• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 14 |OT| Christmas Time is Here

squicken

Costas backpedals/clarifies/spins

NBC's Bob Costas, communicating through a spokesman Monday about on-air comments about guns he made Sunday night, "feels an unfortunate leap was taken that he was advocating taking away Second Amendment rights. He was not."

--
Monday, NBC spokesman Hughes added that Costas is "in favor of people owning guns to hunt and carrying them in reasonably controlled circumstances."

Braylon taking shots with unfortunate spelling error

i97eS7TpjnoZG.jpg

eznark

Banned
I have no doubt that Sanchez will probe it if given the opportunity.

Merrill Hoge still has a job? Awesome.

ari

Banned
If the 49'ers score at least 15 points I'd say a win is all but guaranteed. Tannehill and the Dolphins offense will most likely struggle mightily against that D.
I would not be surprise if the dolphins win. Their run d is top tier and they always go toe to toe with good teams.

Also: exactly what i am talking about with this gun debate. Such bullshit.

I would not be surprise if the dolphins win. Their run d is top tier and they always go toe to toe with good teams.
They can play with anyone when they don't turn the ball over but you can say that for most NFL teams, I suppose. I wouldn't be surprised to see a close game and I think the Dolphins could pull of the upset, but my expectations are very low.

That 37-3 loss to the Titans is constantly hanging over my head whenever I want to say anything positive about this team.

Mrbob

Cutler should go down with at least one concussion a season. It seems to knock some sense into him. He has played great and almost mistake free since coming back. If Lovie wasn't so damn conservative the Bears would have blown out the Seahawks before letting them make that comeback. Run less and let Cutler throw more.

ari

Banned
That 37-3 loss to the Titans is constantly hanging over my head whenever I want to say anything positive about this team.
The niners losing to the rams pretty much twice should too, same for the pats against the cardinals. Matchups is key to winning, not stats and scores from other opponents

eznark

Banned
Me either, but he is apologizing specifically because he feels he has offended those people. Jumping to claiming he backed down due to pressure from the NRA isn't really based on any factual evidence.

Also, the NRA has 4.3 million members. The ACLU has 400,000. It's not small.

GJ Talon. But you forgot something.

untitled-18xzr84.gif

Every page, always, for all time.

Me either, but he is apologizing specifically because he feels he has offended those people. Jumping to claiming he backed down due to pressure from the NRA isn't really based on any factual evidence.

Every page, always, for all time.

You are totally right there. I just assume when ever gun stuff comes up the NRA is involved somehow.

Edit: I really didnt mean to derail back into all this again. I was just surprised he would back down after what seemed like a very passionate speech. Anyway boy the Eagles sure suck this year.

Just thinking randomly, if the Dolphins could finish games as well as the Colts they would both be big surprises at this point in the season. The Colts are 7-1 in games decided by 7 or less, the Dolphins are 3-5. That really is what it's all about for mid-tier teams in this league, finishing close games on top.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Lions wide receiver depth chart is awesome.

Megatron
Burleson - broken leg
Young jr. - a severe case of immaturity
Broyles - tore his good acl
Thomas - was supposed to be a returner
Osgood - special teams
Robiskie - no idea

I wonder if Tim Toone is still around. What's Roy Williams up to these days?

I'm impressed by Megatron. Somehow he managed to push the Madden curse on to everyone else on his team but him. Well done.

Also swallowing sadness as I don't believe Canada has the Travel Network so I'm going to miss out on the Browns show tonight.

eznark

Banned
Cutler should go down with at least one concussion a season. It seems to knock some sense into him. He has played great and almost mistake free since coming back. If Lovie wasn't so damn conservative the Bears would have blown out the Seahawks before letting them make that comeback. Run less and let Cutler throw more.

Lovie finally realized that the only way to be successful with that pouty bitch is to shackle him like Xander Smith and run the damn ball. Too bad he is three years too late on that and now your defense is too old and slow to stop the option.

ari

Banned
I agree, cutler fucked up that defense, but when Bennett went down, that limited the passing game drastically. Alshon jeffrey should help out cutler next week.

vedderlax11

Neo Member
We've got a good match-up here. There is no reason our D-line won't dominate the line of scrimmage, and we should be able to get the Law Firm going. 5 in a row after this week.

Bowser

Just thinking randomly, if the Dolphins could finish games as well as the Colts they would both be big surprises at this point in the season. The Colts are 7-1 in games decided by 7 or less, the Dolphins are 3-5. That really is what it's all about for mid-tier teams in this league, finishing close games on top.

That's better than the Panthers...0-7 in games decided by 7 or less :(

Striker said:
Maybe the defense can come out inspired vs. Brees and his boys Jimmy Graham and Darren Sproles.
I don't feel good about the match-up. Been saying it for weeks. Brees doesn't have the same offensive line he's had over the past few years which is a plus and if they play the same way they have over the past two games - that's one match-up that should be favorable for us...

The alarming thing is this defenses inability to stop the run. It's maddening and you're not going to put yourself in a position where you can rush the passer (our strength) if teams are punching you in the face in the run game all game long.

We have to deal with the likes of Sproles, Ray Rice, Turner/Rogers and now this Bryce Brown character in Philly coming up. They need to get their shit together if they don't want to stay home for the playoffs. As usual we control our own destiny but last night was a chance to put this away early. You're right though - I should be used to this by now. This team never does things the easy way. Those penalties were fucking killers last night.:(

Oh and that Sean Locklear gif is indeed brutal. Feel bad for the guy. Comes in and plays well, gets benched for a guy who has no business starting, gets the job back and is likely now out for the year.

eznark

Banned
I don't feel good about the match-up. Been saying it for weeks. Brees doesn't have the same offensive line he's had over the past few years which is a plus and if they play the same way they have over the past two games - that's one match-up that should be favorable for us...

The alarming thing is this defenses inability to stop the run. It's maddening and you're not going to put yourself in a position where you can rush the passer (our strength) if teams are punching you in the face in the run game all game long.

We have to deal with the likes of Sproles, Ray Rice, Turner/Rogers and now this Bryce Brown character in Philly coming up. They need to get their shit together if they don't want to stay home for the playoffs. As usual we control our own destiny but last night was a chance to put this away early. You're right though - I should be used to this by now. This team never does things the easy way. Those penalties were fucking killers last night.:(

Oh and that Sean Locklear gif is indeed brutal. Feel bad for the guy. Comes in and plays well, gets benched for a guy who has no business starting, gets the job back and is likely now out for the year.

Dude, the Saints will have to abandon the run in the second quarter if they want to keep up.

Bowser

If only Reid had kicked that extra point it would be 1-7.

Ha yeah, all three of our wins have been by 8 (vs NO, @WAS, @PHI). We were up by two scores basically until late garbage TDs vs the Skins and Saints though, so I don't really consider those "close" games anyway. Really, we only got pasted by the Giants and Broncos, other than that every single game has been undecided into the 4th quarter.

cajunator

Banned
Why the fuck did the Saints let Nicks go? OL was such a strength for them last year.

They replaced him with Ben Grubbs, and that actually hasnt been the problem area. He has been ok. Its Bushrod and Streif. Bushrod has been shit and Payton had to use max protect to bail his ass out. Streif is just old. We lost john Stinchcomb and Streif was the backup, and then Charles Brown and Bryce Harris, neither of which are very good. but mainly blindside protection and on the right side where Brees has had pressure getting to him.
Jahri is very good but hes already paid a shit ton of money. Couldnt keep everybody with or without Brees contract. now we could have possibly kept Nicks under a tag but thats water under the bridge and only temporary solution. We need more Oline picks to work out.

Ha yeah, all three of our wins have been by 8 (vs NO, @WAS, @PHI). We were up by two scores basically until late garbage TDs vs the Skins and Saints though, so I don't really consider those "close" games anyway. Really, we only got pasted by the Giants and Broncos, other than that every single game has been undecided into the 4th quarter.

Panthers job has to be one of the best ones if Rivera really does get fired. Something as simple as a different offensive scheme could totally change that team around. A few more pieces on D and they should be able to compete for the division next year. I dont think Reid would go there since he is such good friends with Ron, but I think he could do wonders with Cam.

bionic77

I want to believe, but I'm not sure the Pats will win out.
I think you get beat by Houston and best San Fran. San Fran is a better team but they have no qb. Not sure what your other two games are.

It would be hilarious if we win out and get the division and 3 or 4 seed.

LevelNth

Banned
I'm not one to be a sore winner, but all the 49ers fans just disappeared. Faith so shallow that getting worked by Bustford sends them away?

good work Talon. Frauds everywhere indeed
I rarely post on the weekends, but there is no doubt I deserve some gloating from you.

Why the hell can't we beat your damn team?!

Bowser

RG3 on why his fumble went into the arms of Josh Morgan and turned into a TD:

God’s on our side. There are a lot more goals this team is striving for. I know we can definitely accomplish them.

lulz ok Bob

I think you get beat by Houston and best San Fran. San Fran is a better team but they have no qb. Not sure what your other two games are.

Heh, I actually think it's the other way around.

eznark said:
Dude, the Saints will have to abandon the run in the second quarter if they want to keep up.
That's the hope. We should be able to walk up and down the field on that defense. Not just passing either as they have no ability to tackle in the run game which should be favorable for us.

By the way, saw this report over at BBI and thought it might be of interest to those here. It's a recent study on CTE. Right on the heels of the recent Belcher suicide but then we don't know if Belcher actually suffered from CTE or any degenerative disease and won't unless his brain is denoted for study:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/cte-de...4-pro-football/story?id=17869457#.UL4OdiDyBI5

Researchers at Boston University's Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy published the largest case series study of CTE to date, according to Boston Medical Center. Of the 85 brains donated by the families of deceased veterans and athletes with histories of repeated head trauma, they found CTE in 68 of them. Of those, 34 were professional football players, nine others played college football and six played only high school football.

Of the 35 professional football players' brains donated, only one had no evidence of the disease, according to the study.

However, the Boston University researchers have not yet determined how much brain trauma results in CTE.

"While it remains unknown what level of exposure to brain trauma is required to trigger CTE, there is no available evidence that occasional, isolated or well-managed concussions give rise to CTE," one of the study's co-authors, Dr. Robert Cantu, said in a press release.

TheFatOne

Dolphins, and Jaguars after SF and HOU. If they can beat SF and HOU they have a real shot, but I don't think they will beat both.

eznark

Banned
That's the hope. We should be able to walk up and down the field on that defense. Not just passing either as they have no ability to tackle in the run game which should be favorable for us.

By the way, saw this report over at BBI and thought it might be of interest to those here. It's a recent study on CTE. Right on the heels of the recent Belcher suicide but then we don't know if Belcher actually suffered from CTE or any degenerative disease and won't unless his brain is denoted for study:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/cte-de...4-pro-football/story?id=17869457#.UL4OdiDyBI5

So fucking crass and shameless to try and tie that in any way to Belcher.

Dolphins, and Jaguars after SF and HOU. If they can beat SF and HOU they have a real shot, but I don't think they will beat both.

Do you think we'll see Slater play some snaps on offense? Since its just Lloyd, Welker, and Stallworth, would think they'll keep leaning heavily on 2WR 2TE sets

Braylon taking shots with unfortunate spelling error

I honestly wish we had kept Edwards because he had the most chemistry with Sanchez. I would've taken him over Holmes.

All in the past though, its time for Gregatron

Wow... that is so rough, man. I know how that feels though, it was a very similar story in '07 when the Dolphins went 1-15.

Lol then you won the division next year. It was the only year I rooted for the Dolphins in the playoffs cause they had Pennington.

Mike T and Sparano prefer Sanchez, Woody prefers McElroy. No one gives a shit about Tebow:

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/je...reg-mcelroy-but-mike-tannenbaum-tony-sparano-

Rex Ryan hasn’t revealed his starting quarterback for this week's game against the Jaguars, but the Daily News has learned that owner Woody Johnson prefers Greg McElroy to start this week. General manager Mike Tannenbaum and offensive coordinator Tony Sparano prefer Mark Sanchez, who was benched for the first time in his career last week and watched as McElroy rallied the Jets to a win over the Cardinals.

Ryan met with various members of the organization on Monday in order to make an informed decision, according to sources. However, he hadn’t definitively decided on his signal caller by the end of the day.

Tim Tebow, who is dealing with two cracked ribs, doesn’t appear to be in the mix to start in Jacksonville.

exnark said:
So fucking crass and shameless to try and tie that in any way to Belcher.
Yeah, I was going to mention the timing of the story on ABC is "questionable" to say the least. We know absolutely nothing about Belcher and considering he doesn't have any real concussion history, CTE is a pipe dream until his brain is studied (*IF* it's even allowed to be studied).

Lol then you won the division next year. It was the only year I rooted for the Dolphins in the playoffs cause they had Pennington.
I know, that turnaround was crazy. Talk about fools gold, though. Sparano is the reason why I will never be excited about a coach until he proves himself for at least 2 or 3 seasons.

Not that there was any doubt but Dave Spadarro on Eagles Live confirmed that with Washburn being out the Eagles will no longer run the wide-9. Bowle is infavor of running a more aggressive blitzing defense. It will be interesting to see if the D can look any better, they definitely cant look any worse.

ari

Banned
Pats will beat the Texans easily, might beat the niners also. Billicheat is a master at mimicking defenses, so i am guessing that rams tape will come in handy.

Woody is so delusional he thinks the fans were going apeshit for McElroy and not because Sanchez finally got benched.

To be fair, I think that article is a load of crap to begin with. There have been some fans (including myself) who have been advocating for McElroy's start since last season and I think he should be the one to finish out the season and make Sanchez earn it back (if he hasn't been shipped out to Arizona) in training camp.

Top Bottom