• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL April 2015 |OT| Dustin Brown, Dustin Bro--

Cars bolded with comments are ones I've driven a bit to form an opinion/owned, but most of my experience is with the older models.

ALSO, what cars does NHL-GAF drive and how much do you like the car? I'm looking into leasing one and need feedback. I've got no idea. Deals and some preliminary research I'm looking at the following(<25k CAD), sorted roughly by my current preference:

Mazda3 Drove a first gen for a while to teach a friend to drive manual. Very well put together car, hear they've only gotten better with time. Mazda rust is the only reason I would not buy one, but they have a much better warranty now.
Ford Fiesta/Focus If you don't need a ton of space for cargo, this is a great car. Fuel efficient, fun to drive, surprising amount of features for the price range, though it is a bit more money than your Hyundais/Kias
Kia Rio/Forte
Chevy Cruze
Nissan Ventra Note/Sentra Pretty bottom of the barrel. Drive like bad Civics, it wants to feel sporty and hard but ends off coming as rough. Interiors that look nice but are made of hard plastics. It's like a Corolla, but worse; it's a car that provides transportation, but not as well put together as a Corolla (experience with 2003 model)
VW Jetta/Golf Drove a 2008 Golf City which is essentially the 1999-2004 Golf with some new lights. The 2.0 engine is pretty stout and reliable, the shifter felt vauge and hard to place. Again drove to teach someone how to drive manual. The quality of materials inside, even for the bargain model was far beyond anything I've driven in this class of car. Solid, clean design, nice materials. The Golf, aside from the shifter, left a good impression on me - it was at first solidly built, has good room, and moves fairly decently. My friend has encountered a lot of little electrical issues with hers over the years though.
Honda Civic I've owned a 2005 model, and bought a 2003 SiR hatch to replace it after I got in an accident with it. The standard models, like the 2005 I had, are solid, reliable vehicles that pretend to be sportier than they are. They are like a Corolla, but with beautiful transmissions but the same plain engine. The newer models (again, teaching manual...it's like my job) I've dealt with (the 2006-2011 model, which the current models are based on) are more of the same, except bigger and with funny dashes. The SiR hatch I have is a joy to drive, but little bullshit repairs are everywhere, and parts can get expensive for the high performance models. The standard models are fine, though with the new Civic coming this Fall I'd wait for that.
Toyota Yaris/Corolla The appliance of compact cars. Reliable but joyless. Treat it well and it will do the same. (experience from 2003, 2012 model)
Hyundai Accent/Elantra/Sonata
Subaru Impreza
Scion tC

iLLmAtlc

The problem with the canucks first round match up is if the flames beat us, it will be a really hard pill to swallow, now if it had been the kings, well, yep the kings beat us...again. Maybe next year.

But on that note, it's probably going to be the best series in this years playoffs.

meh this isn't the 2011 canucks. most people probably thought they weren't even gonna be in. i wouldn't be stunned if they lost to anybody.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Are we all in agreement that Bettman rigs the draft lottery for Arizona to get McDavid?

calder

F-F-F-F-F-FINISH THEM

ALSO, what cars does NHL-GAF drive and how much do you like the car? I'm looking into leasing one and need feedback. I've got no idea. Deals and some preliminary research I'm looking at the following(<25k CAD), sorted roughly by my current preference:

Mazda3
Ford Fiesta/Focus
Kia Rio/Forte
Chevy Cruze
Nissan Ventra Note/Sentra
VW Jetta/Golf
Honda Civic
Toyota Yaris/Corolla
Subaru Impreza
Scion tC

We went from a Nissan Versa to a new Subaru Forester this year and it's been fucking fantastic. I drove an Impreza too, it was slick (but not a logical option for us at all).

I really love the driving assist on the Subaru, and the EyeSight shit is actually awesome and really handy, especially the adaptive cruise.

For winter driving it's been a delight, obviously you wouldn't get as much proper winter driving as me living in the lower mainland but even the occasional slushy conditions (or trip into the mountains) make you very happy to have AWD as well done as Subaru's.

09 Focus (got it used in 2013), drive it 120 miles a day to and from work (mainly highway) and hasn't given me any major problems at all, already at 170,000 + miles now.

fallout

Nash and Zuccarello will be game time decisions tomorrow. Staal will not play, so Summers should be in again. Ryan Bourque will also be traveling with the team to Washington.
Makes me wonder if they're actually hurt and not wanting to aggravate anything.

Giggzy

F-F-F-F-F-FINISH THEM

Mazda3
Ford Fiesta/Focus
Kia Rio/Forte
Chevy Cruze
Nissan Ventra Note/Sentra
VW Jetta/Golf
Honda Civic
Toyota Yaris/Corolla
Subaru Impreza
Scion tC

I just traded in my Mazda3 for a BMW 128i, but I have nothing but good things to say about the Mazda. It was my commuter car before I moved closer to work. I put roughly 25k miles a year on it and not once had any mechanical issues. Just standard maintenance. The MPG was great (averaged 35), and the ride was comfortable. My only regret was getting the sedan and not the hatchback.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Taught history today, opened it up to a 15 minutes lesson on the white out in winnipeg and showed videos of what it is like and how it is going to be in Winnipeg when the playoffs start, kids hype level is through the roof. Then went on to Acadia and seven years war lol

F-F-F-F-F-FINISH THEM

2014 Mazda5 but having a family you kinda need a car like that. A very un-vanlike van.

I did drive a Mazda3 for years before that and it was great. Mazda are awesome and are more bang for your back imo.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Makes me wonder if they're actually hurt and not wanting to aggravate anything.

Zuccarello was apparently lightly banged up in Devils game (you know, the one where the Devs were trying to reenact Slap Shot). Not something serious, but not nothing either.

No idea what Nash's issue would have been, other than that he could use a breather.

Staal, on the other hand, is the most believable of the group and had apparently been playing through a nagging injury of some sort for a while. He had missed a few practices and had a couple "maintenance days" over the last couple weeks or so even though he was playing in all the games. Probably the sort of thing he could really be playing through, but why bother when he doesn't have to.

On paper the Flames look like the easiest first-round matchup for the Canucks (highly doubt they could beat a California team) but they've been defying the odds all season long and have nothing to lose. The Canucks know this is one of their last shots at a Cup with this core so there's more pressure there, even if they do have more experience.

If the Canucks do have one advantage, it's in net, though that could easily swing the other way with a rusty Miller and an inexperienced Lack.

calder

Taught history today, opened it up to a 15 minutes lesson on the white out in winnipeg and showed videos of what it is like and how it is going to be in Winnipeg when the playoffs start, kids hype level is through the roof. Then went on to Acadia and seven years war lol

Hah that's awesome. But this is the only history you need to teach:
$_35.JPG

Now that my nervousness about getting in is done I'll actually make the new Jets win gifs I've been thinking about.

CCQF96fW0AAdYlO.jpg:large

HMMMM... I literally walk past the store on my way home, may need to pick something up.

I'm waking up in two hours to go to dental hospital to get my shitty meth damaged teeth fixed before I start my new job as a Junior System Admin in three days. BRB, and wish me luck.

Out of the East, I'd be okay with the Tampa, the Islanders, or the Sens making a run to the Cup.

This, times two.

I love all of the aforementioned.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I totally missed this:

Jocelyn Aspa &#8207;@jocelynaspa
RT @edmontonoilers: to everyone outside of LA, you're welcome.

Edmonton Oilers @EdmontonOilers
@jocelynaspa That one definitely crossed our mind...
10:42 PM - 7 Apr 2015
20 RETWEETS53 FAVORITES

Pogonip

Neo Member
I've been lurking this thread for half a season now, and decided to finally post now that the Nucks have clinched. I feel like the odds are good this year that the team will win more than 1 playoff game so I'm excited!

Also to no LA in playoffs this year:
OMsWqfN.gif

RC

Banned
I've been lurking this thread for half a season now, and decided to finally post now that the Nucks have clinched. I feel like the odds are good this year that the team will win more than 1 playoff game so I'm excited!

OMsWqfN.gif

Welcome to the botherhood of lower expectations.

ShaneB

Spieth in beast mode. I hope he wins it this year.

(I don't know whom I'm talking to other than Shane)

=( Great if he wins yes, but man that much dominance will make for a really boring Saturday and Sunday in my opinion. Every Major I just want a really tight group of players on Sunday =(

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

OMsWqfN.gif

That started off bad but got better as it went on. Welcome, grav your badge once Soc approves your post history, Desi will get the welcome beer. Or two. Or three....

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Joe McDonald &#8207;@ESPNJoeyMac 28m 28 minutes ago

Chiarelli: "I'm disappointed we put ourselves in this position. I consider it a failure. It's a failure on everybody's part."
Way to rally the troops to victory tomorrow.

zroid

Banned
Fun fact:

The bottom 7 teams in the league are Buffalo, Arizona, Edmonton, Toronto, Carolina, New Jersey, Philadelphia

Toronto has a losing record against all but Edmonton (whom they split the series with)

=( Great if he wins yes, but man that much dominance will make for a really boring Saturday and Sunday in my opinion. Every Major I just want a really tight group of players on Sunday =(

I can go both ways on this. I love finishes that go down to the wire, but watching true dominance is pretty special too.

MutFox

Banned
Toronto fans should blame themselves.
They keep buying tickets for their games.

If they truly wanted change, they'd stop buying tickets,
and the owners would truly start to care.

zroid

Banned
Toronto fans should blame themselves.
They keep buying tickets for their games.

If they truly wanted change, they'd stop buying tickets,
and the owners would truly start to care.

The owners have nothing to do with this catastrophe. That's a misconception.

Management has been at fault since the beginning. All ownership has done is throw money away because of all the bad decisions continually made by JFJ, Fletcher, Burke, and Nonis. Now they made a trade to acquire a guy whom they're paying $25 million to not play, just because of Nonis' massive fuck-up with Clarkson.

Shanahan, Dubas, and co. are in charge now, and they seem to be turning things in the right direction. We'll see.

ShaneB

I can go both ways on this. I love finishes that go down to the wire, but watching true dominance is pretty special too.

Yeah, I can understand that. I'll watch for a bit if he keeps dominating, but the thrill is gone when it seems he's got the win locked up before he even tees off on Sunday. So I'm hoping some crazy stuff still happens.

Really fun discussion on Hockeycentral@Noon with Mike Bolt, the keeper of the Cup.

Greatest trophy in Sports!

MutFox

Banned
The owners have nothing to do with this catastrophe. That's a misconception.

Management has been at fault since the beginning. All ownership has done is throw money away because of all the bad decisions continually made by JFJ, Fletcher, Burke, and Nonis. Now they made a trade to acquire a guy whom they're paying $25 million to not play, just because of Nonis' massive fuck-up with Clarkson.

Shanahan, Dubas, and co. are in charge now, and they seem to be turning things in the right direction. We'll see.

Owners choose management.

I want a Canadian team (other than Vancouver) to win the cup this year. Go Canadiens!

Burn in hell... :(
Except for wanting a Canadian team to win the cup :p

Calamari41

41 > 38
When has this ever been a feasible solution? Ever? In the history of ever?

Dodgers fans stopped going to games for several years as a protest and the team was eventually sold to Magic's group. The "boycott" was the major reason that whats-his-name decided to cash out and get the hell out of Dodge.

The fans and the local media made it happen.

Foggy

Dodgers fans stopped going to games for several years as a protest and the team was eventually sold to Magic's group. The "boycott" was the major reason that whats-his-name decided to cash out and get the hell out of Dodge.

The fans and the local media made it happen.

Well there you have it. Oh well, at the very least Shanny and co. deserve a chance to turn it around. They did manage to make a Clarkson trade that makes both sides happy which was...unlikely to say the least.

MutFox

Banned
Guess you guys didn't hear that happened in Vancouver late last season,
with a bunch of season ticket holders leaving.

Management change and cheaper tickets came quick.
Even playoff tickets are lower than normal this year.

zroid

Banned
Owners choose management.

I can't tell if you're serious or not anymore. Owners are banks; them "caring more" isn't going to result in them choosing better management. When management fails, it's on them, not the owners. It's on the owners if they cause management to fail due to either (a) meddling, or (b) not spending money. Leafs ownership is guilty of neither of these things.

Samyy

I can't tell if you're serious or not anymore. Owners are banks; them "caring more" isn't going to result in them choosing better management. When management fails, it's on them, not the owners. It's on the owners if they cause management to fail due to either (a) meddling, or (b) not spending money. Leafs ownership is guilty of neither of these things.

Yea ownership has stopped up on numerous occasions to bite the bullet for dumb things our management team has done, from buyouts to taking on the Horton contract, burying contracts in the minors.

Top Bottom