• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

Entropia

No One Remembers
Well, Buffalo and Carolina fans don't really like each other, so there's that.

What Dubbedinenglish makes the most sense though.

Solo

I think most people like Buffalo and Toronto's division given they're two of the closest teams in the league.

Looking at the proposed realignment divisions, you likely just take Phoenix out of Conference A add Quebec into the existing Conference C to make is an 8 team conference.

Which I'm not doing, as they won't happen unless the players get the CBA they want, which they won't.

Name a better solution. You can't move any of MTL, TOR, OTT or BOS for rivalry/location purposes, and Quebec has to be in the same division as Montreal. Same goes for PIT/PHI and NYR/NYI/NJD. Sabres are the odd team out. Also, I would think you would like that move, as it lands the Sabres in an easier division.

I've got a solution. You move NYI or NJ out of these shitholes to anywhere else, and Buffalo takes that place.

Cagey

Banned
I think someone in this thread brought up the possibility of this happening at the start of the series (that is, visiting fans throwing them to get a delay of game penalty called). Guess it was only a matter of time. Hope the Devils lose.

Devils fans continue the team tradition of killing all things fun.

New Jersey is the opposite of everything fun

Just keep Devils fans out. Nobody wants them there anyway

Wow. Florida gives out thousands of rats. Dozens get thrown onto ice during regulation. Organization blames visiting fans (convenient) whom presumably make up less than 10% of the actual attendance, absolves home fans of wrongdoing. People here buy the explanation.

Let Deadspin take it away...
This is insane and cowardly. If the message board chatter is true, and a fan in a Devils jersey was ejected from the game for throwing a rat, it doesn't come near to explaining the tens of other rats that made their way onto the ice during gameplay. Tom Gulitti, the Record's Devils beat writer, is going off on Twitter right now, and he's right. You can't hand out thousands of rats, then when some of them are thrown at the wrong time, say it was visiting fans and only visiting fans. The Panthers most likely got a phone call from the league office, were told to stop, and to save face in front of their fans chose to put the blame on anyone but themselves.

This is the Panthers' tradition, their only one, and they're trying to not look like the bad guys in putting a halt to it. But don't go claiming Florida fans are perfect saints, and it's those nefarious Jerseyites running a false flag operation. Own up to your own rat problem.

Think critically next time, guys. It might help.

Fei

Buffalo and Boston have a long rivalry going back to the 80's, too. Granted, that's calmed down a lot since, but their games have been pretty great the last couple years even before the Lucic incident. I don't think it makes any sense moving the Sabres out of the NE division (or whatever the future incarnation will be called).

Fei

Which I'm not doing, as they won't happen unless the players get the CBA they want, which they won't.

Which is why I added the edit: Until realignment, Quebec stays in the Pacific - just as Winnipeg is currently stuck in the Southeast.

Realignment is on the way. We all know the NHLPA is going to use that as a bargaining chip. I'm betting it looks a lot like what was proposed in the end.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Which is why I added the edit: Until realignment, Quebec stays in the Pacific - just as Winnipeg is currently stuck in the Southeast.

Realignment is on the way. We all know the NHLPA is going to use that as a bargaining chip. I'm betting it looks a lot like what was proposed in the end.

I'm betting it is identical. Those inter-divisional playoffs are going to suck for Detroit.

Marvie_3

Banned
Winn moves to west, Nashville to SE. Closest team to it.
If they keep the 6 division format then yes.
Wow. Florida gives out thousands of rats. Dozens get thrown onto ice during regulation. Organization blames visiting fans (convenient) whom presumably make up less than 10% of the actual attendance, absolves home fans of wrongdoing. People here buy the explanation.
:lol I was just going along with the Devils hate for the fun of it.

+1 team in each of the 7-team conferences within a decade. It'll happen.

It was beyond retarded. Do we really want to see the same teams playing eachother in the first two rounds every single year?
Yes? Divisional playoffs are awesome.

Let Deadspin take it away...

Think critically next time, guys. It might help.

Quote my previous post that one. I said the same thing.

Also rats are sold at games for $5.

they need to bring back the pants

6y3ME.jpg

hNNdM.jpg

Name a better solution. You can't move any of MTL, TOR, OTT or BOS for rivalry/location purposes, and Quebec has to be in the same division as Montreal. Same goes for PIT/PHI and NYR/NYI/NJD. Sabres are the odd team out. Also, I would think you would like that move, as it lands the Sabres in an easier division.

send Toronto back to the West

Cagey

Banned
Quote my previous post that one. I said the same thing.

Also rats are sold at games for $5.

Dubbed, I had clicked your post by accident, removed it from my post above. My bad.

I'm not sure how you can maintain a tradition moving forward that encourages people to hurl things onto the ice when the object getting tossed is 1) distributed at the stadium, 2) is a plastic rat (i.e. not a hat someone buys for $20-30 and has use outside of this singular context) and 3) is light enough to get tossed easily onto the rink from a distance without running into these same problems over and over again.

Also, the $5 thing... if it's not going to charity, that's one helluva devious fundraiser for the franchise whenever the team makes the playoffs, given that they're often just renting the product (since it's thrown back..) and reselling it at the next game.

Marvie_3

Banned
Rivalries are great.....until they're run into the ground. Habs/Bruins is great because they meet every few years, not every single year.
Depends on the rivalry. If the teams are evenly matched and always make for a great series then I don't see the problem.
What the hell is going on here? Kinda looks like a bunch of wiener soccer players trying to play girls field hockey on roller skates.
So who are the two new teams? Markham and Seattle?
Those would be my best guesses.

purg3

slept with Malkin
I'm back, so how about those Preds, guys? With the Canucks knocked out, I think they have a damn good chance now of taking the west. Can't wait for the second round to start.

Marvie_3

Banned
I'm back, so how about those Preds, guys? With the Canucks knocked out, I think they have a damn good chance now of taking the west. Can't wait for the second round to start.

Preds will dominate the fuck out of whoever comes out of the CHI/PHO matchup. LA is the only team I can see beating them that's left.

there was a time when Toronto was in the same division as Detroit, Chicago and St.Louis.

I would vote for that

*ignores the existence of Columbus, lol

Curufinwe

If Chicago loses, I want to see Philly/LA finals. Cokey Carter and Roofie Richards get their revenge!

Those guys are both better off in LA. Carter is still performing at his customary playoff level, but without his polar opposite Briere beside him making him look especially bad.

OnPoint

I'm sorry Vancouver fans. I really wanted to route for you the whole way through.

The Sharks are gone, the Wings are gone... rough times.

I'm throwing in with the Caps for these playoffs unless they're eliminated.

Winn moves to west, Nashville to SE. Closest team to it.

Been saying it for the longest time now, couldn't agree more.

Get out of here with that Buffalo to the Southeast crap.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Waitwait guys, is this for real or just terrible FOX news:

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/spo...y-coyotes-team-will-stay-in-glendale-04212012

Apparently Phoenix has a buyer and will stay? the fuck?

- It was a big night in the west valley as the Phoenix Coyotes try and close out their series against the Chicago Blackhawks.

But there is even bigger news for the team, their fans and the city of Glendale -- because for the first time, we're hearing from Greg Jamison, the businessman who is not only going to purchase the team, he says the Coyotes are staying in Glendale.

Jamison is now going public for the first time with his intentions of buying the Coyotes.

they need to bring back the pants

6y3ME.jpg

Shame on you all for hating on Cooperalls. They'll come back around again - as fashions tend to do - and it will be awesome. The only real problem with them is flexibility, which could easily be fixed with today's cheap materials, and they look kinda funky with big jerseys.

Dubbed, I had clicked your post by accident, removed it from my post above. My bad.

I'm not sure how you can maintain a tradition moving forward that encourages people to hurl things onto the ice when the object getting tossed is 1) distributed at the stadium, 2) is a plastic rat (i.e. not a hat someone buys for $20-30 and has use outside of this singular context) and 3) is light enough to get tossed easily onto the rink from a distance without running into these same problems over and over again.

Also, the $5 thing... if it's not going to charity, that's one helluva devious fundraiser for the franchise whenever the team makes the playoffs, given that they're often just renting the product (since it's thrown back..) and reselling it at the next game.

No worries.

The "fundraising" is all Yormark. He's a stooge and a man-child and I hate represents the organization in any way. He's the one behind the "Jet Blue" uniforms and pulling a lot of the youth hockey stuff the team sponsored. In 96 rats were not sold in the arena but people brought them anyway. Since the NHL made the rules, the compromise is rats only after games, not during, which is fine and keeps the tradition.

Yormark though has to try to shift blame and have a tantrum because the league probably called in for it. I wish he were fired but he is a big reason the Panthers were never in the profit sharing floor. There should a more elegant solution to this that still involves the rats.

Those guys are both better off in LA. Carter is still performing at his customary playoff level, but without his polar opposite Briere beside him making him look especially bad.

Lol it is so true. Being in LA with so little pressure must be the best thing that ever happened to him.

Marvie_3

Banned
Waitwait guys, is this for real or just terrible FOX news:

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/spo...y-coyotes-team-will-stay-in-glendale-04212012

Apparently Phoenix has a buyer and will stay? the fuck?

That article is so full of shit. Jamison has said himself that he doesn't even have the financing ready to buy the team and that a deal is still months away.

"I'm coming public to let people know that we really have been working on it. I know my name's been in the marketplace some, but the overriding goal has been to purchase the Phoenix Coyotes, to have them stay here, in Glendale, for a long, long time and to try and continue to build on what has occurred here and continue to try to grow the franchise, grow the fan base and grow all the things that go with that. So, yeah, I would say we spend a few days working on this situation and we feel very strongly that the group we're putting together I think, believes in it..and believes it can happen and something we continue to work at every day," said Jamison.

"I can tell you straight up the NHL is committed to this marketplace, like Gary Bettman has worked very hard to have this team stay here and has wanted it to stay here and I know the city of Glendale has worked hard. So based on those two things and both of those have been good partners to work with and deal with..we just looked at it and thought, you know, let's explore a little bit farther and the more we looked at it the more we thought with some of the things that could happen and maybe turn around with the new collective bargaining agreement which is going to happen in September of this year, that it has a real strong potential and we thought let's pursue this and get involved and see where it goes and that's what we've done and we've come to this point today where it's certainly is not done yet, but we're making some progress and we'd like to hope and believe that it can get to the finish line."
This is the same shit Bettman has been spewing for 3 years now and they don't have an owner. Jamison is nothing more than a frontman put out there by the NHL to keep people going to games until the Coyotes are eliminated and they can announce the move.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Looks like it's confirmed that Silfverberg is playing.

Can't wait to see him play.

I'm worried there's been way too much hype on him that he can't possible live up to it (comparing him to Stamkos and Forsberg FFS) but I really doubt they'd put him in the game if they didn't think he could handle it.

Marvie_3

Banned
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

If he actually had the money he'd be the worst businessman in the world. That team can't make money.
Exactly. That team has NEVER turned a profit in any year since they moved to Phoenix.

Top Bottom