• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

Kovalchuk has averaged over a goal every two games throughout his career, and he's always a threat in the offensive zone. Call me crazy, but constantly defending against one of the best goal scorers in the league probably worries the Flyers coaching staff way more than a plug who the Devils are forced to stick into the lineup.

Career playoff stats: 17 games 6 goals -6

Plus he had a bunch of turnovers and negative plays on Sunday, so no I dont think the Flyers were worried about him at all. I have no idea who they will replace him with but Ihave a hard time believing that player could be worse.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
i9Pim5QcOqkkB.gif

Marvie no! Violence is never the answer.

on twitter: Radulov+Kostitsyn spotted in bar in Scottsdale past midnight Sat before 5pm Game 2 loss. Team was staying in Glendale.

thats probably why they got both suspended. LOL!!

Montreal had lots of problems with players indulging too much in night life in town and had to resort to lots of trades to weed out those type of players.

the Kostistyn brothers never really played with heart, ever.

I like Carter and Richards but that was the same reason used to trade both from Philadelphia

Cat Party

I want to see LA come out of the West. The Kings were my number one team before the Sharks came into the league, and even then, it wasn't until about 10 years ago that I went all in for San Jose. It would really hurt to have SJ be the only Californian team without a Cup, since by all accounts they have been the poster child for an expansion club building a fan base and identity in a new market, but at the same time, LA could use the boost after 45 years in the league with so few deep runs. And meeting Philly would be an amazing storyline.

I'm still salty about '93, BTW. Fucking Carbonneau. Fucking blade curve check.

Cactus

Banned
Career playoff stats: 17 games 6 goals -6

Plus he had a bunch of turnovers and negative plays on Sunday, so no I dont think the Flyers were worried about him at all. I have no idea who they will replace him with but Ihave a hard time believing that player could be worse.

There are a lot of reasons why star players sometimes struggle in the playoffs, and probably the major one is that they're scrupulously defended against by their opponent. Kovalchuk had a terrible opening game against the Flyers, but he was good against Florida, and there's no way the Devils are better off with him out of the lineup. That's a pretty ridiculous statement, IMO, and I'm not sure if you're saying it because you're cocky after a game one victory or whatever, but if I were a member of the Flyers organization, I'd much rather be playing against a 13th forward than a 10 time 30 goal scorer.

Cagey

Banned
There are a lot of reasons why star players sometimes struggle in the playoffs, and probably the major one is that they're scrupulously defended against by their opponent. Kovalchuk had a terrible opening game against the Flyers, but he was good against Florida, and there's no way the Devils are better off with him out of the lineup. That's a pretty ridiculous statement, IMO, and I'm not sure if you're saying it because you're cocky after a game one victory or whatever, but if I were a member of the Flyers organization, I'd much rather be playing against a 13th forward than a 10 time 30 goal scorer.

For the time being, they are. He's not himself and he's not even healthy enough to play the role of shiny decoy.

Cactus

Banned
For the time being, they are. He's not himself and he's not even healthy enough to play the role of shiny decoy.

Well yeah, because he's injured, but I'm talking generally.

Although, maybe he was specifically referring to an injured Kovalchuk, and in that case, yeah, he's right.

Although, maybe he was specifically referring to an injured Kovalchuk, and in that case, yeah, he's right.

I thought it was clear that we were talking about him in this series. I dont know if his shitty play is 100% injury or not, but he was killing the Devils when he was on the ice on Sunday.

Cagey

Banned

Well yeah, generally speaking, Kovalchuk is a top 5 forward in the NHL. His ice time logged this year was enormous (he's the only forward you'll see on that list), his two-way play has improved tremendously in the few years he's been a Devil, PPG player, speed, shot, etc.

But he's been limited for weeks now. He looked slow towards the end of the regular season, slow against Florida, slower as the series went on despite some great play in Game 7, and it all came to a head in Game 1 against Philly. A hobbled star that plays like a fourth liner? I'll take the fourth liner because there's no fatigue concerns.

Tifou

Banned
Montreal had lots of problems with players indulging too much in night life in town and had to resort to lots of trades to weed out those type of players.

I like Carter and Richards but that was the same reason used to trade both from Philadelphia

yeah I know I'm from montreal :p

we also had issue with Price loving too much the mtl night life

cube444

Teams I wouldn't mind seeing win the Cup:

Nashville
St. Louis
Los Angeles

That's about it, I guess. The Caps winning would be good for Ovie, but the fans would never shut up about it.

How is this different than Pittsburgh who never shut up about Crosby and his Cup?

Entropia

No One Remembers

I find it odd that they went to LA, I can only imagine that place being worse for that kind of lifestyle.

Does Montreal have an exciting night life?

Having never been there myself, any friend that's gone there - all they talked about is how amazing it is.

Marvie no! Violence is never the answer.

Violence is always the answer. Have an argument with a friend, resort to violence. Drive through gives you the wrong order, resort to violence. Penguins at the zoo made your little cousin cry, resort to violence. See violence is the only viable solution to everything!!

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
BTW, I posted this in the offseason thread, but since no one reads it, I'll post it here too...

Wings/Leafs 24/7 is all but confirmed!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/hbo-24-7-returning-season-3-red-wings-180321428.html

After two seasons that changed the way fans see the National Hockey League and its players, NHL COO John Collins confirmed that there will be a Season 3 for "HBO 24/7: Road To The NHL Winter Classic" featuring the Detroit Red Wings and the Toronto Maple Leafs.

"We're bringing it back," Collins told Puck Daddy exclusively on Tuesday, although he said a formal announcement is forthcoming.

More at the link.

Alucard

Banned
Wait. Did Radulov and Kostitsyn get benched by the Preds' brass?

Are you cool with this executive decision, sef? Pretty bad timing.

Alucard

Banned
How is this different than Pittsburgh who never shut up about Crosby and his Cup?

I haven't seen too much of that lately. But you're right. I just don't like the Caps or their brass that much. I'd be on board for the them winning the Cup if someone could promise me that Ted Leonsis wouldn't make a pseudo-philosophical post about it while promoting his book on happiness.

Quick

Banned
BTW, I posted this in the offseason thread, but since no one reads it, I'll post it here too...

Wings/Leafs 24/7 is all but confirmed!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/hbo-24-7-returning-season-3-red-wings-180321428.html

More at the link.

YES. YES.

I was worried when I read about the NHL having more of a presence over the production, but reading that there won't be any changes or limitations puts things at ease. Just the matter of getting the NHL production staff more involved and all.

And a Canadian network? TSN? Sportsnet? CBC? I'd imagine it as a rerun of the week's episode censored and/or cut down since there's already HBO Canada that would air it.

LOL.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Wait. Did Radulov and Kostitsyn get benched by the Preds' brass?

Are you cool with this executive decision, sef? Pretty bad timing.

im fine with it, takes real balls for mgmt to do this. its not cool to let guys party it up 12 hours before a game while down in the cup playoffs either.

should send a message to the rest of the team that they're gonna have to work even harder tomorrow night. hopefully it'll light some fires that need to be lit.

cube444

im fine with it, takes real balls for mgmt to do this. its not cool to let guys party it up 12 hours before a game while down in the cup playoffs either.

should send a message to the rest of the team that they're gonna have to work even harder tomorrow night. hopefully it'll light some fires that need to be lit.

Agree 100%.

Go Preds!

Hopefully whatever happens the Preds go down 3-0 in the series. :p

cube444

New York media questions John Tortorella about his demeanor, distaste for press conferences - read the Rangers coach's reaction
BY PAT LEONARD

A few members of the New York media covering this top-seeded team in the Eastern Conference semis asked Rangers coach John Tortorella on Tuesday afternoon to explain why he refuses to engage and answer most questions during the playoffs.

Here is the transcript of an interesting, four-minute press conference from the Garden following an optional team skate and preceding a train ride south to Washington D.C. for Game 3 on Wednesday night:

JOHN TORTORELLA
On whether he was surprised by Alex Ovechkin’s lack of ice time:
“I don’t worry or comment about the other team.”

On whether he was happy with Rangers game other than a few mistakes: “No, there’s some things that we need to continue to work on.”

On whether he has an update on Dubinsky’s health: “Nope. I’m not gonna give you updates on lineups or injuries, so let’s just move right by that.”

On whether Del Zotto is playing better: “He played very well, defensively and offensively.”

On whether Kreider-Gaborik switch was a matchup thing: “No, no.”

On whether he was looking for a different look: “There was a number of different things I was trying to do.”

On whether he’ll say what those things were: “No.”

Reporter: “Are you this way with us just because you don’t like dealing with us?”

Tortorella: “No.”

Reporter: “Or is there a strategy behind not …”

Tortorella: “What are you being a wise ass?”

Reporter: “No, I’m being sincere.”

Tortorella: “I’m being sincere, too. I’m not gonna give you much information. Some of you guys sit here and tell me I’m curt or whatever. I’m not gonna have a staring contest. If you don’t ask me questions, I’ll just leave. So that’s the way it is. I’m sorry I’m not a guy that wants to converse about everything during the playoffs. I’m not.”

On whether Gaborik had one of his better games: “He was OK.”

On what younger players can take from first-round series experience: “I don’t think we need to look at that. I think we need to look at our next game. There were a number of things that I think we did really well and some things that we need to improve on. So it’s 1-1. We’re going into Washington to try to win a game.”

Reporter: “Can you share …”

Tortorella: “Probably not.”

Reporter: “Well, I’m gonna ask you. Arte, why he didn’t get on in the third. Was it just you wanted to roll with those three lines, or there were things you didn’t like in the second.”

Tortorella: “No, Arte actually had a couple good shifts. There were some other things going on.”

On whether Girardi’s diminished minutes was due to Ovechkin playing less: “No, it’s just where the game was. When you’re trailing, trying to get back into it offensively, you use other guys in certain situations.”

Reporter: “So if a guy plays well, you don’t look to get him in or you just couldn’t …”

Tortorella: “You’re not gonna get the answer.”

On Gaborik, whether he’s OK with his play: “Regarding Gabby? Uh, obviously we need him to score some goals here. I’m not going to get into a long discussion here publicly. It’s something that, again, to go off his question, that I’d rather just keep in the room right now. But again, he played better last night.”

Reporter: “John, do you think your Jack Adams nomination is reflective of the …”

Tortorella: (interrupts)

Reporter: “… is reflective of the organization’s …”

Tortorella: “You guys had a chance to ask me about that yesterday and you didn’t. So, let’s talk about the team.”

Link

:lol

Top Bottom