• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2013 |OT| - "Double-B to Double-M" The Milbury Leafs Era Begins NOW

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Yeah, the Canucks and Luongo fucking suck, losing to the later Stanley Cup winner three years in a row, such embarassing losses, all Luongo's fault, Leafs should never give up a couple week players and picks for him, not even that. Reimer's the future, people, don't you see it.

Well, canucks won the president's trophy. Does that mean that the canucks are proven as the best team in the league/playoffs? They got beat in 5 games to LA. Fucking LA.

I don't see how losing to the championship team last year and the year before is a serious mark against him. But I can see where you're coming from: His playoff stats - while playing for a far better team than the Leafs - are not that exciting and suggest a ceiling similar to what we had back when our GMs tried to sign competent goalies.

Nonetheless, I'm not going to fault Leafs fans for wanting to see an actual NHL-level goalie start for us. It's been so, so long.

And speaking of the Canucks, I think Burrows is a buyout candidate. Dude's seen declining output over the past few seasons and going to be 32 in April with a 4.5 cap hit. AGAINST THE GRAIN

Marvie_3

Banned
Absolutely.

Too bad GMs can't trade cap space and/or buyouts.
jbbWOP3xr0vIhk.jpg

Fucking LA? Did you even WATCH the playoffs last year? The Kings played fantastic, they were an unstoppable juggernaut. Luongo did NOT play poorly in that series, he was one of the only bright spots on his team in the first few games, he was pulled because Vancouver has wanted an excuse to pull the trigger on him.

Are you saying you as a LEafs fan wouldn't be happy with first overall, and game 7 of the finals, instead of missing the playoffs on an annual basis?

Give me a fucking break.

Yes I did. Every bit of it. And there's a reason I was nervous as heck as I really depise canucks and their cocky as fans (sorry!) as I thought canucks could have had that series. Did you misss someone called Jonathan Quick?. He played out of his mind, out of this world. Dude was incredible to watch. He was amazing. I could go on and on. LA, the team in front of him didn't play that great. Luongo and the whole canucks team shit the bed. Luongo definitely.

Um, he was pulled because Schneider (spelling?) was a better goalie. They had confidence in him. There's a reason he played the remaining games.

Uh.... I would be pretty happy at dominating the regular season but I'm more of a playoff guy as I want my team to succeed. If you are doing good in the regular season, you better perform in the playoffs and don't shatter my heart like the way canucks did it TWICE to their fans. Luongo does that. I don't want that.

As I said, also depending on what we give up to get him. We also miss the playoffs mainly due to goaltending issues, but leaf fans are lying to themselves if they think that's the only issue. Our MAJOR issue is goaltending.

I'll give you a break by not responding, you cool with that? :)

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Who wins the Calder this year?

Calder%2BTrophy%2Bcurrent.jpg

- Ryan Strome (NYI)
- Brandon Saad (CHI)
- Mika Zibanejad (OTT)
- Jonathan Huberdeau (FLA)
- Dougie Hamilton (BOS)
- Mikael Granlund (MIN)
- Nail Yakupov (EDM)
- Vladimir Tarasenko (STL)
- Chris Kreider (NYR)
- Justin Schultz (EDM)
- Mark Scheifele (WPG)
- Sven Baertschi (CGY)

Any others?

CCF23

Yes I did. Every bit of it. And there's a reason I was nervous as heck as I really depise canucks and their cocky as fans (sorry!) as I thought canucks could have had that series. Did you misss someone called Jonathan Quick?. He played out of his mind, out of this world. Dude was incredible to watch. He was amazing. I could go on and on. LA, the team in front of him didn't play that great. Luongo and the whole canucks team shit the bed. Luongo definitely.

Um, he was pulled because Schneider (spelling?) was a better goalie. They had confidence in him. There's a reason he played the remaining games.

Uh.... I would be pretty happy at dominating the regular season but I'm more of a playoff guy as I want my team to succeed. If you are doing good in the regular season, you better perform in the playoffs and don't shatter my heart like the way canucks did it TWICE to their fans. Luongo does that. I don't want that.

As I said, also depending on what we give up to get him. We also miss the playoffs mainly due to goaltending issues, but leaf fans are lying to themselves if they think that's the only issue. Our MAJOR issue is goaltending.

I'll give you a break by not responding, you cool with that? :)

Wait...what?

CCF23

- Ryan Strome (NYI)
- Brandon Saad (CHI)
- Mika Zibanejad (OTT)
- Dougie Hamilton (BOS)
- Mikael Granlund (MIN)
- Nail Yakupov (EDM)
- Chris Kreider (NYR)
- Justin Schultz (EDM)
- Mark Scheifele (WPG)
- Sven Baertschi (CGY)

Any others?

Huberdeau, Granlund, or Tarasenko. I think the system Tarasenko plays in may rule him out, so Huberdeau or Granlund. Toss up.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window

- Ryan Strome (NYI)
- Brandon Saad (CHI)
- Mika Zibanejad (OTT)
- Dougie Hamilton (BOS)
- Mikael Granlund (MIN)
- Nail Yakupov (EDM)
- Chris Kreider (NYR)
- Justin Schultz (EDM)
- Mark Scheifele (WPG)
- Sven Baertschi (CGY)
please happen

- Ryan Strome (NYI)
- Brandon Saad (CHI)
- Mika Zibanejad (OTT)
- Dougie Hamilton (BOS)
- Mikael Granlund (MIN)
- Nail Yakupov (EDM)
- Chris Kreider (NYR)
- Justin Schultz (EDM)
- Mark Scheifele (WPG)
- Sven Baertschi (CGY)

Any others?

Nyquist or Smith

- Ryan Strome (NYI)
- Brandon Saad (CHI)
- Mika Zibanejad (OTT)
- Dougie Hamilton (BOS)
- Mikael Granlund (MIN)
- Nail Yakupov (EDM)
- Chris Kreider (NYR)
- Justin Schultz (EDM)
- Mark Scheifele (WPG)
- Sven Baertschi (CGY)

Any others?
Gally perhaps.

Cake Boss

Banned

- Ryan Strome (NYI)
- Brandon Saad (CHI)
- Mika Zibanejad (OTT)
- Dougie Hamilton (BOS)
- Mikael Granlund (MIN)
- Nail Yakupov (EDM)
- Chris Kreider (NYR)
- Justin Schultz (EDM)
- Mark Scheifele (WPG)
- Sven Baertschi (CGY)

Any others?

Zibenejad is dead, Silfverberg over him, PPG and leading the best team in the AHL.

/ Oilers fan post.

My pick is Tarensenko.

Solo

- Ryan Strome (NYI)
- Brandon Saad (CHI)
- Mika Zibanejad (OTT)
- Dougie Hamilton (BOS)
- Mikael Granlund (MIN)
- Nail Yakupov (EDM)
- Chris Kreider (NYR)
- Justin Schultz (EDM)
- Mark Scheifele (WPG)
- Sven Baertschi (CGY)

Any others?

Baertschi

Hopefully Gally next year.

Seguin

Banned

- Ryan Strome (NYI)
- Brandon Saad (CHI)
- Mika Zibanejad (OTT)
- Dougie Hamilton (BOS)
- Mikael Granlund (MIN)
- Nail Yakupov (EDM)
- Chris Kreider (NYR)
- Justin Schultz (EDM)
- Mark Scheifele (WPG)
- Sven Baertschi (CGY)

Any others?

If dougie is in the nhl he'll be playing low sheltered minutes. Nogo for him. My money is on baertschi

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
I actually think Justin Schultz has to be considered the front-runner for the Calder.

He's the oldest of the bunch and will get a lot of PP time to pad his point totals. The Oilers PP was pretty good last year.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

- Ryan Strome (NYI)
- Brandon Saad (CHI)
- Mika Zibanejad (OTT)
- Dougie Hamilton (BOS)
- Mikael Granlund (MIN)
- Nail Yakupov (EDM)
- Chris Kreider (NYR)
- Justin Schultz (EDM)
- Mark Scheifele (WPG)
- Sven Baertschi (CGY)

Any others?

MorganRielly.MapleLeafs.jpg

If the Laffs were to make the playoffs I'd be more worried about the team in front on Luongo than Luongo himself. At least he has been in the playoffs before.

But there's a reason goalies are known to be your last point of defense and Luongo ain't cutting it.

Because, you know, Luongo's only been the best player in the Dallas series, the Anaheim series, the St. Louis series, the San Jose series, etc...

He's inconsistent in the playoffs, sure. I can buy that. To say he's straight up terrible in the playoffs? Complete fabrication.

Look, this can go back and forth. It's pointless. Point is, he shits the bed come playoffs. He can't perform at a high level when a team needs him the most. He seems to break pretty easily. Did you guys enjoy the fact that he played solid not spectacular in those other series but when it really counted, he bailed out mentally and physically? The fuck.

Yeah, the Canucks and Luongo fucking suck, losing to the later Stanley Cup winner three years in a row, such embarassing losses, all Luongo's fault, Leafs should never give up a couple week players and picks for him, not even that. Reimer's the future, people, don't you see it.

Pretty much. Except I don't like Reimer as well. I don't like any of our goalies so far. It's just a shitty situation that we're stuck in. I might as ask Joseph and Befour or Potvin to come out of retirement and play for us.

I don't see how losing to the championship team last year and the year before is a serious mark against him. But I can see where you're coming from: His playoff stats - while playing for a far better team than the Leafs - are not that exciting and suggest a ceiling similar to what we had back when our GMs tried to sign competent goalies.

Oh my god, thank you. Someone that understands me. It's okay, I don't want you to ruin your reputation here for somewhat agreeing with me. The leafs brigade in here might dis-owned you as well.

Nonetheless, I'm not going to fault Leafs fans for wanting to see an actual NHL-level goalie start for us. It's been so, so long.

Hey, even I'm saying it will probably happen but I really don't want it to happen though. I can see leaf fans wanting him though as they are desperate to cling to anything right now. Hell, I am as well but I can do without some of the blue and white glue they have been sniffing on.

Wait...what?

What? Jonathan Quick played amazing. I think he's the main reason they won that damn series. The team in front of him played good. Canucks flatout shit the bed and sucked including the infamous Luongo.

----------------------------

- Ryan Strome (NYI)
- Brandon Saad (CHI)
- Mika Zibanejad (OTT)
- Dougie Hamilton (BOS)
- Mikael Granlund (MIN)
- Nail Yakupov (EDM)
- Chris Kreider (NYR)
- Justin Schultz (EDM)
- Mark Scheifele (WPG)
- Sven Baertschi (CGY)

These are my picks. I'd love to see Justin win it as well. There will be some glorious tears in here from the usual ducks fans.

Solo

Man, Habs lineup looks pretty bad. Especially because I don't trust Carey Price to make a difference.

Hard to make a difference when your blueline is ECHL calibre, At least this season the D won't be such a clusterfuck. Still bad, don't get me wrong, but not as bad as last season.

CCF23

What? Jonathan Quick played amazing. I think he's the main reason they won that damn series. The team in front of him played good. Canucks flatout shit the bed and sucked including the infamous Luongo.

Quick did play amazing, along with the rest of his team. There's a reason they were never even close to being in danger of losing a series.

I wouldn't say the Canucks "shit the bed", in fact, they were probably the team to push the Kings the most on their run to the cup. The games were close, and had Dank been healthy, it likely would've been a 6 or 7 game series.

Luongo was fine. He definitely did not "suck" in the series. I have my doubts as to how many West Coast games you even stayed up and watched, because by what you say it feels like you didn't actually watch the games.

Luongo was fine. He definitely did not "suck" in the series. I have my doubts as to how many West Coast games you even stayed up and watched, because by what you say it feels like you didn't actually watch the games.

Fine, Luongo didn't suck. Canucks suck. Your whole team sucks. Much better? And I've watched every single canucks game. Every single one, playoffs ONLY. I just enjoyed watching your team getting destroyed. Brought tears down my cheek. Dude, lets just end it at you are more knowledgeable than me and therefore I don't have to continue this when it's going nowhere.

I'm sure Toronto will try and get Luongo. I don't want him here, I see him as a regular season goalie and that's it. Playoff performer? Not even close.

Damn, so many long-time members of Habs-GAF are gone :_(

Seriously, I agree. Where did Wolf <--- I don't recall his name exactly, but he was a huge habs fan.

Also, isn't MPW a habs fan? And also this one other dude, only if I could recall his name. He was like the that dude of the past (Markov?)

CCF23

Fine, Luongo didn't suck. Canucks suck. Your whole team sucks. Much better? And I've watched every single canucks game. Every single one, playoffs ONLY. I just enjoyed watching your team getting destroyed. Brought tears down my cheek. Dude, lets just end it at you are more knowledgeable than me and therefore I don't have to continue this when it's going nowhere.

I'm sure Toronto will try and get Luongo. I don't want him here, I see him as a regular season goalie and that's it. Playoff performer? Not even close.

What are your options for goaltending? Now and/or for the future?

Reimer? Scrivens? I just don't see why there are any Leaf fans that wouldn't want Luongo. Even if he ends up being a stop gap while you develop a goalie. It's not like the Leafs are entering a Cup window.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Look, this can go back and forth. It's pointless. Point is, he shits the bed come playoffs. He can't perform at a high level when a team needs him the most. He seems to break pretty easily. Did you guys enjoy the fact that he played solid not spectacular in those other series but when it really counted, he bailed out mentally and physically? The fuck.

Mhmm a certain gold medal says he CAN perform when it matters. Your sample is ONE Stanley cup final series where he shit the bed. So what. Against that you have countless playoff series and several regular seasons in which he performed admirably. Also it's a bit funny coming from a Leafs fan saying "all that matters is we need a goalie who can win the stanley cup final! Regular season and EVERY OTHER SERIES BEFORE THE FINAL doesn't matter". He lost ONE stanley cup final series, which makes him suddenly a terrible choice for the Leafs, because... I don't know.

I think you have other things to worry about first.

Solo

Seriously, I agree. Where did Wolf <--- I don't recall his name exactly, but he was a huge habs fan.

Also, isn't MPW a habs fan? And also this one other dude, only if I could recall his name. He was like the MPW of the past (Markov?)

Wolf, X, Markov are all long gone or so it seems :(

MPW is technically a Habs fan, but his incessant depression is a mood killer. In that sense, you're right, he's basically Markov 2.0 :lol

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

Oh cool

So we want goalies that can't play during the regular season, only the playoffs?

I dunno about you, but leafs didnt make the playoffs the entirety of the last CBA - so I want some regular season performers

$5.3 million to get a really good chance for the playoffs? Fuck yes. Good goalies don't come around often, doesn't matter if they're 30 years and over!

The last 5 times we made the playoffs it was with "over the hill" guys

But you want young guys with loads of potential like Andrew Raycroft

The problem I see with Lu for the Leafs is he probably makes them a playoff team, but by the time they are looking to be a cup contender he likely won't be able to perform to the level they need and they won't have the capital to replace him with someone who meets their needs.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
it may have been discussed already, but any guesses/ideas on when games are going to start?
Seems like sometime between the 15th-19th.

CCF23

Mhmm a certain gold medal says he CAN perform when it matters. Your sample is ONE Stanley cup final series where he shit the bed. So what. Against that you have countless playoff series and several regular seasons in which he performed admirably. Also it's a bit funny coming from a Leafs fan saying "all that matters is we need a goalie who can win the stanley cup final! Regular season and EVERY OTHER SERIES BEFORE THE FINAL doesn't matter". He lost ONE stanley cup final series, which makes him suddenly a terrible choice for the Leafs, because... I don't know.

I think you have other things to worry about first.

...and even though he played some AWFUL games in that SCF, he won two of them 1-0.

1-0.

Top Bottom