• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL December 2013 |OT| I'm Dreaming Of A White Christmas

Stoner's the vicious Wild #6 defender that leaves a pile of bodies in his wake.

Starting with David Backes:
dsc00695_large.jpg

But really, that's about the highlight of his career. Beating Backes' ass like three years ago.

Chris R

O'reilly does yoga. So let's be honest...

Maybe he just likes yoga pants, I know I do (plus, I'd have so many issues trying to stay balanced when even partially blazed, I'd just sit on the ground)

Nice win! Hope the momentum follows us to Dallas for tomorrow's game.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Sens deserved that win IMO, we played great tonight!

And CB, I think you have to give Phillips some props for tonight's game, he really stepped it up and had a great game.

Socreges

Banned
Whatever had to there being a problem when the head was the 'principle' point of contact?
Isn't there a stipulation that accounts for the player making themselves vulnerable just before the hit? D'Amigo made himself extremely vulnerable at the last moment. He was basically in a squat position, reaching forward.

Isn't there a stipulation that accounts for the player making themselves vulnerable just before the hit? D'Amigo made himself extremely vulnerable at the last moment. He was basically in a squat position, reaching forward.

Probably. Hockey culture is all about blaming the victim.

I thought this was Stoners career highlight?
or maybe this was it
http://video.blackhawks.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=237515

Haha I was actually thinking of that goal but couldn't remember who that happened against. Good call.

What happened?

If you're not being sarcastic,a few seasons ago Backes was being a douche with like three minutes to go in the game trying to goad all these stupid penalties out of the Wild and Stoner challenged him to a fight. Watching it you'd think it was a pretty even fight but Backes came out of it looking like that and Stoner looked about as ugly as Stoner always looks.

It was fun to watch.

Socreges

Banned
Probably. Hockey culture is all about blaming the victim.
...you're being sarcastic, I hope?

If Bortuzzo is going for the hit and D'Amigo suddenly lowers his head two feet, the onus is on D'Amigo. Same with if a player suddenly turns their back to an incoming hit.

I should play my DS more. I've got a bunch of games that I've played bits of and loved, like Pokemon X, Kingdom Hearts 3D, Final Fantasy Tactics, Resident Evil Revelations, and so on but have almost no desire to actually sit down and play them.

Eventually, I suppose. They should come out with a Be a GM eShop game. Just Be a GM. Making the team through the draft and free agency and simulating games. I don't even want to play the games. Just make the teams.

Quick

Banned
If you're not being sarcastic,a few seasons ago Backes was being a douche with like three minutes to go in the game trying to goad all these stupid penalties out of the Wild and Stoner challenged him to a fight. Watching it you'd think it was a pretty even fight but Backes came out of it looking like that and Stoner looked about as ugly as Stoner always looks.

It was fun to watch.

I wasn't being sarcastic.

Acid08

Banned
TMac dressed Burns and Couture in bottom six jerseys at practice today. Hard to tell if it's actually a line up change or if he was just sending a message. Both have been playing well but haven't been producing.

Couture only had two goals in his last 15 games and Burns hasn't scored in eight games since he got his hatty against the Blues. Couture especially had been getting tons of shots but he's also getting lots of posts, snake bitten for sure.

kassatsu

Banned
Look at these lines... and they still find a way to win

Chris Kunitz - Sidney Crosby - Pascal Dupuis
Harry Zolnierczyk - Jussi Jokinen - Jayson Megna
Chris Conner - Brandon Sutter - Joe Vitale
Craig Adams - Zach Sill - Chuck Kobasew

Matt Niskanen - Olli Maatta
Robert Bortuzzo - Brian Dumoulin
Simon Despres - Philip Samuelsson

Marc-Andre Fleury

...you're being sarcastic, I hope?

If Bortuzzo is going for the hit and D'Amigo suddenly lowers his head two feet, the onus is on D'Amigo. Same with if a player suddenly turns their back to an incoming hit.

I totally disagree - and yes, I get that you're just providing the standard pro hockey line on these incidents.

I'm pretty much done with the argument that it's the fault of a 'defenseless' player for having his head too low, or not timing his position on the boards perfectly. If the league wants to be serious about lowering the number of head injuries, they're going to have to shift the onus 100% to the player delivering the hit.

Socreges

Banned
I totally disagree - and yes, I get that you're just providing the standard pro hockey line on these incidents.

I'm pretty much done with the argument that it's the fault of a 'defenseless' player for having his head too low, or not timing his position on the boards perfectly. If the league wants to be serious about lowering the number of head injuries, they're going to have to shift the onus 100% to the player delivering the hit.
Er no, I'm providing the common sense explanation. It's a fast game. Players go for a hit and trying to abandon it is either often impossible or worse. Unfortunately certain hits to the head are going to be unavoidable if a player suddenly makes themselves vulnerable.

Don't get upset just because you didn't read the fine print:

"48.1 Illegal Check to the Head – A hit resulting in contact with an opponent's head where the head is targeted and the principal point of contact is not permitted. However, in determining whether such a hit should have been permitted, the circumstances of the hit, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit or the head contact on an otherwise legal body check was avoidable, can be considered."

Maybe they need to slow the game down or remove body checking altogether? That's another conversation.

Quick

Banned
Er no, I'm providing the common sense explanation. It's a fast game. Players go for a hit and trying to abandon it is either often impossible or worse. Unfortunately certain hits to the head are going to be unavoidable if a player suddenly makes themselves vulnerable.

Don't get upset just because you didn't read the fine print:

"48.1 Illegal Check to the Head – A hit resulting in contact with an opponent's head where the head is targeted and the principal point of contact is not permitted. However, in determining whether such a hit should have been permitted, the circumstances of the hit, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit or the head contact on an otherwise legal body check was avoidable, can be considered."

Maybe they need to slow the game down or remove body checking altogether? That's another conversation.

ALRIGHT ALRIGHT OKAY LET'S GO.

SOCREGES, WHY'RE YA BRINGIN' UP THE RULES, EH? THIS AIN'T THE NATIONAL HOW-TO-READ LEAGUE. ONLY ONE RULE TO FOLLOW: BE LIKE BOBBY ORR.

SEE, YOU DON'T NEED THAT MUMBO-JUMBO STUFF WHEN ALL YOU GOTTA DO IS WATCH BOBBY PLAY. THEN YOU'LL KNOW THE RULES, EH. FINE PRINT? WHAT'S THAT EVEN MEAN? COMMON SENSE? I ONLY GOT ONE TYPE OF SENSE; HOCKEY.

AN' WHAT'S THIS ABOUT SLOWIN' THE GAME DOWN AN' REMOVIN' BODY CHECKS? THAT'S JUST STUPID, SOCREGES. WERE YOU IN THE SOVIET UNION WHEN YOU WERE BANNED AN' ADOPTED THEIR IDEALS? DO YOU PISS WITH THE STALL OPEN LIKE AN EMBARRASSIN' RUSSIAN, OR DO YOU PISS WITH THE STALL OPEN LIKE A PROUD CANADIAN?

LET ME TELL YOU KIDS A STORY: I WAS IN THE BATHROOM WASHIN' MY HANDS, WHEN I SAW THIS SMALL HOCKEY PLAYER TAKIN' A PISS WITH THE STALL OPEN. HE NEEDED HIS DADDY TO HELP HIM 'CAUSE HE WAS A KID AN' HIS LEAGUE PLAYED NO-CONTACT HOCKEY. I WAS EMBARRASSED FOR HIM. BOBBY ORR WOULDA BROKEN THE RULES AN' TEACH THESE KIDS HOW TO PLAY LIKE A REAL CANADIAN.

NOW, BEFORE I COULD TELL 'EM ABOUT THIS, THE DAD CALLED SECURITY ON ME FOR WATCHIN' HIS KID PEE. CAN'T BE DOIN' THAT IN 2013, THEY TELL ME.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Here it is:

hnV2Kqk.gif

Just woke up, lawl

Avs with 21 sog in 1st period

When did Dallas start sucking so much :( My Lehtonen-fantasy team am cry, 48 shots, 6 goals against. :(

You made the right choice wsox

Indeed.

But Vita has one amazing game...!

I hope 2014 is as great as 2013 was for the 3DS.

For starters it has Bravely Default. I borrowed my friend's european 3ds to play it a bit (read: about 9 hours) and it's great. It's also MASSIVE and there's no way I'll finish it while I'm here... So i put it aside for now and will just buy it once it's out in NA. Weird that it's out in europe earlier, but I got to "demo" it, so i'm not complaining.

Top Bottom