• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 16 |OT| The Comeback is Bigger than the Win

h1nch

So it's looking like it's going to be Lombardi and either Saban or McDaniels. Chip Kelly is likely going to the Eagles.

Fuck everything.

I actually think that Josh McDaniels can be a really good head coach, as long as you don't give him power over personnel decisions or the draft. I assume that would not be the case if they brought in Lombardi.

I rarely had complaints about McDaniels' in-game management and preparation. Players (at least the ones he didn't clash with) commented on how well the coaching staff would gameplan for opponents. I think his offensive system is fantastic and with the right talent can be very dangerous.

The stink on him was his complete lack of leadership skills. He's an egomaniac who seemed to borrow the worst qualities of his mentor. The work culture at Dove Valley was noticeably different during his tenture. He was reportedly difficult to interact with at times, clashing with players, coaches, front office people, and the media (I swear I read a tidbit once about how he was miffed that Elway was allowed to visit and observe his practice)

Part of the blame belongs with the Broncos top brass who had no business giving him all that power in the first place. He was obviously overwhelmed with the responsibilities handed to him and it was really no surprise that it didn't work out. The Cutler fiasco was a HUGE red flag and it happened before he had even coached a single game!

That said, he's still a really smart coach. I have to think that he's learned from his experience in Denver and if given a 2nd chance, he would do a better job. To my knowledge he has never said a single negative thing about The Broncos after he was fired, or hinted that he has any hard feelings so maybe he recognizes that he messed up big time.

I enjoy Lombardi's insights on Simmons' podcast. I'd definitely root for him to succeed if he got the job.

JCizzle

You give me faith, but I'm having a hard time not bringing myself right back down...What are the odds the Packers will use their starters next week?

Why wouldn't they? They play before the Niners next week. A Niners loss tonight and they need a win to keep the seed, a Niners win and they need to win in case the Niners lose later.

Mrbob

You give me faith, but I'm having a hard time not bringing myself right back down...What are the odds the Packers will use their starters next week?
Even if San Fran wins tonight GB has a shot at the two seed. As long as the game is at noon they will play all their starters the whole game.

squicken

look at how bad things went in GB and Rodgers kept on trucking. eli and ben really fell off as the things around them went bad. rodgers is pretty damn awesome

JCizzle

look at how bad things went in GB and Rodgers kept on trucking. eli and ben really fell off as the things around them went bad. rodgers is pretty damn awesome

Well, Ben was hurt for a few games in fairness to him vs Eli. The games off plus recovery time is big. However, he's definitely no ARod.

Russel Wilson has white people hair.

2157080-cornball_lge_super.jpeg

Depends if the 49ers win or lose tonight.
Why wouldn't they? They play before the Niners next week. A Niners loss tonight and they need a win to keep the seed, a Niners win and they need to win in case the Niners lose later.
Even if San Fran wins tonight GB has a shot at the two seed. As long as the game is at noon they will play all their starters the whole game.

Thank ya, all. I had the playoff picture messed up in my head for some dumb reason...

Dragon

Banned
I now will only post in certain threads in gaming. This place is so clique driven its sad. Glad to be with you cool people though!!

So, ESPN is reporting that Tebow was so mad at being passed up by the 3rd string that he told them flat out NOT to use him in any Wildcat plays this week. I don't think I can type enough lol's. Passing up the 2nd stringer is how he got the job in Denver and that was only because Fox caved to fan wanking. At least he still believes in himself XD
Well it's not like they were going to start using him today anyway. They've barely used the wildcat all season long so why start now?

squicken

oh man i just saw the raiders highlights. that was a clean hit on palmer and they clearly were trying to take out cam. still stupid for bumping a ref but i understand his anger

So I'm home!

A few thoughts to get out of the way after the Ravens drubbing and none of which are overly reactionary in my mind. Just a level headed assessment of where this team is right now:

- An infusion of of youth in a few starting positions and a house cleaning of veterans that have no business being on the field anymore NEEDS to be in the cards starting with:

Corey Webster
Ahmad Bradshaw
Chris Snee
David Diehl
Osi Umenyoira
Michael Boley

Diehl has been long overdue, Chris Snee has finally hit the wall and its shown over the past 4-5 games. Webster, do I even need to say why? They've got a first year rookie on the other side of the field (Hosely) and the gameplan was obviously to pick on Webster all game long and it worked flawlessy! Osi is just collecting a paycheck at this point.

Unlike some here, I appreciate Ahmad's fire and his ability to pass protect but he can't stay healthy and that knee is so banged up he couldn't even do what he's usually amazing at doing (blitz pickup). David Wilson has put in his rookie dues. I expect him a starting role next year.

- I didn't read through the whole thread but I'm sure some fire Fewell comments were thrown about and to that I say: I don't care what scheme you put on the field - if the players don't tackle and the DB's don't even put a semblance of coverage on the field it's going to fail. I stopped counting missed tackles in the 2nd quarter. Scheme around that all you like.

- Hakeem Nicks, get well. I underestimated his importance to the offense months ago and I won't make that mistake again. The drop off in talent at the WR position behind Nicks and Cruz has some catching up to do but there have been flashes. The offensive coaches need to make a decision on a 3rd WR and stop playing roulette. Hixon or Randle...make up your mind. The offense has been strange all season long. Feast or famine. That needs heavy evaluation in the offseason.

- Wrapping back around to the first point, the Giants of 2012 are mentally soft, complacent and fat with those rings they picked up last year. They are content to get blown off of the field and it shows with the effort the past two weeks. This season has shades of 2009 written all over it where the team was blown off the field by the Panthers and then go on the road and get destroyed by a Favre led Vikings teams. We'll lose to the Eagles next week. No question in my mind.

As mentioned before, great atmosphere in Baltimore. A few shit talking fans but the wife quieted them down quickly for me. Most everyone was nice enough. Sucks to go and see the team blown out but don't regret the trip. Had a good time regardless.

Upside? Coughlin on the hot seat next season!

cdyhybrid

Fuck the Niners. Whole team is a bunch of clowns. Harbaugh is a douche.

Edit: Except Dashon Goldson. He's a Husky so he'll manage to ward off the stink of San Fran.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I can't believe it took Tebow this long to snap.

Jets brought him in to play him. He never played. They never used him. They played a shitty scrub garbage QB who has no business being in the NFL and is actually worse than him. And then they brought in McElroy.

Godslay

Banned
Next weeks SNF has to be DAL/WAS.

Agreed.

Jets brought him in to play him. He never played. They never used him. They played a shitty scrub garbage QB who has no business being in the NFL and is actually worse than him. And then they brought in McElroy.

If Rex can get Tebow to snap you know that locker room is a mess. What a joke.

Citing multiple team sources, ESPN New York reports Tim Tebow pulled himself out of the Jets' Wildcat package after he was passed over for Greg McElroy in the starting lineup last week.

Tebow has every right to be frustrated about the Jets' refusal to use him as a quarterback, but sabotaging one of the team's offensive packages was probably not the right way to go about it. Tebow was active for Sunday's loss to the Chargers, but did not play. Jeremy Kerley stood in as the Jets' Wildcat QB. We'd say the Jets have become a three-ring circus, but that would be generous. Woody Johnson and Mike Tannenbaum are leading the no-ring circus.
Tim Tebow is a clubhouse cancer, a horrible human being, and is an example of everything wrong with not only the Jets, but football in general.

I think a suspension w/o pay is only fair.

I was banned for a month. Just got off yesterday!
Freedom! Welcome back.

Agreed! Has Rex ever given a good, legit reason or just a bunch of bullshit why they didn't use Tebow?

squicken said:
Ain't dead yet! But the offense's decline is startling.
It's a bit surprising, yeah. Carl Banks said the team just looks "spent" on the radio broadcast and I'd agree. Hence my comment about them being complacent.

Eh, I've been here before with them. Hate to see the season collapse like this after a promising start but then coming off a Super Bowl helps to cushion the blow.

Top Bottom