• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 9 |OT| Gronkenstorm

eznark

Banned
I don't understand how Kuhn has kept his spot on that roster for so long. You'd think Thompson would have about 5 other guys that would actually contribute something.

He is a special teams beast and McCarthy loves him.

Thompson fought relatively hard (supposedly) to cut him this year.

Slo said:
It just seems too far down the rabbit hole for me.
I can see that. I can understand how it might take away enjoyment for some that don't want to get into the sport at that level but it enhances it for me. I'll echo what LJ said though, I only watch it for the Giants. I have very little interest in bringing up the All-22 for other teams though I will admit to watching some stuff for the weeks opponent just to see what they do and how the Giants should deal with them defensively (armchair defensive coordinator!). I would get into it much more if I could figure out how to make gifs (which I honestly just haven't had the time to devote to) and put some commentary to it to discuss here.

Don't know if this was posted:

@AndrewSiciliano: Doctor says Chuck Pagano's leukemia is in remission

Good for him!

Alligatorjandro said:
t4jY0l.jpg
Steven Tyler looks like a wax museum version of Steven Tyler.

Draxal

Depends on the week we're taking a sample from. The last three weeks, the issues have been more blocking than the back who lines up, unfortunately. Brown has better vision than Ahmad though and is far better about following his blocks. I don't think you need All-22 to make that determination though.:)

You'd be suprised at how the normal cam looks different from all-22 at times. I don't think you can properly diagnose line play with out it.

Dragon

Banned
Insecurities about what?
PDA's are ridiculous no matter the gender or preference.
I can assure you I dont care if others are scoring and Im not. I honestly dont care about sex or relationships. Whether thats something wrong with me or not, it is what it is.

Not liking to drink or have sex definitely makes you abnormal from the rest of society, but if you're secure about it, go for it. Being asexual is just as much a valid belief as FMT's scatness.

squicken

Was listening to a podcast and when talking about the Saints and Payton, Gruden estimates there could be 10-11 openings. And the big spenders will be out for Payton. Snyder and Jones could have a bidding war on Payton, but it would be weird b/c he can't negotiate until after the SB

So there will be all these openings, but no action, b/c he is the domino that must fall first. As long as he doesn't re-sign with the Saints and ruin all the fun of course. No clue on whether Gruden gets back in, but if there is crazy salary escalation, he my have trouble staying out

Milchjon

Was listening to a podcast and when talking about the Saints and Payton, Gruden estimates there could be 10-11 openings. And the big spenders will be out for Payton. Snyder and Jones could have a bidding war on Payton, but it would be weird b/c he can't negotiate until after the SB

So there will be all these openings, but no action, b/c he is the domino that must fall first. As long as he doesn't re-sign with the Saints and ruin all the fun of course. No clue on whether Gruden gets back in, but if there is crazy salary escalation, he my have trouble staying out

Ain't cheatin, ain't tryin!

That whole ordeal worked out well for Payton. WTF.

cajunator

Banned

I know the reason why this is coming out and all, but honestly Payton has veryl ittle reason to leave the Saints.
He pretty much has it made here.
He can draft whoever he wants, hire whoever he wants, pretty much do whatever he wants. Benson doesnt care as long as they win.
I dont see that situation going on elsewhere.
Unless he leaves and takes Brees with him, in which case the Saints just go back to being like every other team without an elite QB and probably a bit worse.

Prince Andrew is coming to take is rightful place on the Cheesy Throne.

Super Bowls with Quarless at TE: 1
Super Bowls without Quarless: 0

Ol91D.jpg

The spirit of Quarless shined brightly on Desmond Howard and Max McGee and still shines brightly today!

squicken

I know the reason why this is coming out and all, but honestly Payton has veryl ittle reason to leave the Saints.
He pretty much has it made here.
He can draft whoever he wants, hire whoever he wants, pretty much do whatever he wants. Benson doesnt care as long as they win.
I dont see that situation going on elsewhere.
Unless he leaves and takes Brees with him, in which case the Saints just go back to being like every other team without an elite QB and probably a bit worse.

Why didn't Benson clear this up when the league rejected it? Why did he take so long to sign Brees? Benson didn't leak this. Payton did. Why would he do that if he 100% was staying? The Saints have missed on some picks and probably need a couple offseasons to get good again. Benson isn't a patient man and is no more loyal than any other owner. Why work for him if he doesn't have to?

If Payton intends on staying, then I'm going to need to see some evidence in his behavior

LJ11

That's a lot of firings, I think 6 will open up at least, close to a dozen is... A third of the league turning over its staff in the same year, pretty crazy.

What podcast was this on?

squicken

That's a lot of firings, I think 6 will open up at least, close to a dozen is... A third of the league turning over its staff in the same year, pretty crazy.

What podcast was this on?

Local STL podcast. Rick Venturi and Gruden are bros, and Venturi spent last week in TB with Gruden at their Fired Football Coaches Association. Went through the league and figured 10-11 could come open. Not saying they all would, but these are the candidates that I can remember

AZ
SD
KC
NO
CAR
CLE
MIN
NYJ
BUF
PHI

And that's w/o the recent stuff in WAS, DAL, and TEN

http://icestream.dev-cms.com:8000/stl/2012/11/p_Zach_and_Coach_20121105_9am.mp3

like the 10 minute mark i think. venturi is good radio. used to work with and for pretty much everyone

“Once you’re excelling so much offensively, teams are going to start scheming to try to stop what you do,” Nicks said. “We just got to look at that film and start critiquing ourselves and start doing some things differently.”

The result has been increasingly physical play from opposing corners (Cruz’s frustration), and a few different defensive looks. Nicks admitted Sunday that the Giants receivers were caught on their heels a few times, taken aback by the alignments of the Steelers secondary.

“They played a little bit of coverage different than how we anticipated,” he said.
What it comes down to. Teams are scheming to stop our passing attack with hard press coverage and forcing the receivers to win those battles. If they're expecting calls to bail them out, then they're morons.

Striker

Giants players/coaches always seem to say those things.

Some DL saying RG3 was faster than they expected. Something similar for Lesean McCoy. It's just bizarre. It's like, who cares, you were getting beaten, your gameplan sucked.

cajunator

Banned
Why didn't Benson clear this up when the league rejected it? Why did he take so long to sign Brees? Benson didn't leak this. Payton did. Why would he do that if he 100% was staying? The Saints have missed on some picks and probably need a couple offseasons to get good again. Benson isn't a patient man and is no more loyal than any other owner. Why work for him if he doesn't have to?

If Payton intends on staying, then I'm going to need to see some evidence in his behavior

Well thats why this is still speculation. We wont even know until after this season is over.
The NFL likes to fuck the Saints over and never liked them to begin with so Im really not surprised at anything that happens at this point. Its the team I chose and thats how they have always been. We arent one the chosen few teams in the NFL that get repeated glory.
Im pretty sure us winning the SB44 was some grand mistake and the NFL will make damned sure it never happens again.

What it comes down to. Teams are scheming to stop our passing attack with hard press coverage and forcing the receivers to win those battles. If they're expecting calls to bail them out, then they're morons.

Can't remember where I saw it (probably here) but someone made a good point that Eli sometimes just chucks it up for grabs to Cruz (sometimes into double and triple coverage) and hopes he makes a play and seemingly every time Cruz bails him out.

It was clear that Eli was trying that again yesterday, and aside from the gift from the refs it was a failure.

Local STL podcast. Rick Venturi and Gruden are bros, and Venturi spent last week in TB with Gruden at their Fired Football Coaches Association. Went through the league and figured 10-11 could come open. Not saying they all would, but these are the candidates that I can remember

AZ
SD
KC
NO
CAR
CLE
MIN
NYJ
BUF
PHI

http://icestream.dev-cms.com:8000/stl/2012/11/p_Zach_and_Coach_20121105_9am.mp3

like the 10 minute mark i think. venturi is good radio. used to work with and for pretty much everyone

I think Mularkey's gone after this year.Khan will probably fire the GM and he'd want his own guy.

squicken said:
AZ
SD
KC
NO
CAR
CLE
MIN
NYJ
BUF
PHI
I personally think the bolded are all safe. Whiz seems to have nine lives with the Cardinals, Minnesota is moving in the right direction, Rex has a long leash and isn't going anywhere and I think the Bills owner just all but guaranteed Gailey would be the coach in 2013, didn't he?

exarkun

I don't understand how Kuhn has kept his spot on that roster for so long. You'd think Thompson would have about 5 other guys that would actually contribute something.

Allows cheeseheads to continue their racist chants under the guise of rooting for a "fan favorite".

I personally think the bolded are all safe. Whiz seems to have nine lives with the Cardinals, Minnesota is moving in the right direction, Rex has a long leash and isn't going anywhere and I think the Bills owner just all but guaranteed Gailey would be the coach in 2013, didn't he?

Agree with Min and NYJ. Also surprised Dallas isn't on there. I'd be surprised if Garrett lasts the season; he's personally cost the Cowboys 2 games already this season.

LJ11

AZ
SD
KC
NO
CAR
CLE
MIN
NYJ
BUF
PHI

Damn, when you sit and list the teams it very well could be a dozen. Most of those coaches deserve the book, Rex is the only one I'd keep out of the group. Buffalo and Minnesota are wild cards, can go either way, and Whisenhunt may be out of lives. Crazy offseason.

r600x600.jpg

Image brought to you by Joe Goodberry.

3rd and 1, Texans don't give a fuck about the pass, Bills get stuffed, 5 blockers vs 7 defenders, will always lose that matchup. Never ran in short yardage the rest of the game. No fear of Fitz or receivers, safeties sitting within 7 yards.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Can't remember where I saw it (probably here) but someone made a good point that Eli sometimes just chucks it up for grabs to Cruz (sometimes into double and triple coverage) and hopes he makes a play and seemingly every time Cruz bails him out.
I mentioned that it was pattern recently, yes. Eli is usually very good about distributing the ball, playing no favorites etc (watch the first five games of the season). The last few games though, it's obvious that he's looking for the big play more and more and he's forcing things to Cruz and hoping to make something out of it. To be fair, Cruz is usually pretty money on making things happen but that isn't an offensive game plan.

There's no All-22 available as of yet but even watching the game at the broadcast level, there are outlets he could have hit on some of those throws. Short gains that could have pushed the chains and kept drives alive. That's what's frustrating about his play right now. He's not taking what's being given and distributing the ball. It's kill shot or nothing and you can't have success with that (sort of reminds me of the frustration Packers fans had early on with McCarthy/Rodgers hanging onto the ball too long and constantly trying to put the ball 50 yards down the field instead sustaining drives).

Some statistics:

Eli Manning in the first 5 games: 128 of 197 (65%), 1579 yds, 10 TD, 5 INT, 96.0 rating

Eli Manning in the last 4 games: 66 of 121 (54.5%), 847 yds, 2 TD, 4 INT, 68.4 rating.

As Eli goes, so do the Giants. Though I find it funny reading BBI and other Giants sites panicking as if the team just dropped 3-4 games in a row. It's one loss to an AFC opponent coming off of a four game win streak. *breath folks*

Top Bottom