• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 9 |OT| Gronkenstorm

squicken

Damn, when you sit and list the teams it very well could be a dozen. Most of those coaches deserve the book, Rex is the only one I'd keep out of the group. Buffalo and Minnesota are wild cards, can go either way, and Whisenhunt may be out of lives. Crazy offseason.

http://img.viame-cdn.com/photos/efe95b00-09b8-0130-4460-12313819670d/r600x600.jpg[/IG]

Image brought to you by Joe Goodberry.

3rd and 1, Texans don't give a fuck about the pass, Bills get stuffed, 5 blockers vs 7 defenders, will always lose that matchup. Never ran in short yardage the rest of the game. No fear of Fitz or receivers, safeties sitting within 7 yards.[/QUOTE]

But don't you have speed at WR? I mean Stevie should be able to get over the top. Can they not block it, or can Fitz not throw it?

I mentioned that it was pattern recently, yes. Eli is usually very good about distributing the ball, playing no favorites etc (watch the first five games of the season). The last few games though, it's obvious that he's looking for the big play more and more and he's forcing things to Cruz and hoping to make something out of it. To be fair, Cruz is usually pretty money on making things happen but that isn't an offensive game plan.

There's no All-22 available as of yet but even watching the game at the broadcast level, there are outlets he could have hit on some of those throws. Short gains that could have pushed the chains and kept drives alive. That's what's frustrating about his play right now. He's not taking what's being given and distributing the ball. It's kill shot or nothing and you can't have success with that (sort of reminds me of the frustration Packers fans had early on with McCarthy/Rodgers hanging onto the ball too long and constantly trying to put the ball 50 yards down the field instead sustaining drives).

Some statistics:

Eli Manning in the first 5 games: 128 of 197 (65%), 1579 yds, 10 TD, 5 INT, 96.0 rating

Eli Manning in the last 4 games: 66 of 121 (54.5%), 847 yds, 2 TD, 4 INT, 68.4 rating.

As Eli goes, so do the Giants. Though I find it funny reading BBI and other Giants sites panicking as if the team just dropped 3-4 games in a row. It's one loss to an AFC opponent coming off of a four game win streak. *breath folks*

Looking at those stats I read: Good Eli/Bad Eli.

The bomb problem I know all too well. It was a common problem with the Steelers, except every Steelers fan knew its source - Bruce Arians. It's a feast or famine style that will get your QB sacked a disproportionate amount of the time.

LJ11

But don't you have speed at WR? I mean Stevie should be able to get over the top. Can they not block it, or can Fitz not throw it?

Steve's not that fast, he's quick, TJ's a burner and Jones can get by people, but the latter have trouble getting off press. Problem is Fitz, straight garbage. Chan should get hate, dude is soft as fuck, tied his wagon to that idiot, but the problems start with Fitz on O.

r600x600.jpg

Wide fucking open, perfect pocket.

r600x600.jpg

Then they ran a counter to that play. Look at the middle receiver on the trips side, dude is even with the defender who hasn't even flipped his hips yet, they are staring down the drag. Has room to step up and nail the post route, especially with the seam threat on the back side.

Fucking trash, this is why I wait for others to rewatch and post. I can't stomach this garbage, it's torture. No route anticipation. Dude is dumb on the field.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
r600x600.jpg

3rd and 1, Texans don't give a fuck about the pass, Bills get stuffed, 5 blockers vs 7 defenders, will always lose that matchup. Never ran in short yardage the rest of the game. No fear of Fitz or receivers, safeties sitting within 7 yards.
I <3 wade. Confidence in his players to execute his plan.

Just in general it feels so good to have competent coaching on defense for a change. Sure they'll get beat, ala packers a few weeks ago. But by no means is that going to happen on a consistent basis.

So apparently terry Bradshaw referenced bush chasing a bucket of chicken when describing his td run.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Steve's not that fast, he's quick, TJ's a burner and Jones can get by people, but the latter have trouble getting off press. Problem is Fitz, straight garbage. Chan should get hate, dude is soft as fuck, tied his wagon to that idiot, but the problems start with Fitz on O.

Fucking trash, this is why I wait for others to rewatch and post. I can't stomach this garbage, it's torture. No route anticipation. Dude is dumb on the field.

I have been saying this forever.

cajunator

Banned
Looking at those stats I read: Good Eli/Bad Eli.

The bomb problem I know all too well. It was a common problem with the Steelers, except every Steelers fan knew its source - Bruce Arians. It's a feast or famine style that will get your QB sacked a disproportionate amount of the time.

Isnt that what got Cutler killed in Chicago? Mike Martz I think.

I thought Fitz was pretty good? He started out hot last year.

LJ11

Guy was always a stop gap in my mind, use him for a couple of season while you look for a QB via the draft, then he caught fire against some shit defenses. Boom, contract extension.

Phil Simms kept talking about smoke and mirrors last year, he was right which is a rarity! Took advantage of some bad teams, while they ran the same concepts out of different personnel groupings, league caught up eventually. Can't hide your QB's limitations, catches up sooner or later. Receivers have to win one on one consistently and they don't, our TE is average honestly. Spiller and Steve are the only offensive weapons I keep.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
So guys, who's spending their week watching the All-22 film you motherfuckers were all so excited about?

I give it a good 30 minutes to an hour every week. It's great.

Damn, when you sit and list the teams it very well could be a dozen. Most of those coaches deserve the book, Rex is the only one I'd keep out of the group. Buffalo and Minnesota are wild cards, can go either way, and Whisenhunt may be out of lives. Crazy offseason.

r600x600.jpg

3rd and 1, Texans don't give a fuck about the pass, Bills get stuffed, 5 blockers vs 7 defenders, will always lose that matchup. Never ran in short yardage the rest of the game. No fear of Fitz or receivers, safeties sitting within 7 yards.

:jnc Is Fitz not allowed to audible? Hey, z receiver, run a flat route.

EDIT: And you hc desperate teams, STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM HALEY, HE'S OURS!

squicken

http://img.viame-cdn.com/photos/f53ecc00-09ba-0130-0976-1231380e9a03/r600x600.jpg[/IG]

Wide fucking open, perfect pocket.

[IMG]http://img.viame-cdn.com/photos/8ab51530-09bd-0130-0976-1231380e9a03/r600x600.jpg[/IG]

Then they ran a counter to that play. Look at the middle receiver on the trips side, dude is even with the defender who hasn't even flipped his hips yet, they are staring down the drag. Has room to step up and nail the post route, especially with the seam threat on the back side.

Fucking trash, this is why I wait for others to rewatch and post. I can't stomach this garbage, it's torture. No route anticipation. Dude is dumb on the field.[/QUOTE]

I do get your building apathy. Enough years and you just can't take anymore

In one way you are pretty lucky that there are still passionate fans. I've been high and low looking for Rams stuff and there is like one guy. There's no sort of technical discussion, and I have no idea on any of the stuff, so I have to piece together an idea of what I think is happening. Always appreciate it when you, FV, chuck, and others post stuff, even if it's of other teams

cajunator

Banned
Maybe he could do it to see what the fuck is gong wrong in some of the Saints games too.
I have no patience or recording equipment that can really analyze that stuff.
Sometimes people on Saintsreport do but not often enough.

squicken

Andrew Siciliano &#8207;@AndrewSiciliano
Who knew? Drew Brees' Westlake High School records for passing yards (5,658) and TD's (56) were eventually broken by Nick Foles.

Should warm the hearts of Philly fans. Maybe?

WanderingWind

I thought Fitz was pretty good? He started out hot last year.

He's never been what a reasonable team would consider a franchise QB.

Guy was always a stop gap in my mind, use him for a couple of season while you look for a QB via the draft, then he caught fire against some shit defenses. Boom, contract extension.

Phil Simms kept talking about smoke and mirrors last year, he was right which is a rarity! Took advantage of some bad teams, while they ran the same concepts out of different personnel groupings, league caught up eventually. Can't hide your QB's limitations, catches up sooner or later. Receivers have to win one on one consistently and they don't, our TE is average honestly. Spiller and Steve are the only offensive weapons I keep.

I was saying all of this all off season long. His intelligence off the field can't be questioned, but I can't see how anybody could look at his play on field and like his ability to grasp defenses. His best games have always, always, 100 percent of the time been where the coach took the reigns from him and really micromanaged his inability to throw accurately more than 15 yards down the field. He's excellent at short passes with plays that are already set in stone. Throw any sort of change-up at him and he crumples mentally and he's not physically gifted enough to make up for it.

LJ11

I do get your building apathy. Enough years and you just can't take anymore

In one way you are pretty lucky that there are still passionate fans. I've been high and low looking for Rams stuff and there is like one guy. There's no sort of technical discussion, and I have no idea on any of the stuff, so I have to piece together an idea of what I think is happening. Always appreciate it when you, FV, chuck, and others post stuff, even if it's of other teams

Fan base was stronger 4 years ago, feels like it's slowly fading but there are some die hards that won't quit, or can't, myself included.

8 losing seasons in a row. 1 winning season in the last 13, just awful.

I was saying all of this all off season long. His intelligence off the field can't be questioned, but I can't see how anybody could look at his play on field and like his ability to grasp defenses. His best games have always, always, 100 percent of the time been where the coach took the reigns from him and really micromanaged his inability to throw accurately more than 15 yards down the field. He's excellent at short passes with plays that are already set in stone. Throw any sort of change-up at him and he crumples mentally and he's not physically gifted enough to make up for it.

He's king of the curl/slant/quick out, can't throw deep or a fade. When was the last time he threw a deep post, or any post for that matter? What about corner routes, he never throws it. Really limited, doesn't attack the entire field. Need to move on, experiment is over.

squicken

If Spiller is a threat, can he not throw deep off of PA? Just tell him to do it. Kubiak has always limited what Schaub can do at the LoS. Frees him to sell the run action and not be burdened with multiple route combinations

WanderingWind

If Spiller is a threat, can he not throw deep off of PA? Just tell him to do it. Kubiak has always limited what Schaub can do at the LoS. Frees him to sell the run action and not be burdened with multiple route combinations

He can't. He's wildly inaccurate at that range. I'd say about 80 percent of his 10+ yeard completions were YAC from the receivers.

effzee

Damnit why I am getting all excited for the game tonight? I know they are going to lose and that walrus is going to get up in front of the media, grunt, and then say "Uhmm I can do a better job, its on me, we will fix it".

squicken

He can't. He's wildly inaccurate at that range. I'd say about 80 percent of his 10+ yeard completions were YAC from the receivers.

Damn. He's like bottom 3 in average depth of target. Only Ponder and Skeltor are worse. Then top 3 in % of yards on YAC. That's bad

Upside is that seems like other pieces are in place, and even if you hit on an average guy, things would improve a lot

LJ11

Bills PA game is shit, so fucking predictable, usually some type of boot, pretty much it. Everyone sniffs it out, defenses will usually give up a short cross on it but they're all over it the second and third time through it. Fitz can't go deep at all, like WW says. Keeps getting worse, wasn't that bad early in his Buffalo career.

Only creativity is in the screen game.

Edit: I think they're fucked going forward too. All 3 guards on the roster are free agents at the end of the year, next year their Center is up, and Byrd this year. Can't keep Fitz on the roster, may have to restructure or cut his ass at some point.

That actually seems like the perfect fit to bring the bags back to Nawlins.

I wonder if Jerrah is stocking up in Vicodin to entice Muniz?
Pretty sure Jerrah threw some Money bags at Goddell try and get Payton, and this is all part of his master plan to win a SuperBowl

Talon

Damnit why I am getting all excited for the game tonight? I know they are going to lose and that walrus is going to get up in front of the media, grunt, and then say "Uhmm I can do a better job, its on me, we will fix it".
Anything is possible with the Saints defense.

I give it a good 30 minutes to an hour every week. It's great.

:jnc Is Fitz not allowed to audible? Hey, z receiver, run a flat route.

EDIT: And you hc desperate teams, STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM HALEY, HE'S OURS!

haley is norv turner jr. good coordinator, shit head coach. pretty sure he's safe

Top Bottom