• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL April 2013 |OT| Darren Dreger: The NHL's Shane Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Markstrom doing the King Henrik dance after the win
tCDUsCe.gif

If Philips ever gets a hattrick, I will blow a moose in the woods.
tumblr_lzklnpa8IM1qcnzaso1_500.gif

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Orr, McLaren, Hamilton, Kostka and Gardiner are the projected scratches tonight.

Potential lineup:

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Kulemin
McClement-Grabovski-Komarov
Macarthur-Colborne-Frattin

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Franson-Fraser
O'Bryne-Liles

Reimer

Imagine if Toronto and it's media and fans were just across the Ottawa River

You'd be annoyed on the daily.

You guys are the "young" fanbase squished in between a bunch of teams with long traditions. In my experience most hockey "families" are Rangers/Flyers/Isles fans. The Devils fans are the people who had a kid that started playing hockey and were like "Eh, why not?" There is often very little respect for the sport's history, and little interest in teams other than the Devs.

I've often tried to explain to other people that in hockey, not having proper respect for the other guy (while still violently hating everything about them) is the sign that someone isn't a true fan. Apparently there are studies out there showing hockey fans are the most likely to not be interested in other sports. I think that says a lot about the fandom. You're expected to be a fan of the sport as well as your team. In my experience the Devils fanbase really sucks in that regard.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I said yesterday that Tinordi should replace Markov for the final two games to give him a rest, it may happen. I don't think Tinordi could do worse in the D zone.

I'd like to see both Beaulieu and Tinordi in. Weber out because I'm sure one of them can play at least as well, and Markov getting rest. Whomever plays best stays in for the playoffs, although we would need Tinordi's strengths more than Beaulieu.

I wouldn't be agaisnt Prust sitting to make sure he's fully healed as well, but they could use him if they're still trying to win the division.

Canes played tough last night so they might be able to pull it through.

The salt in New Jersey is sky high after what happened this season. It's not fun to be a Devils fan when the Rangers beat us because a shit ton of Rangers fans are from New Jersey.

Kinda like the Ottawa-Leafs rivalry but worse.

I went to a buffalo wild wings for Game 6 of Rangers/Devils last year and man the Rangers fans were annoying. Seriously looked like a group that came from Staten Island to central NJ to go eat.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
I went to a buffalo wild wings for Game 6 of Rangers/Devils last year and man the Rangers fans were annoying. Seriously looked like a group that came from Staten Island to central NJ to go eat.

Ranger fans also flood opposing stadiums regularly because they are priced out of tickets to see their own team at the Garden. Any given night, half the people there are companies entertaining clients or rich wall street type frat boys.

Go to an islanders/lightning game at the Coliseum or a Devils/Leafs game at the Rock, and marvel at how many douchebags wear Ranger jerseys just because. Such dicks.

also, theyre super salty about Isles clinching and (likely) finishing higher than them this year. Bitterness all over social media and in the streets if youre wearing Islanders gear in NYC.

Ranger fans also flood opposing stadiums regularly because they are priced out of tickets to see their own team at the Garden. Any given night, half the people there are companies entertaining clients or rich wall street type frat boys.

Go to an islanders/lightning game at the Coliseum or a Devils/Leafs game at the Rock, and marvel at how many douchebags wear Ranger jerseys just because. Such dicks.

Oh absolutely I've noticed this too. Every time i go to a Leafs/Devils game there's always some dude in a Rangers jersey heckling the Devils in some way. But I guess that's why Devils fans still chant 'RANGERS SUCK!' even when they aren't playing them.

Osorio

You guys are the "young" fanbase squished in between a bunch of teams with long traditions. In my experience most hockey "families" are Rangers/Flyers/Isles fans. The Devils fans are the people who had a kid that started playing hockey and were like "Eh, why not?" There is often very little respect for the sport's history, and little interest in teams other than the Devs.

I've often tried to explain to other people that in hockey, not having proper respect for the other guy (while still violently hating everything about them) is the sign that someone isn't a true fan. Apparently there are studies out there showing hockey fans are the most likely to not be interested in other sports. I think that says a lot about the fandom. You're expected to be a fan of the sport as well as your team. In my experience the Devils fanbase really sucks in that regard.

So you're telling me the fanbase whose only dedicated media sites are blogs on NJ.com and Northjersey.com and it's Twitter often doesn't know about the history of the sport or other teams in the league?

If it's hard to find out anything about your own team why would you give a shit about the others?

And trust me we get to find out about the history of the Rangers and Flyers often.

also, theyre super salty about Isles clinching and (likely) finishing higher than them this year. Bitterness all over social media and in the streets if youre wearing Islanders gear in NYC.

Would be the same in Toronto if we had other teams within half an hour drive

3N16MA

Banned
Didn't realize the Sens still have Boston and the Caps (forgot about the postponed game). The game against Philly is big if the Jets can get past the Habs and the Sens can't get anything against the Caps.

Cat Party

Why does it seem like Ovechkin is getting snubbed for the Hart? There is no doubt he should win it. The team has won and lost on his play this year.

Though I guess the Hart has lost all meaning ever since they gave it to Perry.

Stasis

My dad's Jersey born, whole side of the family is out there, though he moved to NYC in his 20's and has cheered for all NYC teams his whole life. He moved back out to Jersey recently, and all we've ever seen from Devils fans is just massive bitterness about everything. They always madly desire that the Rangers lose even when it has nothing to do with them. It's... interesting. The only fuck I give about anything Devils related is not wanting to ever be anywhere near Newark, or if they can eliminate us from the playoffs.

I respect the shit out of Marty though. I don't care that it'd be his 4th, I'd still be happy for the dude if they won it again with him in nets.

My dad's Jersey born, whole side of the family is out there, though he moved to NYC in his 20's and has cheered for all NYC teams his whole life. He moved back out to Jersey recently, and all we've ever seen from Devils fans is just massive bitterness about everything. They always madly desire that the Rangers lose even when it has nothing to do with them. It's... interesting. The only fuck I give about anything Devils related is not wanting to ever be anywhere near Newark, or if they can eliminate us from the playoffs.

I respect the shit out of Marty though. I don't care that it'd be his 4th, I'd still be happy for the dude if they won it again with him in nets.

As a Jersey native I don't have Newark hate a lot of other people do, but Devils fans suck... as a general rule of course. You peeps in here are aight.

Stasis

As a Jersey native I don't have Newark hate a lot of other people do, but Devils fans suck... as a general rule of course. You peeps in here are aight.

My experiences are actually limited despite growing up in NYC, but Newark to me has always just been a city that's entirely varying degrees of ghetto. I haven't experienced a finer side, lol.

ShaneB

Why does it seem like Ovechkin is getting snubbed for the Hart? There is no doubt he should win it. The team has won and lost on his play this year.

Though I guess the Hart has lost all meaning ever since they gave it to Perry.

IMO Ovi should be a lock for the Hart. He ramps up to his old self and arguably the best player in the league, and the caps shoot into a playoff spot after their horrendous start. That's what MVP's do.

Cat Party

IMO Ovi should be a lock for the Hart. He ramps up to his old self and arguably the best player in the league, and the caps shoot into a playoff spot after their horrendous start. That's what MVP's do.
Exactly. But even smart guys like Le Brun are ignoring him for some reason.

ZeroGravity

Exactly. But even smart guys like Le Brun are ignoring him for some reason.
Because when you actually break down his numbers, they're not really as impressive as some other players. And he actually plays with a far better supporting cast than others who might get a nomination (Tavares, Bobrovsky, etc).

Because when you actually break down his numbers, they're not really as impressive as some other players. And he actually plays with a far better supporting cast than others who might get a nomination (Tavares, Bobrovsky, etc).

I agree somewhat. Ovechkin is carrying a team that went to the second round last year. Where were the Islanders and Blue Jackets last year?

Plus the Caps did not have a good start to the season. Has Ovechkin been the best player in the league during the past couple months? Yes. Is that enough for the Hart? Maybe. Perry won it with a strong second half that vaulted the Ducks into the playoffs.

But if Ovechkin is considered for playing well for half the season, what about Crosby then? He was the best player in the league for 36 games until he got hurt.

toro5741

Islanders playoff tix just disappeared. Cant find two seats together anywhere but on stubhub.

The bandwagon is overflowing.

Grabbed 2 tix for the first home game this afternoon... the old barn should be rocking!

Tavares is doing the same with less of a team around him. I think he deserves it.

The Islanders surge in the standings has probably had more to do with the Bailey - Nielsen - Okposo line more than anything else. Tavares is the man, but he won't win the Hart trophy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom