• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Man HF is sickening to read. Why do fans pretend like they know more than professional scouts? Rielly has been a Leaf for less than an hour and people are pissed about him.

Anyhow: Carolina is gonna be beastly.

It's not because of Reilly, it's because they didn't draft to position

Leafs can trade their whole roster and have good defense come up in their place

They are set on D but the forward group is only merely ok to good on both NHL and AHL rosters

Solo

Yeah, it was an even trade overall. No guarantee Pens got significantly better. Doesn't seem to be a HUGE improvement.

I think this is a much bigger deal for Carolina than Pitts. Staal bros on a single line? Carolina just got LEGIT. Then they can roll Skinner's line out there.....

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I think this is a much bigger deal for Carolina than Pitts. Staal bros on a single line? Carolina just got LEGIT. Then they can roll Skinner's line out there.....

They were going to get Jordan next year anyways so they wasted some good assets on him.

Montresor

It's not because of Reilly, it's because they didn't draft to position

Leafs can trade their whole roster and have good defense come up in their place

They are set on D but the forward group is only merely ok to good on both NHL and AHL rosters

Let's be honest with ourselves. The Leafs defense core is bad. They're good on paper but every year they stink it up.

My philosophy: a GM should draft the best player available according to his own team's internal draft rankings. They shouldn't draft based on positional need. But guess what the Leafs DO need elite defensive prospects.

Merguson

Banned
If that is true, then I really think both the Habs and the Leafs got the guys they coveted, which is pretty fucking awesome.

Imagine if Gally was available to the Leafs at 5th overall and he passed on him? I can't imagine the explosion of HFBoards..

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Let's be honest with ourselves. The Leafs defense core is bad. They're good on paper but every year they stink it up.

My philosophy: a GM should draft the best player available according to his own team's internal deaf rankings. They shouldn't draft based on positional need. But guess what the Leafs DO need elite defensive prospects.

But guess what, the Leafs internal rankings are what made the Leafs defensive core weak as it is today.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Problem with picking so many D-men so high is it is a lot harder to predict a Defensemans progress and growth and where they will end up in the future. A top 10 forward is a lot easier to project. It's something like 55% of top 10 picks will play in the NHL. Just look at how many great D-men are found later in the draft.

Solo

Imagine if Gally was available to the Leafs at 5th overall and he passed on him? I can't imagine the explosion of HFBoards..

I wouldn't have gotten to see it, since if Gally had slipped past third my monitor would be in pieces right now.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
:(

We have Gardiner and WERE in on Schultz...but unless we can get him and guarantee good minutes...? I think we're out of it.

That's the thing, I was thinking we WERE in on him and we could focus on forwards

Top Bottom