• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

He looked invisible last night...if one can look invisible.

I didn't watch much of that game, but Ove came in like a freight train to lay some1 out and the guy just leans into him and Ove takes the worst of the huge hit. I wanna say it was Chara. I wouldn't have my A game anymore after a hit like that either.

Alucard

Banned
I am telling you man...our best bet is to win game 6 back at home, because if it makes it to 7, the series is over, haha.

Flyers need to win one of the next two. If they fail in both, Pens are going to have alllllllll the momentum heading into game 7.

That said, the Flyers aren't winning tonight. You have the Alucard guarantee on that one. Pens are gonna come out like gangbusters, and it's gonna be 2-0 in the first 10 minutes for the homeside. If I'm wrong, feel free to copy/paste this post and laugh at me until your throats are sore.

Jon

Flyers need to win one of the next two. If they fail in both, Pens are going to have alllllllll the momentum heading into game 7.

That said, the Flyers aren't winning tonight. You have the Alucard guarantee on that one. Pens are gonna come out like gangbusters, and it's gonna be 2-0 in the first 10 minutes for the homeside. If I'm wrong, feel free to copy/paste this post and laugh at me until your throats are sore.

I agree wholeheartedly. (But I will be happy to mock you if wrong :-D )

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I didn't watch much of that game, but Ove came in like a freight train to lay some1 out and the guy just leans into him and Ove takes the worst of the huge hit. I wanna say it was Chara. I wouldn't have my A game anymore after a hit like that either.

It was Chara. He bounced off him.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe Ovechkin was benched because the Caps went into full protect-lead mode in the third?
Pretty much this...

Pierre even asked him if he was "ok" while he was on the bench and Ovie said "Yeah". He was then put out a few shifts later and looked to be just fine. It seemed to be more about protecting the lead at that point as Semin wasn't out there all that much either.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty much this...

Pierre even asked him if he was "ok" while he was on the bench and Ovie said "Yeah". He was then put out a few shifts later and looked to be just fine. It seemed to be more about protecting the lead at that point as Semin wasn't out there all that much either.

Semin has been playing great on defense. He actually cares about defense and blocks shots.

th3dude

I'm with you 100%. I welcome the haters.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Just like Detroit against San Jose last year! All that momentum!

Ra\/en

Or Chicago against the Canucks. That Game7 OT Burrows glove-catch...

That just reminds me of how unlikely it is that the Nucks are going to make it to the second round. I can't believe playoff hockey is over for Vancouver so quickly this year. Boo. I was hoping for another long run.

I keep trying to tell myself that now that this is an elimination game, Detroit will actually come out and play some good hockey meaning Datsyuk will be making everyone look like a pylon, Lidstrom will be playing amazing defense, Howard will be on his game, Franzen will switch over to playoff mode, etc...

But then I realize that this is Detroit and for all I know they could show up to the game and just fall over and die within the first 10 seconds. :/

Marvie_3

Banned
I really don't get what takes so long. This isn't rocket science! Lay down the law dammit!
They're waiting to hear updates on Hossa's condition. That's why the hearing was delayed until today in the first place. It's bullshit. Punish the action not the result. Torres should be out a long time no matter how Hossa is.

Heres the details.

Playoff Comebacks
Comebacks from Trailing 3-1 in Games | Comebacks from Trailing 2-0 in Games | Largest Single-Game Playoff Comebacks | Largest Regular-Season Point Differential Overcome by Upset Series Winner | Playoff Overtime, 1990 to 2007 | First-Game Winners Hold Decisive Edge in Stanley Cup Final | Sub-.500 Teams in Stanley Cup Final |
Comebacks from Trailing 3-1 in Games
Note: Teams have trailed 3-1 in a best-of-seven series a total of 229 times and have come back to win the series on 20 occasions or 8.7% of the time.
Year Series Series Result in Games

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1942 F TOR 4 DET 3
1975 QF NYI 4 PIT 3
1987 DSF NYI 4 WSH 3
1987 DF DET 4 TOR 3
1988 DSF WSH 4 PHI 3
1989 DSF LA 4 EDM 3
1990 DSF EDM 4 WPG 3
1991 DSF STL 4 DET 3
1992 DSF DET 4 MIN 3
1992 DSF VAN 4 WPG 3
1992 DSF PIT 4 WSH 3
1994 CQF VAN 4 CGY 3
1995 CQF PIT 4 WSH 3
1998 CQF EDM 4 COL 3
1999 CQF STL 4 PHX 3
2000 CF NJ 4 PHI 3
2003 CQF MIN 4 COL 3
2003 CQF VAN 4 STL 3
2003 CSF MIN 4 VAN 3
2004 CQF MTL 4 BOS 3
2009 CQF WSH 4 NYR 3
2010 CQF MTL 4 WSH 3
2010 CF PHI 4 BOS 3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comebacks from Trailing 2-0 in Games
Teams have trailed 2-0 in a best-of-seven series a total of 291 times and have come back to win the series on 37 occasions or 12.7% of the time.
Year Series Series Result in Games

1942 F TOR 4 DET 3
1945 SF DET 4 BOS 3
1959 SF TOR 4 BOS 3
1962 SF CHI 4 MTL 2
1963 SF DET 4 CHI 2
1965 SF CHI 4 DET 3
1966 F MTL 4 DET 2
1968 QF MIN 4 LA 3
1968 QF CHI 4 NYR 2
1971 F MTL 4 CHI 3
1972 QF STL 4 MIN 3
1975 QF NYI 4 PIT 3
1976 QF NYI 4 BUF 2
1977 QF PHI 4 TOR 2
1978 QF TOR 4 NYI 3
1982 DF QUE 4 BOS 3
1984 CF NYI 4 MTL 2
1987 DSF QUE 4 HFD 2
1987 DF MTL 4 QUE 3
1987 DF DET 4 TOR 3
1991 CF PIT 4 BOS 2
1992 DSF DET 4 MIN 3
1992 DSF PIT 4 WSH 3
1993 DSF MTL 4 QUE 2
1993 DSF TOR 4 DET 3
1994 CSF NJ 4 BOS 2
1995 CSF CHI 4 TOR 3
1996 CQF NYR 4 MTL 2
1996 CQF PIT 4 WSH 2
1999 CSF COL 4 DET 2
2000 CSF PHI 4 PIT 2
2001 CQF LA 4 DET 2
2002 CQF DET 4 VAN 2
2003 CQF TB 4 WSH 2
2004 CQF MTL 4 BOS 3
2006 CQF CAR 4 MTL 2
2006 CSF EDM 4 SJ 2
2009 CQF WSH 4 NYR 3
2009 CSF PIT 4 WSH 3
2009 F PIT 4 DET 3
2010 CSF PHI 4 BOS 3

Largest Single-Game Playoff Comebacks
Deficit Date Teams and Final Score

5 Apr 10, 1982 LA 6 vs EDM 5
4 Apr 8, 1971 MTL 7 at BOS 5
4 Apr 28, 1985 MIN 5 at CHI 4

Largest Regular-Season Point Differential Overcome by Upset Series Winner
Differential Year Winner Pts. Loser Pts.

48 1982 LA 63 EDM 111
38 1991 MIN 68 CHI 106
37 1991 MIN 68 STL 105
36 1951 MTL 65 DET 101
33 1981 NYR 74 STL 107
33 2010 MTL 88 WSH 121
32 1986 NYR 78 PHI 110
32 1993 NYI 87 PIT 119
30 1986 CGY 89 EDM 119

Playoff Overtime, 1990 to 2010
• Since the 1990 post season, there have been 363 overtime games.
• The home team has won 179 games (49.3%) and the road team has won 184 games (50.7%).

First-Game Winners Hold Decisive Edge in Stanley Cup Final
Since the NHL implemented the best-of-seven Stanley Cup Championship format in 1939, the following winning trends have developed:
• Teams winning Game One have won the Cup 54 of 69 times (78.3%).
• Teams winning both Games One and Two have won the Cup 41 of 44 times (93.2%).
• Teams winning Games One, Two and Three have won the Cup 24 of 25 times (96%).
• Teams winning Game Three after splitting the first two games have won the Cup 21 of 25 times (84%).
• Teams holding a 2-1 series lead have won the Cup 38 of 44 times (86.4%).
• Teams winning Game Five after splitting the first four games have won the Cup 14 of 19 times (73.7%).
• Teams holding a 3-2 series lead have won the Cup 26 of 32 times (81.3%).

Sub-.500 Teams in Stanley Cup Final
Note: Fifteen teams have advanced to the Stanley Cup Final after posting regular-season records below the .500 mark.
Year Team Regular-Season Record Win. %
1991 Minnesota North Stars 27-39-14 .425
1982 Vancouver Canucks 30-33-17 .481
1968 St. Louis Blues 27-31-16 .473
1961 Detroit Red Wings 25-29-16 .471
1959 Toronto Maple Leafs 27-32-11 .464
1958 Boston Bruins 27-28-15 .493
1953 Boston Bruins 28-29-13 .493
1951 Montreal Canadiens 25-30-15 .464
1950 New York Rangers 28-31-11 .479
1949 Toronto Maple Leafs 22-25-13 .475
1944 Chicago Black Hawks 22-23-5 .490
1942 Detroit Red Wings 19-25-4 .438
1939 Toronto Maple Leafs 19-20-9 .490
1938 Chicago Black Hawks 14-25-9 .385
1937 New York Rangers 19-20-9 .490

Slurmer

Banned
Pens fans super confident...

Series has been totally unpredictable, but I think Philly gets their shit together tonight even with grossmann out...effectively sweeping Pittsburgh in their own building.

Plinko

They're waiting to hear updates on Hossa's condition. That's why the hearing was delayed until today in the first place. It's bullshit. Punish the action not the result. Torres should be out a long time no matter how Hossa is.

Agreed. This is ridiculous.

Also, waiting a bit longer takes a little attention away from it, which they need if the suspension is ridiculously short.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I keep trying to tell myself that now that this is an elimination game, Detroit will actually come out and play some good hockey meaning Datsyuk will be making everyone look like a pylon, Lidstrom will be playing amazing defense, Howard will be on his game, Franzen will switch over to playoff mode, etc...

But then I realize that this is Detroit and for all I know they could show up to the game and just fall over and die within the first 10 seconds. :/
It's going to be the same old song and dance. Detroit will come out flying (for once) and control the first 5-10 minutes of the game, but won't score. Then they'll press too hard and get caught, giving up a 2 on 1 or a breakaway and the Preds will score first, pretty much ending our season. They'll be so deflated after giving up a goal like that, that they'll just phone it in the rest of the way. They might get a goal or two, but will never tie it up nor take the lead. Like I said a few days ago, I have a feeling the Preds score the first 2 and never look back.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
It's going to be the same old song and dance. Detroit will come out flying (for once) and control the first 5-10 minutes of the game, but won't score. Then they'll press too hard and get caught, giving up a 2 on 1 or a breakaway and the Preds will score first, pretty much ending our season. They'll be so deflated after giving up a goal like that, that they'll just phone it in the rest of the way. They might get a goal or two, but will never tie it up nor take the lead. Like I said a few days ago, I have a feeling the Preds score the first 2 and never look back.

preds.gif
preds.gif
preds.gif

I'd put my money on Detroit before any other team down 3-1, but still I doubt it. Detroits too old of a team and it's starting to show. I'm curious how their farm system looks right now.

We have a lot of high risk high reward players for forward, our D pool isn't as good but we still have some good D prospects. A lot of our forward prospects, or at least the top 10 have a high ceiling but they may not have the potential to make it that far.

Don't forget the last minute goal that will give us hope but ultimately not do anything.

Screw it, might as well give this post one more try:

mMylg.jpg

mMylg.jpg

Alucard

Banned
Interested to see the Pens game tonight. I predict crazy.

Yep. I'm an hour and a bit away from going into total fanboy hate mode again. Love you, Philly-GAF, but I'm gonna be swearing like a sailor and saying all sorts of ugly things once the game starts. It worked last time.

t0mp

I'm happy that JVR is in while Rinaldo is out.

Flyers just got a buckle up defense and keep Bryz confident and it's a win

JVR is a huge boost over rinaldo. keeps others fresher and he can be a sick power forward when he wants to be. hopefully he's not getting too rushed into this..

Yep. I'm an hour and a bit away from going into total fanboy hate mode again. Love you, Philly-GAF, but I'm gonna be swearing like a sailor and saying all sorts of ugly things once the game starts. It worked last time.
I already started drinking.

prediction: I get banned if this series goes further

We have a lot of high risk high reward players for forward, our D pool isn't as good but we still have some good D prospects. A lot of our forward prospects, or at least the top 10 have a high ceiling but they may not have the potential to make it that far.

Don't forget the last minute goal that will give us hope but ultimately not do anything.

Screw it, might as well give this post one more try:

mMylg.jpg

mMylg.jpg

BANNERS BANNERS BANNERS BANNERS

Top Bottom