• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2013 |OT| - "Double-B to Double-M" The Milbury Leafs Era Begins NOW

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Only us fair weather Crosbies around these parts, I'm afraid. To counter cube's points:

1. Bylsma is a positive guy and did a lot for this team. However, the cracks have been showing for the past 2 seasons.

2. Staal is better than Sutter, but Sutter is still a solid 3rd line center.

3. Letting Michalek go was the biggest head-scratcher for me, though I don't think the D is that terrible.

4. MAF...is an average goaltender. It's true.

Not sure where to put the blame, but again...I'll give it 15 games before pressing the panic button.
Hmmm...maybe tuning him out?

Staal was tough. He wasn't returning and the return was pretty good all things considered. Though I think his loss really hurt.

Michalek is a head scratcher...

MAF just having a bad season? What happened to him??? And Vokuun supposedly has been playing well, no?

im gonna say it, fleury is similar to how osgood was for the wings. just had to be good enough to win the cup. one of the most overrated goalies in my opinion

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I just played goalie in indoor soccer in an intramural league. They use nets similar to hockey, there's wall play, and it's about the size of a rink. So the flow of the game is pretty similar.

I let in 7 fucking goals. We lost 9-0. Shit is truly humbling. Why would any normal person ever choose to be a goalie?

oh right

Used to play houseleague soccer, everyone had to take at least one turn in net. I let in 4 goals in one half, the girl who replaced me in the second half let in 1. I'm a little bitch when people are kicking or shooting things at me at a high velocity though. It's a shame because I'd like to think I have really quick reflexes.

Marvie_3

Banned
ARRGH, MY GROIN
iOzBHsrEUgn6U.gif

injuries have taken their toll. mid 20s and i had to quit playing

I still play hockey. I just can't play goalie anymore.

Socreges

Banned
Used to play houseleague soccer, everyone had to take at least one turn in net. I let in 4 goals in one half, the girl who replaced me in the second half let in 1. I'm a little bitch when people are kicking or shooting things at me at a high velocity though. It's a shame because I'd like to think I have really quick reflexes.
That's my usual experience playing in net. Suited me fine. Let in a goal, someone else goes in (not much incentive for doing well)! But with this team I have been the goalie since I didn't want to play too many times a week (I'm on an outdoor team). Change of plan might be needed.

I always loved playing goalie in hockey, though. There's something very cool about making saves with the equipment on.

Acid08

Banned
Can't believe we got out of that period with a lead. Defense looks horrible in our own zone. Guess that's to be expected when two elite dmen and one great dman are out.

Acid08

Banned
So Acid, in comparison of last seasons Winnik to this years, how would you compare them?

YES !!
He looks pretty much the same but your forecheck as a team is just crazy. I think it suits him better. Would have loved to keep him, wish he didn't try to inflate his worth by demanding tons of cash.

Revenant

I just played goalie in indoor soccer in an intramural league. They use nets similar to hockey, there's wall play, and it's about the size of a rink. So the flow of the game is pretty similar.

I let in 7 fucking goals. We lost 9-0. Shit is truly humbling. Why would any normal person ever choose to be a goalie?

oh right

It isn't for the faint of heart. I've done it for indoor soccer, actually was a lot of fun, I prefer hockey but I guess any way I can throw away my instinct to self preservation is all the same. Did quite well too, some guy asked me to join his intramural team :lol

I wish I still had the flexibility to play goalie during hockey games. I'd break/tear something if I tried to play it now. :lol

become tall like me, then you can just stack the pads all the damn time and piss off everyone.

He looks pretty much the same but your forecheck as a team is just crazy. I think it suits him better. Would have loved to keep him, wish he didn't try to inflate his worth by demanding tons of cash.

He wouldn't have done well under Carlyle. I never knew him to be in a great position all the time in the crease, but his speed matches Koivus pretty well. When I watched him on the Sharks he seemed to do a bit more point work than he does now.

ZeroGravity

Don't know if it's really been discussed yet, but former NHLPA head Paul Kelly confirmed tonight what we all pretty much all suspected:

Kelly, who's been working with W. Graeme Roustan, the "face" of the project, stood up in front of city council and said the NHL not only wanted to expand the league to 32 teams, but had directly discussed doing so with him. Kelly led the union from October 2007-August 2009.

He would not say specifically who told him that. An immediate email to the NHL has yet to be returned.

"I've discussed it with many owners, the commissioner and many players," he said in a conversation after his presentation. "That's given me a strong sense that at some point there will be a second team [in the greater Toronto area].

Kelly added he believes expansion will take place in the next two or three years, "most likely" to Quebec City and Toronto

Marvie_3

Banned
become tall like me, then you can just stack the pads all the damn time and piss off everyone.
That's about the only way I could play goalie anymore: old style stand up goalie or just throw myself on the ice and hope to get in the way. :lol

Don't know if it's really been discussed yet, but former NHLPA head Paul Kelly confirmed tonight what we all pretty much all suspected:
I called that a LONG time ago. :lol

Acid08

Banned
He wouldn't have done well under Carlyle. I never knew him to be in a great position all the time in the crease, but his speed matches Koivus pretty well. When I watched him on the Sharks he seemed to do a bit more point work than he does now.
He was pretty vocal about his problems with our coaching, on the PK especially.

Ducks are just so tenacious. Constantly attacking, keeping pucks in. I noticed a couple times we had one player skating with the pick through the neutral zoneand after a couple seconds he would be surrounded by all five Ducks players. At least Nemo looks good.

Revenant

That's about the only way I could play goalie anymore: old style stand up goalie or just throw myself on the ice and hope to get in the way. :lol

yea, I've been fortunate to have size on my side as my flexibility isn't really all that great, working on that though (thank you for the advice dastardly!) shit is tough sometimes but frankly i think goaltender may be the most rewarding position I've ever played for any sport.

Hey Heretic, what's Anaheim as a city actually like? All I know about it is it's near beaches, there's a lot of concrete, and they have the Anaheim Convention Centre where E3/BlizzCon/PAX usually are.

EDIT: lmao @ your avatar Marvie. It's full of WEEN WEEN.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
How would you even begin to gain a fanbase on a new team in the Toronto area?
Most of the Toronto fans I know are pretty fair weather, they say they love the team and wear the hats but can't name a player outside of Kessel. It won't take much for a new team to gain a strong fan base.

Marvie_3

Banned
yea, I've been fortunate to have size on my side as my flexibility isn't really all that great, working on that though (thank you for the advice dastardly!) shit is tough sometimes but frankly i think goaltender may be the most rewarding position I've ever played for any sport.
Definitely. I'd love to go back to playing it but it'd take a ton of work to get back into a condition where I'm not going to get DiPietro'd.

Why not Hamilton? Or GTA?
Expansion fees from Hamilton/GTA would be far greater than relocation fees. Arenas are the reason neither of those places would be considered for a Coyotes relocation. Copps needs a ton of renovations($150M+) to get up to NHL standards and the Markham arena has been put on ice for now. QC and Seattle both have brand new arenas planned/under construction.

Socreges

Banned
Do you guys like the idea of expansion? I feel like two new teams would dilute talent availability, drive up player salaries, and ensure that teams in shitty markets would not move.

How would you even begin to gain a fanbase on a new team in the Toronto area?
It'd be weird. Leafs converts, basically. Though I can't imagine what fans would want to leave after the quality hockey that they've witnessed over recent years.

Top Bottom