• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 14 |OT| Christmas Time is Here

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Friend reminded me of this since we just hit game 13:

browns.png

Bag of dicks being sent their way.

eznark

Banned
Wait...what? So a guy covering a punt can just walk the ball down to the one yard line? Why would it matter that he walked into the end zone?

Miami Dolphins football ladies and gentlemen!

Wait...what? So a guy covering a punt can just walk the ball down to the one yard line? Why would it matter that he walked into the end zone?
Yeah I was unsure on the rule but I thought it was down once it was touched (or at least possessed). Apparently not?

eznark

Banned
What the fuck? He touches the ball at the 3 and because he walks into the endzone it's a touchback??? What kind of stupid rule is that?!!

Serious. That makes no sense. So from now on will guys just recover punts and walk to the inch line and the offense gets the ball there??

He has to stand still? I was never aware of this rule.

Thanks, guy!
ummmm, this rule is standard. You're still controlling the ball.

I mean unless what you're describing is different from what I'm thinking. Did he down it but while downing it his momentum carried him into the end zone?

The rule makes no fucking sense. Not too mention that the ref called him down on the one, then he flipped the ball at the ref, then the ref calls touchback.

brentech

Got my home project finished around the end of the 1 o'clock games.

Moved a cable outlet, installed a power bridge and TV mount. yeehaw

8259376594_48bb7282c9.jpg

Need our new TV and sectional couch to arrive so everything can be put into that new entertainment stand. It's famished.

BigAT

Serious. That makes no sense. So from now on will guys just recover punts and walk to the inch line and the offense gets the ball there??

Didn't see the play since I have the Giants on, but the rule is the ball is placed where it is first touched OR wherever it ends up, whichever is better for the receiving team. Walking it down to the one is legal, but wouldn't matter because they would place it wherever it was first touched instead.

That's why if the other team touches the ball, the punt returner should pick it up and try to run. Even if the ball is FUMBLED, the ball can be spotted where it was touched.

eznark

Banned
ummmm, this rule is standard. You're still controlling the ball.

I mean unless what you're describing is different from what I'm thinking. Did he down it but while downing it his momentum carried him into the end zone?

He took possession if the ball at the three yard line then just walked forward preening. If that's how the rule is, then the punt team should always just walk the ball to the one no matter where they recover it and that's where it should be spotted.

JCizzle

He took possession if the ball at the three yard line then just walked forward preening. If that's how the rule is, then the punt team should always just walk the ball to the one no matter where they recover it and that's where it should be spotted.

No, the benefit goes to the receiving team in your situation.

Pimpwerx

The rule isn't that you need to stand still, just stay the fuck out of the endzone. The ball is downed at the point of first contact by the kicking team, but if you waltz your fat ass into the endzone afterwards, it will count as a touchback. This has been the rule forever. That was some amateur hour bullshit, and Fields deserved to yell at that guy. Punter or not, that was a mistake you don't even make in high school. PEACE.

BigAT

You guys seriously don't know the punting placement rules? I guess there aren't many fantasy points awarded for that...

Kiryu

Thursday
Broncos at Raiders LOLRAIDERS (Gruden, pls come to Raiders)

Sunday
Chiefs at Browns Browns is the king of loser teams
Rams at Bills Rams gonna ram
Eagles at Buccaneers Bucc will win with the talent that Eagle do not have
Falcons at Panthers I want Cam Newton to say "Get fuck my field Matt Ryan!!!"
Bears at Vikings Adrain Peterson can't do it all by himself for Viking
Ravens at Redskins RG3 will burn Raven Def
Cowboys at Bengals Dallas Cowboy and Tony Romo want to get in playoff
Chargers at Steelers Steelers ain't losing to Chargers if Steeler are down for 4 and 29.
Titans at Colts Luck just got lucky
Jets at Jaguars J-E-T-S!
Dolphins at 49ers Upset game of the week.
Cardinals at Seahawks Revenge game
Saints at Giants NY Gaints gonna win 4 games
Lions at Packers Lions have no WR

Monday
Texans at Patriots Patriots will destroy balanced team
SO GLAD I PICKED PANTHERS

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
No one is saying it was called wrong. We're saying its a dumb rule. Ball should be spotted where the covering team takes possession, not where they walk it to. The rule adds unneeded complexity to a simple play.

Yeah for sure its a stupid rule but its been around forever. Every player on a NFL punt team should know the rule though. No idea what the fuck that dude was thinking.

eznark

Banned
You guys seriously don't know the punting placement rules? I guess there aren't many fantasy points awarded for that...

I always thought it was possession personally. Guess I've never seen someone just walk forward upon recovery!

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

You get the ball at the point the ball was touched, not where it stops. If the ball subsequently goes in the end zone, it's a touch back. It's always been this way.

Top Bottom