• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2013 |OT| - "Double-B to Double-M" The Milbury Leafs Era Begins NOW

While cap implications are certainly important, I'd still rather be paying a few million extra for what could be a backup goalie in a mentor role 8 years in the future than remain mired in consistent mediocrity.

What? So you'd rather pay that much for backup goalie? A tutor? How does that even make sense? He's going to be eating at our cap. And then, we'd be trading our future for him which doesn't make any sense at all. Yeah, he'd be an improvement over what we have but what does he really bring to the table?

He's not the goalie we are looking for. Leafs want to make the playoffs and go beyond that. Winning the stanley cup is the goal.

Beyond just providing solid goaltending, Luongo would also give the entire team more confidence, provide veteran leadership, and possibly make Toronto a more attractive destination for players, whereas right now I think it's seen by everyone as a team that you don't go to if you want to win. I recognize the future risk, but I think that the benefits outweigh it and am willing to bet on Luongo playing well into his late thirties, if not longer. And in general, while I watch hockey to have fun, not to be an armchair GM, I don't think that one contract will be enough to ruin the team forever. Now, if his cap hit was much higher, then that would be different, but it's pretty manageable.

All of that is just petty reasoning for wanting to justify the cap hit and the future we have to give up for some solid goalie.

Acid08

Banned
739834_10151156623961783_745440086_o.jpg

New graphics for Sharks broadcasts. Looks kinda weird.

I never said I wanted to give up our future for him. The implication is that the Canucks won't be getting a king's ransom for him because of that contract - if we have to give up our best prospects for him, then of course that isn't good. And the mentor thing I mentioned was addressing what the problem with the contract is, the potential of stagnation in the tail end of a long-term contract. I expect him to play many great years for us if we get him. Many goalies have continued to play well late into their careers anyway, so the scenario of having dead weight for the last years of his contract is only worst case. Of course, none of that matters since it's not like I have a say in whether we acquire him or not - if we do though, I'll be very happy instead of depressed at what may or may not happen many years down the road.

Oh you mean last year when he was incredible at the start of the season but got a concussion from a run in with gionta? Then disappeared for a good chunk of the year and came back and wasn't playing well probably due to said concussion?

Or was is the year prior when he was incredible 95% of his starts?

Or are you confusing reimer with gustavsson or scrivens?

What? Gustavsson has always sucked. Well, at least when he played with the leafs. Nothing spectacular about his goaltending. Scrivens, lol. Imagine, that's our hope. Scrivens. We're fucked.

And Reimer, please. The year prior, he was good pretty in the later parts of the regular season. He has never proven himself yet by playing a full season (82 games). Um, even if he didn't have that concussion, he would still be garbage. Listen, I know a lot of you are in denial, I'm cool with that. But I'm not falling for shit the media feeds me. I watch them play and what I've seen is average at best. AVERAGE. All of our current goalies.

I like to think leaf fans use the concussion excuse just as a way of means to justify how garbage Reimer is. I'm not saying it didn't affect his play, it probably did. But for fucksakes, did anyone not watch the last season? He was outright garbage. He played like he didn't give a shit. So please. Even if he had concussion, he could have tried at least.

Edit: Again, sorry Montreal fans but for some reason, I wanted Subban and now I'm asking for Carey Price. I'd love to have him play for the leafs. Now, sorry leaf fans. That's a goalie.

What? Gustavsson has always sucked. Well, at least when he played with the leafs. Nothing spectacular about his goaltending. Scrivens, lol. Imagine, that's our hope. Scrivens. We're fucked.

And Reimer, please. The year prior, he was good pretty in the last parts of the regular season. He has never proven himself yet playing a full season (82 games). Um, even if he didn't have that concussion, he would still be garbage. Listen, I know a lot of you are in denial, I'm cool with that. But I'm not falling for shit the media feeds me. I watch them play and what I've seen is average at best. AVERAGE. All of our current goalies.

I like to think leaf fans use the concussion excuse just as way of means to justify how garbage Reimer is. I'm not saying it didn't affect his play, it probably did. But for fucksakes, did anyone not watch the last season? He was outright garbage. He played like he didn't give a shit. So please. Even if he had concussion, he could have tried at least.

Want Bryz?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
The Leafs will NEVER find a better bargain than Luongo, unless they get lucky at drafting. Vancouver is in the weird situation that they have two starter-goalies, so you can get an Olympic gold medal/stanley cup finalist for the cheap, if you don't want that, then have fun overpaying someone worse or not making the playoffs for another couple years. I'd agree if you had to give up your best prospects for Luongo it'd be a crappy trade, but you won't have to because Vancouver wants to get rid of him too, so... take it, make the playoffs, be happy.

Acid08

Banned
The Leafs will NEVER find a better bargain than Luongo, unless they get lucky at drafting. Vancouver is in the weird situation that they have two starter-goalies, so you can get an Olympic gold medal/stanley cup finalist for the cheap, if you don't want that, then have fun overpaying someone worse or not making the playoffs for another couple years. I'd agree if you had to give up your best prospects for Luongo it'd be a crappy trade, but you won't have to because Vancouver wants to get rid of him too, so... take it, make the playoffs, be happy.

You might be forgetting about what the rest of their team is made of....

Want Bryz?

Nah. You can keep that bear fearful trainwreck. Holmgreen worked miracles to get him. I laugh, while you cry. I love it. Besides, I think he's going to get bought out. Well, if I was the flyers general manager, that's what I'd do.

Actually, I'm pretty sure we will have some leaf fans in here wanting Bryz so you never know man.

They aren't making the playoffs.

Real-talk Marvie? Or Sarcasm? Never know with you man.

You might be forgetting about what the rest of their team is made of....

League average goaltending over the course of either of the last two seasons would have gotten us in. It's the hole in our goal line that's been keeping us out of the playoffs; regardless of how that gets fixed, once it is we're in the playoffs.

Oh hey. I'm NOT the general manager so we probably will trade for Luongo (and probably give up a ridiculous bit) but as a leaf fan. He's not worth it. His contract sucks, his term sucks, he's not a proven goalie in the playoffs, he is past his prime (I believe so) and he's not getting younger, he's only getting older and as the term goes on, he will probably get worse and worse and guess what? He will be stuck with us. FUCK NO.

Stanley cup finalist? Really now. How many goals did he let in during a 7 game series? Jesus. I can't count within my 10 fingers.

Keep Luongo, or trade him back to Florida. I'd rather take my chances with Reimer. Thank you.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
/Red Wings fans after Detroit misses the playoffs this year

Nope. I already predict they won't make it and I say this season counts just as much.

ShaneB

Well, for all my nope-ness, I'm as guilty as it comes for being excited as hell when it all gets started again. Let's rock and roll baby.

CREMSteve

Lol @ Leafs fans saying Luongo isn't playoff-proven.

Dude not only finishes first overall in the reg season, but he also takes his team to the Stanley Cup Finals, but because he loses, suddenly he sucks.

Oh, and he bailed out his team in the Olympics and brought home the Gold after Brodeur tanked.

But nope, Luongo isn't proven, not good enough for Leaf fans.

I'm not a Canucks fans AT ALL, but I can acknowledge that the guy is a proven winner.

He'll make any team better, if you can get him relatively cheap, you'd be nuts not go for it.

Socreges

Banned
Edit: Hell, if the canucks don't want him, it says a lot. I know they got ginger and that's why they are getting rid of Luongo but I think Vancouver really doesn't want Luongo in net eitherway. He's done for as a canuck. I'm pretty sure canucks fans can agree with me here.
Schneider is younger, more affordable, carries less baggage, is arguably better and just went up in cost. That's why Luongo is being traded. He's still a great goalie.

nasero

Awesome to see hockey is back. Can't wait to see the B's going again.

I also love seeing the Boston media already begin to give Thomas shit, at least he was left alone for awhile.

/Red Wings fans after Detroit misses the playoffs this year

That would probably be better than the Leafs making it for me.

Yeah but what will they say next year?

Neither team's making it.

Nope. I already predict they won't make it and I say this season counts just as much.

I hope you all burn, and yes, I will be extremely infuriated if their playoffs streak ends because of a stupid shortened season.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Lol @ Leafs fans saying Luongo isn't playoff-proven.

Dude not only finishes first overall in the reg season, but he also takes his team to the Stanley Cup Finals, but because he loses, suddenly he sucks.

Oh, and he bailed out his team in the Olympics and brought home the Gold after Brodeur tanked.

But nope, Luongo isn't proven, not good enough for Leaf fans.

I'm not a Canucks fans AT ALL, but I can acknowledge that the guy is a proven winner.

He'll make any team better, if you can get him relatively cheap, you'd be nuts not go for it.

I think you're confusing Fortuneson for Leafs-GAF. Two different entities, he doesn't speak for any of us.

Marvie_3

Banned
I hope you all burn, and yes, I will be extremely infuriated if their playoffs streak ends because of a stupid shortened season.
THIS SEASON DOESN'T COUNT

I just realized that I don't have to see Andrew Brunette or Sean O'Donnell in a Blackhawks jersey ever again and it was a nice feeling.

Top Bottom