• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

And there is where my problem lies, they want to go to some school hosted event with life sized board games (yeah sounds somewhat lame). Only person I know who is going is 1 girl and I kinda know one of the guys, the other 3 are from there video game design class group..... so yeah, no one is really a sports fan at all except for me. :/

Scratch all of this, apparently everyone is now too busy, lovely...

So hockey game and crying myself to sleep is what I have left

ZeroGravity

fuck that. Henrique played with the top line all fucking year. I could have scored that many points if I centered Kovy and Parise.

Also, didn't think he'd win it, I just wanted him to be a candidate at least.
Wouldn't surprise me if voters held his age against him.

edit2: Tim Panaccio ‏

fuck that. Henrique played with the top line all fucking year. I could have scored that many points if I centered Kovy and Parise.

t0mp is an NHL'er confirmed!

t0mp

Wouldn't surprise me if voters held his age against him.

yeah and I get that...it's just that he's been so good.. he does it all :/

Grossmann news:
Frank Seravalli
Nick Grossmann does not have a locker in the Flyers' locker room. Tells you everything you need to know for tonight. Manning, Gus have one.

JVR news:
Frank Seravalli ‏
James van Riemsdyk did not skate this morning but his equipment is hung in his stall. Optional skate. No Briere, no Jagr, no Lilja.

Is it bad that I'd rather have Manning than Lilja?
Kimmo, Coby, Carle, Kubina, Gus, Manning

yikes..

Cagey

Banned

After Zajac went down early, the Devils were in dire straits for centers because we were down so many bodies (Zajac, Josefson who was to contribute on the 3rd/4th lines also hurt). Henrique stepped in as a rookie and was excellent for most of the year, so he filled a big need by being competent/healthy and was also a positive because he was actually good.

LOL people complain about the way the Devils played not just because it was boring and ruined hockey, but because the Devils cheated the whole time. They constantly interfered with opposing players, they would hook and hold guys trying to bring the puck out of their own zone, this lead to tons of turnovers which the Devils were then able to turn into goals. Even when they were leading the league in goals they had few offensively talented players, they just coasted off the fact that they could get away with what ever they wanted. The sooner they are in Quebec the better.

If I am annoying anyone there is an ignore function here for a reason, but I am not going to sit back and let people say shit like that without replying. Isnt the point of a hockey board to discuss hockey? As much as I might not like the Devil are a part of the NHL, and as such discussing them seems completely on topic.

h1.JPG

Fuck I want to put my fist through my laptop now. I would think any hockey fan, even a Devils fan, would think Stevens is the worst piece of shit in NHL history. The hate I have for that guy will never be matched.

I cant believe you quoted it! There needs to be some way to block all images from a poster. I dont want to put him on ignore but damn no one should have to see something that vile.

gcubed

Jon

i can't wait for Carle to infect some other team after this year is over. He's a waste of space.

1000x YES. Man, I have hated on Matt Carle forever, and none of my friends back me up. Thank you gcubed, thank you. More than you can understand.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Gill out again tonight. guess they want to rest him unless Detroit decides to make this series interesting

Coburn has been worse than Carle this series. He's blown multiple coverages that have lead to goals.

Arguing about which Flyers defenseman has been the worst is like a bunch of midgets arguing over who is the shortest. They have all been fucking terrible. If they blow this series they need to blow up the D and bring in Sutter and Weaber.

gcubed

1000x YES. Man, I have hated on Matt Carle forever, and none of my friends back me up. Thank you gcubed, thank you. More than you can understand.

it pisses me off every time an announcer says he's a good defensemen. He's not. If he had some offensive talent you can look past some of his defensive deficiencies, but he doesn't.

Arguing about which Flyers defenseman has been the worst is like a bunch of midgets arguing over who is the shortest. They have all been fucking terrible. If they blow this series they need to blow up the D and bring in Sutter and Weaber.

It amazes me how Pronger can make that much of a difference with the 7 other guys. When he played all defensive pairs played better. Once he gets injured they look like a bunch of fools. Same as it was last year. Its mind boggling.

You guys really like drinking on weeknights.

all nights. I dont discriminate between weeknights and weekends.

ShaneB

Fuck I want to put my fist through my laptop now. I would think any hockey fan, even a Devils fan, would think Stevens is the worst piece of shit in NHL history. The hate I have for that guy will never be matched.

Same actually, was never ever a fan. Dished out lethal hits that would call for his head in the game today.

I was gonna say I'm glad there are only 2 games tonight, but then I realize they are 2 very big games, and it sucks they're on at the same time, but at least it's a staggered start. Will have to rush home from the gym tonight.

Tomorrow will be crazy day of hockey again, the first round is so terrific. Really pray the second round keeps the momentum going, but man, the West is looking bleak.

It amazes me how Pronger can make that much of a difference with the 7 other guys. When he played all defensive pairs played better. Once he gets injured they look like a bunch of fools. Same as it was last year. Its mind boggling.

He takes a spot on the top pairing which lets someone move from the 1st to the 2nd where they are not so out of place, and then someone can go from 2nd to 3rd, and finally and most importantly someone who should even be playing can go from 3rd to bench. Him in the lineup greatly improves every pairing. That is why the Flyers must get a guy for the top pair this offseason.

2nd favourite player of all time, right behind Pavel Bure. Nasty piece of work.
I am really surprised that people would like a guy that made a career out of trying to injure other players. I guess he never ended the career of a plyer on your team and a cheapshot.

sammich

He takes a spot on the top pairing which lets someone move from the 1st to the 2nd where they are not so out of place, and then someone can go from 2nd to 3rd, and finally and most importantly someone who should even be playing can go from 3rd to bench. Him in the lineup greatly improves every pairing. That is why the Flyers must get a guy for the top pair this offseason.

Theres no chance of him coming back for the playoffs is there? Not even if they reach the final? I think if Pronger was available in the Pens series we might have seen Crosby slash him with his skate in that third game

gcubed

Theres no chance of him coming back for the playoffs is there? Not even if they reach the final? I think if Pronger was available in the Pens series we might have seen Crosby slash him with his skate in that third game

he's done for his career. no expectations to ever see him back playing hockey. Sounds like he hopefully can just live headache free, let alone play hockey

Capitals' goaltending situation will be interesting. Vokoun was only signed for one year, and he's 35. Would they go with Neuvirth and Holtby next season?

he's done for his career. no expectations to ever see him back playing hockey. Sounds like he hopefully can just live headache free, let alone play hockey

It was so great seeing him at that game at the end of the season, smiling and looking better. I think there is a less then 0% chance of him coming back. I miss him because he made the flyers better but it is hard to think it is anything but karma for the way be played.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I am really surprised that people would like a guy that made a career out of trying to injure other players. I guess he never ended the career of a plyer on your team and a cheapshot.
Considering the team you cheer for, I'm thinking that familiarity is what's breeding contempt. He always played close to - and occasionally over, I admit - the edge, but his hits were devastating and you hardly ever saw him take an elbowing penalty. Just cranking guys who didn't keep their heads on a swivel.

edit: 4 elbowing penalties lifetime in regular season play. Taking into account the way he played, that's amazing

gcubed

It was so great seeing him at that game at the end of the season, smiling and looking better. I think there is a less then 0% chance of him coming back. I miss him because he made the flyers better but it is hard to think it is anything but karma for the way be played.

its a shame we only had him for the latter part of his career. He fit in pretty well in Philly. With the understanding of him being gone (and i think if he retires his cap money goes?) hopefully they focus on rebuilding the entire D next year. I like Grossman but he's not good enough to be THE guy.

Considering the team you cheer for, I'm thinking that familiarity is what's breeding contempt. He always played close - and occasionally over, I admit - the edge, but his hits were devastating and you hardly ever saw him take an elbowing penalty. Just cranking guys who didn't keep their heads on a swivel.

edit: 4 elbowing penalties lifetime in regular season play. Taking into account the way he played, that's amazing

The hit in Lindros wasnt an elbow though. Stevens would hit guys with his shoulder and then chicken wing them so that their heads would hit the ice. He targeted guys heads all the time. I think the lack of penalties and suspensions was more due to when he played then how he played. It was like the league tried to clean tuff up but he was grandfathered in or something.

its a shame we only had him for the latter part of his career. He fit in pretty well in Philly. With the understanding of him being gone (and i think if he retires his cap money goes?) hopefully they focus on rebuilding the entire D next year. I like Grossman but he's not good enough to be THE guy.

I think actually if he retires the Flyers are on the hook and he counts against the cap. He has to "keep trying" to play for the Flyers to get cap relief.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
The hit in Lindros wasnt an elbow though. Stevens would hit guys with his shoulder and then chicken wing them so that their heads would hit the ice. He targeted guys heads all the time. I think the lack of penalties and suspensions was more due to when he played then how he played. It was like the league tried to clean tuff up but he was grandfathered in or something.
I see it from your perspective, but don't necessarily agree. That's cool, though.

In 2012 playoff news...highly amusing listening to Tim Thomas throw his teammates under the bus.

I don't see anyway Vancouver can win this in 7. I'm very confident that the Kings will be winning the next game. Sure they have both the Sedins again, but Quick is just too hot and I'm sure the Kings know they have to spark themselves offensively if they want to get past the former Western Conference Champions and get a whiff of being there themselves.

I think they'll lose, but it will be in game 7 in Vancouver. Riots.

I had so much respect for Thomas before the year started but it is gone now. Their is no reason at all to talk about the chances they are getting or anything like that. The Bruins have controlled the play most of the series and Holtby has played amazing.

pringles

Gill out again tonight. guess they want to rest him unless Detroit decides to make this series interesting

I hope they do. But more likely is we'll have another game with 40+ Detroit shots and 15-20 Nashville shots and Preds winning 2-1.

Won't be able to watch the game, so I'll atleast be spared from the inevitable frustration and dissapointment.

Cagey

Banned
I had so much respect for Thomas before the year started but it is gone now. Their is no reason at all to talk about the chances they are getting or anything like that. The Bruins have controlled the play most of the series and Holtby has played amazing.

Same. Just give the kid credit, no need to be a dick and minimize his performance...while simultaneously bashing your team. "If our guys could get good chances, they would beat the goalie" manages to insult errbody..

Considering the team you cheer for, I'm thinking that familiarity is what's breeding contempt. He always played close to - and occasionally over, I admit - the edge, but his hits were devastating and you hardly ever saw him take an elbowing penalty. Just cranking guys who didn't keep their heads on a swivel.

What causes you to say that Bish? Honestly why is it that you would categorize an entire TEAM as "near the edge." I'm sure we can all go back and find goons on the Nucks for the last few years. Personally I think this sentiment is pretty big load of BS.

Stevens would be Matt Cooke nowadays. That simple. I find it funny you can praise a guy like Stevens but still be one of the people calling for longer suspensions every other week.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
What causes you to say that Bish? Honestly why is it that you would categorize an entire TEAM as "near the edge." I'm sure we can all go back and find goons on the Nucks for the last few years. Personally I think this sentiment is pretty big load of BS.

Stevens would be Matt Cooke nowadays. That simple. I find it funny you can praise a guy like Stevens but still be one of the people calling for longer suspensions every other week.
What the fuck are you talking about?

"Familiarity breeds contempt" means that since Philadelphia and New Jersey are both in the Atlantic division, Flyers fans would be more familiar with Stevens' style of play. Are you normally this obtuse, or only after a 10-3 public shitting of the bed?

Comparing Stevens to Matt Cooke...ye gods. Go on, then. I can't help you.

"Familiarity breeds contempt" means that since Philadelphia and New Jersey are both in the Atlantic division, Flyers fans would be more familiar with Stevens' style of play. Are you normally this obtuse, or only after a 10-3 public shitting of the bed?

Complete misunderstanding on my part then. Fair enough. Yeah we definitely had to deal with him more. He also probably cost the team a cup so.....

I stand by the Matt Cooke thing. Stevens was vicious, unapologetic, and explicitly targeted the head. He'd be getting suspended multiple times a year in the current NHL.

t0mp

you had to go there... :(

Top Bottom