• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL April 2014 |OT| Waiting for the playoff thread...

Hunter S.

I'm actually not saying this because it would help the Leafs chances but because I think it'd make the game better and teams going for it more.

My proposal would be cut the OT loss point and cut the shootout. After that I don't know yet. Sudden death OT in November doesn't sound very appealing but you can change the rules of OT enough to increase the likelihood of a winning goal and have them play until that happens.

4 on 4 for a minute to 3 on 3 for a minute to 2 on 2 for 3 minutes or whatever. Shootouts are boring as shit and irrelevant as you mentioned. Someone can figure out a better way. NFL, NBA, MLB all have a winner or a loser at the end of the game.

The NHL used to do this not too long ago. Then fans used to complain that teams got nothing for tying a game and then only losing in the five minute overtime. It is much better now that teams get rewarded for tying a game I think by far. Though I agree with you the shootout should go. I think it is fun as fuck to watch, but it prevents teams from trying to win a game. I doubt the NHL will take away the point for tying system while I can easily see the shootout leaving.

The NHL used to do this not too long ago. Then fans used to complain that teams got nothing for tying a game and then only losing in the five minute overtime. It is much better now that teams get rewarded for tying a game I think by far. Though I agree with you the shootout should go. I think it is fun as fuck to watch, but it prevents teams from trying to win a game. I doubt the NHL will take away the point for tying system while I can easily see the shootout leaving.
You could always do something like the NFL in that although a tie is technically possible, it is very unlikely due to the way the rules are set out.

Just thinking out loud with maybe a 10 minute OT. 4 on 4 all the way down to 2 on 2 (although 2 on 2 may be a bit of a circus and maybe 3 on 3 would be the sweet spot) until someone gets a goal. If no one has a goal at the end of 10 minutes then it is a rare tie.

The problem with this is I don't know if it would be as effective if the players go into it knowing they get a point for an OT loss regardless. If the OT loss point wasn't in the picture, could you then imagine a 3 on 3 in that format? Would be infinitely more entertaining than the current system and at the end of the day you have a winner and a loser.

We need to restart the podcast at some point. Those were fun as hell to do. I forgot a ton of what was in them so I've been skipping around a bunch of those and it's been cracking me up for the last couple hours.

Still my favorite part of everything we did. :lol :lol

I actually have a decent mic for my PC finally so I could be a guest!!!

With everyone winning yesterday and us playing the worst team in the league, we better not screw this up tonight. Of course we can't win 4 in a row and we'll take Buffalo lightly and they'll win 3-1. DON'T SCREW THIS UP DETROIT!!

But Datsyuk is back so yay!!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I actually have a decent mic for my PC finally so I could be a guest!!!

With everyone winning yesterday and us playing the worst team in the league, we better not screw this up tonight. Of course we can't win 4 in a row and we'll take Buffalo lightly and they'll win 3-1. DON'T SCREW THIS UP DETROIT!!

But Datsyuk is back so yay!!
Knowing Buffalo, you'll somehow beat them and get 4 points out of it to screw us...Buffalo always screwing the Leafs.

zroid

Banned
Fuck you too, Zeer0id.

tumblr_inline_mnms1rg3sa1qz4rgp.gif

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So I was wrong, because the Leafs won last night the Rangers can't clinch today with a Caps loss as the Leafs can technically theoretically get to 92 points while the Rangers are sitting on 91.

A win of any kind against Ottawa tomorrow clinches. Alternatively, a Caps regulation loss tonight and any manner of Leafs loss tomorrow clinches a spot for the Rangers.

kingslunk

Playoffs are getting me hyped. Just make it this year Dallas. FFS don't repeat the same mistake 6 years in a fucking row.

There was a lot behind the simple assessment Carlyle provided after Reimer stopped 10 of 11 Bruins shots in relief on Thursday night.

“Good for him,” he said. “We needed that and he needed that. It’s great.”

Lol, it's like pulling teeth for Carlyle to give Reimer some sort of compliment.

You could always do something like the NFL in that although a tie is technically possible, it is very unlikely due to the way the rules are set out.

Just thinking out loud with maybe a 10 minute OT. 4 on 4 all the way down to 2 on 2 (although 2 on 2 may be a bit of a circus and maybe 3 on 3 would be the sweet spot) until someone gets a goal. If no one has a goal at the end of 10 minutes then it is a rare tie.

The problem with this is I don't know if it would be as effective if the players go into it knowing they get a point for an OT loss regardless. If the OT loss point wasn't in the picture, could you then imagine a 3 on 3 in that format? Would be infinitely more entertaining than the current system and at the end of the day you have a winner and a loser.

I'd much rather just see the current system with 3pts for a Reg Win, 2pts for a OT/SO Win, 1pt for a OT/SO loss.

A fair number of tied games go into OT/SO in a really shitty, boring manner because both teams just play trap / turtle defense to ensure at least a single point.

ShaneB

Playoffs are getting me hyped. Just make it this year Dallas. FFS don't repeat the same mistake 6 years in a fucking row.

Caps aren't looking like they'll get in, but yeah, I'm still hyped for the playoffs to finally start soon, all I hope is for entertaining matchups each round.

I have jury duty in three weeks. If this in anyway interferes with my playoff watching I am going to be fucking pissed.
Just show up in a Hawaiian shirt, hot pants and flip flops. Then proclaim that there is "no crime that can't be solved with love." Works every time.

yyzjohn

Banned
I have jury duty in three weeks. If this in anyway interferes with my playoff watching I am going to be fucking pissed.

If it's anything like my experience, you'll be out of court each day before 4pm, no interference with hockey at all.

Gillis is a fucking cunt. Can't stand the dbag. I'd fire his ass over Torts any day. Was just listening to his radio interview on Sportsnet.

6 games, 6 points is what we need (I guess we need 93 technically but I doubt Washington or anyone else will win the rest of there games). Today is a perfect time for a let down game but Datsyuk is back so I think the team will pull it off today. Let's do it!

Heretic

Holy selective bullshit batman. The Leafs have two fewer ROW than the Wings. And four more SO wins. What exactly are you proposing that would be both fair and somehow benefit the Leafs playoff chances? OT losses are worth nothing but SO wins are worth 2 points? Really? Congratulations to the Leafs on not being able to make it past regulation before losing. They must deserve some kind of fucking sticker. And congratulations for being exceptional at the shootout, a metric which has little relevance to how the previous 65 minutes were played. Here's another sticker. No playoff spot, though.

FridayDAAAAAAAAAAAAMN.gif

zroid

Banned
Bernier out 3 weeks minimum

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

yyzjohn

Banned

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

See you in October!

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Bernier out 3 weeks

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

April :(

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

i7kjlvneLM7kp.gif

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

He's only going to miss a week's worth of games, though.

yyzjohn

Banned
If the Leafs miss the playoffs, I imagine the focus will be on:

1. The NHL's point system.
  2. Bernier's injury.

Leafs did it to themselves. Losing 8 in a row in regulation is a death sentence. Even if they had lost 2 of those games in OT, they'd at least be in a wildcard spot right now. Still a tenuous one but better than being on the outs with 4 games left.

Cake Boss

Banned

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I havent used this in a while, this is the most appropriate time.

iiFsqoNBvj1ka.gif

yyzjohn

Banned
toronto will win the next 3...and then ottawa will knock them out of the playoffs in the last game.

You are a hateful man.

Even if the Leafs do win the next 3, they still need Columbus to lose a few games. It's not in the Leafs hands.

Seriously though, it's for the best. Get rid of Carlyle, make a few roster moves and move forward.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
You are a hateful man.

Even if the Leafs do win the next 3, they still need Columbus to lose a few games. It's not in the Leafs hands.

Seriously though, it's for the best. Get rid of Carlyle, make a few roster moves and move forward.

And to add to it... The blue jackets start their game next Wednesday up 1-0

Razorskin

----- ------
You are a hateful man.

Sign Bolland 6 years 5 million per year.

yyzjohn

Banned
I like to think that everything Razor posts now McGuire is incredibly psyched to read, all while retaining his patented sex-offender-like awkwardness.

LOL, I couldn't look at that McGuire avatar of him sticking his head forward without thinking he was looking at a chiseled naked body.

Top Bottom