• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL December 2016 |OT| Best Christmas Since '93

Quick

Banned
Leafs deserved to lose tonight because of this.

G0Dka3I.jpg

Pikma

Banned
That ugly kid hasn't scored on the Stars though, unless you want to consider that game where he got a hat trick as canon, but I don't

that Laine goal hurts my head. i've never seen anything quite like that, except that one japanese player in a world championship game back in 2006 or something. so ridiculous.

i hope he asks to be moved to the AHL for the rest of the season.

That Laine goal was literally nothing. It will never happen again. He shouldn't feel bad for long, fuck sake the Avs should feel worse about our win than Laine should feel about that goal and resulting loss.

PillarEN

What's up with commercial entities coming so late to the dab party? Cam was doing it almost over a year and half ago. It's sort of out of style by now unless you're being ironic or Cam himself.

Although I learned that little kids love dabbing after seeing a montage of Mine-Con this year. Like they really like it.

Cactus

Banned
So, with the Habs steamrolling teams without Galchenyuk, is it time to consider trading him for some defensive depth and bottom-six grit in preparation for a playoff run? I'm sure Therrien and Bergevin are aware that the Habs haven't had any playoff success with him in the lineup, so it might be worth bringing in some veterans with playoff experience.

I say yes.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Oh cool, the Ducks are the best team in the league. Quite a change from last season at this time. Thanks, Mr. Carlyle! Look forward to the Cup.

Atlanta Black-Star: NHL Teams Up with Nonprofit Groups to Bring ‘White’ Sport to Black, Inner-City Youths

Five NHL teams are teaming up with inner-city organizations to increase the diversity of its prospects and fan base. Teams across the country from Illinois to California are partnering with nonprofits in efforts that could give Black children access to hockey, a sport usually regulated to suburban areas.

According to Rolling Stone, the Chicago Blackhawks are partnering with 1st Goal Foundation’s Hockey On Your Block, the San Jose Sharks are teaming up with the Sharks Ice Hockey League in Oakland, California, the Philadelphia Flyers are joining with the Ed Snider Foundation, the Fort DuPont Ice Hockey Club in Washington, D.C, the longest-running nonwhite youth hockey organization, has a relationship with the Washington Capitals team, while the Rangers are linked to New York’s Ice Hockey in Harlem.

Hockey in Harlem’s executive director John Sanful acknowledged the high costs of the sport’s equipment, which can reach into the thousand-dollar range.

“Hockey is an expensive sport. We try to introduce the sport to nontraditional communities,” Sanful said. “Kids these days have seen [Nashville Predators defenseman] PK Subban and [Blue Jackets defenseman] Seth Jones and now want to give the sport a shot. Seeing Subban and Jones motivates and inspires them.”

This is one of the most important things that the NHL has to do to ensure the sport survives at a larger level in the US. The sport is already pretty solidly a sport for upper middle class, Midwestern / Northeastern white boys in the US, and so planting the seeds for more minority hockey players is a good thing.

imBask

Banned
Atlanta Black-Star: NHL Teams Up with Nonprofit Groups to Bring ‘White’ Sport to Black, Inner-City Youths

This is one of the most important things that the NHL has to do to ensure the sport survives at a larger level in the US. The sport is already pretty solidly a sport for upper middle class, Midwestern / Northeastern white boys in the US, and so planting the seeds for more minority hockey players is a good thing.

No Marc Bergevin and the Montreal Canadians huh 🤔🤔🤔

No Marc Bergevin and the Montreal Canadians huh 🤔🤔🤔

I know you mean this in jest, but Canada will always be the well that the NHL taps into, but they *should* be having diversity efforts like the American teams are doing. Most of the immigrant kids and families that are coming into Canada, they certainly don't have the money to splurge on hockey gear like some upper-middle class white kids on the Prairies or in the GTA.

So they'll go for basketball, soccer, sports that have a low cost of entry.

imBask

Banned
I know you mean this in jest, but Canada will always be the well that the NHL taps into, but they *should* be having diversity efforts like the American teams are doing. Most of the immigrant kids and families that are coming into Canada, they certainly don't have the money to splurge on hockey gear like some upper-middle class white kids on the Prairies or in the GTA.

So they'll go for basketball, soccer, sports that have a low cost of entry.

yeah i'm kidding, but to be fair the Canadiens does put very nice rinks in some in disadvantaged neighbourhoods of Montreal, including some typically known to have a higher concentration of immigrants. They're doing something at least, eventhough they traded the black hero

imBask

Banned
they traded the 2nd black hero*

Big George forever in our heart, never forget that time he followed Lucic around for a whole shift

yeah i'm kidding, but to be fair the Canadiens does put very nice rinks in some in disadvantaged neighbourhoods of Montreal, including some typically known to have a higher concentration of immigrants. They're doing something at least, eventhough they traded the black hero

Some of it lies upon the feet of the manufactures of equipment as well, like Easton, CCM and Warrior. It's a lot like how golf clubs, with the amount of crazy R&D tech going into the equipment has made them better - but at the same time, it has priced the equipment practically out of the market for the average Joe looking at getting into the sport, or immigrant families who see Canada's game and are interested in playing it, but are basically locked out due to exorbitant rates.

Doesn't help that ice time, and by extension league rates, are pretty much designed to gouge people as well.

Calgary has won 6 in a row with Chad Johnson in net, and they're now a point out of first in the Pacific. That may be an indictment of how bad they were before and/or how weak the Pacific is.

So, with the Habs steamrolling teams without Galchenyuk, is it time to consider trading him for some defensive depth and bottom-six grit in preparation for a playoff run? I'm sure Therrien and Bergevin are aware that the Habs haven't had any playoff success with him in the lineup, so it might be worth bringing in some veterans with playoff experience.

I say yes.

How about you give us Nylander because it seems to me he isn't working in Babcock's System :p

Mitchell for Nylander will do

Top Bottom