• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL April 2014 |OT| Waiting for the playoff thread...

Samyy

THIS IS DREAM

CAKE BOSS, QUICK, DSTRDL, SAMYY

IT'S HAPPENING

Hertl1.gif

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=713861&navid=DL|NHL|home

NHL.com Power Rankings, now based on advanced stats

Man, their comments on Brian Boyle in the "disappointments" section for the Rangers are utterly boggling and tell me that they must barely be paying attention to the games. Boyle has been a vital part of what has become one of the best 4th lines in the NHL and a huge part of a PK that is 93.8% with 7 shorthanded goals in the last 19 games. He's slow as shit, couldn't hit the net even if it was twice as big, and is a giant pussycat, but he's been an excellent defensive forward all season. He rarely shows up on the scoresheet, and he's rarely going to be a guy you talk about the next day, but he's been an important role player for the team.

You want to talk about disappointments? How is Michael Del Zotto doing in Nashville right now?

Holiday

Banned
Things went bleak so fast for the Blues. The Miller trade is turning out to be such an L. All I want at this point is for Ott, Morrow, and Berglund to all be gone forever on July 1st.

zedge

Yep, I've really liked some of the things the Flames have done this year, I don't think they'll be terribly improved in the standings next year but the rebuild may actually not be as long or painful as I would have thought this time last year.

I feel like Flames and Jets fans should have a summit this summer, where basically everyone gets drunk and laughs at how awful the Oilers are and takes great joy in what happened to the Canucks and Leafs. I'm booking my hotel for the conference now! ;)

If I had endless time at work instead of nearly endless time, I'd love to sit down and hash out a definitive "biggest asshat in hockey media" list. Make a category for print, one for TV/radio, etc. But I'd have to do it soon, if only so I could give the Damien Cox Memorial Award for Print Douchbaggery to Damien Cox in his last year of eligibility.

Off the top of my head morons:
- Cox
- Simmons
- Lawless
- PJ Stock
- Mclean/Kipper
- 90% of the former players on any NHL panel in Canada
I could get behind this. :) Watched some of the oilers game last night. These guys have packed it in, pathetic.

ZeroGravity

Damian Cristodero ‏@LightningTimes
Vasilevskiy's season in Russia ended today. Yzerman has said Lightning would like to sign him as soon as possible.

Yzerman reiterated he wants to sign Vasilevskiy "as soon as possible," even before the April 30 expiration of his contract, if Ufa agrees.
IT'S HAPPENING

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=713861&navid=DL|NHL|home

NHL.com Power Rankings, now based on advanced stats:

1. Boston
2. SJ
3. Chicago
4. LA
5. St.Louis
6. Anaheim
7. NYR
8. Pittsburgh
9. Colorado
10. Detroit
11. Montreal
12. Tampa
13. Columbus
14. Dallas
15. Minnesota
16. Philadelphia

Decimated Wings 4th best team in the loleast.

Disappointment: Ken Holland had too many players and wasn't able to offload the ones necessary for Nyquist to spend the entire season in the NHL. If it weren't for all the injuries, there would have been some hard choices to make this season.

All of our injuries were a blessing in disguise and this hits that right on the head. Maybe this will finally be that turning point that Holland needs to see that some vets are not worth keeping even for their leadership skills. Also like the little bit on Luke. Kid was mostly just a plug but showed he has a lot of heart and a knack for shutting down other teams top guys on the PK and 5v5. He has earned Babs trust and really is Clear 2.0 back when Cleary could you know, actually skate.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
O'Neill might be the dumbest guy in front of mic I've ever heard when it comes to talking about the game - and I'm taking Steve Simmons and Damien Cox into consideration.
O'Neil is like a much dumber version of Aaron Ward, which is impressive.

AGally out for at leasat the first round.......with Prust and Moen also out, we now have a SERIOUS left wing problem. We go from Pacioretty to Gionta (RW playing on his wrong wing) to Bourque (as useless as an asshole on your elbow) to Bournival (rookie with 0 games playoff experience).
Where did you read this? AFAIK Prust & Moen will be back for the playoffs. The bigger issue is the fact that Therrien insist on using the leagues worst defesneman when we have Beaulieu rotting in the minors.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
In other news, the Rangers want to re-sign Benoit Pouliot (he's on a 1 year deal currently), and Pouliot wants to stay with the Rangers. So that's good news.

After being frustratingly inconsistent in the first two months of the season (I'm being super generous here), since about mid-December Pouliot has played his way into being a must sign for next season. He has twice put up career high 7 game point scoring streaks, one of which is currently ongoing. He also has the top Corsi rating among forwards on the team.

Who'd have expected that?

Solo

O'Neil is like a much dumber version of Aaron Ward, which is impressive.

Where did you read this? AFAIK Prust & Moen will be back for the playoffs. The bigger issue is the fact that Therrien insist on using the leagues worst defesneman when we have Beaulieu rotting in the minors.

John Lu during the game last night said Prust is skating with the team now and HOPEFUL for the playoffs and Moen isn't even skating with concussion symptoms, and that with AGally out, LW depth is now Patches -> Gio (who played with Pleks and BGally last night) -> Bourque -> Bournival. Yikes.

Red_Man

John Lu during the game last night said Prust is skating with the team now and HOPEFUL for the playoffs and Moen isn't even skating with concussion symptoms, and that with AGally out, LW depth is now Patches -> Gio (who played with Pleks and BGally last night) -> Bourque -> Bournival. Yikes.
Ah, I see. I missed that, but I'm pretty confident Prust will be back. Moen isn't a huge loss, and Bourque has played really well these past 3 games or so. It probably won't continue but hopefully he can maintain it. Eller can play LW too once he's back if need be, he can be on a shutdown line with Pleks, while Briere centers an offensive line.

Solo

Lindros always wanted to a Hab. Seriously though, he said in that ESPN piece a year ago that if he'd been drafted by Montreal instead of Quebec, he would have played there.

What could have been. With LeClair still there, WE would have had the two important thirds of the LoD line.

Roflobear

This new spotify design is really nice.

Yea but it keeps crashing for me on iPhone. Why can't they make a nice app that works? Why does it have to be one or the other?

In other news, the Rangers want to re-sign Benoit Pouliot (he's on a 1 year deal currently), and Pouliot wants to stay with the Rangers. So that's good news.

After being frustratingly inconsistent in the first two months of the season (I'm being super generous here), since about mid-December Pouliot has played his way into being a must sign for next season. He has twice put up career high 7 game point scoring streaks, one of which is currently ongoing. He also has the top Corsi rating among forwards on the team.

Who'd have expected that?

Yea I'm happy to hear this. I hope Boyle and Doninic Moore get the same treatment too. I wanna keep that 4th line intact

Yea but it keeps crashing for me on iPhone. Why can't they make a nice app that works? Why does it gotta be one or the other?

Yea I'm happy to hear this. I hope Boyle and Doninic Moore get the same treatment too. I wanna keep that 4th line intact

Maybe try rebooting or removing Spotify and reinstalling?

Been extremely solid for me

yyzjohn

Banned
Wow that is amazing. Interesting way to use your spare time :p

What a waste of time. Can't you pretty much track any multi-player trade and keep going as to a) was traded for b) and c), b) and c) were traded for d), e), f), ...and so on. I'm sure you can build a ludicrous list of "tracing" players for pretty much any multi-player deal in history.

Red_Man

I enjoy how all the guys who hate advanced stats refer to people who acknowledge them as nerds.

LX_Theo

Banned
The Avs are successful because they are built for how they get things done. Score first and play strong team defense including goalie and forwards regardless of how many shots that means. If they get behind, they have the firepower and team culture to keep them in most games they play.

Acid08

Banned
The Avs are successful because they are built for how they get things done. Score first and play strong team defense including goalie and forwards regardless of how many shots that means. If they get behind, they have the firepower and team culture to keep them in most games they play.
The playoffs will still be a huge test for them. No doubt Roy has the experience as a player to try to prepare them but you never know. How many of their players were on the 2010 team?

Giggzy

I agree. They're also extremely fast on the counter so they'll bury you if you make a mistake in the offensive/neutral zone.

LX_Theo

Banned
The playoffs will still be a huge test for them. No doubt Roy has the experience as a player to try to prepare them but you never know. How many of their players were on the 2010 team?
Very true. The playoffs for them could go any way for them. Anyone trying to predict it going any one way is being foolish.

As for players on their last playoff team... The big ones would be Duchene, Stastny, and O'Reilly. Given how much turnover there has been, probably no one else too.

I honestly don't know what to expect out of this team in the post season. We've had our meltdowns and our nights of not giving any fucks, but overwhelmingly we've stayed with the games that we get down in and find ways to win. There has been no shortage of intensity in the group, but those few meltdown games still linger in the back of my mind. Our defensive core is really where the question marks land the most.

edit: I think one of the more impressive things about this season is how well the Avs have responded to losing Duchene who is a PPG player this season. The emergence of Barrie as a clutch player has also been a huge highlight.

Tabris

How about a ban bet? Permaban, even. If the Ducks/Wings/Avs win it all, I get permabanned. If the Ducks/Wings/Avs DON'T win it all, you get permabanned.

Deal?

I would take this if it also applied to Marvie, Dastardly, 19&21, Red_Man, wsox, Templar, Cake Boss, and throw in Smiley for good measure :)

Top Bottom