• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2013 |OT| - "Double-B to Double-M" The Milbury Leafs Era Begins NOW

Lehner has been reassigned to Bingo. Makes sense since the Sens want to make sure he keeps playing.

I thought he'd go on the road trip to Florida and play 1 game before sending him back but I guess not.

I figure we'll deal Bishop by the deadline and he'll be back up for good by then.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
While I'll admit his development situation has been less than optimal I don't think half a good season in the AHL gives him the right to demand a trade... They made a mistake committing to bringing him up last year - when he got hurt in camp they should of sent him back to Portland (hindsight 20/20) because he looked completely lost in game action from the minute he came back. I'm glad he's tearing it up in the AHL right now but requesting a trade seems a bit much...

The Islanders kept him in the league last year, playing on the fourth line (since he wasn't ready for full NHL duty), because he had a high cap hit (rookie bonuses) and a low salary (playing on the fourth line, so he wouldn't hit any bonus threshold). That's straight fucked and the kid deserves to play for a team that respects his development.

lol terribad rumors of Luongo to Dallas for Benn. Yes.. that makes sense internets....

Internet rumour or not, I would shit if this happened. Come on home, Jamie!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If that were true you wouldn't be able to play the minor league players.

Wrong.

I thought I remember reading awhile back that they had to play one game before they'd make it to the game. Can't say how true that is.

Edit: AHL/CHL require wavers to be authorized, could take awhile. Rookies with one minute of NHL ice time can then be placed in the game per NHLPA agreement. This was just posted http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9254760.page

I thought so. Thanks for posting this.

cube444

The asshole of the earth.

EDIT: so when are Price's sister and Galchenyuk's sister gonna hook up?

BBCXVmiCIAEEuUn.jpg:large

Photoshop a toque on her and she looks exactly like her brother.

Ovechkin is 27, Backstrom 25, Laich 29, Green 27, Carlson 23. Neuvirth is 24, Holtby 23.

Agewise I think they're fairly safe but how much rope does GMGM have ? How many kicks at the can is he going to get ?

The Sens will get him for a 4th round pick, and he'll end up scoring 50 goals for them next year.

I like your thinking :) It worked for Turris maybe we can do it again. Then again other prospects/agents are probably feeling more empowered to get themselves moved elsewhere if they feel they're not getting a fair chance.

toro5741

The Islanders kept him in the league last year, playing on the fourth line (since he wasn't ready for full NHL duty), because he had a high cap hit (rookie bonuses) and a low salary (playing on the fourth line, so he wouldn't hit any bonus threshold). That's straight fucked and the kid deserves to play for a team that respects his development.

You really think Snow wanted to burn a year of his entry level deal to play him on the 4th line?

He was actually getting a lot of work on the 1st line with Moulson and Tavares in camp until his groin injury forced him to miss the start of the season, not to mention they never needed his salary to reach the floor after they traded for Rolston. Nino ended up bouncing between lines (including the 4th) because he looked lost out there, and because of his injury they were well past the point of being able to send him back to juniors.

Cake Boss

Banned
Then they should have sent back to the WHL. Dumb descion to let him rott in the 4th line.

Also not giving the kid at least a camp invite while going out of your way to pick up crappy players off waivers to fill in roster spots?

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
toro is right on the money. The Isles haven't been screwing Nino over so much as some bad luck and bad timing for injuries has made it difficult to get him settled and moving forward.

aidan

You really think Snow wanted to burn a year of his entry level deal to play him on the 4th line?

He was actually getting a lot of work on the 1st line with Moulson and Tavares in camp until his groin injury forced him to miss the start of the season, not to mention they never needed his salary to reach the floor after they traded for Rolston. Nino ended up bouncing between lines (including the 4th) because he looked lost out there, and because of his injury they were well past the point of being able to send him back to juniors.

They should have sent him back to the Winterhawks, regardless of whether he'd played his nine games or not. He wasn't ready for the NHL and could have been playing top line minutes in Portland. Instead they kept him, hurting their team and hurting his development.

toro5741

They should have sent him back to the Winterhawks, regardless of whether he'd played his nine games or not. He wasn't ready for the NHL and could have been playing top line minutes in Portland. Instead they kept him, hurting their team and hurting his development.

I agree with this - they made a mistake keeping him with the team and should have sent him back the minute it was clear that he wouldn't make it back from injury in time to get in any of his 9 game tryout, but they painted themselves into a corner...

Edit: Looks like the agent is the source, and they're not moving him...
https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/status/293819904442892288
https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/status/293820093060767745

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Schneider back in net tomorrow was always a given.

Glad to see Schroeder back up, now hopefully our second line will have some chemistry... Still sucks though. Raymond-Schroeder-Kassian..

Glad to see Schroeder back up, now hopefully our second line will have some chemistry... Still sucks though. Raymond-Schroeder-Kassian..

Actually. It'll be Raymond-Schroeder-Weise. Kassian's been promoted to the top line.

aidan

This was the 2nd PP unit, along with Hamhuis/Bieksa.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Raymond-Schroeder-Weise

Is that right?

Technically, Schroeder's on the "3rd" line.

So it'd be

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Higgins-Burrows-Hansen
Raymond-Schroeder-Weise
Volpatti-Malhotra-Lapierre

But considering that it's really only the 1st and 4th line that are set, those middle two lines are pretty interchangeable and blurred until Kesler comes back. Basically, the second line is whichever one can score.

Smiley90

I thought Kassian to the top was just an in-game line experiment? I don't doubt we'll see it at some point during the game, but I don't think to start the game. I expect Burrows with the Sedins to start...

EDIT: those are fucked up lines, one has no centers and the other 2...

I thought Kassian to the top was just an in-game line experiment? I don't doubt we'll see it at some point during the game, but I don't think to start the game. I expect Burrows with the Sedins to start...
Burrows has been terrible to start, Kassian's at least shown success with the Sedins, so it's not a surprise he got the bump. If he can keep potting him their passes, AV will probably keep him there. Not a bad idea either though, like CanucksArmy said, this lineup at least ensures every line in the top 9 has someone who's been playing hockey during the lockout.

Yeah how dare an adult make descions about his future.
GJwIbi1.png

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Lighthousehockey said it well also, regarding Nino

Every once in a while you hear rumblings that Niederreiter is frustrated with this or that about his handling, but whether he realizes it or not he's a 20-year-old with raw skills and in need of some polishing. His injury- and fourth-line rattled rookie season was unfortunate for both parties, but one hopes he realizes his struggles weren't simply because of how he was used; it was also because he clearly wasn't as ready to be used as the Isles hoped and Niederreiter would prefer.

The motivations of whoever leaked it to media probably have more to do with getting him a promotion to the NHL sooner rather than later. Regardless of the validity of this report and the seriousness of the party(ies) that made and leaked it, it's unlikely to lead to anything right now other than more off-ice drama and behind-closed-doors discussions.

And Arthur Staple of Newsday confirms the Isles won't be moving him:

Arthur Staple
‏@StapeNewsday
Confirmed @KatieStrangESPN report that the agent for @thelnino25 asked #Isles for a trade, but team will not move him.

toro5741

Anyone defending the Islanders re: Nino is almost as stupid as that organization.

Assuming this little passive-aggressive nugget is a shot at me...

I'm not defending their decision to keep him up last year after he got hurt, but one thing's for sure I don't think they should be bringing him up again unless they're going to give him top-6 minutes, which is what he needs (regardless of whether it's at the AHL or NHL level) in order to develop properly.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So you're not going to play him, and you won't trade him after he asks for one? What could go wrong.

Smiley90

I don't see Kassian lasting on the top line. I give it one period tops.

Whoever plays best in the first period will be playing with the Sedins in the second period. Rest gets shuffled like crazy. Throw everything at it, see what sticks.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Re. Nino Niederreiter...

It sucks that they fucked up last year by promoting him to the NHL when he wasn't ready, but stuff like that happens. Especially to struggling clubs like the Islanders who don't have strong rosters to begin with and are pressured to sell "the future" to fans. It happened to the Oilers last year with Anton Lander and, to a lesser extent, Magnus Pääjärvi.

It's fine that they're keeping him in the AHL this year to refine his game. It's what good clubs (e.g. Detroit) do. But I don't understand the no-invite-to-camp thing; that part seems odd.

toro5741

It's fine that they're keeping him in the AHL this year to refine his game. It's what good clubs (e.g. Detroit) do. But I don't understand the no-invite-to-camp thing; that part seems odd.

Agreed on the camp thing, Snow's response to this is bizarre. According to Katie Strang the "shortened training camp was determining factor". I don't really know what that means.

Purely speculation here, but I think as far as Nino (and d-man Matt Donovan who was also not invited to camp but likely to be the 1st guy called up should an injury occur) is concerned, I'm guessing it was meant to be some sort of motivational tool... looks like it may have backfired in Nino's case?

Acid08

Banned
Hey bros watching Twin Peaks for the first time, this is super addicting. Just finished episode four, wish I didn't have to go to work ;(

I think Deadly Premonition spoiled some of the surprises for me though.

100% sure the sheriff and his little club are behind some of this.

Hey bros watching Twin Peaks for the first time, this is super addicting. Just finished episode four, wish I didn't have to go to work ;(

You are in for a treat, a series only overshined by a few.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

The only part of this show I've ever seen is the final scene (I was curious to see how it ended).

Is it worth watching everything else?

Yeah how dare an adult make descions about his future.

His agent probably saw what happened Turris and figured they can do the same.

Would Turris be where he is at now and have a 5-year $17.5M extension if he was toiling away on the 4th line in Phoenix under Dave Tippett ?

No.

Cake Boss

Banned
His agent probably saw what happened Turris and figured they can do the same.

Would Turris be where he is at now and have a 5-year $17.5M extension if he was toiling away on the 4th line in Phoenix under Dave Tippett ?

No.

So what you are saying is Nino to Ottawa (e4)?

Speaking of idiots, that idiot suggests that Ottawa has interest in Luo go, does this guy even follow the sport anymore?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Love Twin Peaks. I also recommend the movies Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway by David Lynch. Not for everyone, but I enjoy his stuff.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

Speaking of idiots, that idiot suggests that Ottawa has interest in Luo go, does this guy even follow the sport anymore?
He has to use those Canadian teams, gotta get those hits. I'm surprised he hasn't put up a Subban / Lu swap rumor yet.

Acid08

Banned
Love Twin Peaks. I also recommend the movies Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway by David Lynch. Not for everyone, but I enjoy his stuff.

I do love Mulholland Drive.

I'm curious what the second season of Twin Peaks is. The first season is supposed to pretty self contained(from what I've heard). It's waaaaaay more episodes too. Also planning to watch Fire Walk With Me.

This really has nothing to do with Ottawa (although he was high on our draft list and when he was gone we traded our draft pick for Rundblad IIRC). Turris's career and earnings went up when he got a trade out of Phoenix. If Nino's agent thinks he can benefit in the same way he'll push Snow, whether it's a trade to Ottawa or wherever.

Who says we have interest in Lu ? Besides hfboards that is, I keep reading how we're possible destination (LOL) from the geniuses on there.

That's almost as funny as the Lehner for Teuvo Teräväinen trade thread on hfb.

I do love Mulholland Drive.

I'm curious what the second season of Twin Peaks is. The first season is supposed to pretty self contained(from what I've heard). It's waaaaaay more episodes too. Also planning to watch Fire Walk With Me.

It's a damn fine cup of coffee.
Not really.

Top Bottom