• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL December 2016 |OT| Best Christmas Since '93

yyzjohn

Banned
Matthews was supposed to be good. And he has been. Snooze.

Laine no one really thought that much about until last year's WJr's, and even then he was still something of a unknown. He's been the spectacular surprise.

What's the story with Puljujarvi?

I wouldn't say no one really thought much about him before that, there was always the big 3 in the draft, but it was supposed to be Matthews the clear #1 and Laine 2nd. He made the conversation closer than it was. Also remember that Matthews is essentially an entire year older than Laine which makes what Laine's doing all the more impressive.

Socreges

Banned
Habs are struggling right but they'll be fine once

a) Price returns
b) Galchenyuk gets 1C
c) Patches starts contributing
d) They get the fuck out of California

Yawnier

Banned
Matthews was supposed to be good. And he has been. Snooze.

Laine no one really thought that much about until last year's WJr's, and even then he was still something of a unknown. He's been the spectacular surprise.

What's the story with Puljujarvi?
I've seen some Oilers fans say since the season started that they want Puljujarvi down in the AHL. Don't think he has been all that amazing but has shown some flashes.

zroid

Banned
That's another thing, that crazy shooting % so far for Laine. Guy is at 21%. The two most prolific goal scorers the last few years are Ovechkin and Stamkos, they have career shooting % of 12.4% and 17.1%. Unless Laine is better than both of those guys, I expect his shooting stats to come down a tad.

I agree although when you're talking about franchise type players, there's a bit more leeway. I could see him matching Stamkos for sure. I feel like the many people who compare Laine to Ovechkin are off-base, since Ovi is a different beast entirely. The most prolific volume shooter of all time.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Forsberg-Johansen-Arvidsson
Fiala-Ribeiro-Smith
Wilson-Fisher-Boucher(!!)
Gaudreau-Jarnkrok-Watson

Josi-Irwin
Ekholm-Subban
Weber-Granberg

Saros starts

I forgot to mention it yesterday, but Granberg really sucks. I hope Ellis won't be out for too much longer.

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/indepth/joey

A panicked shout could be heard coming from the Oilers dressing room in 2008.

Ken Lowe, Head Medical Trainer at the time for the Edmonton Oilers, rushed out of his office where he had been quietly working on his post-practice training notes, to find Joey Moss hunched over, grimacing in pain on the dressing room floor while holding his shoulder.

Looking over at Equipment Manager Lyle Kulchisky, better known as "Sparky", Lowe could see a smirk climb across his face, as he realized they were mock wrestling yet again.

"I don't have time for this," Lowe said, slightly irritated but relieved to find out Joey was only acting.

Sparky, the self-appointed referee - and pre-determiner of who would win and lose every match - turned to Lowe, "But Kenny, don't you know? When you lose, you're hurt."

Dustin Penner, among other players at the time, helped carry Joey across the dressing room and up onto the training room table in Lowe's office - where Joey laid down, committing to his enactment.

The mock wrestling matches in the Oilers dressing room had become something of a tradition, started originally by Sparky. Joey would pretend to fight different players for a replica wrestling belt that had been gifted to him by a friend of Barrie Stafford - Head Equipment Manager for the Oilers at that time. Knowing Joey's love for wrestling, young players on the team took these matches as a chance to pause from any stresses that currently faced them on the ice, finding comedic relief in Joey's fun-loving nature.

"Okay," Sparky clapped his hands towards Joey, who still sat defeated, holding his shoulder.

"Back to work!"

Joey sprung off the treatment table, as if nothing had happened, returning with a smile to his duties as the Dressing Room Attendant - a position he has filled since the 1984-85 season and still holds fondly to this day.

Great long form story on the dressing room attendant of the Oilers, Joey Moss, who was born with Down syndrome.

Also, this is the glove Johnny Hockey will be wearing against the Flames:

gPGsQB8.jpg

Parch

I've seen some Oilers fans say since the season started that they want Puljujarvi down in the AHL. Don't think he has been all that amazing but has shown some flashes.
Yeah, he's not ready. At times he's looked lanky and awkward and even playing with McDavid wasn't helping. Last week Puljujarvi was a healthy scratch so if that's going to happen then some time in the AHL would be much more beneficial.

McClellan's coaching style is frustrating because he's always changing lines and D matchups. I don't know how they're expected to have any consistency when it's a new lineup after every loss. It's clearly a defense first approach and any mistake results in loss of ice time. At least that approach moves the Oiler D from crap to mediocre, and it is hard to argue with success. The Oiler are not having problems scoring. They lead the conference in goals scored, but that's not really an Oiler accomplishment but a McDavid accomplishment. The kid is incredible and produces no matter who he plays with.

Top Bottom