• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL April 2014 |OT| Waiting for the playoff thread...

10010812_844949535520378_7772690387626090644_o.jpg

Roy at the end of last nights game, he looks so happy that Varlamov broke his record.

Not infallible? Well as long as you have a realistic benchmark for useful data. comeonson.jpg

The resistance to advanced stats in NHL GAF always surprises me a bit. But then I remember that, despite my for some reason thinking regulars in this thread have a pretty good baseline of hockey knowledge I see ppl talking about plus/minus like it's a thing that has actual value in player evaluation.

I look forward to my first appearance on the podcast, where I refuse to let Marvie hang up the Skype call until he welcomes CF% into his heart.
The Avs are a perfect example of why advanced stats are misleading. They score the first goal of the game a lot, when that happens you're going to sit back a little more. So all year pundits can say "Oh that's unsustainable! They can't keep that up." Though when they are down a goal they are like bees on honey, they work hard to tie the game. Not to mention it's not indicative of quality of shots. Other teams take a ton of shots from the outside on us, but we tend to be more patient with the puck and have better quality scoring chances. Plus we're so damn fast they have a lot of odd man rushes to work with.

Not infallible? Well as long as you have a realistic benchmark for useful data. comeonson.jpg

The resistance to advanced stats in NHL GAF always surprises me a bit. But then I remember that, despite my for some reason thinking regulars in this thread have a pretty good baseline of hockey knowledge I see ppl talking about plus/minus like it's a thing that has actual value in player evaluation.

I look forward to my first appearance on the podcast, where I refuse to let Marvie hang up the Skype call until he welcomes CF% into his heart.
What? All I'm saying is there are areas where they simply do not shed any light on. Avs and their success is one of them. I think it's useful in other circumstances.

calder

Our last game tonight in Calgary. Win in regulation, Flames, thanks!

Oh and fuck off Canucks, you assholes better get at least one point in the last two games. Trying to jack our 7th slot in the lottery at the end of the year is a dick move. Carolina could win a couple of games too, the jerks.

zedge

Oh and fuck off Canucks, you assholes better get at least one point in the last two games. Trying to jack our 7th slot in the lottery at the end of the year is a dick move. Carolina could win a couple of games too, the jerks.
Should be a good game. Will be lots of Jets fans there.

What? All I'm saying is there are areas where they simply do not shed any light on. Avs and their success is one of them. I think it's useful in other circumstances.

Not really speaking fully to advanced stats, but who even knows if the Av's game is sustainable in the playoffs? The Blues played a very different game a year ago, two years ago that did very well in the regular season but fell flat on its ass in the playoffs against teams like LA.

Not really speaking fully to advanced stats, but who even knows if the Av's game is sustainable in the playoffs? The Blues played a very different game a year ago, two years ago that did very well in the regular season but fell flat on its ass in the playoffs against teams like LA.

Though isn't that a case of match-ups? I thought you guys always struggled against the Kings.

Give us Kane and we'll call it even.

O'Neill might be the dumbest guy in front of mic I've ever heard when it comes to talking about the game - and I'm taking Steve Simmons and Damien Cox into consideration.

I don't know, he seems like he's self-aware.

Whilst Simmons and Cox are totally into themselves :lol

yyzjohn

Banned
O'Neill might be the dumbest guy in front of mic I've ever heard when it comes to talking about the game - and I'm taking Steve Simmons and Damien Cox into consideration.

O'Neill represents the blue collar, get angry at the drop of a dime type of character. Think he does it more for entertainment than anything else.

Heretic

Curse doesn't exist. Now the blessing does. I just can't give the blessing to my own team. My teams are cursed.

Red Wings or Ducks (or potentially Avs) - Cup Champions 2014.

How about a ban bet? Permaban, even. If the Ducks/Wings/Avs win it all, I get permabanned. If the Ducks/Wings/Avs DON'T win it all, you get permabanned.

Deal?

calder

Should be a good game. Will be lots of Jets fans there.

Yep, I've really liked some of the things the Flames have done this year, I don't think they'll be terribly improved in the standings next year but the rebuild may actually not be as long or painful as I would have thought this time last year.

I feel like Flames and Jets fans should have a summit this summer, where basically everyone gets drunk and laughs at how awful the Oilers are and takes great joy in what happened to the Canucks and Leafs. I'm booking my hotel for the conference now! ;)

If I had endless time at work instead of nearly endless time, I'd love to sit down and hash out a definitive "biggest asshat in hockey media" list. Make a category for print, one for TV/radio, etc. But I'd have to do it soon, if only so I could give the Damien Cox Memorial Award for Print Douchbaggery to Damien Cox in his last year of eligibility.

Off the top of my head morons:
- Cox
- Simmons
- Lawless
- PJ Stock
- Mclean/Kipper
- 90% of the former players on any NHL panel in Canada

Leafs talk please go to Offseason OT. ok thanks bye.

How about a ban bet? Permaban, even. If the Ducks/Wings/Avs win it all, I get permabanned. If the Ducks/Wings/Avs DON'T win it all, you get permabanned.

Deal?

I, with all my infinite zero authority, do not allow this.

I will never let you be permabanned under any circumstance.

Socreges

Banned
It means I don't feel like we will just give up a win or not put in 100% for a better draft position, despite a meaningless victory.
Ah. I don't think any team would. Players don't care about draft position, they play for pride.

Fortunately the Flames have more pride than the Canucks right now.

Acid08

Banned

Deal?
Counter offer: Tabris gets permabanned no matter what happens and you never get banned!

calder

dstrdl pls

Don't worry, next year Teemu is retired, the NHL finally starts dope testing for Rogaine, John Gibson exploits a CBA loophole and signs with the Oilers and Perry gets a 20 game retroactive suspension from Shanahan's successor for past misdeeds. Ducks finish 9th in the conference.

Samyy

Don't worry, next year Teemu is retired, the NHL finally starts dope testing for Rogaine, John Gibson exploits a CBA loophole and signs with the Oilers and Perry gets a 20 game retroactive suspension from Shanahan's successor for past misdeeds. Ducks finish 9th in the conference.

And Getzlaf loses the last of his hair and loses all his confidence.

Heretic

I, with all my infinite zero authority, do not allow this.

I will never let you be permabanned under any circumstance.
<3

My boy hrtc's balls dropping before my own eyes!

*lip quivers*
DAS HOW WE DO, KID

Counter offer: Tabris gets permabanned no matter what happens and you never get banned!

I'd not trade a single Heretic for a thousand suns.

DO NOT CHALLENGE ME, HEAVENLY BEINGS!

A childrens crusade be not worth brothers in arms.
Lol!

<333

I THOUGHT WE WERE COOL, OLD MAN CALDER! I THOUGHT WE WERE COOL...

Solo

AGally out for at leasat the first round.......with Prust and Moen also out, we now have a SERIOUS left wing problem. We go from Pacioretty to Gionta (RW playing on his wrong wing) to Bourque (as useless as an asshole on your elbow) to Bournival (rookie with 0 games playoff experience).

If Tampa neutralizes the top line.......we are fucked. Secondary scoring? lolz.

Sobotka, Roy and Morrow are now injured in addition to Backes, Oshie and Tarasenko. Ty Rattie, Keith Aucoin and Cracknell have been recalled.

What a nightmarish way to end the season. I don't see a scenario where Colorado doesn't take first in Central.

Though isn't that a case of match-ups? I thought you guys always struggled against the Kings.

We would have struggled against Chicago and others if we ever got that far.

I THOUGHT WE WERE COOL, OLD MAN CALDER! I THOUGHT WE WERE COOL...

Literally crying.

And Getzlaf loses the last of his hair and loses all his confidence.

Then becomes Messier 2.0 and gets traded to the Leafs in his twilight years, taking all the MLSE money and providing zero of the effort... Y'know, since we're such good trading pals.

Also, Blues, kinda need you to win tonight so we don't land Dallas in the first round.

C'monnn guys.

Wild are deadly, but not as deadly as Dallas.

C'monnnnnn guyyyysssss...

Acid08

Banned
Sobotka, Roy and Morrow are now injured in addition to Backes, Oshie and Tarasenko. Ty Rattie, Keith Aucoin and Cracknell have been recalled.

What a nightmarish way to end the season. I don't see a scenario where Colorado doesn't take first in Central.

We would have struggled against Chicago and others if we ever got that far.
Keith Aucoin still plays hockey?

Samyy

Literally crying.

Then becomes Messier 2.0 and gets traded to the Leafs in his twilight years, taking all the MLSE money and providing zero of the effort... Y'know, since we're such good trading pals.

Yes this sounds Leafy enough to be true.

HERTL CLEARED FOR TONIGHT ACID YEEEEEE

calder

That easily imaginable hypothetical has given me the weirdest boner.

I take it all back, Ducks to win Pacific for the next decade. Better luck starting in 2025 Sharks/Kings!

Acid08

Banned
David Pollak @PollakOnSharks 3m
#SJSharks to announce this a.m. That Hertl has been cleared medically and ready to jump into the lineup.

THIS IS DREAM

CAKE BOSS, QUICK, DSTRDL, SAMYY

IT'S HAPPENING

Samyy

Some dude on Leafs Lunch just said that Kadri would be playing in the minors if he wasn't in Toronto.

I can't.

I feel like these people should just come out and say that they are racists, its already so blatant.
Boy it must rub them the wrong way to see the game "tarnished" by some brown dude. I'm sure these people exist, ie. Tyler Seguin's sister is a good example.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
AGally out for at leasat the first round.......with Prust and Moen also out, we now have a SERIOUS left wing problem. We go from Pacioretty to Gionta (RW playing on his wrong wing) to Bourque (as useless as an asshole on your elbow) to Bournival (rookie with 0 games playoff experience).

If Tampa neutralizes the top line.......we are fucked. Secondary scoring? lolz.

Bourque will step up his game, :lol. :(

Top Bottom