• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 8 |OT| Take A Chill Pill

Sanjuro

NO ticket.

sOYDx.jpg

Mark Sanchez, Matt Cassel, Brady Quinn, and Blaine Gabbert would all like a word with you.

Gabbert can play. Never seen Quinn in action so maybe. Cassel had a good year which is more than Ponder will ever have. Sanchez is pretty horrible. I guess Ponder and Sanchez can be co-worst.

squicken

But he's already lost his job.

idk, I feel like Gabbert gets too much crap. He's not good, but he's not as awful as everyone says. What killed him was those Chris Everett passes where he wouldn't stand in the pocket and take the hit. Whereas Skeltor will stand in the pocket, or scramble and hold it too long, and let smash his organs, but can't read defenses and throws like 10 yards off target all the time

Could you see them winning 5 games?

No. I'm retroactively removing those wins. Or I'll retroactively add a "more" to my previous sentence you grammar nazi.

Reading about red zone efficiency of the Packers this year from JSonline and was pretty shocked. Pretty sure I remember in the beginning of the year many drives where we'd matriculate down the field and then stall out at the red zone. But maybe we just never made it that far in those cases. I guess the important missing stat is how many of our drives make it to the RZ.

IN THE ZONE

Aaron Rodgers' numbers in the red zone this season:

23 Passes completed out of 32 for 71.9% - No. 1 in the NFL

123.7 Quarterback rating

170 Passing yards

13 Touchdown passes (19 total)

0 Interceptions

TEAM RED-ZONE TD EFFICIENCY

1. Green Bay: 76.2 (16 of 21)

2. New Orleans: 71.4 (15 of 21)

3. Denver: 68.4 (13 of 19)

4. Atlanta: 64.0 (16 of 25)

5. Carolina: 62.5 (10 of 16)

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
No. I'm retroactively removing those wins. Or I'll retroactively add a "more" to my previous sentence you grammar nazi.

Reading about red zone efficiency of the Packers this year from JSonline and was pretty shocked. Pretty sure I remember in the beginning of the year many drives where we'd matriculate down the field and then stall out at the red zone. But maybe we just never made it that far in those cases. I guess the important missing stat is how many of our drives make it to the RZ.

I'm thinking we had a lot of three and outs.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Gabbert can play. Never seen Quinn in action so maybe. Cassel had a good year which is more than Ponder will ever have. Sanchez is pretty horrible. I guess Ponder and Sanchez can be co-worst.

Brady Quinn wasn't good enough to be the Browns starter.

BOOM ROASTED.

That's going to get tons of use in the future.:jnc

That's some Forrest Gump level stuff right there.

Not so much football related but Pey Pey is now the proud owner of 21 Papa Johns stores:

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Say cheese: Peyton Manning became the newest franchisee for Papa John's pizza, signing a deal to own 21 stores in the Denver area Friday.

squicken

Finally found PFR's play find to sort stats, and it bears out what I had noticed all year. Third and long and STL is one of the best teams in the league at converting. But third and manageable, or 3rd and short, and they are terrible. I really think this is a playcalling issue. Schotty goes almost exclusively to slants and stick/option routes on third and short, but runs his full playbook on third and long

I've got sorted links so you can see league ranks

http://www.pro-football-reference.c...min=&margin_max=&order_by=yards#tm_offense::5
http://www.pro-football-reference.c...=&margin_max=&order_by=yards#tm_offense::none

http://www.pro-football-reference.c...min=&margin_max=&order_by=yards#tm_offense::5

edit: oh I see you guys found those. he always looks goofy. it's why I keep the faith

Finally found PFR's play find to sort stats, and it bears out what I had noticed all year. Third and long and STL is one of the best teams in the league at converting. But third and manageable, or 3rd and short, and they are terrible. I really think this is a playcalling issue. Schotty goes almost exclusively to slants and stick/option routes on third and short, but runs his full playbook on third and long

I've got sorted links so you can see league ranks

Before I even clicked the links I knew the Steelers would be #1 in 3rd and long. It is incredible how many times Ben comes through in those situations.

ari

Banned
Mark Sanchez, Matt Cassel, Brady Quinn, and Blaine Gabbert would all like a word with you.
Christian ponder has no talent around him what's so ever but AP and an over used over hype receiver in Harvin.

Mark Sanchez had a spectacular defense and actual recievers to complement him in his best seasons. Without them he is trash.

Matt cassell is weird because he had an elite team with the pats and had a decent team with the 2009-2010 chiefs for his best seasons. Without them he is trash.

Brady Quinn gotten a shit team every start. Dudes not lucky.

Blaine gabbert is truly awful.

In other words, they ain't good without a supporting cast. Nobody is.

So confused the twitter tweet or whatever says 21...
My own mistake. Corrected.

Lunchbox said:
thats some eli level Goobery
pH2yg.jpg

ari said:
What I am trying to get at is out of this bunch of qbs, they ain't good without a supporting cast. Nobody is.
That's a bit of a bullshit cop out used far too often to excuse poor QB play. It certainly applies to some players that have flashed the ability to play at a high level but more often than not, a supporting cast isn't going to help a QB with poor mechanics and an inability to read an NFL defense.

Two of these guys are second year players and therefore have a bit of a built-in excuse. They are developing and in the case of Ponder it's a little disingenuous to say "He's the worst QB in the NFL". No, there are far worse than a second year player that is being brought along.

That having been said, what's excuse is there for the others, exactly? There is none, because they are garbage.

Each one of those players can barely manage a 55% completion percentage in a season and most of them have been at it for at least 4 years. In the case of Sanchez, he's never broken 57% completion in his career for a season even when had that great defense, a monster running game to lean on and those play makers on the outside. Cassel's only good year in KC was when Weis was the coordinator and even then he couldn't even hold Alex Smith's jock as a game manager. What does that say about you as a QB?

...and Quinn? :jnc Yeah, he's just unlucky. Nothing to do with the fact that he can't read a defense to save his life and is more apt to turn the ball over than complete a pass.

These guys have a ceiling and in more cases than one - they have hit that ceiling.

What I'm getting at here I suppose is that these guys would be garbage no matter how much of a supporting cast you put around them. They are what they are.

squicken

So it looks like Hernandez may, since the Patriots never divulge anything, still be coming over later. He supposedly is in the US for the birth of a child

Meier

The Vikings pass pro was hot garbage last night, receivers dropped balls and the team fumbled it multiple times. It's not like he got a lot of help. The Vikes need a real #1 receiver -- Percy is a great player (ugh), but he'd be even better if he wasn't surrounded by journeymen and a great, young TE. They could better use his change of pace ability if he weren't the focal point.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Hey guys, Respected Football Analyst™ Trent Dilfer has come to an obvious conclusion:

Weeden is a franchise QB.

F Trent Dilfer, tell him I said that. I've come to the conclusion he's our guy too however

I see you BG! I SEE YOU!

I am glad you have accepted Weeden into your heart like I have.

And even better the Colt McCoy fanboys have been pretty damn quiet since around week 3. It's really showing that Weeden is doing something right.

Top Bottom