• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL April 2013 |OT| Darren Dreger: The NHL's Shane Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Sports Club Stats has it at a 50 percent chance Leafs face the Habs in the first round and 35 percent chance its the Bruins.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
So Gardiner is a healthy scratch, again.

smh

Honestly don't even bother getting angry about Gardiner not playing. At this point Carlyle isn't going to put him in as he's now preparing for a hopeful playoff appearance and is trying to set things up as he wants. Gardiner would improve our offense a ton but it's not where we're lacking right now, he's going to shore up the defense as much as possible on the back end.

I see Gardiner being featured and playing regularly next season when Carlyle has the offseason to let him know what he needs to really work on and find the proper spot for him.

Fuck you leafs for making me hope you keep winning tonight.

But seriously if you could bail us out again that'd be great.

We need to win some games soon, starting with Thursday.

This slump won't last forever, and it's our first real slump this year.

Hopefully 9MM is back on Thursday that will give us a boost.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
We need to win some games soon, starting with Thursday.

This slump won't last forever, and it's our first real slump this year.

Hopefully 9MM is back on Thursday that will give us a boost.

How's the media handling the losing streak in Ottawa?

It was all sky is falling when the Leafs went winless in 5 a few weeks back or so. It was pretty disgusting how quick they are to pounce on anything they could.

Steve Simmons seemed even more smug then usual. He's been kind of quiet lately other then trying to piss off the fanbase by proclaiming the Leafs as playoff locks a few games ago.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Budaj is the perfect back up and keeps getting better, glad to have him for another 2 years.

It was all sky is falling when the Leafs went winless in 5 a few weeks back or so. It was pretty disgusting how quick they are to pounce on anything they could.

Steve Simmons seemed even more smug then usual. He's been kind of quiet lately other then trying to piss off the fanbase by proclaiming the Leafs as playoff locks a few games ago.

It's Ottawa, so it's a rough mix of distancing and cynicism. We haven't really run out of scapegoats yet though.

Red_Man

Therrien said:
Therrien says he wants to keep Pacioretty and Desharnais together but is open to changes. Outright says he wants more production.
I'll believe it when I see it.

Keslord

Banned
Read from bottom to top. Not sure if posted yet

fTBFgtw.jpg

Fans and bloggers are freaking out but I don't detect much negativity. The team has been done so well with the odds against them the whole year, it's really hard to shit on the team. They've played lately for the most part just have no luck and got screwed over by the refs yesterday.

If they keep playing like this they should start winning again.

It's Ottawa, so it's a rough mix of distancing and cynicism. We haven't really run out of scapegoats yet though.

I haven't seen much of the usual cynicism or negativity. How can you crap on the team after all they've accomplished this year with a straight face ?

I was more talking about the media.

I'm not backing off my 2nd round prediction.

I can't see a second round appearance happening unless Spezza, Michalek and Karlsson are back by the start of the playoffs and that is looking iffy right now. Plus how well will they play after injury ? Our opponent would have to seriously underestimate us which may happen but I doubt it.

P.S Nice to have a (sober) Sens fan on here to chat with, gets lonely here with the constant Habs, Leafs, Canucks chat :)

I can't see a second round appearance happening unless Spezza, Michalek and Karlsson are back by the start of the playoffs and that is looking iffy right now. Plus how well will they play after injury ? Our opponent would have to seriously underestimate us which may happen but I doubt it.

P.S Nice to have a (sober) Sens fan on here to chat with, gets lonely here with the constant Habs, Leafs, Canucks chat :)

If we win the SE first round lottery we could probably make it without Karlsson.

Habs or Pens? Probably not in any state.

Red_Man

Ryder will be playing with Gally and Eller tomorrow, I love Prust but I giving them a skilled guy who can finish should be entertaining.

If we win the SE first round lottery we could probably make it without Karlsson.

Habs or Pens? Probably not in any state.

We could definitely make Montreal shit bricks over a 6-7 game series if we were healthy. Hard to say who would win. Pittsburgh maybe not but we took them to 6 games with Brian Smelliott in net a few years ago.

I wouldn't want to face Boston (we can't seem to beat them no matter who is in the lineup).

Probably want to avoid Toronto and Montreal just because a lot of their fans should show up at SBP.

We could definitely make Montreal shit bricks over a 6-7 game series if we were healthy. Hard to say who would win. Pittsburgh maybe not but we took them to 6 games with Brian Smelliott in net a few years ago.

I wouldn't want to face Boston (we can't seem to beat them no matter who is in the lineup).

Probably want to avoid Toronto and Montreal just because a lot of their fans should show up at SBP.

However mathematically unlikely it is, an Ottawa/Toronto 1st round would be glorious for whoever wins.

Curufinwe

Bill Meltzer explains how the Flyer's whole season can be represented by the game winning goal they gave up last night to the Islanders. The same dumb mistakes happening over and over again.

The go-ahead goal scored by Michael Grabner in the second period was a microcosm of the entire season for the Flyers. A combination of bad fundamental hockey and botched execution proved fatal in a game where the Flyers had actually been playing decent hockey up to that point. Once the Flyers trailed, they never came back.

Philly got caught in a bad defensive matchup, with the Brayden Schenn line out against the John Tavares line. The Islanders pinned Philly deep in their own end of the ice for the better part of a minute and the Flyers finally took an icing. Peter Laviolette was forced to burn his team's timeout.

When play resumed, the Islanders changed lines for the offensive faceoff. The Flyers, of course, had to keep the same personnel on the ice. Philly won the defensive zone draw. Schenn carried the puck to safety up the ice. So far so good.

Schenn had plenty of opportunity to make the smart play -- dump the puck in deep, and get off the ice for a line change. Instead, he and linemate Wayne Simmonds decided to press the attack. Schenn turned the puck over, and the Islanders countered.

Things still weren't all that dangerous. The Flyers got a fresh Scott Hartnell out on the ice, and had defensemen Luke Schenn and Kimmo Timonen in position to defend. But Hartnell took himself out of position, drifting into no-man's land in the defensive zone.

When the puck made its way over to Grabner, Luke Schenn attempted to block the ensuing shot. Unfortunately for the Flyers, the defenseman was unable to come up with the block but provided Grabner with a screen on goalie Steve Mason.

Needless risk-taking. Forwards providing little to no defensive help. Defensemen coming up on the losing end of a one-on-one. A swing of momentum the other way in a previously even game. That is the Flyers' 2012-13 season in a nutshell.

Red_Man

Hopefully this means that the Eller line has fucking finally been upgraded to the second line.
They're still the third line, but they should get more ice time with the teams leading scorer playing with them. If DD and Patches could pull their head out of their asses that would be a pretty ridiculous 3 top lines.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Ryder will be playing with Gally and Eller tomorrow, I love Prust but I giving them a skilled guy who can finish should be entertaining.

He was put wit them in the 3rd yesterday when Bourque was moved up with Plekanec. The line was still the best one they had yesterday.

Hopefully this means that the Eller line has fucking finally been upgraded to the second line.

Nope. Ryder may get lucky and receive some PP time, but I bet Eller-AGally don't see any.

Solo

Well then fuck you, MT. Give your best line from the past 10 games more icetime you doofus. DD sucks shit and shouldn't be in the Top 6, and Gio isn't a Top 6 player anymore either, captain or not. DD should be on the third and same with Gio. They should be the ones getting 12 minutes a game.

I've been an MT supporter since day one, but some of his decisions recently have been questionable.

Red_Man

I'm not really sure what the love affair is with DD. It's either the coaching staff trying really hard to get his line going because they were so good last year or it's because he caters to the ignorant french fanbase. His comments give me a sliver of hope they'll be split if they keep playing like they are, but I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom