• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 14 |OT| Christmas Time is Here

Pimpwerx

No one is saying it was called wrong. We're saying its a dumb rule. Ball should be spotted where the covering team takes possession, not where they walk it to. The rule adds unneeded complexity to a simple play.

No it doesn't. Why do you think guys tightrope the endzone line when trying to down someone near the goal line? If what you say is true, they could just dive, tap the ball at the 1yd line to "down" it, then slide into the endzone with the ball, and it would still count as down. That's never been the rule. Not as long as I've been following the game. The reason is you have to control the ball in the field of play, and have no part of your body cross that goal line. This is an old rule, and makes complete sense. PEACE.

BigAT

I always thought it was possession personally. Guess I've never seen someone just walk forward upon recovery!

You've never seen the other team bat the ball toward the end zone? They always move it back to where the ball was initially touched. It's essentially the same thing.

JCizzle

You've never seen the other team bat the ball toward the end zone? They always move it back to where the ball was initially touched. It's essentially the same thing.

Yeah this. You can't bat the ball down the field as a covering team lol

Edgeward

Nice to see James already making an impact. Still not sure why he wasn't suited up last week. Better to have speed than Jacobs fat ass.

untouched for the sack WTF?!

WedgeX

Banned
Serious. That makes no sense. So from now on will guys just recover punts and walk to the inch line and the offense gets the ball there??

The heck?

That same type of play got the Lions a touchdown (safety?) last year, against Green Bay I believe!

ivIrj0ykQ1c46.jpg

eznark

Banned

Yeah but if the ball is batted from the goal line (guy diving) its where the ball is downed in the field of play or those would all be one inch yard spots.

I guess I never realized the "whatever is best for the return team" part of the rule.

Drakeon

That sack was huge :( And since we'd wasted two timeouts earlier, ugh.

Not sure what the fuck Davis was thinking not touching Wake.

Troy laughably says "Prince needs to make more plays".

He's the best corner we have dumbshit. I'll take QB's having a 65 QB rating against him than an extra pick here or there.

Pimpwerx

The punt placement rule is also why once a kicking player touches the ball first, a punt returner can grab it and fumble it away, and still keep possession. IOW, once someone from the kicking team touches the ball, someone from the return team can come and scoop it up and run, and even if they fumble and lose it, the ball will be spotted at the point where the kicking team first touched the ball. It's a free play, essentially. If they don't fumble it, the ball is placed at the furthest spot (either where the kicking team touched it, or where the returning team got tackled).

The rules are to keep kicking teams from getting too aggressive downing the ball. So guys don't just recklessly dive all over the place to down the ball, with no input from the return team. This way, the return team can capitalize on an overly-aggressive kicking team. PEACE.

Top Bottom