• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL April 2013 |OT| Darren Dreger: The NHL's Shane Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Thanks.

I thought you could only have 23 men on your active roster? 5 healthy scratches means the Leafs are traveling with 25 players.

Someone will come along and explain it better but apparently after the trade deadline you can have more on the roster it seems.

edit: Not a good start here.

cube444

To be fair the Jets were a playoff team by virtue of the fact that at least one Southeast team has to be a playoff team at any given time. Realistically, they were just as bad as the rest of the division.

I dont think it necessarily diminishes a player's contribution, but it is a key area to look at if you want to forecast potential playoff success or differentiate from players who are also deserving of certain awards.

It's just an imperfect way to try and discredit a player. How can you look at Stamkos' 60 goals and say they came against playoff/non-playoff teams when variables and positions change throughout a season. If it's so easy then why haven't other players hit 50 or 60 goals?

Curufinwe

The same personnel would be a playoff team with a different coach. Even if Mezaros never plays again, they have some depth now in lower tier defensemen. The main thing wrong with the Flyers this season was playing a system where defensemen constantly pinched to support a three man forecheck.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
KILL THEM OFF!

4-excited-nets-basketball-fan.gif

The same personnel would be a playoff team with a different coach. Even if Mezaros never plays again, they have some depth now in lower tier defensemen. The main thing wrong with the Flyers this season was playing a system where defensemen constantly pinched to support a three man forecheck.

I just dont see it. The offense is really erratic, and the goalie has a save percentage under 90%, even if you discount how bad the D has been I think those other things would keep them down. Lavi's system definitely hasnt done them any favors though.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
The whole notion of points versus playoff/non-playoff is also silly. Jets were in the playoffs and Ovechkin shredded them in back to back games which put them out of the playoffs. Goals/points scored against a playoff team at one point in the season might not count later on and vice versa. Ovechkin scoring 65 goals was a great feat as was Crosby getting 120 points. Why try and diminish it when they did it at the NHL level versus the best players in the world.

One is Russian and one is Canadian.

I like Lavi a lot, but he seems best suited to motivating a team that's ready. We've got younger guys that could use some...coaching.

Not sure who's available I'd prefer, admittedly. Have a feeling if he goes it'll jump to Murray. Ugh.

edit: Too much non-Flyers talk. You'd think there was a game going on or something.

Cake Boss

Banned
Their defense is awful and their goaltending sucks. Those aren't quick fixes. Doesn't matter how many you can score when you can't keep pucks out of your own net.

Majority of their fixes are on their IR list and maybe a trade or signing away from one.

As for the goaltending, it hasn't been the issue this year, but also not part of the solution, their last win was the first game a goalie other than Bryz won a game for them this season. Mason finally gives them an NHL backup to use and an alternative to use.

They are 5 points out of the playoffs with a majority of their D our for their season, some of their forwards underachieving and not having a reliable backup all season long. Its not that far fetched to see them make it if their D is healthy, their forwards play to their standard and Mason becomes a better goalie than Leighton/Boucher.

They will make the playoffs next year if they are healthy. their situation is similar to Montreal a year ago with the injuries and distractions in the locker room or Ottawa the year before.

I do however think they need a coaching change, he doesn't instil a system suitable to his defence which consists of big body guys that play more a physical game than a finesse one.

Majority of their fixes are on their IR list and maybe a trade or signing away from one.

As for the goaltending, it hasn't been the issue this year, but also not part of the solution, their last win was the first game a goalie other than Bryz won a game for them this season. Mason finally gives them an NHL backup to use and an alternative to use.

They are 5 points out of the playoffs with a majority of their D our for their season, some of their forwards underachieving and not having a reliable backup all season long. Its not that far fetched to see them make it if their D is healthy, their forwards play to their standard and Mason becomes a better goalie than Leighton/Boucher.

They will make the playoffs next year if they are healthy. their situation is similar to Montreal a year ago with the injuries and distractions in the locker room or Ottawa the year before.

The Flyers do not have a #1 defenseman on their roster, hurt or not. I also dont see how you can say goaltending hasnt been a problem this year. They have looked like a different team with Mason in net. Bryz has terrible numbers and has definitely cost them way more games then he has won for them.

Montresor

Jesus I think both fights destroyed all four of its partipants.

Orr with the bloody nose but he performed some heavy work on Boulton too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom