• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 9 |OT| Gronkenstorm

Why would that stadium need upgrades?
Did a 3d tour of it on the Panthers site (like I have done out of curiosity for every stadium using that seats3d tech) and it looks like an incredibly well equipped and fully featured stadium. the clubs are enormous and well appointed, the suites look fantastic. what need is there to upgrade?

Charlotte considers paying for Panthers stadium upgrades

The Charlotte Observer said:
The Carolina Panthers are working on a plan to refurbish 16-year-old Bank of America Stadium, which will likely include tens of millions of dollars for new video boards, escalators to the upper bowl and less glamorous fixes like new HVAC systems.

I was just there a little more than a month ago, and the only one of these that really stuck out to me was the lack of escalators (It is a VERY long walk to the top of the stadium). The stadium itself isn't that old (less than twenty years old), but like that article says most stadiums in the NFL that are older than BoA have had a major renovation since 1994 or their team is planning to move to a new stadium. I think any renovations would be just to keep the technology and features in date with what some of the newer stadiums (Lucas Oil, MetLife, Cowboys) are using, but not a major overhaul.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Ive seen Reed move into the ILB spot when they do a defensive audible. Never seen him locked in that spot from the get go though.
Wasn't he doing it against the ravens? Which was another brilliant gameplan. Have flacco throw it a bunch!

cajunator

Banned

I was just there a little more than a month ago, and the only one of these that really stuck out to me was the lack of escalators (It is a VERY long walk to the top of the stadium). The stadium itself isn't that old (less than twenty years old), but like that article says most stadiums in the NFL that are older than BoA have had a major renovation since 1994 or their team is planning to move to a new stadium. I think any renovations would be just to keep the technology and features in date with what some of the newer stadiums (Lucas Oil, MetLife, Cowboys) are using, but not a major overhaul.

Yeah I suppose that makes some sense. The Superdome got a gigantic renovation and actually came out really nice for an aging stadium. Widened the concourses a gigantic amount and opened the place up. But some of the suites have a bad view of the field under a big overhang for example. There are osme other issues as well.

The Panthers stadium looks pretty badass from what I could tell. I was really impressed with it and wouldnt mind visiting it. Of course I couldnt step foot in those awesome club rooms, but it looksl ike a fun place to watch a game.

squicken

Don't have the link, but the Patriots, Texans, and Eagles all opened stadiums in ~2002 and all three cost about $350m. Not 10 years later and stadiums cost $1B+. So even new stadiums are outdated, and since stadium revenue isn't equally shared like TV revenue, it really hurts the smaller markets. I know the Pats and Texans have done some renovations wrt IT stuff.

It just favors the big markets. Dallas and NY and SF can build billion dollar stadiums and sell suites at exorbitant costs to help pay for it. But KC can't do that. CAR can't do that. But you can do that in LA, as well as in the future home of the Rams, London

jmdajr

I don't ever feel that Reliant Stadium is outdated. But sure, if they want to put a new HD screen in there, have at it.

Tamanon

Banned

I never had a problem with the walk up the stadium, and I'm usually 7 or 8 rows from the top of the stadium when we go to a game. If anything, it makes for a better atmosphere when leaving the game, IMO.

cajunator

Banned
Don't have the link, but the Patriots, Texans, and Eagles all opened stadiums in ~2002 and all three cost about $350m. Not 10 years later and stadiums cost $1B+. So even new stadiums are outdated, and since stadium revenue isn't equally shared like TV revenue, it really hurts the smaller markets. I know the Pats and Texans have done some renovations wrt IT stuff.

It just favors the big markets. Dallas and NY and SF can build billion dollar stadiums and sell suites at exorbitant costs to help pay for it. But KC can't do that. CAR can't do that. But you can do that in LA, as well as in the future home of the Rams, London

NOLA sure as hell cannot afford a new stadium.
Luckily the fans dont really give a shit and still sell it out every game.
But that cant go on for ten more years at this rate. I hope they come up with a solution.
Certainly wont ever be a billion dollar stadium. Frankly thats getting to be fucking ridiculous.

Dragon

Banned
Yeah I suppose that makes some sense. The Superdome got a gigantic renovation and actually came out really nice for an aging stadium. Widened the concourses a gigantic amount and opened the place up. But some of the suites have a bad view of the field under a big overhang for example. There are osme other issues as well.

The Panthers stadium looks pretty badass from what I could tell. I was really impressed with it and wouldnt mind visiting it. Of course I couldnt step foot in those awesome club rooms, but it looksl ike a fun place to watch a game.

Panthers stadium is pretty nice, it's just kinda rare that it's in a downtown area. I worked across the street from the stadium for three years.

Tamanon

Banned
Panthers stadium is pretty nice, it's just kinda rare that it's in a downtown area. I worked across the street from the stadium for three years.

The location's outstanding for making a day or weekend trip of it. Walking distance of a good downtown. Go drinking/clubbing the night before, then go to the Brazilian Steakhouse after the game and gorge yourself on meat.

This one?
46H5J.jpg

Tom Brady has a tattoo of Pee Wee Herman?

Dragon

Banned
The location's outstanding for making a day or weekend trip of it. Walking distance of a good downtown. Go drinking/clubbing the night before, then go to the Brazilian Steakhouse after the game and gorge yourself on meat.

Haha I know what you're talking about. My main problem with Charlotte is its lack of cultural identity. There are so many transplants that it's rare to meet people who grew up in the city. Plus the downtown area is very small. I still own my condo on 10th st there and loved living there for five years though.

Nightlife is fine there and I clumsily drunkly made out with plenty of girls at Suite but I wouldn't put it up there as one of its strengths.

harSon said:
Like turning Atlanta into Switzerland, and completely omitting Tyreese?
Daryl is a better Tyreese without the daughter baggage so meh. Though I will miss the Governor
beheading him

I've read the books and I've no interest in seeing a scene for scene recreation. The changes they've made have been generally positive thus far this season. Though I still mourn comic book Andrea.

cajunator

Banned
You know what I kind of like about this year?
The Saints arent going anywhere so we have the perfect opportunity to ruin other teams seasons. Might as well get some enjoyment out of this shit.

Quikies83

Chiefs cut Stanford Routt. Pioli signed him in the offseason for $18m

Waived but still... this franchise is a fucking dumpster fire. I wish Pioli would fall in a African Painted Dog exhibit.

Sam Mellinger ‏@mellinger
#Chiefs waived Stanford Routt to make room for Shaun Smith, Romeo references "relationship" w/ Routt not progressing. Interesting.

and also

Adam Teicher ‏@adamteicher

Crennel also makes Gary Gibbs the defensive coordinator

Can't even link posts that other people make without fear of being banned? What is going on. Didn't they just relax the reigns on the draconian rules recently?

cajunator

Banned
Too bad the Saints can't beat anybody.

Might wanna look at your own teams record. I suppose you could always jump to the giants. They are in NY too.

I know... Just when you thought the Chiefs couldn't get any worse.
Our season is from Feb to Aug.... so pathetic.

Its just that....well go look up defensive stats under Gibbs. Granted we had a bunch of walk-ons and outstanding secondary players like Josh Bullocks and Kevin "straight from the XFL" Kaesviharn but that defense was almost as bad as it is now. In 07 under Gibbs we started out 0-4 largely due to the defense and that was with a much more competent offense than the Chiefs have. that decision just makes no sense really unless there are literally no other DC options for the Chiefs.

ChanHuk

Banned
I know... Just when you thought the Chiefs couldn't get any worse.
Our season is from Feb to Aug.... so pathetic.

And Routt basically got 6 million for 7 (shitty) games.

Raiders paid him 10 million for 16 shitty games. He doesn't care, he's already said he's getting paid so he's good.

DMac has the dreaded high ankle sprain :( I don't think he'll be back with the Raiders next season. We need to seriously get rid of Knapp, because DMac doesn't even seem to try anymore. I don't blame the guy, he was averaging 20 carries of running up the middle into a wall of fatties for 1 yard. Fire Knapp, Sean Payton goes to Dallas to replace Jason Garrett. Pick up Jason Garrett as OC for the Raiders.......not gonna happen.

Milchjon

No bans yet in that thread, even though somebody even posted a dick pic or something apparently?

Man, I was waiting for meltdowns to cheer me up. I don't even care on what side of the argument.

Or was the post deleted?

Top Bottom