• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
LOL at those thinking there won't be a lockout.

It's Donald Fehr. That's what he does.

I just hope it doesn't eat into the season--the league is really doing well right now, ratings are up, and popularity is on the rise. It would be asinine to screw that up.

LOL at those thinking there won't be a lockout.

It's Donald Fehr. That's what he does.

I just hope it doesn't eat into the season--the league is really doing well right now, ratings are up, and popularity is on the rise. It would be asinine to screw that up.

I'm talking about the season starting on time. Fehr will get the season started on time. I won't rule out whatever tactics they want to use in the offseason.

Marvie_3

Banned
Um I wasn't saying they would. I was saying they'd accept the current level as a "compromise."
There's no compromise there though. If some owners are struggling they're going to fight for a lower percentage, not keep the status quo.

This is true, but I think they're also running out of viable markets, which wasn't the case before. Especially when you're also dealing with potentially moving other franchises down the line...it seems like a bad idea.
I still think there are several viable markets, even if they did expand to 32 teams.

If they can increase revenue sharing, I think fewer teams would be in danger. There really aren't any teams that will be moving soon other than Phoenix so there isn't a great need for a surplus of new markets.

There's no compromise there though. If some owners are struggling they're going to fight for a lower percentage, not keep the status quo.

If Fehr is talking about abolishing the cap then it sure as hell is. The struggling owners are going to be struggling regardless of what happens in the negotiations. None of the struggling teams are close enough to the black that this agreement can realistically help them out.

Marvie_3

Banned
3 Way Deal!
:(
He's still have to approve it. :lol

If Fehr is talking about abolishing the cap then it sure as hell is. The struggling owners are going to be struggling regardless of what happens in the negotiations. None of the struggling teams are close enough to the black that this agreement can realistically help them out.
Fehr can talk about abolishing the cap all he wants, it's not going to happen. If the players don't like the cap then maybe they can see if they'd like playing in Europe for $50k a year.

If they took the players' percentage down from 57% to 50%, that works out to about $7M per team. (obviously this math is a rough estimate) Combine that with more revenue sharing (increase from ~$10M to around $15M) and you've made several teams far more solvent than they are now.

Marvie_3

Banned
I dont know what kind of person he is but if they tell him he is the #2 and will play very little if at all maybe he agrees to leave? Also couldnt they send him down and get some cap relief if he wont waive it?
Maybe. That's a HUGE contract to eat though. His actual salary is $6M+, so if I'm the Canucks, I find somewhere he WILL go and take a shitty contract back in return before I eat Luongo's deal.
He might do well playing somewhere with way less pressure.
It's Columbus though. I would assume he'd want to play somewhere he had a chance to win.

Fehr can talk about abolishing the cap all he wants, it's not going to happen. If the players don't like the cap then maybe they can see if they'd like playing in Europe for $50k a year.

If they took the players' percentage down from 57% to 50%, that works out to about $7M per team. (obviously this math is a rough estimate) Combine that with more revenue sharing (increase from ~$10M to around $15M) and you've made several teams far more solvent than they are now.

Well if the union were to cave entirely..... yeah sure. The league is healthy overall though. The owners can negotiate revenue sharing all they want, but the union likely won't agree to a reduction in revenue % is my guess. If they do I'd expect them to negotiate a significant increase in percentage if revenues continue to climb.

Marvie_3

Banned
Well if the union were to cave entirely..... yeah sure. The league is healthy overall though. The owners can negotiate revenue sharing all they want, but the union likely won't agree to a reduction in revenue % is my guess.
Which is exactly why there will be a lockout. The players can either agree to a smaller percent and stay in the NHL or they can play in Europe for peanuts.

If they do I'd expect them to negotiate a significant increase in percentage if revenues continue to climb.
If the players got an increased percentage, several owners would abandon ship, nobody would want to own many of the teams, and the league would collapse when it has a dozen Phoenix's on its hands.

Which is exactly why there will be a lockout. The players can either agree to a smaller percent and stay in the NHL or they can play in Europe for peanuts.

If the players got an increased percentage, several owners would abandon ship, nobody would want to own many of the teams, and the league would collapse when it has a dozen Phoenix's on its hands.

You're ignoring the possibility of increased revenue sharing with continued percentage breakdowns. I see this whole summer as more of an issue for the owners than the union. I really do expect them to agree to the current breakdown.

There's a reason you haven't seen the kind of buildup in the NHL like you did before the last lockout and before the two lockouts last summer. Next season will happen on time.

Marvie_3

Banned
You're ignoring the possibility of increased revenue sharing with continued percentage breakdowns. I see this whole summer as more of an issue for the owners than the union. I really do expect them to agree to the current breakdown.
The cap will rise faster than the increased revenue sharing so the same percentage will only work for a year or two at most.

There's a reason you haven't seen the kind of buildup in the NHL like you did before the last lockout and before the two lockouts last summer. Next season will happen on time.
This is because neither side will negotiate until after the playoffs. Wait until this summer.

This is because neither side will negotiate until after the playoffs. Wait until this summer.

We'll see. It'll be interesting to see who's right here. I see your point I just don't think they won't reach something. I think the owners who are in trouble have way less weight with the league and won't have enough clout to prevent a deal.

Marvie_3

Banned
A Florida team can be the 3rd team. :p

Could work. He's not going to Columbus though. :lol

We'll see. It'll be interesting to see who's right here. I see your point I just don't think they won't reach something. I think the owners who are in trouble have way less weight with the league and won't have enough clout to prevent a deal.
Even the richer owners want the players to have less of a percent. You don't get rich handing out money you don't need to. Plus if they can help out the "poorer" clubs and increase their profits then it's less money coming out of the pockets of the "rich" owners.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Hey I got a topic, does the Pens 1st round loss affect their status as the greatest team of the last 40 years?

:p

lol

I missed it--who is the poster who actually called them the "greatest team in 40 years?"

He had fortune in his name, it was like fortuneman or something like that. I havent seem him post since the series ended but I am sure he will be around any day now.

Edit: Maybe it was future.

Cake Boss

Banned

image.php

Alucard

Banned
The day after...

letangmaf.png

lavvy.png

Next season is certainly going to be interesting. Who stays? Who goes? In October...questions will become answers.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Everything seems against the Rangers tonight, with the sole exception of getting Hagelin back (and even that is somewhat counterbalanced by losing Boyle).

If the Rangers are going to win, this needs to be a statement game. Here's hoping.

pringles

Man the crowd sounds crazy. Does any team have a brighter future then the Sens?
I'd like to say yes, but who are we kidding, these guys just inserted Silfverberg into their lineup. Between him and Karlsson they have 2 franchise players, then they have Zibanejad and a bunch of other kids. They're gonna be good for a while.

Top Bottom