better art direction.

And the universes converge with the Schumacher films.

manfestival

I'd rather lose out and get a better draft pick. Minus the injuries the Bucs have a lot of talent that was squandered under Morris, but we still have some spots that sorely need to be addressed with draft picks. CB first and foremost. At least 2 good corners cause right now Eric Wright is our best corner and on his best days he is only average. We also need a safety with range to play opposite of Barron and some upgrades on the line and at LB.

There is a lot of talent on the Bucs, but not enough to really do anything in the playoffs. It would just be a waste of draft position to get in because our secondary would make it impossible to really do anything once we got in.

I agree with you for the most part. I think that their move with aqib talib was a good move as it gives us more pull even if its a 4th round pick we got for talib. I think the secondary obviously needs the most work but the line is fairly solid if we get over injuries. I do feel that we wont be able to take the heat from the greater QBs out there if we did squeak into the playoffs which was proven this past sunday

Better yet after last year's work I feel comfortable with their ability to make good choices from any position in the draft.
As do I

jakncoke

Banned
Guyz

I feel like the buffalo bills.

No you feel like the Cardinals, lets not pretend the Cardinals are a good franchise here. They are like 200 games under .500!

207! my god you guys suck, you could not lose a game for like 14 years just to get to .500 as a franchise!!!

Tom Penny

I don't deny that Luck is having a great season, but um, what's so impressive about 17 TDs vs 16 INTs?

Also leads the league in dropped INT's and is like 30th in QB rating and completion percentage. He's good but I can't imagine if they swapped RGIII numbers with his what people would be saying about RGIII and the even higher pedestal they would place Luck on.

I don't deny that Luck is having a great season, but um, what's so impressive about 17 TDs vs 16 INTs?

I think a case can be made that the Colts have the one of the worst rosters in the NFL, they have Arains at coach, and yet they are winning games in large part thanks to Luck. I would think most young QBs would have gotten discouraged at the way the Lions game was going but he didnt seem to at all. He has a mental toughness about him that you would expect from a more experienced QB.

Branduil

The Cardinals need to change their name. It's not like they're some storied franchise with amazing traditions. How many Cardinals are there even in Arizona?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
This is the most amusing criticism of the movie though. I'm willing to accept big green men, a dude in an iron suit and magical norseman from another planet but FUCK THIS AIRCRAFT CARRIER NOT CONFORMING TO REAL WORLD TECHNOLOGY! ;)

Also, the Helicarrier has been a staple of the comics for a long time.
Hey, you can make up whatever bullshit you want, but you have to be consistent about it. If Iron Man suddenly went Super Saiyan out of his suit and beam blasted everyone that'd be the dumbest shit ever.

By the way, we're also ignoring how a machine with four massive propellers could EVER be stealth.

Weird, the fact that Nolan tries to ground the movies in reality makes them so much more enjoyable to me.

I am sure if you examine any movie with the same scrutiny GAF nerds give to Batman (OMG they fucked up the placement of the vehicles in that editing!) then they will fall apart.

But to each his own.

Also, :lol @ FMT. Harbs is douchebag (both of them) and I am enjoying his downfall.

Agree, Iron Man and Avengers are good super hero movies. The Batman Trilogy transcends that for me. Just as you said, the movies are grounded and more realistic which I think appeals more to the average movie goer while it probably infuriates some of the comic nerds. Fuck feeling like a cheesy comic, this trilogy is an excellent crime drama more in the vein of Heat that is set in Batman's world. There is high caliber acting all around (except for female leads although I enjoyed Halloway), high production, cinematography, etc. Just great films to watch, not merely good super hero films.

Narag

Also leads the league in dropped INT's and is like 30th in QB rating and completion percentage. He's good but I can't imagine if they swapped RGIII numbers with his what people would be saying about RGIII and the even higher pedestal they would place Luck on.

How many dropped INTs does he have?

harSon

Banned
Man, now people are saying I look like Russell Wilson...

Apparently I look like every light skinned black dude who gets famous. First it was Drake, then it was Jordan Peele and now it's Russell Wilson.

Luck has won 8 games with a team that won 2 last year, RGIII is also doing better than his team did last year, but still.

Both of them are having fascinating years. I'm just waiting for somebody to say that Luck is being favored over RGIII because he's white.

cdyhybrid

Man, now people are saying I look like Russell Wilson...

Apparently I look like every light skinned black dude who gets famous. First it was Drake, then it was Jordan Peele and now it's Russell Wilson.

Take advantage of that. I'm sure there are perks you could sneak in by pretending to be the best QB in football.

Hitokage said:
Hey, you can make up whatever bullshit you want, but you have to be consistent about it.
Not to be flippant but I'm not a naval carrier expert nor do I design stealth drives in my spare time so therefore any such inconsistencies don't fuck with my perception of the technology in the film. It's fantasy and I accept it as such. In fact, its downright inconsequential to me in a film about a group of Super Heroes fighting an alien invasion force that consists of city wide flying worms.

Not to dismiss your concerns as I see it apparently took you out of the film but it's just an interesting criticism to make about a movie that features so many ridiculous and out of this world elements to begin with. Especially when the carrier in question has been a staple of the comics for quite some time (flying jets, stealth and all).

K-19

Banned

But to each his own.

I think exactly the opposite. Nolan tried to rationalize so much a fantastic universe and at the end it looks so weird. I mean, ok, I understand that you want to put Batman in the reality (that's fucking weird when you think about it, Batman, BAT MAN?!?!) but when you do it make in sort that the movie still coherent. Nolan give the impression to be a extraordinary director with a great vision and great ideas. But when you look so many time his films and you ask yourself the good question, there are not only the wrong "placement of vehicles in that editing" but more than the half of the scenes that are unrealistic and not coherent. In fact, he get the opposite effect he wanted to give. That's so fucked up.

And I don't talk about the ideas that the movies bring cause there are not ideas, or at least a very facist and simplified vision of Batman and of the people of Gotham. The thing that bothered me the most in TDKR is the final fight which opposed the cops to the Bane's dudes. Where is the fucking population of Gotham??? What don't they stand to fight for their city and for the ideal that Batman was supposed to bring to them? I mean you see the Bat signal, you make something. People get outside of their house at the end of the movie when the threat is away, then Gordon is talking shit about how good they are. I mean, really?

Man, I can write a whole book about what's wrong with this shit. You know, when you waited it like the Messiah for 4 years you have the right to feel pain in your arse.

Also, it's funny you mention the Joker as being the only thing that "makes sense" in TDK considering you could make an argument that the Joker's omniscience throughout that film is its most unbelievable aspect. I don't have a problem with it but the argument can be made.

In his function, as the incarnation of the Evil he is coherent. Then the details are fucked up, like I said, Nolan try to rationalize a fantastic universe.

Tom Penny

Luck has won 8 games with a team that won 2 last year, RGIII is also doing better than his team did last year, but still.

Both of them are having fascinating years. I'm just waiting for somebody to say that Luck is being favored over RGIII because he's white.

It's a team game unless you think switching from Trent Green to Chad Pennington is why Miami went from 1-15 to 11-5. Lucks team is having a great year and Luck is having a good year. He hasn't played as good as RGIII though. Russell Wilson just gets kicked to the curb in rookie QB conversations for some reason.

It is a shame we could not get a single TD off 4 turnovers to beat the Jets. Fuck Linley. FUCK him.
Every other person on the planet including myself, would have made that wide open TD throw to Fitz. I cannot even begin to fathom how he fucked that up. The only reason I'm not beside myself in anger is that I wanted us to lose and for us to lose out. There is NOTHING to gain from winning a single game. Last year, we had an outside shot at making the playoffs and I wanted to see our D continue to grow and see a sign for optimism for this season. This time around, we aren't even playing most of the guys that will be starting next season so what's the point?

All I care about seeing now is a few of the young guys continue to develop, most notably Massie. He looks like he gets it now and if he can hold up against the big test he's about to get versus CHI and SF D (already shitted on SEA D week 1 :D) we can feel pretty good about having that position set going forth. I want to see Floyd continue to expand his role as I expect him to play a far larger one next year. Housler has made huge strides with Heap out and can be a great weapon next season. Potter I'd throw in here too but you know Whiz will just plug in Brown. Best hope Whiz and co are on the way out!
The Cardinals need to change their name. It's not like they're some storied franchise with amazing traditions. How many Cardinals are there even in Arizona?

It always annoys me when a team keeps it's name after changing states. They should have renamed the team when it hit AZ (Cards make sense for both CHI and STL) but it's not going to happen now. NBA as you know is chock full of stupid shit like Utah Jazz and Los Angeles Lakers...why didn't they change it?

Tom Penny said:
Lucks team is having a great year and Luck is having a good year. He hasn't played as good as RGIII though.
What types of offenses are they running and what is each being asked to do within that offense? You can include Wilson, Weeden and Tannehill in that question as well.

I think it's unfair to put statistics on the table as a black and white comparison (oh shit why did I say black and white!) of any of those QB's without understanding the underlying offenses they are being asked to run and the complexity of that offense.

No you feel like the Cardinals, lets not pretend the Cardinals are a good franchise here. They are like 200 games under .500!

207! my god you guys suck, you could not lose a game for like 14 years just to get to .500 as a franchise!!!

That would make us the oldest team in the league. Rightfully so.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Not to be flippant but I'm not a naval carrier expert nor do I design stealth drives in my spare time so therefore any such inconsistencies don't fuck with my perception of the technology in the film. It's fantasy and I accept it as such. In fact, its downright inconsequential to me in a film about a group of Super Heroes fighting an alien invasion force that consists of city wide flying worms.

Not to dismiss your concerns as I see it apparently took you out of the film but it's just an interesting criticism to make about a movie that features so many ridiculous and out of this world elements to begin with. Especially when the carrier in question has been a staple of the comics for quite some time (flying jets, stealth and all).
Oh, don't misunderstand me. The carrier didn't pull me out by itself. Half the time I was wondering why Thor didn't just drop his hammer on people.

Tom Penny

What types of offenses are they running and what is each being asked to do within that offense?

So it's RGIII's fault they have an offense that he is running vastly more efficient than Luck? Luck has made way more poor decisions with the ball. Regardless of the offense your running it isn't designed to make bad throws and throw into risky coverages and hold on to the ball and fumble it more.

beast786

Develop(ing). Based on his press conference that just ended. Young has been sent home and will not be "in the mix."

I joked with a buddy on Sunday about Broyles tearing his other acl on Sunday..... Son of a bitch

The Broyles thing is further proof this entire franchise is cursed. Ford needs to sell the team for anything to change.

Only if it's sold to the Illitch family.

Who stole your password? Corran?

My God My God why have you forsaken me

Tom Penny said:
So it's RGIII's fault they have an offense that he is running vastly more efficient than Luck?
Point out to me exactly where I said that? I'm asking the question. I didn't say anyone is at fault or anything or that RGIII is any less the QB because of it. Not sure why you inferred as such.

I simply stated that more than just statistics need to be taken into account when you're comparing any of these rookies and the complexity of the offense is one of those factors.

Branduil

The biggest problem with superhero films(and comics etc.) will always be the hero's refusal to execute known perpetrators of mass violence even though there's zero chance they will ever find a way to effectively imprison them. Superheroes are basically supervillain enablers who care more about their moral codes than actually saving people.

Of course a lot of the movies try to have their cake and eat it too by having the villain die "accidentally."

Top Bottom