• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL April 2014 |OT| Waiting for the playoff thread...

Tabris

I forgot the name of the Maple Leafs fan who always gives me a hard time. I realized it wasn't Quick and somebody else.

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2014/04/canucks-post-game-sixpack-quinn-linden/

Really damning interviews by Linden and Quinn. Looks like they really disagreed with Tort's coaching, especially Pat Quinn.

Linden
Were the Sedins misused this year?

“I think you have to use your people where they will best excel, and good coaches understand that. I haven’t talked to John about it. I think most people would say you put your best offensive players in the most offensive positions you can.”

Was it a good idea to use the twins to block shots and kill penalties?

“It’s one of those things where I probably felt personally it was a misuse of their abilities, but I’d have to dig deeper into it.”

Quinn
Why did the Canucks perform so badly this year?

“During the first part of the year, (the Canucks) played (their) veterans until their noses were bleeding, and then we started to hit the injuries. I talked to (team doctor) Mike Bernstein and he said the injuries are terrible. He said so many of them are coming from the blocked shots and they’re fractures, and they’re not easily healed.”

Torts is probably very likely fired.

^

Good thing our stars are still elite defensive players also, it's nice to have those offensive only guys, but it is even better when they can kill PK's and are good at it.

And Oiler fans, as I will be there.

Then driving 2.5 hours north to see Smytty lose for the last time as an Oiler tomorrow.

#TANK4SMYTTY

Curufinwe

I hope this part of a push back against excessive shot blocking. Possibly stopping a goal in a regular season game is not worth breaking your bones.

After all those concussions he probably doesn't even dress himself anymore.

I think Primeau and Pronger actually have much worse ongoing side effects. Lindros came thru all the concussions quite well from what I've read.

I have Sakic and Forsberg old away sweaters. I'll probably go with home or a third.

Last jersey I got was a third Anderson, I got burned on that one. The thirds are nice, I really wish we would change our home and away, I hate the apron stripes. I'd go with a Landeskog. You have a Sakic (captain) and a Forsberg (Swede), why not combine them? :p

Last jersey I got was a 3rd Anderson, I got burned on that one. The thirds are nice, I really wish we would change our home and away. I hate the apron stripes. I'd go with a Landeskog. You have a Sakic (captain) and a Forsberg (Swede), why not combine them? :p

I'm for a redesign but I have seen so many fucking awful mockups of redesigns for the avs that I'm beginning to believe it's impossible to make something better.

zroid

Banned
I dunno man, he picks on me way more than you guys ;\

I think "liking the Jets" while being a Leafs fan strikes a particular chord

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Adam Oates said:
I've studied the position. I've met with a lot of people and studied the position. I'm a head coach of a team: My job is to know every position. I never played D but I know D, so I know goaltending.

Are you okay Coldnoodle, don't jump

Erdrick

I dunno man, he picks on me way more than you guys ;\

I think "liking the Jets" while being a Leafs fan strikes a particular chord

Your existence likely confuses him.

It's ironic, because the reason he hates the Jets is pretty much the same as to why I hate the Leafs. If I recall what he said on one of the podcasts, anyway.

It is what it is though. If everyone liked the same things, this place would be boring.

I'm for a redesign but I have seen so many fucking awful mockups of redesigns for the avs that I'm beginning to believe it's impossible to make something better.

There have been some absolutely terrible ones. I just think we should keep it simple, go back something similar to what we had.

0618-danieldougherty-col2.png

0618-danieldougherty-col1.png

I like the top one, though I would go with the square shoulder yoke that New Jersey/Minnesota do. Whoever designed the away Minnesota jersey would be a good person to hire, those things look great.

Are you okay Coldnoodle, don't jump

When a key free agent or a player with a no-trade clause — one who can name what teams he will play for — is available, the Capitals intentionally aren’t on the list, one NHL agent explained.

“It’s hostile,” another agent said. “Why would anyone encourage their client to play there when the organization intentionally makes it incredibly difficult to work with them?”

Oates believes his unrelenting attention to detail expands skillsets, thereby making players more valuable to themselves and the team. But after two seasons of constant tweaks, the line between productive and meddlesome may have blurred.

“He wants you to play a specific way and that taps into things guys have done consistently for years and years and now he wants you to switch,” Alzner said. “When you’re doing it, it works and it’s great, but it’s hard to change your game that much — to tamper with things you’ve done the same way for so many years.”

KILL MEEEEEEEEEE

ShaneB

That loss to the Habs in the first round really messed with them. They've been trying to change their style ever since.

It happens to a few teams. A hot playoff run makes a team think they can keep doing it without changes, and it doesn't work. Or a hot regular season team continually thinks it can perform in the playoffs, and it never works.

Giggzy

I'm so conflicted about whether of not I want the Ducks to try and get the #1 seed. Home ice throughout the western conference will be so nice, especially with the way we've played at home... But.... Dallas first round? Sigh. If we win that series there is no way we do it without injuries.

Giggzy

Every time this gets said Lehtonen gets brought up and that's about it.

Lehtonen is a frightening goalie to go up against but with our offensive power I'm not really worried about that. Dallas plays an extremely physical game. You won't get past them without some injuries.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Lehtonen is a frightening goalie to go up against but with our offensive power I'm not really worried about that. Dallas plays an extremely physical game. You won't get past them without some injuries.

I don't remember them being all that physical against Montreal.

Samyy

I thought they were more of a run and gun type of team

Giggzy

Maybe they just hate the Ducks? I have this phobia for a reason damnit!

Now that we took Robidas from them it won't be as bad.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Geoff Molson said:
I'm not going to get involved in coaching decisions. PK is young, he's improved and he will continue to progress to become one of the best defencemen in the league
Good to hear someone up top give him the recognition he deserves.

calder

Oh my god, I just listened to the Hockey Central podcast from today. Doug Maclean getting the majority of the air time really allowed him to shine and rocket up the "dumbest motherfucker in hockey" standings. His defense of Carlyle is just hilarious - like so many in the media basically if you ever won a Cup you are forever brilliant no matter how obviously you've been sucking at your job since.

Samyy

Oh my god, I just listened to the Hockey Central podcast from today. Doug Maclean getting the majority of the air time really allowed him to shine and rocket up the "dumbest motherfucker in hockey" standings. His defense of Carlyle is just hilarious - like so many in the media basically if you ever won a Cup you are forever brilliant no matter how obviously you've been sucking at your job since.

He likes to always shift the blame to the players and away from management. Fancy that.

ZeroGravity

Enjoy 10 years of this on a national level.

Spl1nter

I usually like Tim and Sid but today Sid said he would feel bad if Carlyle got fired. The mainstream media is all jumping to his defense right now for some reason. If they have looked at anything from Mirtle or the bloggers from the past few months than they should know he will be fired based on his own merit.

Top Bottom