• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2017 |OT| Alternative Stats

Quick

Banned
does "Willy" have 40 goals by now? no? well he's no Selänne. he's not even a 1/3 Selänne. stats are stats. and Willy's daddy had meh stats throughout his whole career, and jumped from team to team constantly.

hah awesome! gotta shake Ristolainen's hand if/when i see him around next summer in Turku (he's a friend of a friend). really showed little Marner his place.

YAsbtK4.jpg

Ah yes, in Selanne's first NHL season the player that was 10th in league scoring had 122 points. 10th! Last year the player in 10th had 77 points..See a difference?

yeah, all the greats are gone.

btw seriously, what exactly happened? can't be just some rule changes or different equipment.. the NHL i remember had many actual superstars who easily put up 100 points. now there's like 1 or 2 who might get to 100?

PillarEN

Goalies got good. That shift from 80s goaltending to 90s goaltending was almost like a new breed of people. I love goaltending though so I don't mind. Other than the athletisism though there was a lot of clutching and grabbing allowed and the players got bigger and this the amount of space on the ice got smaller. That's some of the more natural happenings. I'm not an expert on defensive/offensive coaching strategies but apparently teams are much more about playing a system without budging one inch away from it. Ok I know "the trap". That certainly came with the 90s as well if I'm not mistaken. But otherwise I guess teams understand defense systems much better now.

yyzjohn

Banned
yeah, all the greats are gone.

btw seriously, what exactly happened? can't be just some rule changes or different equipment.. the NHL i remember had many actual superstars who easily put up 100 points. now there's like 1 or 2 who might get to 100?

Totally different game, coaches got better at systems, goalies got better at playing percentages and scoring went way down. It's silly comparing sheer numbers from like 93 to today. I guess Mark Recchi must be better than Sidney Crosby cause Recchi had 123 points and Sid's best season is 120.

Socreges

Banned
He showed Marner his place? Marner is 5 inches smaller than Risto and dragged him off Matthews. That was the clip. Were you watching the same video?

Although you don't seem to know much about hockey so maybe you got the players mixed up. Matthews is the tall one and Marner is the short one
Oh my, the salt

Marner dragged Risto off Matthews? Risto elects to headlock Marner instead and frees Matthews. That was the clip. Were you watching the same video?

Although you don't seem to know much about hockey so maybe you got the players mixed up. Ristolainen is the tall one and Marner is the short one

Goalies got good. That shift from 80s goaltending to 90s goaltending was almost like a new breed of people. I love goaltending though so I don't mind. Other than the athletisism though there was a lot of clutching and grabbing allowed and the players got bigger and this the amount of space on the ice got smaller. That's some of the more natural happenings. I'm not an expert on defensive/offensive coaching strategies but apparently teams are much more about playing a system without budging one inch away from it. Ok I know "the trap". That certainly came with the 90s as well if I'm not mistaken. But otherwise I guess teams understand defense systems much better now.

hmmh interesting.

He showed Marner his place? Marner is 5 inches smaller than Risto and dragged him off Matthews. That was the clip. Were you watching the same video?

Although you don't seem to know much about hockey so maybe you got the players mixed up. Matthews is the tall one and Marner is the short one

i wasn't serious sheesh. when i say i'm against violence in hockey i'm serious.

but yea yea i dunno much about hockey i guess. who do you think was more impressive to see play live in person, Gretzky or Brett Hull or Fedorov? different types of players but i'd go with Fedorov. he was so amazing to watch.

i saw those guys play for the Gretzky All-Stars in 1994 against the Helsinki Jokerit, don't actually remember a thing of it lol except sitting behind Esa Tikkanen and him being a fucking douche when the 12 year old me wanted an autograph..

PillarEN

I was a little too young to remember Gretzky in his prime. I love Hull and how he was absolutely amazing on the powerplay just waiting for a one timer. Lethal. But yeah in the mid 90s to early 00s it was Federov who I was most excited to watch play.

Edit: From those 3 you mentioned. My favorite offensive player in the 90s was Peter Forsberg. Loved watching him play.

eyeless

Oh my, the salt

Marner dragged Risto off Matthews? Risto elects to headlock Marner instead and frees Matthews. That was the clip. Were you watching the same video?

Although you don't seem to know much about hockey so maybe you got the players mixed up. Ristolainen is the tall one and Marner is the short one
mitchy is 5'5" of true grit with the heart of a lion on pace for a 70+ point rookie year

put some respek on his name

I was a little too young to remember Gretzky in his prime. I love Hull and how he was absolutely amazing on the powerplay just waiting for a one timer. Lethal. But yeah in the mid 90s to early 00s it was Federov who I was most excited to watch play.

Edit: From those 3 you mentioned. My favorite offensive player in the 90s was Peter Forsberg. Loved watching him play.

Forsberg was legit scary in Fin-Swe national matches, i trembled whenever he got the puck. got a love/hate thing for him heh.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Nyquist better be suspended at least one game for that spear. No excuse for that shit.

Mantha continues to show that he is our best player.

who's picking the music in these games? are they TRYING to kill me with nostalgia? coming back to watch NHL is nostalgic in itself, and then hearing Beastie Boys, RATM, Tool, Bush and goddamn Fugazi ("Waiting Room" played during a Caps game a while ago, i thought it was my ringtone!) is just too much for me. too much awesome.

Top Bottom