• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL December 2016 |OT| Best Christmas Since '93

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
4th or 5th

What a shitty set of hockey games to fly in for. Ugh

Now I get to sleep on the floor of DIA before flying home :(

DIA?

okay I googled and you mean "Denver International Airport". I get so confused when people don't use IATA codes :lol

Chris R

DIA?

okay I googled and you mean "Denver International Airport". I get so confused when people don't use IATA codes :lol
Ya my flight is at 7am, so that's a 6:30 boarding

No point dropping $150+ for one more night in my hotel when I'd have to wake up at 4:30 to take the train all the way out there.

Socreges

Banned
Man, the Leafs were creating some crazy opportunities tonight. Can't believe they only converted on two of them.
Miller didn't even have to make any great saves. Just had to be solid and stand in his net. Glad Leafs fans are so impressed by losing efforts, though. Survival mechanism built up over the years, I guess!

😘

Even if Laine does outscore Matthews (which I personally think will happen this year), Leafs fans shouldn't be upset. We needed a #1 centre, and they don't grow on trees. You also can't say who the better player is after one year anyways. Laine's way of scoring goals has translated over almost seamlessly, whereas Matthews isn't there yet.

That's true

I think Matthews is doing pretty well, and looks quite good out there almost every night. It's just hard to not think of what if.

Then again, I know the top centre thing is a major plus in his favour and am happy we got him because of that.

I'm not saying I'd switch the two at this point either. My mind just wonders.

Chris R

Free wifi (almost 100mb down... score)

and I'm the only non-worker in the concourse

lol

Almost makes up for the FUCKING SHITTY performance from the Avs tonight. I'd say we'll be the first to fire our coach, but we just hired him so I don't think he gets the can until the end of the season, unless Sakic is booted sooner than that.

megachao24

Unconfirmed Member
Man, that MvC:I gameplay looks as ugly as Matthews.

SMOrc

:eek:inkston:

It's early thankfully and you'll get cleaned up by release, but what I'm concern about is the lack of assists and the usage SFxT-style tagging. I know this is meant to be a reboot, but c'mon man people don't wanna be reminded of the mess that was SFxT =/

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Miller didn't even have to make any great saves. Just had to be solid and stand in his net. Glad Leafs fans are so impressed by losing efforts, though. Survival mechanism built up over the years, I guess!

��

Nah, the I think the Leafs had a solid effort tonight. Had lots of great opportunities that they couldn't convert. Lots of sustained pressure, lots of shot blocking, and some nifty moves that they just couldn't convert. They're a young team, so I can forgive the losses as long as they show potential and play an exciting game.

That's true

I think Matthews is doing pretty well, and looks quite good out there almost every night. It's just hard to not think of what if.

Then again, I know the top centre thing is a major plus in his favour and am happy we got him because of that.

I'm not saying I'd switch the two at this point either. My mind just wonders.

Laine is having a great season, but Matthews is doing well too. Yeah he's down by 4 points in the scoring race, but he also has 3 games in hand IIRC. Both players have been streaky this season, and that lead could easily evaporate in the next few weeks. Heck, just 2 or 3 days ago Mitch Marner was at the top of rookie scoring race. It's a long season - we'll see what happens when the dust settles.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Ya my flight is at 7am, so that's a 6:30 boarding

No point dropping $150+ for one more night in my hotel when I'd have to wake up at 4:30 to take the train all the way out there.

I tried doing that once but ended up caving and paying money for a bed at the airport best western for like 50USD :lol. They got a free shuttle at least so that made getting there and back easy.

Chris R

I tried doing that once but ended up caving and paying money for a bed at the airport best western for like 50USD :lol. They got a free shuttle at least so that made getting there and back easy.

Wish sleeping pods would catch on at Airports :( Japan please, share

Miller stole us two points. Sedins had some good possession shifts but couldn't get anything to the net.

At least Willie shortened the bench after the second. Our fourth line is pretty awful.

yyzjohn

Banned
Laine is having a great season, but Matthews is doing well too. Yeah he's down by 4 points in the scoring race, but he also has 3 games in hand IIRC. Both players have been streaky this season, and that lead could easily evaporate in the next few weeks. Heck, just 2 or 3 days ago Mitch Marner was at the top of rookie scoring race. It's a long season - we'll see what happens when the dust settles.

Laine doesn't get to play with the real gud player Hyman though. Advantage Matthews

Curufinwe

man it's crazy to think it's only a few years ago when Laine was in elementary school lol. dude is so young.

I should dig up the posts from before the draft when some people here were shit talking the McKeens scout who had Laine as the #1 and said he could be a 60 goal scorer.

If the Leafs are ever getting you down Toronto GAF, remember who you can count on:

jGHExyE.png

They Obliterated Atlanta last night.

yyzjohn

Banned
I should dig up the posts from before the draft when some people here were shit talking the McKeens scout who had Laine as the #1 and said he could be a 60 goal scorer.

Nothing like a good trash talking 27 games into his career. He's the clear winner.

zroid

Banned
That's still a dumb statement from the scout. The last time the league had a single 60 goal scorer was 2011/2012.

Laine I think will be the better pure goal-scorer, but Matthews I think will be the better overall player. Nothing we've seen so far this season has really changed that.

I get Stamkos / Tavares vibes from them. Anyone agree?

It's a bit harder to project Matthews as the next Tavares but his hands and net drive certainly invite comparisons. Laine however looks like the closest thing to Stamkos there is. He hasn't really driven possession so far, has a lethal shot from anywhere, and shooting over 20% currently (only Stammer has come anywhere close to shooting 20% for his career among active NHL players).

You could also say Laine is like Kovalchuk, since they're both wingers.

Erdrick

I get Stamkos / Tavares vibes from them. Anyone agree?

It's a bit harder to project Matthews as the next Tavares but his hands and net drive certainly invite comparisons. Laine however looks like the closest thing to Stamkos there is. He hasn't really driven possession so far, has a lethal shot from anywhere, and shooting over 20% currently (only Stammer has come anywhere close to shooting 20% for his career among active NHL players).

You could also say Laine is like Kovalchuk, since they're both wingers.

Laine reminds me of Brett Hull, with how much he shoots and how successful he has been with said shots. Your comparison works for me in relation to Stamkos too, since he's the current generation analog to Brett Hull in my eyes as well.

I've never seen a guy like Hull in terms of pure goal scorer, but Stamkos and Laine now, seem similar.

Matthews, I can't comment much on since I've only seen him firsthand in the one game the Jets played against him and the Leafs. I am so very glad that they drafted Laine as they did. He's just what we needed. We've got our 1C anyway in Mark Scheifele as it is, so pairing Laine with him has worked very well for the both of them thus far.

Yawnier

Banned
The Laine - Brett Hull comparison makes sense actually although Laine is a lot taller

Both have/had game breaking shots but both their skating isn't/wasn't very good.

Quick

Banned
Missed the rest of the Leafs game last night after the start of the second period. Got a point at least.

Leafs play the Wild on Wednesday at home, then the Bruins away on Saturday. They get a break at least. More Call of Duty for Rielly and Matthews.

Syrinx

Future Moncton Hurricane Julien Gauthier has 20 assists through 21 games. That's 4 more than he had in 54 games last season.

Megasoum

Banned
Wtf... Watching the pre-game interview with Galchenyuk in LA and they are playing Gerudo Valley in the Staples Center? lol

Top Bottom