• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL April 2013 |OT| Darren Dreger: The NHL's Shane Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Crosby has a paltry 15 goals. Blake Wheeler and P.A. Parenteau have more goals than him! :lol

It's a lot easier to chalk up assists than it is to actually, you know, score a goal!

Also didn't Sid rack up 61 PP points when he hit 120 points that season?

Gotta love bandwagon Pens fans who choose what stats to trot out.

Solo

Prust out, Ryder in and Colby is a game time decision.

Habs win tonight.

I didn't think this gif would be appropriate so soon after Solo used it

32LzZ45.gif

It's a great GIF. As such, I know we'll run it into the ground between now and the playoffs :lol

TUSR

Banned
Crosby has a paltry 15 goals. Blake Wheeler and P.A. Parenteau have more goals than him! :lol

It's a lot easier to chalk up assists than it is to actually, you know, score a goal!

Do you even hockey

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

Morrow: 10 GP, 5 G, 4 A, +4

Not bad for two washed up fossils.
4 of Morrows 5 goals were in the last 2 games against the worst team in the league, and against a team that had has allowed 18 goals in their last 3 games.

It's a great GIF. As such, I know we'll run it into the ground between now and the playoffs :lol
We have to save it for when it matters in the playoffs.

3N16MA

Banned

All those assists only proves how great he actually is. He made Kunitz and Dupuis much better players while I seriously doubt Ovechkin would do the same this season. Do you really believe he pads his stats on assists because the guys to the left and right of him are lethal goal scorers without him?

sammich

Tavares is an awesome player, but I read somewhere that he's scored a comparatively high percentage of his points this season against non-playoff teams. Not sure if that's true, but if it is, it should be a bit of a concern heading into the playoffs.

EDIT: Here it is

qGQP9af.jpg

Yea.. this list is BS. Just counting AO since the discussion is mainly about him

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/gamelog/?id=4729

Just counting beginning of March when i think washington started their crazy streak and im pretty sure winnipeg was division leader, he has more goals than what is stated on the chart. So essentially this chart doesnt take into account when the games were played and the standings of the teams, just how it is now. Soo.. fucking useless just like Steve simmonds?

Jesus fuck, cube, have you actually seen the bullshit awesome blind passes and playmaking Crosby does? Pad statting my ass, he fucking earns every point he gets for good reason.

3N16MA

Banned
Crosby even scores on a higher % of his shots than Ovechkin throughout his career. Too bad he doesn't take 400-500 shots per season to rack up 50-60 goals. What's next? You're going to tell me Ovechkin is the better playmaker? Have to do better than that.

Crosby is easily the best player in the league when he's at the top of his game, although can be a bit of a whiner from time to time. Whatever problems with the Penguins have had over the past few seasons are not on him.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
No one can argue Crosby isn't the best player in the league, but calling Ovechkin "Average at best against at even strength against a decent team" is embarrassing.

ZeroGravity

These past few weeks he's been pretty dominating at even strength even if he's not scoring as much as on the PP. He's still hitting like a beast and creating a lot of offence.
It's still a small sample size though. If he can use that confidence to propel him to play better against good competition in the playoffs, that's great for him and the Capitals, but until then, everything about that team is just an illusion to me.

It's still a small sample size though. If he can use that confidence to propel him to play better against good competition in the playoffs, that's great for him and the Capitals, but until then, everything about that team is just an illusion to me.

He looked pretty dominant against the Leafs and I expect he'll have another multi-point game tonight. It's not like every win was beating on Carolina.

I knew before I looked at that G was going to be at the top. Ladies and NHL-Gaffers, I present to you the Philadelphia Flyers: the most fucking difficult to understand team in pro sports...

EDIT: Got rid of the quote because I clicked the completely wrong thing...

cube444

Crosby even scores on a higher % of his shots than Ovechkin throughout his career. Too bad he doesn't take 400-500 shots per season to rack up 50-60 goals. What's next? You're going to tell me Ovechkin is the better playmaker? Have to do better than that.

The old Crosby used to go to the net and collect dirty goals. That Crosby is gone because he knows full well a concussion will happen when he goes there now. Instead he prefers to net assists and if he was to score more his assists would come down. As for shooting, does Crosby consistently score on shots from beyond the hash marks or one-timers? The answer is no. He lacks the shot to do so, hence his shot totals are lower. He knows he'd merely be wasting chances in such a scenario so won't take the shot.

In his best season ever he had more PP points than ES points. Again, your PP argument is a joke.

I wish the Pens went to Kansas City so the bandwagons types like 90% of you guys here would be cheering for much less annoying (sense of entitlement) fan bases like Chicago, Boston, Detroit, etc.

Solo

I hate to say it, but I think the Flyers are only in the first of several down years. You guys need to almost start fresh again in a lot of ways.

I hate to say it, but I think the Flyers are only in the first of several down years. You guys need to almost start fresh again in a lot of ways.

Unless Mason some how becomes a top flight goalie you are right. The defense is terrible and always hurt, and they cant come close to scoring enough to overcome it. Need to get in the lottery.

3N16MA

Banned
The old Crosby used to go to the net and collect dirty goals. That Crosby is gone because he knows full well a concussion will happen when he goes there now. Instead he prefers to net assists and if he was to score more his assists would come down. As for shooting, does Crosby consistently score on shots from beyond the hash marks or one-timers? The answer is no. He lacks the shot to do so, hence his shot totals are lower. He knows he'd merely be wasting chances in such a scenario so won't take the shot.

In his best season ever he had more PP points than ES points. Again, your PP argument is a joke.

I wish the Pens went to Kansas City so the bandwagons types like 90% of you guys here would be cheering for much less annoying (sense of entitlement) fan bases like Chicago, Boston, Detroit, etc.

Ovechkin is not scoring consistently on those shots either unless you consider 12.1% consistent. Going back to 06-07 to point a stat on Crosby does not in any way make what I said about Ovechkin false. It's not even the same unless you can pull up the splits on his points against playoff and non playoff teams from that season. If you can and it shows that Crosby beat up on non playoff teams as lopsided as Ovechkin has this season then I will say the same thing about him.

Certainly possible.

The forwards have had a lot of issues this year, but they're the most likely to turn things around the quickest. Assuming we can keep Couturier and Read, and with Laughton coming up, they should be a lot better defensively. We've got the talent to score goals, even if that hasn't worked out great for most of the season.

Defense is going to take work to turn around. I doubt it'll happen while Kimmo's still here, which is a shame. But as much as we need a number 1 guy, they'll likely end up managing with two 2s or so.

Goaltending will never get better ever. Stolarz will eventually look like the second coming, play horrible, then get traded to some godawful team and follow Bobrovsky's path to glory.

Things'll be rocky for a few years, but I don't think we need to nuke everything we've got. Philly has some useful assets that'll be developing to build around.

cube444

Ovechkin is not scoring consistently on those shots either unless you consider 12.1% consistent. Going back to 06-07 to point a stat on Crosby does not in any way make what I said about Ovechkin false. It's not even the same unless you can pull up the splits on his points against playoff and non playoff teams from that season. If you can and it shows that Crosby beat up on non playoff teams as lopsided as Ovechkin has this season then I will say the same thing about him.

The whole notion of points versus playoff/non-playoff is also silly. Jets were in the playoffs and Ovechkin shredded them in back to back games which put them out of the playoffs. Goals/points scored against a playoff team at one point in the season might not count later on and vice versa. Ovechkin scoring 65 goals was a great feat as was Crosby getting 120 points. Why try and diminish it when they did it at the NHL level versus the best players in the world.

Even Nurse is probably out of reach. He or Jones would be great, of course. As long as we go for one of the solid defensemen left instead of another future Mike Richards, I'll be happy.

Curufinwe

Certainly possible.

The forwards have had a lot of issues this year, but they're the most likely to turn things around the quickest. Assuming we can keep Couturier and Read, and with Laughton coming up, they should be a lot better defensively. We've got the talent to score goals, even if that hasn't worked out great for most of the season.

Defense is going to take work to turn around. I doubt it'll happen while Kimmo's still here, which is a shame. But as much as we need a number 1 guy, they'll likely end up managing with two 2s or so.

Goaltending will never get better ever. Stolarz will eventually look like the second coming, play horrible, then get traded to some godawful team and follow Bobrovsky's path to glory.

Things'll be rocky for a few years, but I don't think we need to nuke everything we've got. Philly has some useful assets that'll be developing to build around.

I think this a playoff team next year.

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-Couturier-Simmonds
Read-Laughton-Gagne
Talbot-Hall-Rinaldo
Rosehill

Timonen-Schenn
Coburn-Mezaros
Grossman-Gustaffson
Ristolainen

Bryz/Mason

Solo

LOL, with how well the Habs have done, I don't know anyone in the draft outside of MacKinnon, Jones and Druin. Contrast that to last season when the Habs were in the shitter, and I had in depth knowledge of almost every first and second round pick :lol

feelsgoodman

However, I keep hearing that this is another really deep draft, and the Habs have a 1st and three 2nds, so perhaps they will be able to really stockpile the talent even moreso.

ZeroGravity

The whole notion of points versus playoff/non-playoff is also silly. Jets were in the playoffs and Ovechkin shredded them in back to back games which put them out of the playoffs. Goals/points scored against a playoff team at one point in the season might not count later on and vice versa. Ovechkin scoring 65 goals was a great feat as was Crosby getting 120 points. Why try and diminish it when they did it at the NHL level versus the best players in the world.
To be fair the Jets were a playoff team by virtue of the fact that at least one Southeast team has to be a playoff team at any given time. Realistically, they were just as bad as the rest of the division.

I dont think it necessarily diminishes a player's contribution, but it is a key area to look at if you want to forecast potential playoff success or differentiate from players who are also deserving of certain awards.

3N16MA

Banned

65 goals is a great feat in this NHL and it's Ovechkin at his best. I personally don't think it's as impressive compared to what Crosby does at his peak but when a debate between Crosby/Ovechkin comes up you have to look as some of the faults.

Solo

I think AO at his peak was a much more exciting and dynamic player than Crosby was at his peak. Crosby has the better overall career, but I think AO's best single season is more impressive than Crosby's.

I think this a playoff team next year.

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-Couturier-Simmonds
Read-Laughton-Gagne
Talbot-Hall-Rinaldo
Rosehill

Timonen-Schenn
Coburn-Mezaros
Grossman-Gustaffson
Ristolainen

Bryz/Mason

Depends if they play more like last year, or this year.

I'd like to see a top 6 with
Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Hartnell-Couturier-Simmonds

Admittedly, if Lavi's still here, should probably just bench Couturier and replace him with Rinaldo.

If the D stays healthy, could be okay. As much as I like Mez, he can't catch a break with injuries. Maybe try to sign Zaitsev (heard some rumors about interest in him) and pair him with Gus?

Bryz/Mason

Suspect goaltending will continue to be suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom